SUV: X-Trail or Harrier?

Char

In Malaysia Harrier selling at RM 230k and XTrail at RM 148K ....

Harrier is imported while xtrail is assembled locally if I'm not wrong.

X-trail's +2 isn't a true +2. Last row is fit for really small sized people with really short legs.

Climbing in & out of 3rd row takes some effort!

Ok la. I am 1.75m n tried sitting at the 3rd row. Height is ok, but leg space is tight. Can be more comfortable if 2nd row is push further front.

SUV - these are on my watch list. all about there :D

AD = X-Trail (5+2), Outlander (5+2), Sorento (5+2), Sante Fe (5+2)

PI = Harrier (5)

Actually, there are 2 considerations to make the choice.

(a) if you don't need 5+2 .... HARRIER

(b) if you need 5+2 ... then i will probably go for X-Trail

What abt xtrail vs santa fe? Which one in your opinion is better?

Thats a big diff. I think xtrail in Malaysia is not as well specs as Singapore's? I read that there r only 2 airbags in xtrail malaysia.

Hypersonic

I think is because Harrier is MIJ. Higher import tax.

While XTrail MIT, I think there are some agreement between Asean car manufacturer country on lower import tax.

Lol. Its meme perhaps. I dun like the centre console as well as the plasticky dashboard. Drop by the showroom n let me know hw u feel!

Yup. Outlander interior a lot of hard plastic like a Lancer GLX.

I used to drive a old 06 Xtrail and it is a great machine. But the new Xtrail which I test drive when it was launched is not as good anymore. The drive was very under power for a 4WD, the back sit was lack of space and not comfortable with 3 adults in it. The last 2 sit can only accommodate 2 children but you may not want to put your kid in it as if there is a back impact, most properly your kids will be badly injured. Also taken note that the new xtrail FC is bad (compare to new harrier) and the maintenance is a pain. At 150K millage, almost everything fall a part and replacing the items are very costly. If you go check out any repair workshop, they will told you that Nissan cars is not as reliable as Toyota and it come with known fault on the engine design which make repair expensive. Lastly the cost of Xtrail is higher then Harrier. So if you ask me, either you go for Harrier or if you got a lot of cash, go for Land Rover. Xtrail is no longer a good option here.

X-trail if I am to choose now... Need the last row occasionally.

Never put your kids on the last row! If there is accident, they will suffer badly and most properly they will not survive as their small little body cannot take that kind of impact.

if you drive for fun, X-trail, otherwise Harrier,

Honestly speaking, Harrier only is city crossover instead of SUV,

think Singapore don't have good subsidy for diesel car, and inconvenient if drive to Malaysia,

usual impression, diesel car noisy, smell and dirty

There is no different for 4WD and 2WD on normal road for Xtrail as I use to own one. 4WD only good if you go Malaysia and getting into cross road. But before you get to cross road in Malaysia, most properly your back passage already throw up on you as the back sit was not comfortable for long ride.

(edited)

I used to drive a old 06 Xtrail and it is a great machine. But the new Xtrail which I test drive when it was launched is not as good anymore. The drive was very under power for a 4WD, the back sit was lack of space and not comfortable with 3 adults in it. The last 2 sit can only accommodate 2 children but you may not want to put your kid in it as if there is a back impact, most properly your kids will be badly injured. Also taken note that the new xtrail FC is bad (compare to new harrier) and the maintenance is a pain. At 150K millage, almost everything fall a part and replacing the items are very costly. If you go check out any repair workshop, they will told you that Nissan cars is not as reliable as Toyota and it come with known fault on the engine design which make repair expensive. Lastly the cost of Xtrail is higher then Harrier. So if you ask me, either you go for Harrier or if you got a lot of cash, go for Land Rover. Xtrail is no longer a good option here.

Never put your kids on the last row! If there is accident, they will suffer badly and most properly they will not survive as their small little body cannot take that kind of impact.

There is no different for 4WD and 2WD on normal road for Xtrail as I use to own one. 4WD only good if you go Malaysia and getting into cross road. But before you get to cross road in Malaysia, most properly your back passage already throw up on you as the back sit was not comfortable for long ride.

I think there is a vast improvement from the old xtrail as compared to the new xtrail. there are technology like the Active Ride in the new xtrail which I think many fail to appreciate. But i do admit that the new xtrail is underpowered for some who are used to accelerating at a gd speed.

As for the 2nd row seats, I think the seats are fairly comfortable, even with 3 adults. I would say the sit feel is as gd as, or even better than my existing civic fd1.

Not sure how you came about with the 'at 150k mileage, almost everything fall apart and replacing items are very costly', are these feedback from overseas users of the new xtrail or are you talking about the old xtrail's maintenance?

Last but not least, xtrail's pricing is higher indeed. both are MIJ. but I think xtrail has an edge as it is from AD, rather than PI.

my 2 cents.... :)

Edited by slowloris25

I think there is a vast improvement from the old xtrail as compared to the new xtrail. there are technology like the Active Ride in the new xtrail which I think many fail to appreciate. But i do admit that the new xtrail is underpowered for some who are used to accelerating at a gd speed.

As for the 2nd row seats, I think the seats are fairly comfortable, even with 3 adults. I would say the sit feel is as gd as, or even better than my existing civic fd1.

Not sure how you came about with the 'at 150k mileage, almost everything fall apart and replacing items are very costly', are these feedback from overseas users of the new xtrail or are you talking about the old xtrail's maintenance?

Last but not least, xtrail's pricing is higher indeed. both are MIJ. but I think xtrail has an edge as it is from AD, rather than PI.

my 2 cents.... :)

Most Nissan car and my 06 xtrail start giving problem at 150k. Bear in mind that AD also charge higher for maintenance and any after sale support. Toyota is top 10 most reliable and easy maintain car so even if you buy from PI is not that bad as you can get maintenance some where else. Also Nissan cars are also know to be petrol drinker.

Most Nissan car and my 06 xtrail start giving problem at 150k. Bear in mind that AD also charge higher for maintenance and any after sale support. Toyota is top 10 most reliable and easy maintain car so even if you buy from PI is not that bad as you can get maintenance some where else. Also Nissan cars are also know to be petrol drinker.

I have no doubt that toyotas r indeed very reliable. What i am saying is that you r basing on ur old xtrail to evaluate the new xtrail, which is not really fair.

Btw, if not for the occasoccasional 3rd row seats, i would have chosen harrier or honda vezel anytime! :)

(edited)

Do you know why Japanese cars got better reliability/durability than conti cars in statistics ?

because Japanese makers use less new technology than conti makers, e.g Japanese cars less Turbocharged, Less GDI, Less DCT/DSG etc

Edited by MQX87511

I think is because Harrier is MIJ. Higher import tax.

While XTrail MIT, I think there are some agreement between Asean car manufacturer country on lower import tax.

Yup. Outlander interior a lot of hard plastic like a Lancer GLX.

I believe the Xtrail sold here is made in Japan as well. AD typically will get lower import price when compared with parallel importer since they get the volume discount from manufacturer.

Normally, my helper takes the last row.... But don't get me wrong, safety of all my passengers are as important.

For SUV, by virtue of the higher stance, it's relatively safer that regular MPV.

The last row is so closed to the back of the car leaving no allowance upon impact will for sure cause injury to the passenger. The problem is now a day, there are a lot of reckless driver who love to tail gate. I first view the new X-trail also because of the extra sits but don't feel save to have someone sitting on last row. My wife do not want a MPV so we end up with Harrier. I would prefer to go for Fortuner or Discovery (if you ready want a safe SUV) but for my case they are out of my budget and the cc is too high.

I am very sure Nissan is just as reliable as a Toyota, I have been driving a Nissan for the past 10 years and the latest one since new 6 yrs +. I can't imagine how a Camry for eg could be any more reliable than my Teana for which there has been no breakdowns apart from wear and tear parts. Nissan parts are just as easily available and cost no more than Toyota's.

Nissan being a petrol drinker is also becoming a myth with the models released in the past few years. I can get 10km/l on some occasions for my 2.5 V6.

The 2 litre Harrier should definitely be no more powerful than the X-Trail.

For the same price, I may still be inclined to get the nicer looking Harrier, internally and externally. But if the price difference is anywhere like 10k , which I believe is right now, then the X-Trail could be a better buy with its worry free AD warranty and additional 2 seats even if used sparingly.

Just my personal experience

X-Trail and Harrier was part of the 'shortlisted' car when i was shopping for a car recently

For X-Trail

Visited AD, see the car, and test drove

Forget about the last row, can only fit children less than 1m tall, maybe up to 3 yo... becos no leg room

Forget about the 4WD on Sg road, can reach only only 20 km/h during the test drive, unless you are really using this car for Off Road purpose

Best thing is AD warranty and Free Oil change Services available

For Harrier

Visited few PIs, saw the car, and decided to purchase straight away... attracted by the LOOK, inside and outside...

BUT strictly no test drive for the few i visited, understand some lucky chaps managed to get a test drive from certain PI

Worst thing is PI Warranty, and no Free services at all (Some PI may provide)

Also becos of great experiences driving few Toyotas perviously

I guess... Toyota cars shouldn't be that bad

Decided to jump into Harrier, placed my deposit, and got my car in 2 weeks... very impressed with delivery... better than many ADs

Had been driving it for slightly more than 2 months now...

I am a happy owner of Harrier !

Hope these few pointers help in your buying decision

Hypersonic

Normally, my helper takes the last row.... But don't get me wrong, safety of all my passengers are as important.

For SUV, by virtue of the higher stance, it's relatively safer that regular MPV.

At high speed, much higher chance that an SUV can turn turtle or flip. And this kinda injuries, no airbag will help u.

In normal bumper back to front collision, SUV safer than sedan for front and mid row passengers. But if u put passengers in the 3rd row, they are actually at much higher risk compared to people seating in a normal sedan backseat.

All in all, i won't say SUV is safer than sedan or MPV other the most straightforward bumper to bumper accident.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1