[Sign-up Now] Be the first to catch the launch & win exciting prizes. - 10 Mar @ FB Live. Read more... ×

6th Gear
On 1/6/2021 at 8:24 PM, Nuclearforce said:

@richard_crl032

I have tried your friend's 'camo' car a while back ... Was good in handling but a slight tad 'rough'... Hence trying to see if there are alternatives without going too low. Never got to see/feel a tein with sti pink. Or Edfc. 

Reason for hks iv gt could have been influenced by Sarah-n-tuned YouTube(though she never reviewed the ride after the coilovers change). And the made in Japan tag n the reliability of the item as proclaimed. 

Hi Nuclear,

Hope test ride of tein endura pro plus with edfc pro plus met your expectation of comfort and roadholding with dynamic suspension.

As shared, I would have started with them before trying to optimise to your further liking with arbs, struts etc. that are just passive and limited if budget allows .. you can spend more like what I did initially but with less returns.

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement

4th Gear (edited)

wait for the Hyundai 1.6T hybrid for Tuscon or Kia Sorento to have similar power/acceleration but better fuel efficiency.

or new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross with 2.4L PHEV.... but this 'new' car still having analog gauges WTH joke....

or for SH Forester Sport 1.8T with 300Nm... and EyeSight...

if want Subaru strong hybrid gonna wait till 2023...

Edited by Sarion
  • Praise 1

2nd Gear
On 1/14/2021 at 2:04 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Shutterbox,

Dunno man .. any car reaching 10 yrs of >200k+ km will need serious maintenance and a whole lot of proactively change to new parts to be trouble free else tow truck's bff.

For retiree of me in 7 yrs may be ok but I wun advise for daily ride to work and biz.

May not be vfm and ron98 may be sgd3/l by then .. get brand new hybrid then better than current camry 2.5 hybrid would be a good alternative.

Cheers.

Richard

In my case, I probably wun reach 100k by year 10 and my driving patterns aren't aggressive. Plus there's going to be a 2nd car in the household so if I keep the FXT, it's really going to be becos its a car of  value for money specs. 

Just need to see what the coe is by then 🤣

6th Gear
9 hours ago, shutterbox said:

In my case, I probably wun reach 100k by year 10 and my driving patterns aren't aggressive. Plus there's going to be a 2nd car in the household so if I keep the FXT, it's really going to be becos its a car of  value for money specs. 

Just need to see what the coe is by then 🤣

Hi Shutterbox,

Aaaah .... then likely we will see you fxt into 2nd coe cos not only coe  by then but our 17k omv aka scrap value is so low that it make sense for it since you will still have to pay coe then whether new or 10 yr old fxt 

Just to say 100km/10 yrs is not exactly vfm vs typical 200km/10 yrs .. lol !

Cheers.

Richard

• Haha! 1

2nd Gear

Hi guys! Long time since i had last posted.

Past few months I've noticed a worrying issue on my 2017 FXT. Whenever the car has been driven for a while and the engine and drive train are hot, the car will almost always become sluggish to drive. Moving off from stationary, the acceleration will be like absent during the initial rpm until i press harder then it will accelerate albeit in a reluctant manner.

This happens in I or S mode, i seldom uses S#. My engine is not tuned, and i always use Esso 98 petrol and occasional Shell vpower. I would also notice the ignition advance multiplier (IAM) would drop, which indicates some engine knocking/pinging.

This only happens whenever car has been driven quite a while, especially during a trip with lots of starts & stops. On the other hand, if it's a 1hr trip to office, then evening time from office back to home in 1hr, then no such issue since car had ample time to cool down in between and the trip didn't involve starts & stops. Appears to be some heat soak issue to me but i can't pinpoint to anything specific. Not sure if any FXT owners here also experiencing similar issues?

From Googling, i found similar findings from USA Subie Forester forum:

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2016-mild-surging-feeling-under-light-acceleration.589266/unread 

Some suggested could be air leak at the turbo pressurised side as the hose clamps expand from the heated engine and components. So i checked my upgraded Breeze clamps and tighten all of them and still no improvement.

As of now i have no idea what is causing this and the issue is replicated consistently. No solutions in sight too. If you know anything i dont, pls give some good advice! Thanks in advance.

Hypersonic (edited)
11 minutes ago, Orixy said:

Hi guys! Long time since i had last posted.

