How to solve unwanted noises in your car

(edited)

Nope, the thing is that it doesn't squeak when braking. That's why wondering if it's really brake pads.

What is your car model? Did the noise started after a servicing or something was done or changed. If that's the case, then must go back to that workshop to rectify. My example was to highlight that sometimes it could be due to improper assembling, something not installed properly. Even AD workshop can make school boy mistakes. There was once after a servicing, I found my jazz engine cover installed wrongly. A certain catch was underneath instead of covering. Another case the battery was not flushed in the holder.

I am not a trained mechanic but I like to pop my hood, look around and touch touch everywhere.

Talking about hood, I am going to share another case about hood rattling. Need to take some photos first.

Edited by Columbian78
↡ Advertisement

Mine (new) had a bad rear seat belt retractor rattling that came on and off.

I felt it came from the dashboard in the driver seat, but my wife thought it was from the back. So locating the source was a challenge initially.

We finally isolated to the retractractor, where I could reproduce the rattling if I pull and let go off the safety belt, or by hitting the rear seat back rest.

Resolved after AD confirmed and replaced it.

share two instances of unwanted sound

1. changed 2 front tyres, after that kept hearing high pitch squeaking sounds whenever steering wheel was turned. AD said due to lack of lubrication. It was lubricated, got better but did not completely go away.

2. whenever volume of music inside car was turned up significantly, vibration sound could be heard.

This turned out to be due to a small metal piece that was left in the bottom pocket of the car door where the car amplifier/speaker was located. The metal piece was vibrating against the car side pocket as a result of vibration caused by the loud music.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Sometimes I hear a noise but I'm unable to find the source. It's a faint squeaking sound coming from the front right side, like the sound of metal being rubbed. Not belt squeal as I know how that sounds like. The sound appears when driving only, at any speed. It can appear at 50-60km/h, or when slowing down at traffic light.

I have something very similar. It's sounds like metal rubbing metal alternating between high and low pitch and only when brakes are applied. Not that loud but audible. I got it checked many times and the workshop dismantled my brake pads but could not identify the problem. So far safe but sianz for a while till I was sure it is safe. Has been having this for over a year.

I have something very similar. It's sounds like metal rubbing metal alternating between high and low pitch and only when brakes are applied. Not that loud but audible. I got it checked many times and the workshop dismantled my brake pads but could not identify the problem. So far safe but sianz for a while till I was sure it is safe. Has been having this for over a year.

copper grease on the pads might do the trick

• Praise 2

copper grease on the BACK of the pads might do the trick

to be on the safe side, you never know some would really.......... :psychotic:

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Since we are on this, if anyone can help I very thankful.

My car changes gear between the 1900 to 2100 rpm range. Of late, whenever I accelerate to around that range, the engine will feel a bit rougher than at other rpm. Not serious until got bad/loud noise, but compared to the smoother feel at other rpm, it is a bit disturbing. Does it mean a particular part of the gearbox is almost end-of-llife? Gearbox up lorry?

Can give more details like what car model, how old, auto, etc?

My CVT Sylphy (only 6 months old) also very rough and not smooth at move off first gear, unlike when it moves on to the higher gears. But I think this is as designed and normal as many other drivers had feedback the same.

My car changes gear between the 1900 to 2100 rpm range. Of late, whenever I accelerate to around that range, the engine will feel a bit rougher than at other rpm. Not serious until got bad/loud noise, but compared to the smoother feel at other rpm, it is a bit disturbing. Does it mean a particular part of the gearbox is almost end-of-llife? Gearbox up lorry?

Twincharged

It sounds like my legs are being pulled while grease are being applied to brake pads.

Really?

to be on the safe side, you never know some would really.......... :psychotic:

Ok, heres another case, hood rattling.

2014 Nissan Sylphy.

Sometimes I heard a rattling coming from the front of my hood when car is idling, example stopped at traffic lights.

