2015 Forester 2.0

subarudreamer

Neutral Newbie
On 10/13/2019 at 5:33 PM, Forested said:

anyone tried replacing the blow off valve with GFB? pardon my ignorance, what are the pros and cons? and will it damage existing turbo or engine?  TIA

https://gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/mach-2/mach-2-tms-recirculating-diverter-valve-direct-fitment-829-832-834-836-838-2014-11-25-detail/

NEW MACH 2: ENTRY LEVEL TMS

THE SIMPLE & ESSENTIAL MOD FOR 30% QUICKER BOOST

Utilising Proven Tms Technology To Ensure Dependable Boost Holding And Optimum Throttle Response

If you don’t need the patented venting bias adjustment feature of the Respons or Deceptor Pro, the Mach 2 is the answer.

Using GFB’s TMS technology the Mach 2 can help return the engine to peak boost up to 30% faster than a factory diverter valve when shifting gears (more information below).

Recirculation model for direct factory replacement for performance without the noise

Atmosphere venting kits to convert the recirculating valve if you want noise with your performance

Like the Respons and Deceptor Pro II, the Mach 2 is available in a range of bolt-on kits for most popular turbo models. And when we say “bolt-on”, that’s exactly what we mean! No additional adaptors, parts or vehicle modifications are required – simply remove the factory bypass valve and replace it with the Mach 2 – it’s that simple!

The Mach 2 is configured as a 100% recirculating valve (i.e. bypass, plumb back) and add on kits are also available to convert to 100% atmosphere venting. Use the recirc model for direct factory replacement when you want the performance WITHOUT the noise! Add the conversion kit when you want some noise with your performance!
Factory bypass valves have two main shortcomings – one is that they are typically designed to start opening above a certain pressure to protect the engine, and the other is they are not optimised for throttle response. Oh, and you can’t vent them to atmosphere without stalling your engine…
The Mach 2 solves all of these issues. It can effectively hold unlimited boost (unlimited in that no turbo could ever produce enough pressure to damage it), and the TMS technology ensures maximum throttle response. Oh, and you CAN vent with the atmo conversion to atmosphere without stalling your engine…

If you are looking to replace the factory bypass valves with an aftermarket one, you may want to pair it with an aftermarket boost control solenoid as well, these 2 go hand in hand in my humble opinion. Thereafter after the replacement, get yourself a trustable tuner to remap. Tuner is important, there are many in the market, some promise you the sky, some are realistic. there is only so much boost u can draw from the FXT with a stock setup(i assumed) even with the replacement of the bypass valve and BCS.  Another thing to note which you may be already aware, the higher the torque figures, the higher the wear and tear rate, simple engineering theory. Also not forgetting, once you replace the stock bypass valve and bcs, your warranty for engine which i remember is for 5 years, will be void by MI.  Have Fun!  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

15 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

It seems that subaru servicing now used Motul oil instead of Shell. Correct? At least that was what reflected on the invoice  

Yes and they paste the bright red motul servicing label on the windscreen.

14 hours ago, MPS said:

Hi Richard,

I thot it was expensive..haha...the SA said it needed 12 litres of CVT fluid.

But worth the change. 

Hi MPS,

Should be 7 litres for usual/typical drain and top up of CVT gear oil as noted in the service checklist that I received ... 12 litres is only if you perform flushing but MI cannot do this. 

BMS  AMK, Khang Auto Transmission (Ubi) etc. has the equipment and it will cost us 400+ due to the amount of CVT oil needed.]

Indeed worth the change and some do so every 20km but for sure you need to flush if not done until 90k-100k km.

Cheers,

Richard

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Immotive said:

I was given W30 for my FXT by MI during recent service. Anyone experienced the same thing?

Hi Immotive,

Never in my case from day 1 ... it had been 5W40 which I noted for sure in the service checklist/invoice but unfortunately discarded.