Past few months I've noticed a worrying issue on my 2017 FXT. Whenever the car has been driven for a while and the engine and drive train are hot, the car will almost always become sluggish to drive. Moving off from stationary, the acceleration will be like absent during the initial rpm until i press harder then it will accelerate albeit in a reluctant manner.

This happens in I or S mode, i seldom uses S#. My engine is not tuned, and i always use Esso 98 petrol and occasional Shell vpower. I would also notice the ignition advance multiplier (IAM) would drop, which indicates some engine knocking/pinging.

This only happens whenever car has been driven quite a while, especially during a trip with lots of starts & stops. On the other hand, if it's a 1hr trip to office, then evening time from office back to home in 1hr, then no such issue since car had ample time to cool down in between and the trip didn't involve starts & stops. Appears to be some heat soak issue to me but i can't pinpoint to anything specific. Not sure if any FXT owners here also experiencing similar issues?

From Googling, i found similar findings from USA Subie Forester forum:

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2016-mild-surging-feeling-under-light-acceleration.589266/unread 

Some suggested could be air leak at the turbo pressurised side as the hose clamps expand from the heated engine and components. So i checked my upgraded Breeze clamps and tighten all of them and still no improvement.

As of now i have no idea what is causing this and the issue is replicated consistently. No solutions in sight too. If you know anything i dont, pls give some good advice! Thanks in advance.

My brother 2016 Jan pre-facelift just had his throttle bottle replaced by MI late last year just before warranty expired. 

He mention his car got that engine check light on, before that happened. After send in to MI they said problem on throttle body.

He encounter sluggish drive for a few month before check light appear.

According to him, after the throttle body changed hus FXT drive feel smooth and power back to normal.

Not sure your case is it the same.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

2nd Gear
2 minutes ago, Tohto said:

My brother 2016 Jan pre-facelift just had his throttle bottle replaced by MI late last year just before warranty expired. 

He mention his car got that engine check light on, before that happened. After send in to MI they said problem on throttle body.

He encounter sluggish drive for a few month before check light appear.

According to him, after the throttle body changed hus FXT drive feel smooth and power back to normal.

Not sure your case is it the same.

I also had my faulty throttle body replaced sometime in mid 2019, the fault code was P2119. I certainly hope it is not this relatively new throttle body causing the sluggish drive! There's also no way for me to verify if it's really the TB causing this issue... sigh...

1st Gear (edited)

Hi all... I am driving a 2017 Forester FNA... May I ask if anyone here got to replace their Wheel Bearings at a mileage of around 65,000km? I never had to replace the wheel bearings on  my previous ride before 100,000km...

As my ride is no longer under warranty, I brought it to an external workshop and was told that the noise from the car is due to the wheel bearings...

It would cost $400+ to replace, is this the market rate? Or do I have ground to email Subaru and see if they are willing to do it out of goodwill since wheel bearings usually last more than 100,000km based on my Google results?

Many Thks in advance and have a great 2021! 🙂

Edited by Sunshines11

6th Gear
On 1/17/2021 at 4:10 PM, Orixy said:

I also had my faulty throttle body replaced sometime in mid 2019, the fault code was P2119. I certainly hope it is not this relatively new throttle body causing the sluggish drive! There's also no way for me to verify if it's really the TB causing this issue... sigh...

Maybe you should get it check at a subbie workshop. One of the owners told me there is such an issue of power loss at low rpm for fxt after a certain mileage (I think is after 60k).

I have not encounter this before so don't quote me. But u might find a solution there. 

2nd Gear
6 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Maybe you should get it check at a subbie workshop. One of the owners told me there is such an issue of power loss at low rpm for fxt after a certain mileage (I think is after 60k).

I have not encounter this before so don't quote me. But u might find a solution there. 

Thanks. I'm close to 70k mileage now, so it fits the scenario you mentioned. Do you know what was the diagnosis of the power loss? I'll talk to BMS/BKS/DM for advice. 

4th Gear
10 hours ago, Sunshines11 said:

Hi all... I am driving a 2017 Forester FNA... May I ask if anyone here got to replace their Wheel Bearings at a mileage of around 65,000km? I never had to replace the wheel bearings on  my previous ride before 100,000km...

As my ride is no longer under warranty, I brought it to an external workshop and was told that the noise from the car is due to the wheel bearings...

