2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

May to July COE quota increasing is diff from previous one, this time CAT B got significant 40% increase, CAT A only 9%, obviously CAT B sure drop dramatically, possible to below 30k

Bookmark this

Hope someone can post the pricing for car show...

123.6k adfter all discount with in house loan, trade in and insurance for OB and FXT.

Taking current stock for OB and FXT can kncok off 1-2k.

FXT left red, silver and blue. There is still white for OB.

White FXT seems to be a popular choice.

Turbocharged

Subaru Forester owners who want to experience some mild off road adventure on a guided day trip driving convoy to LeMarko Waterfall, click on thread below for more info.   [:)]

http://www.mycarforu...-3#entry5800823

LeMarko Waterfall is presently unmarked on any tourist map of Malaysia. It lies outside the perimeters of Labis Forest Reserve (which is close to Endau-Rompin National Park). And there is no publicity to promote this forlorn sexy waterfall. This is probably because this waterfall is only accessible by 4x4 off-road or SUV vehicles.

For now, this waterfall is only visited by 4x4 or SUV owners who know about it. The last 2.8km to the waterfall is an exciting mild off-road track. And it is a good time and place for you to put your Hill Descend/Ascend toys.....to good use! 

*I am posting this here, as I received a few PMs requesting that this thread be shared here for Forester owners who might be keen.

May I know if anyone has changed the rims? What is the stock size for the XT? 18x7? Or 18x7.5? Cheers

Stock rims and tyre details below. Have fun with the rim change, and do share what you are going to change to. :)

Stock XT rims:

18x7

Pcd 5x100

Offset +48

25lbs, ~11.3kg

Stock tyres:

Bridgestone HL/400

225/55/R18

Stock rims and tyre details below. Have fun with the rim change, and do share what you are going to change to. :)

Stock XT rims:

18x7

Pcd 5x100

Offset +48

25lbs, ~11.3kg

Stock tyres:

Bridgestone HL/400

225/55/R18

Thanks so much. This indo is difficult to get. You did this when u changed your rims? I'm thinking volk or prodrive.

Stock XT rims:

18x7

Pcd 5x100

Offset +48

25lbs, ~11.3kg

Stock tyres:

Bridgestone HL/400

225/55/R18

that's useful info for everyone... 18x7 only? that's really skinny, even STI are 18x7.5 and that also quite restrictive on tyre choices.

wonder if anyone found a 18x8 with appropriate offset for this car?

worst is the stock tyre profile, even Stamford tyre when I last enquired don' t have Continental Cross Contact in stock for that size...

Turbocharged

Dont be so sure hor. Last time many ppls also believe in sure drop when May increase in quota arrive. Why u didnt hold on to this believe?

Sure drop, when all the kam jiong spiders buy finish all their cars, including uber, grab, or watever.

Worst case those not willing to pay high coe will take public transport. Let the KJS n uber drivers enjoy their $50k coe.

Rumors has it that the May shipment is already fully booked by Roberts They work on advance orders right now. You book. Then they order from Japan. New FL Forester selling like hot cakes not only in SG. Lots of Roberts around.

No wonder they have been jacking up the price of XT above the norm. X-Trail used to be 1-2k more expensive than XT and now XT is 5k more expensive.

I've a fren who used 18x8.5 on his 2015. And crammed the stock tyres onto it.

The stock 225/55/18 tyres will fit but will look a little stretched. Better tyre size for 8.5" wide rims is 245/50/18

Any views on whether the weight savings on rims are worth the cost? Sorry, I'm a noob at this. The Internet seems to indicate well hAve some savings on city driving but no difference for highway.

I'm not changing for looks. But for performance and economy if possible.

Dear all,

Just to share with you some research that I did. 

By way of background, I am a noob and have never "played rims" on my cars. Just take the stock and use. Now, being older and since I found that I have spent below my budget for a SUV, have some leftover cash which I can use to consider rims.

It seems that there are 2 basic types of rims, cast and forged, with some hybrid.  This is a good article for me when I started:

http://autokinetics.sg/blog/the-rims-saga-begins/

The cast rims are much cheaper, but the forged rims are stronger. 

There are loads of articles on "upgrading" rims sizes, and it seems that the reason why people change rims are for looks. For me, I read that it improves city driving and FC, so these are my objectives. I quite like the new facelift rims actually. The 2015 ones were for me, well truly ugly (see the first pic here: http://www.sanyora.info/tag/2016-subaru-forester-with-black-rims),

2014-Subaru-Forester-White.jpg

but the facelift ones are nicer, more simple (see http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2017-subaru-forester-facelift-revealed-ahead-of-tokyo-motor-show-debut-100720.html).

2016-subaru-forester-facelift-0005.jpg

On weights, generally the stock rims for cars are in the range of 25 lbs while the forged aftermarket ones can go to about 17 lbs.  The science behind it is that rotational mass is more important for performance / FC than static mass i.e. 10 kg lost from the boot versus 10 kg lost from the spinning wheels. 

There is no point to changing rims if the end result is lighter bigger wheels but the tyres are bigger - the total end weight and the distribution of the weight away from the axle (which is the centre point) may actually make it worse by increasing rotational mass.

On the cost of rims, rims can be like $150 per piece for something nice looking with not much weight savings or up to $900 for forged lightweights, which save about 4-5 kg off each wheel.

Also to note, the Premium's rims are actually designed to minimise drag (see below), while the XT's ones are not.

2016-subaru-forester-facelift-0002.jpg

The 2015 rims on the XT are 18x7.5, and this was reduced to 18x7 for the 2016 facelift model. Perhaps this was done to improve FC, at the expense of more roll which may be acceptable since these are SUVs and not sedans. For both the PCD is 5x100, and the offset is +48.

Please note that the MI sales rep told me that if a different offset is used, it may affect the gearbox and MI may not honour the warranty.

My search for rims continues.

Edited by Slowcat
  • Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

thanks for the info!

suggest you stick with the stock rims if warranty is a concern. if I recall, the stock rims are made by Enkei.  look pretty decent and are relatively easy to clean. weight is quite decent for stock rims.

if I were to change my rims, I would not just look at the weight but also quality/brand, offset and width as well as looks (yes, I'm vain...)  I would also take the chance to change the tyres as 225/55r18 have limited options.  but the usual caveat applies:  if scared, then don't mod. 

Edited by Jamesgetz

Hi all, managed to see 2 bronze forester side by side today at my carpark and one is facelifted and the other not. Notice the facelifted bronze forester appears a lot darker than the bronze forester before facelift. may I know if sephia bronze is a new color added after the facelift or it's simply because the bronze on the older forester fade?

Hi all, managed to see 2 bronze forester side by side today at my carpark and one is facelifted and the other not. Notice the facelifted bronze forester appears a lot darker than the bronze forester before facelift. may I know if sephia bronze is a new color added after the facelift or it's simply because the bronze on the older forester fade?

Sepia Bronze is a new colour for Face Lifted models. The pre-FL colour is known as burnish brown if I am not wrong.

Stock XT rims:

18x7

Pcd 5x100

Offset +48

25lbs, ~11.3kg

Stock tyres:

Bridgestone HL/400

225/55/R18

The stock rims are made by Enkei. Don't play play hor.
↡ Advertisement