FXT should be 5W40 and not 5W30 (suitable for cooler non turbo FNA) ... 5W30 noted in your service checklist/invoice ??

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

17 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

It seems that subaru servicing now used Motul oil instead of Shell. Correct? At least that was what reflected on the invoice  

Hi Rayleigh,

Yes, announced tie-up by MI with Motul but dunno which grade:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/motor-image-motul-announce-partnership-070010050.html

For my preferred 300V grade, you need to top up SGD76 but note good for only 7k km and not 10k km even though MI may advise otherwise.

Cheers.

Richard

motul.jpg

Edited by richard_crl032

3 hours ago, Jamesgetz said:

did you install the GFB bypass valve? How is it compared to the stock one ?

Yup. Better than stock. Spools slightly faster and can hold the boost longer (which is my main objective of changing the diverter valve). I did not get the venting kit as I feel it might affect the holding pressure by releasing some exhaust out of the system.

• Praise 1

On 7/25/2019 at 6:10 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Rainman,

Just came back after trying kaki's ride with rsr spring, cusco touring A and rear wrx arb ... wow wow wow !!

Never doubted RSR springs from day 1 on its stability compared to still jittery pink springs but the abruptness was just too much and stiffer adjustable touring A also cannot help.

Yet again as shared in my own "down grade" from cusco arb to wrx to stock arb, it was that typically recommended cusco arb which is the culprit also in kaki setup that was simply too harsh while trying to manage roll but over powering the springs and introduced the harshness for both original and even pink springs ... but PERFECT with RSR springs that balanced nicely with wrx arb leading to super stable and close to zero harshness with MOST compliant ride ever experienced in my last 2 years, including the more cushy FNA .

Yes, my journey for compliant ride had concluded and hope this long 2 years help bro to save $ ...  if current cusco front arb and stock rear arb cannot be dialed in to be like my kaki's ride, I will just go back to stock arb and repurchase rear wrx arb since already given to him as my last last spent.

Wow wow wow !  RSR springs ordered and should be here for installation by next Friday ..... no pricey ohlin or tein monotubes with pro sensors etc. needed henceforth and about sgd2k nia without cusco controller :)

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Forested,

Here:

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2698911-2015-forester-20/?p=6696247

Cheers.

Richard

Thanks Richard for the good recommendation on the magic collars! Indeed I can find substantial difference in terms of handling after installation. Just installed last Sat, my only mod is rear ARB from MI. I am still on stock tyres, yet I can feel the difference, next mod will be tyres. 

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, Busytiger said:

Thanks Richard for the good recommendation on the magic collars! Indeed I can find substantial difference in terms of handling after installation. Just installed last Sat, my only mod is rear ARB from MI. I am still on stock tyres, yet I can feel the difference, next mod will be tyres. 

Hi Busytiger,

Good to know and happy for you !  

Yes, a bit more road feel aka road noise but the feel of more planted ride from stock is certainly preferred for me.

Believe your rear MI's WRX STI ARB suffices to alleviate roll, bounce etc. since any stiffer and ride may be more harsh than you care for but for front ARB, I put back the cusco one for the 3rd time without significant harshness being intro and got back the sharp sharp aka confident cornering and alleviate the uncomfortable front roll when engaging spirited turns.

Stock tyres if dueler are bad with poor grip but is comfy 225/55/18 I believe for fxt and avoid typical mod to profile 50 of 235/50/18 as less rubber will be more harsh aka more noisy if you care ... I am now on 235/55/18 with inconsequential rubbing at full lock and even tyre pressure affects ride and do consider options and your preference before commitment to sgd800-1000 for some good michelin, pirelli etc.   All the best !

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 1

On 10/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Busytiger,

Good to know and happy for you !  

Yes, a bit more road feel aka road noise but the feel of more planted ride from stock is certainly preferred for me.

Believe your rear MI's WRX STI ARB suffices to alleviate roll, bounce etc. since any stiffer and ride may be more harsh than you care for but for front ARB, I put back the cusco one for the 3rd time without significant harshness being intro and got back the sharp sharp aka confident cornering and alleviate the uncomfortable front roll when engaging spirited turns.

