2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

6 hours ago, Shibadog said:

nice.

I also had a tmic water spray on my fxt, taken from an euro spec sti (5L tank mounted in boot). Tank was too small for sepang duties but more than sufficient for local driving.

I wonder if the SJ tmic gets more dirty over time due to lack of a bonnet scoop. Dirt on the tmic fins will reduce the cooling efficiency even when nice cool air is flowing through it. For old school subies with a hood scoop, it's a lot easier to clean it at the same time as washing car - just lightly spray with car shampoo n rinse off. They do tend to collect more leaves though LOL

Wouldn't a bonnet scoop let in more dirt since it is more direct? I do clean my tmic once a year using those carb cleaner to clean both interior and exterior. 

↡ Advertisement

8 hours ago, shutterbox said:

I wonder if removing that plasti engine cover would have given more cooling to the engine

Was doing some research after reading your reply. Seems like the engine cover has not much effect over the sealing of air going into the tmic and can be removed without much issues. Will probably try for a few weeks see how it goes. You removed yours? 

1 hour ago, Orixy said:

Wouldn't a bonnet scoop let in more dirt since it is more direct? I do clean my tmic once a year using those carb cleaner to clean both interior and exterior. 

yes but it gets cleaned more often [laugh]

On 3/16/2021 at 9:34 PM, Shibadog said:

Lesun has moved to blk 3016

JAE Auto is still at blk 3018 (ground floor). They also stock Subaru parts.

Many thanks.

My bad for being lazy to update their current addresses. Future readers pls google for latest contacts/addresses.

@thefalcon The cooling fans only starts when the engine temp reaches a certain temperature. There could be a number of causes for this but for me, the number of times I had the problem (not with the Forester) it was usually a faulty thermostat. When this happens, I will monitor the engine temp closely in case it overheats.

Sorry, not enough knowledge to comment on the air-con compressor.

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, thefalcon said:

Thanks kermitfm.

I had went to workshop to check out. My cooling coil is leaking and the Aircon gas were all leak so no more aircon gas in the system. Compressor also going soon, so have to replace both. 😅

Hi falcon,

My gold standard of aircon workshop is Kim Aircon at Ubi.

I had to changed out aircon radiator, cooling coil and even blower fan but all non Subaru MIJ alternatives.

I have no confidence in Subaru's one since they are failing all over the places especially known leaking radiator.

Btw, blower fan used is modded Toyota corolla's.

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I just had my servicing at MI today and was told that my Forester (FNA, ~70000 km) rear wheel bearings and front lower arm bush needs to be replaced, which I am abit skeptical on their diagnosis and quote.

Any recommendations to where I can get this diagnosed and/or fixed?

BKS? (the AMK branch is near my place, though it seems like there is a preference of branches. appreciate you bros' advice too)

Thank you!!

On 1/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, Sunshines11 said:

Hi all... I am driving a 2017 Forester FNA... May I ask if anyone here got to replace their Wheel Bearings at a mileage of around 65,000km? I never had to replace the wheel bearings on  my previous ride before 100,000km...

As my ride is no longer under warranty, I brought it to an external workshop and was told that the noise from the car is due to the wheel bearings...

It would cost $400+ to replace, is this the market rate? Or do I have ground to email Subaru and see if they are willing to do it out of goodwill since wheel bearings usually last more than 100,000km based on my Google results?

Many Thks in advance and have a great 2021! 🙂

On 3/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, shutterbox said:

Guys, rear wheel bearings might need to change soon (accordingly to MI service agent.

quote from there is obviously expensive (with parts and labour)

Any recommendations what bearings to change and where to change?

how much costs am I looking at?

On 3/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, robintay70 said:

I just changed my right rear wheel bearings with outside ws.

Parts is $180 + labor + alignment. Worked out to be $400+, can't really remember exact price.

17 hours ago, thefalcon said:

Thanks kermitfm.

I had went to workshop to check out. My cooling coil is leaking and the Aircon gas were all leak so no more aircon gas in the system. Compressor also going soon, so have to replace both. 😅

No harm getting a second opinion from another reputable workshop. 

19 hours ago, thefalcon said:

Thanks kermitfm.

How old is your Forester?

The Forester aircon related parts are all not lasted. I had changed the condenser, cooling coil and compressor long time ago. 