It would cost $400+ to replace, is this the market rate? Or do I have ground to email Subaru and see if they are willing to do it out of goodwill since wheel bearings usually last more than 100,000km based on my Google results?

Wheel bearings' wear and tear depends on a couple of factors. The road conditions that you mostly drive on, the condition of the shock absorbers, the weight you normally carry. If some of the ball bearings in the bearing is slightly damaged or deformed, then the wear will accelerate resulting in a shorter life. 65,000 km can be considered a short, but it certainly does not fall outside the range.

I can't comment on the price but my advice is to go to a reputable and good workshop to do the change. A good quality bearing and good workmanship is important to ensure that the replacement will last. I have changed wheel bearings in 2 of the cars I owned - all before reaching the 100,000 km mark. My first replacement lasted less than 20,000 km because I chose a cheapo workshop. Either he used poor spare part, had poor workmanship or both. For my second car, I used the AD as I know they will be at least use the original parts and has all the necessary tool and skill mechanics. It cost more but it lasted.

Maybe appealing to MI/Subaru may yield some discount. 

The good news is that once the bearing is changed, your car will sound much quieter. 

1st Gear
On 1/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, kermitfm said:

Wheel bearings' wear and tear depends on a couple of factors. The road conditions that you mostly drive on, the condition of the shock absorbers, the weight you normally carry. If some of the ball bearings in the bearing is slightly damaged or deformed, then the wear will accelerate resulting in a shorter life. 65,000 km can be considered a short, but it certainly does not fall outside the range.

I can't comment on the price but my advice is to go to a reputable and good workshop to do the change. A good quality bearing and good workmanship is important to ensure that the replacement will last. I have changed wheel bearings in 2 of the cars I owned - all before reaching the 100,000 km mark. My first replacement lasted less than 20,000 km because I chose a cheapo workshop. Either he used poor spare part, had poor workmanship or both. For my second car, I used the AD as I know they will be at least use the original parts and has all the necessary tool and skill mechanics. It cost more but it lasted.

Maybe appealing to MI/Subaru may yield some discount. 

The good news is that once the bearing is changed, your car will sound much quieter. 

Hihi... Thks for e reply! 🙂

Clutched

On 1/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, Sunshines11 said:

I am driving a July 2016 FXT, I replaced mine last year at abt same mileage as yours. Now at 72k mileage, I am again hearing some humming sound for another failing wheel bearing but just don't know which one. haha. The price is about right, I think abt $400+.

Me too, so many years I have driven, never had to change wheel bearings till this FXT. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Forester wheel bearing is not lasting. 

My FXT front one changed at around 80k and rear at about 90k.

1st Gear

Hi robintay70 and  Tohto! Thks for your kind reply! I will get it replaced as soon as I can! Thks and have a great year ahead! 😊

• Praise 2

6th Gear
On 20/01/2021 at 7:47 PM, Tohto said:

Forester wheel bearing is not lasting. 

My FXT front one changed at around 80k and rear at about 90k.

Hi,

I changed mine for the front left at 5k from collection .. managed to claim warranty despite bbk, sport rim etc. Hence the "nice" experience of stock tyres to pirelli scorpion to continental cpc6 to michelin primacy 3 all within 10km .. even reputed workshop tells me it was expected tyre "humming" .. lol ! 

Only good thing is that I sure know how quiet or noisy these 3 brands of tyres/model are .. then continental cpc6 was so noisy that I thought indeed was tyre humming when I could not hear the bad bearing ..  lol x2 !

Since then, I never had good feeling of the other 3 remaining factory bearings and changed all at about 40k and now getting to 80k mark after 3 yr plus .. and fingercrossed.

Btw, condensor, coil and even fan all had been changed around 60k+ out of warranty at my go-to Kim aircon at Eunos but all non-subaru parts but MIJ ones .. the fan was modded from a lower category of toyota Altis .. lol x3 !

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 3

1st Gear

Any bros here got call or notice from Subaru about exhaust screw recall?

6th Gear
7 hours ago, spawn101 said:

Any bros here got call or notice from Subaru about exhaust screw recall?

Hi Spawn,

I am on their service plan till 100k km and they did the recall job about 1.5 yrs at 40k+ km ago .. for front knocking noise in undercarriage directly below gear box area.

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1