2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

On 4/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, Cashgoh said:

Hi all, need some expert opinion. I have gotten wrx rear sway bar (yet to be install), was thinking if front sway bar and endlink should be upgraded in order have in on the optimal state?

Hi Goh,

Dunno about endlinks and nothing yo share since I am on stock ones.

But for front sway bar, I installed, remove and installed back the cusco one despite very slight harshness introduced. It stabilises the overall handling around corners and boost confidence ... sharper and more accurate.

I removed cusco rear sway bar and also the wrx rear rear sway bar cos of this harshness and went to stock but I am anal on harshness with associated noise ... I am already on lowered stiff rsr spring with cusco touring A and did not feel the need to upgrade rear sway bar.

The usual trouble with forester on its ride is with its rear .. believe it is because designer had to cater for 0 rear passenger and 0 rear load up to 3 rear passengers and rear load of whatever to say 180kg + 100kg or 0 to 280kg   Front is predictable with heavy engine, fixed driver and just maybe 0 or 1 passenger i.e. 0 to 60 or even 80kg and hence you will find forester is more stable with full loaded rear.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement

On 4/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, Cashgoh said:

Hi all, need some expert opinion. I have gotten wrx rear sway bar (yet to be install), was thinking if front sway bar and endlink should be upgraded in order have in on the optimal state?

Hi. It will depends on how you want to tune it. If using Subaru sway bars, there is not a need to change the end links.

On 4/17/2020 at 1:23 PM, tarbo said:

I'm due along with some recall. Got cancelled too. But I'm not bothered. Car won't be driven much during this period.

I guessed that during end of Circuit Breaker period, they will be jammed packed. Managed to re-booked? Recall? What sort of recall you had received?

On 4/18/2020 at 11:35 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Goh,

Dunno about endlinks and nothing yo share since I am on stock ones.

But for front sway bar, I installed, remove and installed back the cusco one despite very slight harshness introduced. It stabilises the overall handling around corners and boost confidence ... sharper and more accurate.

I removed cusco rear sway bar and also the wrx rear rear sway bar cos of this harshness and went to stock but I am anal on harshness with associated noise ... I am already on lowered stiff rsr spring with cusco touring A and did not feel the need to upgrade rear sway bar.

The usual trouble with forester on its ride is with its rear .. believe it is because designer had to cater for 0 rear passenger and 0 rear load up to 3 rear passengers and rear load of whatever to say 180kg + 100kg or 0 to 280kg   Front is predictable with heavy engine, fixed driver and just maybe 0 or 1 passenger i.e. 0 to 60 or even 80kg and hence you will find forester is more stable with full loaded rear.

Cheers.

Richard

Yes, indeed when there is load the drive feel more stable that why I gotten wrx rear sway bar and hope to improve the handling as most of the time I am driving alone.

Are you using cusco 26mm? Can share where you get it from?

7 hours ago, OnceInALifeTime said:

Hi. It will depends on how you want to tune it. If using Subaru sway bars, there is not a need to change the end links.

Oh... I saw the stock endlink look very slim with worry if there is a need to change aftermarket to maximum the performance.

1 hour ago, Cashgoh said:

Oh... I saw the stock endlink look very slim with worry if there is a need to change aftermarket to maximum the performance.

Technically you should upgrade the end links when you upgrade the sway bar. The twisting force will be transferred to the end links during cornering. Stock ones will wear out faster. 

I'm on superpro but did not upgrade the end links. Coz I might revert to stock after I change out my dampers and springs for coilovers. Meanwhile just monitor everytime the car is jacked.

• Praise 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:05 PM, Stratovarius said:

Technically you should upgrade the end links when you upgrade the sway bar. The twisting force will be transferred to the end links during cornering. Stock ones will wear out faster. 

I'm on superpro but did not upgrade the end links. Coz I might revert to stock after I change out my dampers and springs for coilovers. Meanwhile just monitor everytime the car is jacked.

Have gotten a used superpro front sway bar yet to install. Look forward to see the different. BTW any reason why you change out after replace coilover?

On 4/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, Cashgoh said:

An easier way out. Get it as a set. There will be lesser worries and research. But make sure that it is the effect that you want.

Upgrading to stiffer sway bars also comes with other concerns other than end links. Tyres, struts, suspensions, rubber mounting... so on and so forth.

As the force/energy generated while driving/cornering will be redistributed. Usually, the weakest link in the system will give way first.

But usually, it will start with unusual noise or sound... For e.g. clunking, knocking...

On 4/19/2020 at 8:55 PM, Cashgoh said:

Yes, indeed when there is load the drive feel more stable that why I gotten wrx rear sway bar and hope to improve the handling as most of the time I am driving alone.

Are you using cusco 26mm? Can share where you get it from?

Hi Goh,

Yes, it is the 26mm one per below link and screenshot:

https://www.sendico.com/ayahoo/item/d435017131

I bought it and many others before I collected my Oct 2017 forester xt including group buys for other forester owners in then whatsapp group from yahoo! Japan auction, Rakuten or other smaller online shops with better pricing, including discounts for bulk buy e.g. 8 sets of sti springs etc. via Sendico who consolidate shipment for me with cost effective combined shipping.

www.japanparts is one online option who will ship to you directly and they do have sales occasionally while local sources will be lesun who sometime has cusco or sti parts im stock else BKS or BMS also source for owners ... I got the wrx sti rear arb from lesun which is a bit cheaper than MI.

You are probably aware that Carousell is also a good source for used ones where I sold my rear cusco arb, wrx sti rear arb, stock front seats, racechip, sti springs etc. and their are quite many forester owners dekitting and selling used parts there.

