2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Neutral Newbie

@ccc888 

Thank you!

It is more of the inconvenience / waste of time than scare. 🙂 Coming from my past personal encounter of dsg. 

↡ Advertisement

3rd Gear

@Bigleap  Vag dsg cui de….me also experienced twice….once bitten not shy lol

Never own a subaru before but Toyota/Nissan/Honda CVT are pretty reliable.

Turbocharged
On 12/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, Bigleap said:

Hello to all Forester owners!

I am looking to purchase a 3 years old used Forester XT with close to 100k mileage. Intended to renew when COE is up. Heard horror stories about cvt transmission nightmare. 

Appreciate if there’s advice & tips (any modifications to prolong longevity of the transmission) from fellow owners. Cheers!

what stories you heard?

think the only mod you can do is the cvt oil cooler. other than that, dont use the paddle shifter too much and carry out maintenance as per schedule.

if want to mod, just make sure you dont exceed 450nm. 

• Praise 1

On 12/25/2023 at 9:04 AM, Bigleap said:

Hello to all Forester owners!

I am looking to purchase a 3 years old used Forester XT with close to 100k mileage. Intended to renew when COE is up. Heard horror stories about cvt transmission nightmare. 

Appreciate if there’s advice & tips (any modifications to prolong longevity of the transmission) from fellow owners. Cheers!

Hi, Only aware those tuned up SJ fxt with cvt issue .. beyond 400bhp.

For normal mortals, just ensure cvt oil change every say 40-50k km vs official 90 to 100k km and you will be gold.

Best wishes with your search and ownership of SJG fxt ! 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 1/1/2024 at 4:57 PM, SiLangKia said:

just buy, confirm love it one, don't think so much

Mine coming to 8yrs soon. Still enjoy driving it.

If I drive till 10yrs, where to find a $10.5k depreciation per year nowadays  with a 2L turbo with 240hp SUV :grin:

• Praise 2

On 1/2/2024 at 11:37 AM, Stratovarius said:

what stories you heard?

think the only mod you can do is the cvt oil cooler. other than that, dont use the paddle shifter too much and carry out maintenance as per schedule.

if want to mod, just make sure you dont exceed 450nm. 

Just to add .. facelift sjg xt are with added cvt cooler as are later preface lift ones that I guess Subaru did found needed and probably the source of cvt reliability issue with those without.

Think one with remaining 3 yrs+ one are already with cvt cooler but this can be easily checked by looking for stock ones if already installed or just ensure facelift sjg xt.

Cheers.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all! I’m considering 2018 Forester currently for my next ride. Wanna hear from existing owners what’s the fuel consumption like for XT and non-XT?

My current ride is a 2009 Tiguan with full tank giving me between 400-480km depending on city/highway drive.

1st Gear
On 1/18/2024 at 8:30 AM, alin555 said:

Hi all! I’m considering 2018 Forester currently for my next ride. Wanna hear from existing owners what’s the fuel consumption like for XT and non-XT?

My current ride is a 2009 Tiguan with full tank giving me between 400-480km depending on city/highway drive.

Much depending on your driving routes and habits. Some normally around 400+km/tank for FXT.
My current FC for 2016 FXT can hit about ~600km/tank. Normally I will wait until no bar left on the fuel gauge, which I will need to pump about ~55 litres. Full tank is 60 litres.

Hope this information helps.

• Praise 1

4th Gear
On 1/10/2024 at 4:25 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Just to add .. facelift sjg xt are with added cvt cooler as are later preface lift ones that I guess Subaru did found needed and probably the source of cvt reliability issue with those without.

Think one with remaining 3 yrs+ one are already with cvt cooler but this can be easily checked by looking for stock ones if already installed or just ensure facelift sjg xt.

Cheers.

Which year are the face-lift? 

On 1/18/2024 at 12:00 PM, Ginyu said:

Which year are the face-lift? 

Hey Ginyu .. should be some time in 2015 onwards and my 2017 Oct has it but again, earlier facelift ones also dun have factory fitted cvt cooler but guess Subaru received at least some feedback on gb failure and had to incur this added $ to do so i.e. if dun hv, will be a good idea to retrofit aftermkt or even subaru's in our nice hot little red dot or hv chiong NS hwy often.  Cheers.

4th Gear
On 1/18/2024 at 12:23 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hey Ginyu .. should be some time in 2015 onwards and my 2017 Oct has it but again, earlier facelift ones also dun have factory fitted cvt cooler but guess Subaru received at least some feedback on gb failure and had to incur this added $ to do so i.e. if dun hv, will be a good idea to retrofit aftermkt or even subaru's in our nice hot little red dot or hv chiong NS hwy often.  Cheers.

Thanks for sharing, if get 2016 registered one, any chance that is factory fitted with cvt cooler? Or must get the 2017 ones. 

(edited)
On 1/18/2024 at 1:50 PM, Ginyu said:

Thanks for sharing, if get 2016 registered one, any chance that is factory fitted with cvt cooler? Or must get the 2017 ones. 

Oops ... dunno ..  just open up engine bay and peep in for obvious cvt cooler/radiator.

Kaisu owners like me removed this factory one and change to aftermkt upsized ones which I do not believe is necessary but those were crazy days.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20240118-154913_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f294add200f7538c6d12be51acee4855.jpg

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:30 AM, alin555 said:

Mine is a 2016 FXT, having a FC of about 330 - 350km on Ron98, but that is fc till about left 1/4 tank (3bar). So if continue I think will be the same fc of your current ride I suppose, normally pump about 40l like that. hope this helps. If on ron95, it would be worse, I mean the fc, perhaps drop about 10 - 20%.

• Praise 1

On 1/18/2024 at 3:45 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Oops ... dunno ..  just open up engine bay and peep in for obvious cvt cooler/radiator.

Kaisu owners like me removed this factory one and change to aftermkt upsized ones which I do not believe is necessary but those were crazy days.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20240118-154913_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f294add200f7538c6d12be51acee4855.jpg

Yes, same for mine, I also added this. I also have a lufi that can see this. If without this, a normal drive, the temp can go up to 90 or even 100Deg at times, which is quite high for a short drive. However, after adding this, I can drive for an hour the max temperature is only about 80 Deg which the improvement is significant. Like what others say, I suggest to change the CVT oil every 30K km.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Like to check with fellow member here on the SJ5 NA suspension.

is there any impact if we convert the rear suspension from the auto leveling one to the XT stock? If there is any impact if we would to do this?

look forward to some good advise.

↡ Advertisement