5 hours ago, Chengwei said:

Hi guys,

I just had my servicing at MI today and was told that my Forester (FNA, ~70000 km) rear wheel bearings and front lower arm bush needs to be replaced, which I am abit skeptical on their diagnosis and quote.

BKS? (the AMK branch is near my place, though it seems like there is a preference of branches. appreciate you bros' advice too)

Thank you!!

Won't be surprised. My bushing change at around 50k and front bearing at 80k, rear bearing at 90k. All changed done outside ws.

Wow... Forester sure has its fair share of wear and tear parts. 

I only hear the rough start up of the 2.0l NA that belongs to my colleague. 

Quite frankly my you sai chai sounded more refine. 

Edited by Hamburger

(edited)
On 3/30/2021 at 3:54 AM, Chengwei said:

Hi guys,

Thank you!!

Hi,

Bks woodlands is fine and bms amk is fine. Any ws also fine if you can get cheaper since standard work for any ws.

My front bushing at 80k for 3.5 yr old fxt changed 2nd time liao just weeks ago.

Some opt for aftermkt bushing which are harder and I prefer original more compliant parts. 

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Got the cabin filter from Lesun. 

Wondering if is it the same one that MI used as car still under warranty.

was also advised at 34k serving to change stock tires as left tire getting botak. No MSCP parking for me home or office.  Wonder if this is a brushing or alignment issue.

Spoiler
Spoiler

On 3/31/2021 at 12:33 AM, thefalcon said:

Hi Tohto,

My FNA is 86000KM . coming 5 years.  I had replaced the Compressor, Cooling Coil(can see the green leak mark on the bottom) and the Cooling system filter. image attached.

1073059063_WhatsAppImage2021-03-31at00_13_57.thumb.jpeg.937f680dd3591b9b892a3014cb40decb.jpeg

Above is all the old parts that came with the car.

286163503_WhatsAppImage2021-03-31at00_15_28.thumb.jpeg.a6b650649a051052111fe3ffdce29efa.jpeg

This is the Compressor that came with the car, the so call ORIGINAL parts is not brand as "Subaru" but Valeo. 

1589579381_WhatsAppImage2021-03-31at00_15_47.thumb.jpeg.e33a994de09eb23d8a30781afb3c8f50.jpeg

This is the new compressor replaced by outside workshop. Same brand same spec. but MI quoted me 3 times the price, parts only $1500.

My aircon start getting not so cold yesterday and heard the hessing sound. Today cold air is almost completely gone.

Sian....

Condenser was first changed at 33k, Cooling coil at about 60k, Compressor at 110k.

Now mileage 143k, 5yrs old this month.

Need to drive to aircon workshop again on monday.

Last time my 320i only changed cooling coil at about 150k and drive till scrap.

53 minutes ago, Tohto said:

My aircon start getting not so cold yesterday and heard the hessing sound. Today cold air is almost completely gone.

Sian....

Condenser was first changed at 33k, Cooling coil at about 60k, Compressor at 110k.

Now mileage 143k, 5yrs old this month.

Need to drive to aircon workshop again on monday.

Last time my 320i only changed cooling coil at about 150k and drive till scrap.

Sounds like sj forester ac alot of issues. I just changed my condenser this week. What are the symptoms to know when to change coil and compressor?

My swift sport last time din even need to change anything for the ac for 8 years till the day I sold it.

On 4/2/2021 at 4:09 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi,

Bks woodlands is fine and bms amk is fine. Any ws also fine if you can get cheaper since standard work for any ws.

My front bushing at 80k for 3.5 yr old fxt changed 2nd time liao just weeks ago.

Some opt for aftermkt bushing which are harder and I prefer original more compliant parts. 

Cheers.

Richard

I changed mine to aftermarket kind as I find no point to use back original or oem if the product fails so early. And I don't find any difference after changing. It's just bushings and or maybe my butt is not as sensitive. Lol.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Sounds like sj forester ac alot of issues. I just changed my condenser this week. What are the symptoms to know when to change coil and compressor?

My swift sport last time din even need to change anything for the ac for 8 years till the day I sold it.

Need the WS to check the leak is from where.

40 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Hi Strato,

They do ..  both fna and fxt.

But no regret for my fxt .. 350nm 240nm at 120k 3.5 yrs ago.

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement