2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

10 hours ago, Sunshines11 said:

Hi all... I am driving a 2017 Forester FNA... May I ask if anyone here got to replace their Wheel Bearings at a mileage of around 65,000km? I never had to replace the wheel bearings on  my previous ride before 100,000km...

As my ride is no longer under warranty, I brought it to an external workshop and was told that the noise from the car is due to the wheel bearings...

It would cost $400+ to replace, is this the market rate? Or do I have ground to email Subaru and see if they are willing to do it out of goodwill since wheel bearings usually last more than 100,000km based on my Google results?

Many Thks in advance and have a great 2021! 🙂

Wheel bearings' wear and tear depends on a couple of factors. The road conditions that you mostly drive on, the condition of the shock absorbers, the weight you normally carry. If some of the ball bearings in the bearing is slightly damaged or deformed, then the wear will accelerate resulting in a shorter life. 65,000 km can be considered a short, but it certainly does not fall outside the range.

I can't comment on the price but my advice is to go to a reputable and good workshop to do the change. A good quality bearing and good workmanship is important to ensure that the replacement will last. I have changed wheel bearings in 2 of the cars I owned - all before reaching the 100,000 km mark. My first replacement lasted less than 20,000 km because I chose a cheapo workshop. Either he used poor spare part, had poor workmanship or both. For my second car, I used the AD as I know they will be at least use the original parts and has all the necessary tool and skill mechanics. It cost more but it lasted.

Maybe appealing to MI/Subaru may yield some discount. 

The good news is that once the bearing is changed, your car will sound much quieter. 

↡ Advertisement

On 1/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, kermitfm said:

Wheel bearings' wear and tear depends on a couple of factors. The road conditions that you mostly drive on, the condition of the shock absorbers, the weight you normally carry. If some of the ball bearings in the bearing is slightly damaged or deformed, then the wear will accelerate resulting in a shorter life. 65,000 km can be considered a short, but it certainly does not fall outside the range.

I can't comment on the price but my advice is to go to a reputable and good workshop to do the change. A good quality bearing and good workmanship is important to ensure that the replacement will last. I have changed wheel bearings in 2 of the cars I owned - all before reaching the 100,000 km mark. My first replacement lasted less than 20,000 km because I chose a cheapo workshop. Either he used poor spare part, had poor workmanship or both. For my second car, I used the AD as I know they will be at least use the original parts and has all the necessary tool and skill mechanics. It cost more but it lasted.

Maybe appealing to MI/Subaru may yield some discount. 

The good news is that once the bearing is changed, your car will sound much quieter. 

Hihi... Thks for e reply! 🙂

On 1/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, Sunshines11 said:

Hi all... I am driving a 2017 Forester FNA... May I ask if anyone here got to replace their Wheel Bearings at a mileage of around 65,000km? I never had to replace the wheel bearings on  my previous ride before 100,000km...

As my ride is no longer under warranty, I brought it to an external workshop and was told that the noise from the car is due to the wheel bearings...

It would cost $400+ to replace, is this the market rate? Or do I have ground to email Subaru and see if they are willing to do it out of goodwill since wheel bearings usually last more than 100,000km based on my Google results?

I am driving a July 2016 FXT, I replaced mine last year at abt same mileage as yours. Now at 72k mileage, I am again hearing some humming sound for another failing wheel bearing but just don't know which one. haha. The price is about right, I think abt $400+.

Me too, so many years I have driven, never had to change wheel bearings till this FXT. 

• Praise 1

Forester wheel bearing is not lasting. 

My FXT front one changed at around 80k and rear at about 90k.

On 20/01/2021 at 7:47 PM, Tohto said:

Forester wheel bearing is not lasting. 

My FXT front one changed at around 80k and rear at about 90k.

Hi,

I changed mine for the front left at 5k from collection .. managed to claim warranty despite bbk, sport rim etc. Hence the "nice" experience of stock tyres to pirelli scorpion to continental cpc6 to michelin primacy 3 all within 10km .. even reputed workshop tells me it was expected tyre "humming" .. lol ! 

Only good thing is that I sure know how quiet or noisy these 3 brands of tyres/model are .. then continental cpc6 was so noisy that I thought indeed was tyre humming when I could not hear the bad bearing ..  lol x2 !

Since then, I never had good feeling of the other 3 remaining factory bearings and changed all at about 40k and now getting to 80k mark after 3 yr plus .. and fingercrossed.

Btw, condensor, coil and even fan all had been changed around 60k+ out of warranty at my go-to Kim aircon at Eunos but all non-subaru parts but MIJ ones .. the fan was modded from a lower category of toyota Altis .. lol x3 !

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 3

7 hours ago, spawn101 said:

Any bros here got call or notice from Subaru about exhaust screw recall?

Hi Spawn,

I am on their service plan till 100k km and they did the recall job about 1.5 yrs at 40k+ km ago .. for front knocking noise in undercarriage directly below gear box area.

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 1

On the wheel bearing wearing out early for some......,., just thinking out loud....it could be due to our own driving pattern and the physics of thing.

Since this car is shiok for cornering and  fast pick up for XT, the weight and  habitual fast cornering may have inadvertently added stress to the bearing when compare to other car that is drove normally.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Fellow Forester Owners,

My beloved FXT just crossed the 100K after almost 5 years of reliable driving. My first instinct was to send for 100K servicing - and back to my usual outside Subaru WS since I stopped using MI servicing after the 3rd year because their basic serving ( $300 plus ) is more then double outside workshop. 

The total bill was around $860 and included all the 100K service items ( Engine oil/Diff oil/CVT oil/ Coolant flush/ Brake Flush/ Spark Plugs ). Did not do any research prior becuase MI has to be more expensive right?

So I was surprised when I checked MI website pricing for 100K servicing and found MI price to be not more then $750 for the same items! ( I could be wrong if I saw an older service menu )

Can anyone feedback how much their outside 100K servicing cost? If I was overcharged or its normal?

Cheers

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

My 2015 forester just completed 5 yrs servicing in Motor Image, and I'm considering to select a outside workshop for rest 5 yrs servicing. Can anybody help recommend a workshop? How is the price difference compared to MI?

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Miketow said:

So I was surprised when I checked MI website pricing for 100K servicing and found MI price to be not more then $750 for the same items! ( I could be wrong if I saw an older service menu )

Can anyone feedback how much their outside 100K servicing cost? If I was overcharged or its normal?

$500 for major servicing outside

36 minutes ago, hgglly said:

Hi All,

My 2015 forester just completed 5 yrs servicing in Motor Image, and I'm considering to select a outside workshop for rest 5 yrs servicing. Can anybody help recommend a workshop? How is the price difference compared to MI?

Thanks in advance.

If urs is stock can go bks. Zhnged can go bms. But actually either is fine. Depends on ur location.

Price wise def cheaper and faster. I can leave my car before I go to lunch and ready when I finish eating. Not the usual min 4 hours wait at MI.

On 18/01/2021 at 11:53 PM, Sunshines11 said:

Don't seem like wheel bearing worn out. Too premature. Could be misaligned wheels, or noisy/work tyres.

Neutral Newbie
18 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

If urs is stock can go bks. Zhnged can go bms. But actually either is fine. Depends on ur location.

Price wise def cheaper and faster. I can leave my car before I go to lunch and ready when I finish eating. Not the usual min 4 hours wait at MI.

Thanks a lot. Can share the detail address? seems not only one bks and bms workshop😂

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

Don't seem like wheel bearing worn out. Too premature. Could be misaligned wheels, or noisy/work tyres.

Did you owned a Forester?

Forester SJG series are famous for wheel bearing worn out.

My front wheel bearing change at 70k, rear at 80k.

52 minutes ago, hgglly said:

Thanks a lot. Can share the detail address? seems not only one bks and bms workshop😂

You can also try Dynamic Mechanics which is at Woodlands.  Many Forester service there also, including me.

For Forester XT, if you go to don't pro Subaru workshop.  Make sure they used the correct CVT oil. Must be original Subaru High Torque CVT oil.

Better not to any how use other CVT oil. As our FXT has 350Nm torque.

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement