New Hyundai Tucson

Darryl

Hi, anyone test drive the diesel version? How is it compared to the petrol version?

Also, what is the COE rebate level currently that Komoco is offering?

Thanks.

No diesel available for test drive.
↡ Advertisement

Hi, anyone test drive the diesel version? How is it compared to the petrol version?

Also, what is the COE rebate level currently that Komoco is offering?

Thanks.

Coe rebate for Tuscon is 31k.

Coe rebate for Tuscon is 31k.

Is the diesel the 2.2 CRDi? The road + diesel tax for that is going to be a killer... probably wipe out any savings by using diesel?

EDIT: Just checked the Sgcarmart and it says 2.0 L diesel and the road tax is about $2000 (I expect it includes the diesel tax)... normal 2 L petrol is about $1200. Need to save $800 in fuel a year to break even. Works out to like $67 per month. Really depends on how much you drive. If you clock 2000 km a month, then for the 2.0 L petrol with a claimed 12.8 km/L, and using RON92 it uses about 156.25 L a month and at the going rate of $1.84, it will cost $287.50. With diesel, and a claimed 16.4 km/L, it will use 121.95 L a month and at the going rate of $1.06, it will cost $129.27. So you save $158.23. If you clock 1000 km, then you half the savings to about $79 a month using the diesel.

The figures are contingent on the driver being able to hit the claimed fuel consumption and clocking enough mileage a month/year to make it worthwhile. If you use RON95 petrol, you save less. And if pump prices go up, then it will benefit using a diesel cos diesel always costs less. Except in Europe.

Edited by teomingern

Is the diesel the 2.2 CRDi? The road + diesel tax for that is going to be a killer... probably wipe out any savings by using diesel?

EDIT: Just checked the Sgcarmart and it says 2.0 L diesel and the road tax is about $2000 (I expect it includes the diesel tax)... normal 2 L petrol is about $1200. Need to save $800 in fuel a year to break even. Works out to like $67 per month. Really depends on how much you drive. If you clock 2000 km a month, then for the 2.0 L petrol with a claimed 12.8 km/L, and using RON92 it uses about 156.25 L a month and at the going rate of $1.84, it will cost $287.50. With diesel, and a claimed 16.4 km/L, it will use 121.95 L a month and at the going rate of $1.06, it will cost $129.27. So you save $158.23. If you clock 1000 km, then you half the savings to about $79 a month using the diesel.

The figures are contingent on the driver being able to hit the claimed fuel consumption and clocking enough mileage a month/year to make it worthwhile. If you use RON95 petrol, you save less. And if pump prices go up, then it will benefit using a diesel cos diesel always costs less. Except in Europe.

Unless u drive around alot for work, cost saving consideration is secondary in SG. You should look at performance and increased drivability from high torque avail from very low rpm of a turbo diesel lugging a heavy SUV.

Unless u drive around alot for work, cost saving consideration is secondary in SG. You should look at performance and increased drivability from high torque avail from very low rpm of a turbo diesel lugging a heavy SUV.

Maybe for you... but for someone who clocks very high mileage it would be a serious consideration... e.g. sales people on the move.

Maybe for you... but for someone who clocks very high mileage it would be a serious consideration... e.g. sales people on the move.

Thats what he meant isnt it?

Unless u drive ard during work a lot

I was just wondering if any of you guys know abit more abt the diesel engines.

on the maintenance part. If we r in malaysia or just for say use industrial diesel here are there any problems as their sulphur content is higher?

from what i know diesel vehicles in the past wld have this filter in the exhaust system clogged and would cost expensive repairs.

For some makes seems like they have this maintenance free type of filter system where it "burns up" while the vehicle is running so its never suppose to get clogged under normal circumstances. 

So just wondering if our hyundai are designed similarly?

I was just wondering if any of you guys know abit more abt the diesel engines.

on the maintenance part. If we r in malaysia or just for say use industrial diesel here are there any problems as their sulphur content is higher?

from what i know diesel vehicles in the past wld have this filter in the exhaust system clogged and would cost expensive repairs.

