2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

(edited)

I'm referring to the new X-Mode vs differential locks, not AWD in general. You are right that Forester is electronic AWD.

Far from it. I believe the system in Forester is an electronic AWD system where the computer do most of the analysing of the traction, wheel slips and shift power to the wheels accordingly. It can't do low differential driving eg. over big rocks and climb really step incline like Jeep and Land Rover. If you find out more what Subaru uses is called Torque Vectoring.

Cons of AWD is increased FC coz it's always on (unlike a 4WD system that you can unlock the diff for fuel economy), increased weight(same for 4WD), not as good as 4WD system when it comes to extreme off road.

Pros no need to say as most mentioned them already.

What Audi uses is mechanical AWD system for their Quattro. It's very complex & costly to repair should anything go wrong.

AWD is more suited for part tarmac, part gravel, part dirt driving conditions. In Singapore unless your fuel bill is sponsored it makes more economical sense to drive something 2 wheel drive.

Edited by Acieed
↡ Advertisement

in the first video i attached, it managed a 52 degree upslope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25-4l4HREg&list=PLOsAXNJzBWc-jYKqIeGrWknCbDZsDHx3c&index=12

in this video, it sort of demonstrated the x-mode (from about 3mins into the video). followed by going down a bumpy slope. not that many of us will be doing this type of extreme terrain but it certainly will help drivers with very little experience off-road should the situation call for it.

Far from it. I believe the system in Forester is an electronic AWD system where the computer do most of the analysing of the traction, wheel slips and shift power to the wheels accordingly. It can't do low differential driving eg. over big rocks and climb really step incline like Jeep and Land Rover. If you find out more what Subaru uses is called Torque Vectoring.

Cons of AWD is increased FC coz it's always on (unlike a 4WD system that you can unlock the diff for fuel economy), increased weight(same for 4WD), not as good as 4WD system when it comes to extreme off road.

Pros no need to say as most mentioned them already.

What Audi uses is mechanical AWD system for their Quattro. It's very complex & costly to repair should anything go wrong.

AWD is more suited for part tarmac, part gravel, part dirt driving conditions. In Singapore unless your fuel bill is sponsored it makes more economical sense to drive something 2 wheel drive.

• Praise 1

in the first video i attached, it managed a 52 degree upslope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25-4l4HREg&list=PLOsAXNJzBWc-jYKqIeGrWknCbDZsDHx3c&index=12

in this video, it sort of demonstrated the x-mode (from about 3mins into the video). followed by going down a bumpy slope. not that many of us will be doing this type of extreme terrain but it certainly will help drivers with very little experience off-road should the situation call for it.

can't help but feel that the car is crying.

• Praise 1

but all the other models, even XV, come with 6 to 7 airbags?

Both forester models and WRX & WRX STi full airbags.

Wonder why the latest Forester still using the traditional 'hand-brake'. Most new car all come Electric Hand-Brake!

traditional 'hand-brake' is mechanical principle, more reliable than electronic one,

Wonder why the latest Forester still using the traditional 'hand-brake'. Most new car all come Electric Hand-Brake!

handbrake turns? haha

• Praise 1

i remember years ago, someone was teaching how to park into a parallel parking lot from the other side of the road by pulling the handbrake and the car will turn 180 degrees and park neatly. lol.

handbrake turns? haha

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I'm horribly disappointed with Subaru service centre in tao Payoh. Bought a service package and have been using them for past six years but I feel I got conned the last two rounds! From two services back I noticed my a knocking whenever I change gear and all the lights on my dash board for oil and coolant etc blinking like crazy. My husband who takes the car for servicing asked the service guys to look into it. The guy said he checked everything and the problem was the cars old and needs to be changed. It's a problem with the gear box and we need $5000 to replace it!! Since the car was already six years old we didn't think the change was necessary. Problem persisted through to second service ... Still not solved . Been driving a car with blinking dashboard lights n engine knocking constantly on low gear.., for more than six months because I trusted these guys!!! Last night I decided to check my car myself n found the coolant was dry the engine oil was empty ... There's no leak --- these guys just didn't refill them at the last service!! I paid for a disservice!! I refilled it myself last night n guess what -- no more knocking feel no more blinking lights.. I want my money for the last two services back n I feel I was being lied to just so they could upsell more things to me.. It's called cheating!! #conjob #badservice #subarusucks

