How to solve unwanted noises in your car

Hi all,

i just bought a new Honda Fit, and the roofliner tends to have a small rattle (zzzz) when going over bumpy roads or at high speed (>80km/h). Thinking of dismantling it and then pasting some strong tape to keep it tighter, but not sure how to go about dismantling it.. sian..

On a side positive note, just did 4 doors double layer soundproofing in JB, road noise is cut off by min 70%! So at least I've got that going for me...

My wife say i am driving myself crazy by paying attention to all these tiny noises, but i cant help it haha... :(

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Well. I do get a fair bit of noise from my wheels. Like some wobbling.. Especially slower speed. But it is not too major, Since I am also quite sensitive to these sort of noises. But I just choose to ignore it, and take it as bigger rim will make noise more prominent that's all. Until it get worse and become more unbearable, then I will take action..

Noise from air con too. And mechanic just say, until it got worst then go to him.

Lol

Hi all,

i just bought a new Honda Fit, and the roofliner tends to have a small rattle (zzzz) when going over bumpy roads or at high speed (>80km/h). Thinking of dismantling it and then pasting some strong tape to keep it tighter, but not sure how to go about dismantling it.. sian..

On a side positive note, just did 4 doors double layer soundproofing in JB, road noise is cut off by min 70%! So at least I've got that going for me...

My wife say i am driving myself crazy by paying attention to all these tiny noises, but i cant help it haha... :(

My advice to men is whatever your wife said must be correct!

Back to roof lining noise, did you install car cam or other devices that may involve running of wiring over the roof? The noise could be due to wiring without a soft insulation layer, it will produce noise when the wire hits the roof lining. at times you may see a wire having sponge on the outer layer, do not peel them off, they are there to reduce vibration noise.

Edited by Ct3833

Sharing my “unwanted noise” on my SKPXXXX! Toyota Altis

Distances travelled to date : 147,000km

Approximately: 5 years

Parts changed :

3 pair of Original front brake pads

1 pair of rear pad

3 pair of front original front shocks

1 pair of rear shocks

1 pair of front brake rotor

2 pair of engine mounts all 4 pieces

All of the above done at 50k, 60k ,80k 120k and ,140k

However there is one particular noise I was not able to solve/ rectify only until at 145k . That’s the noise while driving over the hump.

I thought it is the 4pcs engine mounting but it was not.

It couldn’t be the front shocks as they are not leaking oils. Handling was not bouncy...

All the thinks I have changed and can changes I have done as I was one of the more sensitive drive.

All u see carriage rubber lu Ka looks good ball joints looks ok. No free play. However engine wasn’t idling as smoothly. A sudden drop in rpm to ~550 for a few seconds then recover to 650rpm at traffic light.

In the end . I decided to do a co plate overhaul on the linkages tie rods stabalaizer bar. Sway bar and the most crucial lower arm. The whole pieces . Wheel bearings front only. And the 4 PCs ignition coils.

Now it runs perfectly and quietly like brand new.

My answer to all these funny noises is to bloody h*ll change all the whole damn wear and tears parts.

Lucky an Altis parts are not so expensive like the continental ones... so it’s still bearable...

Just my sharings. When it’s time ; esp in Singapore hot and humid environment change the pets to eliminate all these notices to enjoy the ride a bit better.

• Praise 1

It sounds like my legs are being pulled while grease are being applied to brake pads.

Really?

yes, on the back of the pads before installing them,.

but then again check the rotors.. it might be resonate that is causing the squeaks

Hi all,

My personal experience (2009 Hyundai Avante) was, buzzing from the roof lining. It happens only intermittently, not loud but noticeable when driving without radio. It took me about 6 months to find out the culprit. One day, I decided to press on those roof clips and one of them was able to replicate the buzzing sound. So I decided to source new one and replaced it and the buzzing sound was gone.

Regarding the attention to tiny noise, I myself often notice that I am focusing alot on them too. Hahaha, so you are not alone. The problem is once the car is being improved with insulation, one will realise that there are some light rattling or buzzing sound starts to be heard. I think these noise are actually there in the first place, just that the car was "noisy" enough originally to mask out those light rattles or buzzing.

My personal experience (2009 Hyundai Avante) was, buzzing from the roof lining. It happens only intermittently, not loud but noticeable when driving without radio. It took me about 6 months to find out the culprit. One day, I decided to press on those roof clips and one of them was able to replicate the buzzing sound. So I decided to source new one and replaced it and the buzzing sound was gone.

Regarding the attention to tiny noise, I myself often notice that I am focusing alot on them too. Hahaha, so you are not alone. The problem is once the car is being improved with insulation, one will realise that there are some light rattling or buzzing sound starts to be heard. I think these noise are actually there in the first place, just that the car was "noisy" enough originally to mask out those light rattles or buzzing.

