2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

22 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

My blackvue that came with the car keeps repeating "resetting the time" everytime I crank the engine. Formatted the sd card but no use. Anyone encounter the same? Or is it time to change a new one?😒

The internal batt sot liao...time to change a new one or check out how much to repair the batt.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

9 minutes ago, James996 said:

The internal batt sot liao...time to change a new one or check out how much to repair the batt.

Thanks. Unlikely i will go repair. What are good ones in the market currently? I'm looking at with parking mode, maybe linked to an external batt. 

On 11/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, Stratovarius said:

My blackvue that came with the car keeps repeating "resetting the time" everytime I crank the engine. Formatted the sd card but no use. Anyone encounter the same? Or is it time to change a new one?😒

Try changing the SD card first to confirm it’s not card problem.  Mine also reset now and then when driving.  Turned out to be SD card problem which surprised me because it was only about 1+ yrs old

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Jamesgetz said:

Try changing the SD card first to confirm it’s not card problem.  Mine also reset now and then when driving.  Turned out to be SD card problem which surprised me because it was only about 1+ yrs old

Thanks for the advice. i read online and they say their card is special for continuous writing. i see that it is a class 10 msd card. Will see if i have any class 10 spares lying around. 

44 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Thanks for the advice. i read online and they say their card is special for continuous writing. i see that it is a class 10 msd card. Will see if i have any class 10 spares lying around. 

Yes, it’s recommended to use high endurance SD cards due to continuous recording by car cams.  You can try Sandisk High Endurance cards which I find pretty good value for $

• Praise 2

48 minutes ago, shutterbox said:

Did u guys hear internal plastic cricking sounds when ur fxt goes of uneven roads? 

Doesnt sound like suspension koyak sound 

Recently there is an annoying creaking sound coming from the cabin. Mine comes from the centre console. I whack it a few times and the sound reduced. Still creaks abit when going uneven roads but much better. Maybe I will spray some silicon spray at the joints when I have the time.

2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Recently there is an annoying creaking sound coming from the cabin. Mine comes from the centre console. I whack it a few times and the sound reduced. Still creaks abit when going uneven roads but much better. Maybe I will spray some silicon spray at the joints when I have the time.

Mine comes from front left n beside driver seat. 

Dunno if cae frame metal fatigue thus can't hold the stiffness or its design to flex (which doesnt make sense) 

So my Forester just failed its 5yr inspection due to tyres and I need to replace them. Its still on the original Geolander 225/60R17 so I have tried to just find the same sizing as a like for like replacement but it seems that this is not a common size in the market place (in particular the 60 profile). Anyone able to advise what other tyres would be a direct fit. Many thanks...

30 minutes ago, cmdsea said:

So my Forester just failed its 5yr inspection due to tyres and I need to replace them. Its still on the original Geolander 225/60R17 so I have tried to just find the same sizing as a like for like replacement but it seems that this is not a common size in the market place (in particular the 60 profile). Anyone able to advise what other tyres would be a direct fit. Many thanks...

Wow, 5 yrs never changed.

Sorry to comment that you are a road hazard. Thread maybe ok. But rubber will already harden.

Guide line for tyre change, thread almost reach min or 3yrs on the car.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 2

21 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Wow, 5 yrs never changed.

Sorry to comment that you are a road hazard. Thread maybe ok. But rubber will already harden.

Guide line for tyre change, thread almost reach min or 3yrs on the car.

Wasnt the question but you are entitled to your opinion... anyone with a helpful suggestion.? 

19 hours ago, cmdsea said:

Wasnt the question but you are entitled to your opinion... anyone with a helpful suggestion.? 

agreed with Totho, tyres gets harden over the years, change mine at 3 1/2 year at 56000km. though tyres depth above 3mm.

plenty of 225/60/17 in our market. change mine to Michelin Primacy 4 (made in Spain).

• Praise 1

On 3/24/2020 at 2:14 AM, OnceInALifeTime said:

Actually, you do have a choice of workshops to perform the service and not limited to MI. But you got to know what you are doing.

From my experience and opinion, MI might provide the standard service at a premium. I had not return to MI since my two free service.

As I do not really find that they are providing me the value that I had expected and I do determine what to be replaced.

For e.g. Do you know that Subaru Japan would actually generally inform that it is ideally to replace the engine oil at the interval of 6 months or 5000 km?

image.thumb.png.c5db2533b66f2c2f20ce8e15d81dade9.png

Source: https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/about/

During my first 2 free service at 1,000km and 10,000km, they were providing Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

In the first free service, the oil stayed in my engine for approximately 9,000km and after the second service; I replaced the engine oil and oil filter at 15,000km at third part workshop and never to return to MI anymore. From then till now, I just replace my engine oil at 5,000km interval and my cost of service is still much cheaper than to return to the authorised distributor. Neither do I get my vehicle failing on me, having defects or unexpected breakdown.

The 5,000km oil change interval; is after reference of information to Subaru workshop manual service schedule. As it is due to repeated short distance drive in Singapore.

I had expectation that of an authorised distributor to know their stuffs. Should they don't, I will not be willing to pay a premium. As it does not justify at all.

Not to mentioned, there is also a line up of oil that is available:

https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/lineup/

MI isn't offering too. I will not say that they will be the best around. But it is recommended by Subaru.

There are plenty of myths, discussions and opinions on type of engine oil to be used.

There is no oil manufacturer would be able to tell you exactly what is suitable for you. It will be down to the car manufacturer to inform on the exact specification of oil to be used.

You would have to read up to determine what would be suitable for your needs.

Most workshop inspect those items in the checklist by eyes. Maybe a test drive to see if the vehicle is operating properly.

If you are observant towards your vehicle, you will notice when things are not in order. That's where you will drive to the workshop. Else, during your oil change; just get the mechanic to take a quick look to see if there are any worn out parts. (Usually, those are the rubber components) Else, there are not much of fault that will surface without indication or warning.

Last, but not least; MI, although the distributor of Subaru. It is also a separate profit making entity. Should their cost goes high and does not generate their expected profit margin, it will not justify for them to continue the business.

Shell oil not the best, but it lowers their business cost. Many prefer to top up for better quality oils. 

On 11/7/2020 at 3:47 PM, shutterbox said:

Mine comes from front left n beside driver seat. 

Dunno if cae frame metal fatigue thus can't hold the stiffness or its design to flex (which doesnt make sense) 

It might be from the seat belt buckle joint.

From the seat belt buckle, trace it to the joint on the seat.

Spray some WD 40 or silicon spray onto the joint. The creaking sound will be going.

• Praise 1

On 11/11/2020 at 1:07 PM, cmdsea said:

Just Google for compatible size for the stock tyres. My guess is 235/55 is better with slightly wider tyres. Just check with the shops to see what size they have if you already have a brand or model in mind.

Screenshot_20201115-140617.thumb.jpg.ce320be221d690c023590d85554216c6.jpg

• Praise 1

Hi,

Probably old news for more savy owners of scangauge 2 but I din know how to change x-command on the official link for cvt temp with only in degree fahrenheit to degree celsius:

To have it read in Celsius, all you'll need to do is change the MTH from 00090005FFC6 to 00010001FFC6.

Cheers.

Richard

IMG-20201113-WA0005.jpeg

Car is 5 years old and getting noisy. I had sound cladding done when I first got it. Probably need to spray again. Just wondering if it’s worth doing sound insulation/proofing for the doors?

↡ Advertisement