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I'm horribly disappointed with Subaru service centre in tao Payoh. Bought a service package and have been using them for past six years but I feel I got conned the last two rounds! From two services back I noticed my a knocking whenever I change gear and all the lights on my dash board for oil and coolant etc blinking like crazy. My husband who takes the car for servicing asked the service guys to look into it. The guy said he checked everything and the problem was the cars old and needs to be changed. It's a problem with the gear box and we need $5000 to replace it!! Since the car was already six years old we didn't think the change was necessary. Problem persisted through to second service ... Still not solved . Been driving a car with blinking dashboard lights n engine knocking constantly on low gear.., for more than six months because I trusted these guys!!! Last night I decided to check my car myself n found the coolant was dry the engine oil was empty ... There's no leak --- these guys just didn't refill them at the last service!! I paid for a disservice!! I refilled it myself last night n guess what -- no more knocking feel no more blinking lights.. I want my money for the last two services back n I feel I was being lied to just so they could upsell more things to me.. It's called cheating!! #conjob #badservice #subarusucks

A bit curious ....

If never refill engine oil and coolant, the car can't even move 100m before engine will seize and you need to CHANGE entire engine.

So doubtful that you can do 6 months driving on a "dry" car and still can refill the fluids and now drive normal.

Perhaps you need to get expert opinion on what exactly happened.

• Praise 2

This is simply incredible !

Un...un....un.....unbelievable !!

Sorry, old man like me shouldn't try to be funny!!

: )

• Praise 2

No offense.. But shouldn't you be checking your engine oil and coolant level, among afew others, on a weekly-basis? Or maybe fortnightly? I mean, its like basic pre-drive checks, once in awhile, but definitely not once in 6 months..

But driving 6 months on with a near empty coolant tank and engine oil, wouldn't it do some irreversible damage to the engine? Not sure, just speculating.

• Praise 1

ok ok.. look at the bright side.. can drive 6 months with no EO and coolant? Subaru cars solid lah!!! Normal cars... sure die.

• Praise 1

I am exploring the Forester 2.0 non-turbo version.

Hope to hear existing owner on the good and bad for this car.

Thanks.

I am driving a Forester XT for the pass 9 months (bought new) and enjoying every min of it. Prior to the Forester, was driving Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo. Hence, did not consider the non-turbo version. If were to compare base on the same capacity and power, the Forester seem to perform better in term of power, comfort and fuel consumption. (Both are stock)

Tested the BMW X1, Mazda C5 2.0 and 2.5l. Quite like the X1 and the performance and feel came close to my Airtrek and Forester. But wasn’t prepared to fork out over 200K for it. Also, not used to the start-stop function on the X1 and C5. Hence, decided to go with Forester.

Three minor issues I feel uncomfortable are: -

1) Power rear gate is slightly retard,

2) Air conditioning temp has to set below 21 degree to prevent “recirulate” vent opening once the temp reach around 24~25 degree programmed under factory setting.

3) Auto head light – too sensitive.

Managed to clock an avg of 12.5km/l (90% highway) with occasional spirit driving. Which is almost similar to my wife’s Altis.

Once started with SUV, you will unlikely return to sedan as embarking and disembarking is definitely easier compared to sedan.

Trust the above will assist you to make an informed decision.

• Praise 6

Managed to clock an avg of 12.5km/l (90% highway) with occasional spirit driving. Which is almost similar to my wife’s Altis.

Wow, very good FC u got. Especially for a turbo. May I know what petrol grade you pump? 95? 98? vpower?

• Praise 2

I can understand her concerns,.. I had similar experience with the service centre in Toa Payoh.

Lucky mine was minor stuff,... but still,... the feeling you get is,... One,... not so much of the "bad service",... but feeling cheated.

and Two,... it really leaves a bad taste and I've never gone back to them.

I now service my scubie via 3rd party,... and these guys really give you a proper run down. No monkey business and no stupid up sells.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1