Just switch on the radio so that you would not hear those light noises in the car la. Lol.

Neutral Newbie

Sharing my “unwanted noise” on my SKPXXXX! Toyota Altis

Distances travelled to date : 147,000km

Approximately: 5 years

Parts changed :

3 pair of Original front brake pads

1 pair of rear pad

3 pair of front original front shocks

1 pair of rear shocks

1 pair of front brake rotor

2 pair of engine mounts all 4 pieces

All of the above done at 50k, 60k ,80k 120k and ,140k

However there is one particular noise I was not able to solve/ rectify only until at 145k . That’s the noise while driving over the hump.

I thought it is the 4pcs engine mounting but it was not.

It couldn’t be the front shocks as they are not leaking oils. Handling was not bouncy...

All the thinks I have changed and can changes I have done as I was one of the more sensitive drive.

All u see carriage rubber lu Ka looks good ball joints looks ok. No free play. However engine wasn’t idling as smoothly. A sudden drop in rpm to ~550 for a few seconds then recover to 650rpm at traffic light.

In the end . I decided to do a co plate overhaul on the linkages tie rods stabalaizer bar. Sway bar and the most crucial lower arm. The whole pieces . Wheel bearings front only. And the 4 PCs ignition coils.

Now it runs perfectly and quietly like brand new.

My answer to all these funny noises is to bloody h*ll change all the whole damn wear and tears parts.

Lucky an Altis parts are not so expensive like the continental ones... so it’s still bearable...

Just my sharings. When it’s time ; esp in Singapore hot and humid environment change the pets to eliminate all these notices to enjoy the ride a bit better.

Mind sharing whats the damage for the overhaul? and where did you go for the overhaul

On 5/31/2015 at 5:22 PM, Heartbreakid said:

I have encountered a few rattling noise issue too. I drive an Avante. When the car was new, it was great but when wear and tear sets in, rattling sets in. Most of them, I managed to discover and resolved it myself. If you are those who DIY will perhaps do what I did, like off the radio and drive. This helps to identify the source of noise much better. Depend on workshop, they wont know where and what (because they dont spend as much time as you in your car to be able to hear it), and they might just trial and error and remove this and that and make matters worse. But if it is a known issue, usually the workshop can rectify the issue. So here are some of my unwanted noise encounters:

1) Whenever going over a hump or slope diagonally, the rear glass will have a cracking sound intermittently. It just sounds like someone tapped on the glass hard with knackles. Sprayed silicone spray around the glass seal area solves this "cracking" sound. This happens when the car was new too. Apparently, after reading from some websites and forums from overseas, the seal around the glass is dry and hence by spraying silicone lubricates and kill the noise. Point to note only use those spray without petrol distillation contents.

2) Front windscreen cowling rattling noise. From the interior, it sounded like within the dashboard emitted the soft rattling or buzzing, the noise is more apparent when going over rough road surfaces. In the end, it was the side cowlings at the base of the front windscreen causing it due to the plastic contact internally with the edges of the windscreen. Added some foam tape at the glass edge to cushion the contact solves this rattling.

3) Rear rattling sound when going over road strips or rough road surfaces or those carpark ramps. When brakes applied no such rattling noise. Found out the rear brake calipers and the brake pads got gap which allow the brake caliper to have some play to move about. Used foam double-sided tape to stick the brake pad to the calipers to fill the gap. Disc still allow to rotate freely without the pads rubbing the disc. (Happens only when wear and tear to brake pads set in.)

4) Buzzing noise within the interior. This is tricky because this buzzing noise happens only intermittently regardless of road surfaces. Found out one of the roof lining securing clip at the rear is the cause. It is not loose or broken, just that perhaps some some play in between which is good enough to cause minor buzzing. Replaced with another solved the issue.

Some say, why bother, some will say just turn on the radio's volume to mask it. But to some, getting a new car, these issues arent acceptable because it is annoying and distracting and kills the joy of owning a new car experience. Well, to each of their own. And I hope I can help abit by contributing some of my experience. Drive safe and enjoy the weekend everyone. Cheers!!

Hi bro,

Sorry that I have to dig out old post.

regarding your this issue: 2) Front windscreen cowling rattling noise. From the interior, it sounded like within the dashboard emitted the soft rattling or buzzing, the noise is more apparent when going over rough road surfaces. In the end, it was the side cowlings at the base of the front windscreen causing it due to the plastic contact internally with the edges of the windscreen. Added some foam tape at the glass edge to cushion the contact solves this rattling.

How do you add the foam tape at the glass edge? you add the tape in between the cowling and windscreen?