Last but not least, whatsapp group for forester owners is one best source for parts since many owners dekit there and parts dun even make it Carousell .. however, I am out of whatsapp group and cannot help much.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20200423-004328_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200423-005539_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200423-005555_Chrome.jpg

18 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Goh,

I bought it and many others before I collected my Oct 2017 forester xt including group buys for other forester owners in then whatsapp group from yahoo! Japan auction, Rakuten or other smaller online shops with better pricing, including discounts for bulk buy e.g. 8 sets of sti springs etc. via Sendico who consolidate shipment for me with cost effective combined shipping.

www.japanparts is one online option who will ship to you directly and they do have sales occasionally while local sources will be lesun who sometime has cusco or sti parts im stock else BKS or BMS also source for owners ... I got the wrx sti rear arb from lesun which is a bit cheaper than MI.

You are probably aware that Carousell is also a good source for used ones where I sold my rear cusco arb, wrx sti rear arb, stock front seats, racechip, sti springs etc. and their are quite many forester owners dekitting and selling used parts there.

Last but not least, whatsapp group for forester owners is one best source for parts since many owners dekit there and parts dun even make it Carousell .. however, I am out of whatsapp group and cannot help much.

Cheers.

Richard

On 5/25/2015 at 10:57 AM, Djcoolmax said:

got this from AD the other day.

2.0(A) - $128,800

20.XT(A) (2015) - $141,800

Things to note for the Forester.

1. AWD - higher fuel & maintenance costs

2. CVT - Helps to mitigate fuel costs.. but driving dynamics different.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 6:13 PM, Cashgoh said:

Have gotten a used superpro front sway bar yet to install. Look forward to see the different. BTW any reason why you change out after replace coilover?

Not sure if I can explain well. The way sway bars works is like a lever. Firstly, it links the suspension together. Second, when the car turns, it transfers the force from the outer wheel to the inner wheel. Upgrading to thicker bar improves the force transfer as it flexes less. Its a cheap way to improve cornering capability but suspension will not perform well on uneven roads as they are linked together via a thicker rod. You will find your car shakes more going over potholes or over humps (at an angle) because the force gets transferred to the other wheel. Advantage is the harshness of the car will not be affected on even roads.

A suspension upgrade is more direct. A coilover upgrades the damping and spring force for each suspension individually. However, it also increases the harshness of the ride even on even roads. It's something you have to consider especially if you frequent passengers in your car. 

You can try going a hump at an angle with the stock ARB. Try over the hump at the same speed after swapping with superpro. You will get what I mean. 

• Praise 3

On 4/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, Stratovarius said:

Not sure if I can explain well. The way sway bars works is like a lever. Firstly, it links the suspension together. Second, when the car turns, it transfers the force from the outer wheel to the inner wheel. Upgrading to thicker bar improves the force transfer as it flexes less. Its a cheap way to improve cornering capability but suspension will not perform well on uneven roads as they are linked together via a thicker rod. You will find your car shakes more going over potholes or over humps (at an angle) because the force gets transferred to the other wheel. Advantage is the harshness of the car will not be affected on even roads.

A suspension upgrade is more direct. A coilover upgrades the damping and spring force for each suspension individually. However, it also increases the harshness of the ride even on even roads. It's something you have to consider especially if you frequent passengers in your car. 

You can try going a hump at an angle with the stock ARB. Try over the hump at the same speed after swapping with superpro. You will get what I mean. 

Hi Strato,

Nice share ... just noted that Goh's is front arb which differs quite a bit from rear arb.

I kept put back my cusco front arb as its negative impact is nowhere near rear arb which I changed from stock to cusco to wrx and then back to stock after rsr springs from pink springs .. both with cusco A.

Forester's trouble on ride is very obviously with rear and previously shared but fine with the front.

Cheers.

Richard

On 4/22/2020 at 12:06 PM, OnceInALifeTime said:

An easier way out. Get it as a set. There will be lesser worries and research. But make sure that it is the effect that you want.

Upgrading to stiffer sway bars also comes with other concerns other than end links. Tyres, struts, suspensions, rubber mounting... so on and so forth.

As the force/energy generated while driving/cornering will be redistributed. Usually, the weakest link in the system will give way first.

But usually, it will start with unusual noise or sound... For e.g. clunking, knocking...

Thank. Have upgraded both front and rear bar. The ride feel very stiff but corner is more stable. Need to drive a long distance after this period to have more experience on it. Seem like my brushes is give way soon as well.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:14 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Goh,

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks Richard for the link. STI struct bar is really good buy on sendico.

On 4/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, Stratovarius said:

Indeed with this upgrade the road feedback is more obvious and uncomfortable to drive (drove a short distance from workshop to home). Need some more time to get use to it.

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, Cashgoh said:

Thanks Richard for the link. STI struct bar is really good buy on sendico.

Thought it's cheaper in japanparts. But still very ex as compared to cusco

8 hours ago, Duatau said:

Thought it's cheaper in japanparts. But still very ex as compared to cusco

Saw there are a few seller selling the struct pricing is much low than what I bought recently. Of course it was not as cheap as cusco.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:54 PM, Cashgoh said:

Thank. Have upgraded both front and rear bar. The ride feel very stiff but corner is more stable. Need to drive a long distance after this period to have more experience on it. Seem like my brushes is give way soon as well.

It is better that your bushing give way, rather than some other parts. There is always a trade off. As it is possible to enter into corners and bends at faster speed, you might want to change to a set of good traction tyres and lower your vehicle for lower centre of gravity.

↡ Advertisement