When I press the hood (CAREFUL, don't press too hard as it may cause dent-in) or try to shake it holding it with fingers, i noticed it is not fixed in position but can move a few millimetres quite loosely, causing some sound. This is with the hood locked. Hence, when car is idling, the vibration causes the hood to vibrate as it has some free space. When car is moving, the vibration is not as strong and there is no noise.

I searched internet and youtube. One recommendation is to adjust the position of the hood catch mechanism downwards so that when locked, the hood sits deeper and is tighter. You will need to loosen 3 nuts, shift the catch, then tighten the nuts. See photo below.

The nuts are very tight and I did not have the proper tools so I asked Tan Chong to help during servicing. However they don't want to adjust that mechanism. Instead, they adjust the 2 rubber knobs that the hood rest on when closed. See photo. These are 2 rubber knobs on the left and right of the edge of the engine bay area. You can turn the knob clockwise or anti clockwise to make it lower or higher. So we adjusted these 2 knobs higher and close the hood. Now the hood is much much tighter. It still can move a tiny bit if you press hard (CAREFUL) but it no longer rattles. The disadvantage of adjusting the knobs higher is that it might result in a slight gap when closed locked.

OVERVIEW SHOWING HOOD CATCH AND THE 2 ADJUSTABLE KNOBS

post-26187-0-31243100-1433289682_thumb.jpg

CLOSEUP OF HOOD CATCH, SHOWING 3 NUTS

post-26187-0-19804100-1433289959_thumb.jpg

CLOSEUP OF THE ADJUSTABLE KNOB

post-26187-0-33875400-1433290065_thumb.jpg

time to do a servicing

send to your mechanic for checking lo..

Turbocharged

is it normal for cars to have this cracking sound from the windscreen area?

I always get this short burst of cracking (sound like small stones hitting your windscreen) esp whenever I am driving into the hot sun.

could it be some metal expanding?

I would say its normal.

All materials (e.g. windscreen glass, hardened glue, metal frame) have different Coefficient of thermal expansion. They expand and contract non-uniformly when exposed to change in temperature. This causes mechanical stress at the material interfaces. The "cracking" sound is due to this stress. I have this noise at my IU unit area often. If it is really irritates you, you can try to locate the source of the sound. Example, if it is the IU unit, u could remove it and paste back, or adjust abit hoping to release the stressed conditions. Might work if lucky. For me I do nothing cos this type of noise is not dominant and I can live with it.

is it normal for cars to have this cracking sound from the windscreen area?

I always get this short burst of cracking (sound like small stones hitting your windscreen) esp whenever I am driving into the hot sun.

could it be some metal expanding?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am ok with the sound but every time I hear it I thot some stones have hit my windscreen.

I would say its normal.

All materials (e.g. windscreen glass, hardened glue, metal frame) have different Coefficient of thermal expansion. They expand and contract non-uniformly when exposed to change in temperature. This causes mechanical stress at the material interfaces. The "cracking" sound is due to this stress. I have this noise at my IU unit area often. If it is really irritates you, you can try to locate the source of the sound. Example, if it is the IU unit, u could remove it and paste back, or adjust abit hoping to release the stressed conditions. Might work if lucky. For me I do nothing cos this type of noise is not dominant and I can live with it.

I am ok with the sound but every time I hear it I thot some stones have hit my windscreen.

Rattle noises, hate it too. Even my new Mercedes has some rattling noises recently, in and out C&C for 2 weeks already, they can't solved. Not easy to hunt the source, as these noises are not very loud, only clearly heard at night. Decided to leave it, there are too many such tiny tiny rattle, there will be no end solving. 

Edited by Odyssey2011

Rattle noises, hate it too. Even my new Mercedes has some rattling noises recently, in and out C&C for 2 weeks already, they can't solved. Not easy to hunt the source, as these noises are not very loud, only clearly heard at night. Decided to leave it, there are too many such tiny tiny rattle, there will be no end solving. 

hey! i experience the same thing as u! a rattle that can only be heard at night or early morning. really drives me crazy..not sure where is the source.

↡ Advertisement