25 minutes ago, raymonnnn said:

Hi bro,

Sorry that I have to dig out old post.

regarding your this issue: 2) Front windscreen cowling rattling noise. From the interior, it sounded like within the dashboard emitted the soft rattling or buzzing, the noise is more apparent when going over rough road surfaces. In the end, it was the side cowlings at the base of the front windscreen causing it due to the plastic contact internally with the edges of the windscreen. Added some foam tape at the glass edge to cushion the contact solves this rattling.

How do you add the foam tape at the glass edge? you add the tape in between the cowling and windscreen?

Yes I added between the cowling and the windscreen. At some area where the foam tape is too thick, which will make the side cowling unable to clip properly, I stick those cloth type of tape which are thinner.

17 hours ago, Heartbreakid said:

Yes I added between the cowling and the windscreen. At some area where the foam tape is too thick, which will make the side cowling unable to clip properly, I stick those cloth type of tape which are thinner.

Do you take out the whole cowling in order to put the tape in between? I am hearing abit of buzzing sound near the left bottom corner of my windscreen so I suspecting it's the cowling that is making the sound. But when I inspect my cowling, it seems there's no gap in between which I can paste any tape or whatsoever. No idea if I should bring to workshop to ask them to find the source of the sound or not.

6 hours ago, raymonnnn said:

Do you take out the whole cowling in order to put the tape in between? I am hearing abit of buzzing sound near the left bottom corner of my windscreen so I suspecting it's the cowling that is making the sound. But when I inspect my cowling, it seems there's no gap in between which I can paste any tape or whatsoever. No idea if I should bring to workshop to ask them to find the source of the sound or not.

Yes, need to take out the whole cowling, the side ones that is. For my case it was the source of the buzzing noise. After removal of the side cowling, need to clean the glass as there are accumulation of dirt.

Ideally the source of noise is better to be at least pointed out to a specific area before asking the workshop to assist in resolving. Unless it is a well known or common issue on that specific model, noise or sound, i.e, buzzing, rattling, knocking, can be a challenge for the workshop guys to pin-point and resolve. The reason is they don't drive the car as frequent as the owners would, hence they can only troubleshoot base on experience or by applying "step by step" process in zooming down the suspect area until the main cause is found and resolved. 

If you suspect the side cowl is the source, you can ask the workshop to rectify it for you. For my case was, I detected the noise and tried removed the side cowl and drive around and confirmed they were the issue. Hence I applied the cloth tape and foam tape on specific areas to cushion the contact between the cowling and glass, and the side cowling clip-on points into the main cowling and body (Base of A-pillar). 

Edited by Heartbreakid

My little contribution to this thread. I am driving a PI Harrier. Since I got it about 3.5 years ago, I have had to content with a few noise issues.

1.       There is an intermittent clicking sound coming from, I think, the front right of the car. Exactly where I don’t know. It is quite soft and only comes on once in a while. Over the years, however, it has actually gotten less frequent. I never found out the cause for it.

2.       There was also a rattling sound from the headunit (is that what it is called..? the one with the FM radio and CD player). So I was told that it is like that, as in I just have to live with it as it is not a factory fitted unit and there is some ‘play’ between the headunit and the place where it is being installed. The one I have is a pioneer one where the head unit flip up when I want to put in a CD. So what I did was put some blu tac to dampen it. In any case, I never ever used the CDplayer before. This reduced the rattling sound but when I drive through very rough roads, the rattling sound will still come on.

3.       There is slight rattling sound coming from the glass sunroof. I have tried cleaning the rubber seals around it and it is still like that. However, when the opaque ‘cloth’ sunroof is closed, it insulates the rattling sound from the cabin so I cant hear it at all.

4.       The one noise that really caused me endless sleepless nights was a rattling sound that was coming from the back of the car. I just couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. I felt I was driving a pickup. Until one day, I went to a shop that does soundproofing. So I asked him for advice. All he did was to take a cloth and cleaned the rubber seals on the doors and the frame of the doors and viola, the sound was gone…. So now, every few weeks I will clean the rubber seals.

Last but not least, just a few weeks ago, there would be a groaning/croacking sound from the back of the vehicle whenever I make a sharp left turn to go up or down a ramp, and especially so at slow speeds. However sometimes it would also come on when I drive straight through a hump. I sent my car to my regular workshop BUT as it always happens, I couldn’t replicate the sound there. I send it another workshop to check, and while I could replicate the sound there, they couldn’t pinpoint the issue. They raised the car to check the shock absorbers but they assured me that the shock absorbers are still fine. The workshop suggested that it just could be some parts of the car flexing when I made a sharp turn.

In any case, I am due for my next servicing soon, so will send the car to my regular workshop to check. Sigh….

