2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

On 3/26/2020 at 7:41 AM, PPeripheraL said:

Okay will take a look around/research before deciding on what brand/items to take the plunge for.

https://www.sti.jp/en/parts/feature/flexibletowerbar.html

Can be quite interesting.

As STi seems to create enhancement parts which improve car and driver input and response.

Anyway, there are many school of thoughts. There were also topics of Yamaha performance dampers:

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/business/pd/

Previously, Subaru were using them in their S204.

But if going for mix and match, would be more of trial and error.

There will always be pro and cons to an addition. Results will show in matter of time.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:31 PM, jessenchan said:

how bout the gas consumption ?

Depends on how often you drive with hard acceleration. Type of engine oil used.

Overall in comparison to turbo version, petrol consumption could be same or slight difference.

Or go for the SK model, petrol consumption in comparison to the SJ5 would be better. This is due to the direct injection technology.

Better control on the fuel injected as its based on the metered amount of intake air into the combustion chamber.

1 hour ago, thefalcon said:

Bro OnceInALifeTime, 
The brake Fluid is from MI, I'm not sure .

Sure. if you returning to MI for service. Just change according to their schedule. It will not hurt.

If you are intending to service in 3rd party workshops, do take note on the intervals.

• Praise 2

On 3/29/2020 at 10:19 PM, Sarion said:

still won't want to try Ohlins? 🙂

Hi Sarion,

Too expensive for me leh .... will not be an audi A6 still since ride compliant more than just spring and dampers.

Cheers.

Richard

On 3/28/2020 at 9:20 PM, Busytiger said:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your prompt reply as always.

A few issues to seek your advice :

1) does our Forester XT need to de-carbon due to to turbo engine? I see you do AOS, does it help for de-carbon?

2) do u guys have white smoke from your exhaust when after you cold start?

thanks bro!

Hi Busytiger,

Not knowledgeable in engine and performance but believe no harm trying out de-carbon every 50k km or 2 yrs+ to the best of our ability.  AOS was installed as precautionary measure since many shared this concern with the DIT engine of our fxt but believe it alleviates only and can never totally eliminate or avoid carbon built up (and other wear and tear) from aging.

Sure, white smoke every morning during cold start but primarily water vapor that condense on my tailpipe as well as black carbon particles that will accumulate and are wipe away during car wash.

Cheers,

Richard

On 3/29/2020 at 6:39 PM, kssg777 said:

hi Richard

Hijack the topic abit

Need some assistance

My 3 and half year old FNA now having issue.

Lower arm bushing damaged, Front shock absorber got sound. my car mileage only 54000. 

Any good and better price workshop to recommend??

Hi Kssg,

Sorry to hear but lower control arm bushing damage is quite common with our SJ ride  ... BKS Woodlands swear by replacement with SH bushing that is reportedly more robust than our SJ bushing (about sgd280 for all 4 pieces both left and right)  ... I did so at about 40k km when mine failed.

Not familiar with sound from front shock absorber since can be varied reason but best to have it checked by car workshop that you decided for the bushing replacement.

Cheers.

Richard

On 4/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Kssg,

Sorry to hear but lower control arm bushing damage is quite common with our SJ ride  ... BKS Woodlands swear by replacement with SH bushing that is reportedly more robust than our SJ bushing (about sgd280 for all 4 pieces both left and right)  ... I did so at about 40k km when mine failed.

Not familiar with sound from front shock absorber since can be varied reason but best to have it checked by car workshop that you decided for the bushing replacement.

Cheers.

Richard

Yup agreed with Richard, mine front replaced at 5300km at BKS.

As of sound from Shock Absorber, i believe its comes on and off during ride on some roads,which I thought up lorry too. after replace SJ front bushing, sound gone and everything okay. 

Happy rides. 

• Praise 1

On 4/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Yippe said:

Yup agreed with Richard, mine front replaced at 5300km at BKS.

As of sound from Shock Absorber, i believe its comes on and off during ride on some roads,which I thought up lorry too. after replace SJ front bushing, sound gone and everything okay. 

Happy rides. 

Hi Yippe,

I hope typo error and 53000km and not 5300km but then again, I had bad left front bearing from factory when I first that caused me to swap 3 sets of new tyres ... before getting it changed by MI which I changed out all at around 40k km to leave no doubts.

Cheers.

Richard

17 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Yippe,

I hope typo error and 53000km and not 5300km but then again, I had bad left front bearing from factory when I first that caused me to swap 3 sets of new tyres ... before getting it changed by MI which I changed out all at around 40k km to leave no doubts.

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks Richard, correct my typo error its 53000km, I replaced both R/L Bushings as they need to replace in pairs, the knocking noise appear on my driver side intermittent straight road, possible wear cause due to my travels in M´sia roads (many pot holes).  

Cheers and Enjoy your Rides. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 3/23/2020 at 12:51 PM, OnceInALifeTime said:

What brake fluid are you using?

Do you know that brake fluid are hydroscopic?

image.thumb.png.a815c8127e3880020ba0f87204576323.png

Even if it is DOT 4, there are type that are low viscosity DOT 4.

It will depends alot on your driving needs to select the type of DOT4 brake fluid.

MI recommendation of 20,000 km is based on annual/yearly change. Which is quite fine.

As due to the hydroscopic nature of the fluid, when water moisture is in the brake system and not replaced for period of time. Rust will set in.

Else, you can consider to replace every 24,000 or 25,000 km.

image.thumb.png.17078cfdef278163d06cef0da2f3ff43.png

Personally, I will replace every 25,000 km with DOT 4 fluid with higher wet/dry boiling temperature than standard DOT4 fluid.

you can use a brake fluid tester to double check. accurate enough for me. and cost a plate of chicken rice.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32857638917.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7eb03625FuyVyR&algo_pvid=263e2142-9201-43f7-b75b-5f6754bee774&algo_expid=263e2142-9201-43f7-b75b-5f6754bee774-0&btsid=0ab50f6115861414028982662e94e8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

• Praise 2

22 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Yes. Could use the tester to check too. Good instrument to have.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:17 AM, PPeripheraL said:

Depends on your driving pattern (city/expy) and weight of your foot. 

A realistic estimate is 10-12 km/L.

hmm quite fair 

On 4/8/2020 at 8:56 AM, OnceInALifeTime said:

image.thumb.png.338aaa39cc93047e0751d50deb490ec5.pngI am wondering if anybody is due for this service during this period of time? When there is no regular service rendered.

Me lo. 

Booked MI servicing n tio cancelled 

Hi all, need some expert opinion. I have gotten wrx rear sway bar (yet to be install), was thinking if front sway bar and endlink should be upgraded in order have in on the optimal state?

On 4/8/2020 at 8:56 AM, OnceInALifeTime said:

image.thumb.png.338aaa39cc93047e0751d50deb490ec5.pngI am wondering if anybody is due for this service during this period of time? When there is no regular service rendered.

I'm due along with some recall. Got cancelled too. But I'm not bothered. Car won't be driven much during this period.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1