For some makes seems like they have this maintenance free type of filter system where it "burns up" while the vehicle is running so its never suppose to get clogged under normal circumstances. 

So just wondering if our hyundai are designed similarly?

Your diesel engine is a Euro 5 engine. So it requires Euro 5-compliant diesel or very low sulfur diesel. Which is available in Singapore at all pump stations. But only Petron sells Euro 5 diesel at selected outlets. You can google for Petron and see where they sell it. The northern-most point in Malaysia where Petron has Euro 5 diesel is an obscure station off the N-S Highway, on one of the by-pass highways around KL. After that, no one sells Euro 5 diesel. If you are willing to make that 30 km detour (one way) to get a full tank, then proceed up north, you can drive up to Ipoh and back without any problem. I think you might be able to do Penang and back to that station...

If you don't use Euro 5 diesel, your engine will die in no time. The valves and injectors will foul and get damaged. If it's an emergency pump just to limp to the next station with Euro 5 diesel, I think no harm done. It's extended use of Euro 5 diesel that will kill your engine.

Your diesel engine is a Euro 5 engine. So it requires Euro 5-compliant diesel or very low sulfur diesel. Which is available in Singapore at all pump stations. But only Petron sells Euro 5 diesel at selected outlets. You can google for Petron and see where they sell it. The northern-most point in Malaysia where Petron has Euro 5 diesel is an obscure station off the N-S Highway, on one of the by-pass highways around KL. After that, no one sells Euro 5 diesel. If you are willing to make that 30 km detour (one way) to get a full tank, then proceed up north, you can drive up to Ipoh and back without any problem. I think you might be able to do Penang and back to that station...

If you don't use Euro 5 diesel, your engine will die in no time. The valves and injectors will foul and get damaged. If it's an emergency pump just to limp to the next station with Euro 5 diesel, I think no harm done. It's extended use of Euro 5 diesel that will kill your engine.

Thanks for this info.

however is there some filter thingy in the headers or something that would require a change or some kind of maintenence after sometime?

Diesel Particulate Filter is the word i was looking for. after googling ard for a while seems like this will decide your maintence cost above whatever type of fuel you use. Makes perfect sense to me.

As volvo claims they have tested their 1.6l engine a drive up to thailand and back not a issue refuelling anywhere.

Same for citreon and peugeot they have "cleaning cycles" which clears off the suit. For this some say u got to drive harder as the cleaning only occurs at very high temperatures.

Guess everyones using those DPF that can burn off suit and read this cycle could last 20mins. Else if will restart again when u drive again. So seem like such diesel cars are not for short drives on a regular usage.

As for high sulphur diesel from my understanding will require more regular cleaning of injectors on top on the cleaning cycling mode occurring often.

From some articles and forums i have read this is what i can conclude....but not 100% sure if this is how things work on hyundais. 

Edited by Rajoana

Shell and BHP sells euro 5 diesel at selected stations too, not only Petronas.

Petron is not Petronas. They're the only ones with widespread Euro 5 diesel availability in Malaysia at the moment. Edited by teomingern

For those who has tested Tucson, cx5 and forester, do u find that Tucson engine seems to be the most sluggish even though on paper it isn't?

Or is it just me. On paper, cx5 is the fastest for 0-100.

For those who has tested Tucson, cx5 and forester, do u find that Tucson engine seems to be the most sluggish even though on paper it isn't?

Or is it just me. On paper, cx5 is the fastest for 0-100.

Depends how you drive.....people said my Trajet pick up also very slow....just see how you drive.....definitely cannot compared with those with Turbo or performance car sia....Trajet is almost 1.8tons....my old Matrix also 1.3tons....i also drive below 10s for 0~100km...

Petron is not Petronas. They're the only ones with widespread Euro 5 diesel availability in Malaysia at the moment.

Yes.. Petron is formerly Esso/Mobil, BHP is formerly BP.
  • Praise 1

thanks for the feedback.. you mention about "mostly maintenance free" really level up my interest more on this new Tucson... will drop over to do a test drive to make the final decision

googled and read about hyundai's 6 speed gearbox is maintenence free. i.e. w/o dipstick and atf. any owners can confirm this?