Stock tyres if dueler are bad with poor grip but is comfy 225/55/18 I believe for fxt and avoid typical mod to profile 50 of 235/50/18 as less rubber will be more harsh aka more noisy if you care ... I am now on 235/55/18 with inconsequential rubbing at full lock and even tyre pressure affects ride and do consider options and your preference before commitment to sgd800-1000 for some good michelin, pirelli etc.   All the best !

Cheers.

Richard

Richard, u run 235/55r18 on stock rimor aftermarket rim? 

On 10/21/2019 at 10:12 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Immotive,

Never in my case from day 1 ... it had been 5W40 which I noted for sure in the service checklist/invoice but unfortunately discarded.

FXT should be 5W40 and not 5W30 (suitable for cooler non turbo FNA) ... 5W30 noted in your service checklist/invoice ??

Cheers.

Richard

Yup. That happened after they changed from shell to motul. 

• Praise 1

On 10/20/2019 at 7:41 PM, MPS said:

Hi Richard,

I thot it was expensive..haha...the SA said it needed 12 litres of CVT fluid.

But worth the change. 

Hi MPS,

Cheap liao .. see checklist which mine states 7l ... 12l would be flushing which MI dun do.

Not 1st time SA messed up with wrong info .. lol !

Cheers.

Richard

21 hours ago, Immotive said:

Yup. That happened after they changed from shell to motul. 

Hi Immotive,

Mine stated 5w40 but 300v with topup of sgd76 and perhaps yours is free Subaru Motul ? type under Service package which they then wack in for for FNA to save cost and trouble ??

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

22 hours ago, shutterbox said:

Richard, u run 235/55r18 on stock rimor aftermarket rim? 

Hi Shutterbox, 

Aftermarket prodrive gc-014i offset 43 with 25mm lowered rsr springs and cusco touring A dampers.

Very very non-consequential rubbing at only one spot when full lock cos plastic fender is soft and yielding.  

Not sure if with stock rims cos geometry changes which may not be for the better .. best to try out at tyres shop before committing.

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 1

34 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Shutterbox, 

Aftermarket prodrive gc-014i offset 43 with 25mm lowered rsr springs and cusco touring A dampers.

Very very non-consequential rubbing at only one spot when full lock cos plastic fender is soft and yielding.  

Not sure if with stock rims cos geometry changes which may not be for the better .. best to try out at tyres shop before committing.

Cheers.

Richard

kum sia.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Immotive,

Mine stated 5w40 but 300v with topup of sgd76 and perhaps yours is free Subaru Motul ? type under Service package which they then wack in for for FNA to save cost and trouble ??

Cheers.

Richard

Apparently so. Seems like they only have 5w 30 for motul. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Immotive said:

Apparently so. Seems like they only have 5w 30 for motul. 

My FXT is already 110k, using 5W30 since day 1. 

Just follow the manual, modern engine are different from older time where need w40 or w50.

• Praise 2

10 hours ago, Tohto said:

My FXT is already 110k, using 5W30 since day 1. 

Just follow the manual, modern engine are different from older time where need w40 or w50.

Hey Tohto/Immotive

Your sharing woke me up .. 

Not sure why but had always tot w40 for fxt and hence w30 .. indeed should be w30 and w20 instead per manual here which I had for 2 yrs but admittedly din read its 700 pages:

<<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YZQ5jHwq2iKgoSUbolhE8cH3OtaUoTa0/view?usp=drivesdk>>

Also read of usa forum on premium "gas" requirement of fxt and tot octane 95 suffice but octane 98 is what it is designed and needed unless owners dun want right performance.

It is a good start to the long weekend holidays and happy deepavali to our indian bros here.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20191026-075314_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191026-075154_Drive.jpg

Edited by richard_crl032
↡ Advertisement