On 5/31/2015 at 5:22 PM, Heartbreakid said:

I have encountered a few rattling noise issue too. I drive an Avante. When the car was new, it was great but when wear and tear sets in, rattling sets in. Most of them, I managed to discover and resolved it myself. If you are those who DIY will perhaps do what I did, like off the radio and drive. This helps to identify the source of noise much better. Depend on workshop, they wont know where and what (because they dont spend as much time as you in your car to be able to hear it), and they might just trial and error and remove this and that and make matters worse. But if it is a known issue, usually the workshop can rectify the issue. So here are some of my unwanted noise encounters:

1) Whenever going over a hump or slope diagonally, the rear glass will have a cracking sound intermittently. It just sounds like someone tapped on the glass hard with knackles. Sprayed silicone spray around the glass seal area solves this "cracking" sound. This happens when the car was new too. Apparently, after reading from some websites and forums from overseas, the seal around the glass is dry and hence by spraying silicone lubricates and kill the noise. Point to note only use those spray without petrol distillation contents.

2) Front windscreen cowling rattling noise. From the interior, it sounded like within the dashboard emitted the soft rattling or buzzing, the noise is more apparent when going over rough road surfaces. In the end, it was the side cowlings at the base of the front windscreen causing it due to the plastic contact internally with the edges of the windscreen. Added some foam tape at the glass edge to cushion the contact solves this rattling.

3) Rear rattling sound when going over road strips or rough road surfaces or those carpark ramps. When brakes applied no such rattling noise. Found out the rear brake calipers and the brake pads got gap which allow the brake caliper to have some play to move about. Used foam double-sided tape to stick the brake pad to the calipers to fill the gap. Disc still allow to rotate freely without the pads rubbing the disc. (Happens only when wear and tear to brake pads set in.)

4) Buzzing noise within the interior. This is tricky because this buzzing noise happens only intermittently regardless of road surfaces. Found out one of the roof lining securing clip at the rear is the cause. It is not loose or broken, just that perhaps some some play in between which is good enough to cause minor buzzing. Replaced with another solved the issue.

Some say, why bother, some will say just turn on the radio's volume to mask it. But to some, getting a new car, these issues arent acceptable because it is annoying and distracting and kills the joy of owning a new car experience. Well, to each of their own. And I hope I can help abit by contributing some of my experience. Drive safe and enjoy the weekend everyone. Cheers!!

Hi Heartbreakid, facing similar cracking sound from rear glass..

Only see rubber seal on the bottom side above boot... Do u spray on all 4 sides of rear glass from exterior of car?

Liqui Moly silicone spray can work?

Thanks.

https://www.lazada.sg/products/liqui-moly-silicone-spray-lubricant-i303210061-s536454290.html?s_kwcid=AL!4281!3!344048903033!!!g!688256931084!&ef_id=Cj0KCQjw6KrtBRDLARIsAKzvQIEKXpbwJ57fKIsTSUqRSpvhNBYlqNQsjeNLZvUCFNrW0Sjsw0ECq8QaAq0tEALw_wcB:G:s&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1785382266!77709230348!!!pla-688256931084!m!688256931084!536454290!132052768!344048903033&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6KrtBRDLARIsAKzvQIEKXpbwJ57fKIsTSUqRSpvhNBYlqNQsjeNLZvUCFNrW0Sjsw0ECq8QaAq0tEALw_wcB

4 hours ago, Spikesman said:

Hi Spikesman, this Liqui Moly spray you showed me through the link, should helps to lubricate. 

Yes I sprayed all four sides.

Hope this will solved your cracking glass sound issue. 

On 9/5/2019 at 3:57 PM, Heartbreakid said:

Yes, need to take out the whole cowling, the side ones that is. For my case it was the source of the buzzing noise. After removal of the side cowling, need to clean the glass as there are accumulation of dirt.

Ideally the source of noise is better to be at least pointed out to a specific area before asking the workshop to assist in resolving. Unless it is a well known or common issue on that specific model, noise or sound, i.e, buzzing, rattling, knocking, can be a challenge for the workshop guys to pin-point and resolve. The reason is they don't drive the car as frequent as the owners would, hence they can only troubleshoot base on experience or by applying "step by step" process in zooming down the suspect area until the main cause is found and resolved. 

If you suspect the side cowl is the source, you can ask the workshop to rectify it for you. For my case was, I detected the noise and tried removed the side cowl and drive around and confirmed they were the issue. Hence I applied the cloth tape and foam tape on specific areas to cushion the contact between the cowling and glass, and the side cowling clip-on points into the main cowling and body (Base of A-pillar). 

Hey bro, would you mind pm me the workshop 

Where u had this done? I have the exact same issue 

I’m driving a Kia Cerato Forte. Do u guys know why when I start my engine and try to accelerate, there will be a slight jerk before the car moves? 

↡ Advertisement