CPF Nomination

saw this recent, dated May 2015, letter from CPF with regards to grand-dad passing (which was more than 2 decades ago)..

it mentioned that it was just notified that xxx had passed and yyy as related is entitled to some funds and needs to fill up the attached form. (something like that as i only took a quick glance at mom's letter)

the absence of CPF nomination caused the held back of his CPF monies for more than 2 decades.. what horror!! :yuush:

QN: does anybody know if this is normal or should the normal process be faster? how much faster will the CPF nomination speed things up?

i should be going to do up my CPF nomination as well, but it seems like you can only submit the nomination in person..

will be grateful if others can share their experiences or stories that you may have hear from your friends.

TIA!

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
(edited)

saw this recent, dated May 2015, letter from CPF with regards to grand-dad passing (which was more than 2 decades ago)..

it mentioned that it was just notified that xxx had passed and yyy as related is entitled to some funds and needs to fill up the attached form. (something like that as i only took a quick glance at mom's letter)

the absence of CPF nomination caused the held back of his CPF monies for more than 2 decades.. what horror!! :yuush:

QN: does anybody know if this is normal or should the normal process be faster? how much faster will the CPF nomination speed things up?

i should be going to do up my CPF nomination as well, but it seems like you can only submit the nomination in person..

will be grateful if others can share their experiences or stories that you may have hear from your friends.

TIA!

I have no story to share but i just did up my nomination last week. What i know is if both the parents pass on and the cpf monies goes to their children below the age of 18 years old, the cpf monies will be transfer to a public trustee with a chargeable admin fee if no nomination done, but no admin charge if there is nomination.

https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/pto/en/deceased-cpf-estate-monies/information-for-next-of-kin-cpf-monies.html

Edited by Xers007

Managing CPF $$ is managing your $$. Go read the rules and game plans revolving around your CPF $$ and act on it. Please go make the nomination.

As as cash and other assets, shares properties etc.. Also got rules and game plans. Make sure you make provisions.. LPOA, Will etc..

Hassle to claim late grandma's CPF money
PUBLISHED NOV 30, 2015, 5:00 AM SGT

My grandmother died a year ago at the age of 93. However, until now, we are still facing difficulties in trying to claim her Central Provident Fund (CPF) money.

My grandmother had a will, but the CPF Board said that it does not accept wills as CPF is not considered part of the deceased's estate.

We therefore had to prove our relationship to my grandmother. My grandparents did not have a marriage certificate so we submitted a grant of probate, dated 1978, to prove their relationship instead.

But the CPF Board said this was not valid.

Initially, we were informed verbally that we could at least claim for the funeral expenses. This was later retracted.

After many hurdles, we decided to let my grandmother's brother claim the CPF money.

But the CPF Board asked for his birth certificate. He is more than 90 years old. His generation went through World War II. How can the CPF Board expect a birth certificate to be produced?

Why can't the board be more flexible in cases like ours, especially if there is no dispute to the claim?

Chan Jee May (Ms)

CPF monies not covered by a will
PUBLISHED 5 HOURS AGO

Under the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Act, CPF monies do not form part of a deceased member's estate and are not covered by a will ("Hassle to claim late grandma's CPF money" by Ms Chan Jee May; Nov 30).

CPF members who wish to specify who will receive their CPF monies, and how much each nominee should receive upon their demise, can make a CPF nomination.

Where CPF members have not made a nomination, their CPF monies will be passed to the public trustee for distribution under the intestacy/ inheritance laws of Singapore.

As Ms Chan's grandmother had not made a nomination for her CPF monies, the CPF Board forwarded the monies to the Public Trustee's Office (PTO), which serves as the administrator of un-nominated CPF monies.

The PTO is required to verify that a claimant is recognised as a beneficiary under the law, in order to distribute un-nominated CPF monies.

As part of the verification process, the claimant is required to provide supporting documentation, such as birth and marriage certificates.

In this specific case, as the required documents are not available, the claimant was advised to arrange for her grandmother's brother to make a statutory declaration on the relationship.

This can be done either with a lawyer or at the PTO's premises.

Once the statutory declaration has been made, the PTO will then assess the claim, based on the information provided in the statutory declaration.

The CPF Board and PTO have contacted Ms Chan to clarify the process and will provide the necessary assistance to resolve the matter.

Praveen Randhawa (Ms)
Director
Corporate Communications Ministry of Law

Irene Kang (Ms)
Group Director of Communications
Central Provident Fund Board

No lah, go through proper procedure can get la.

Sometimes people kpkb cos they dun wan to incur the additional costs required to do it properly.

News reporting also like half half. Maybe no news worthy stuff or maybe CPF wanna give people wake up call to do up a nomination and save their own admin work. Either way, ST news really flexible. Report half also can have a reason behind.......... Yet people say they suck.......

IMHO only.

No lah, go through proper procedure can get la.

Sometimes people kpkb cos they dun wan to incur the additional costs required to do it properly.

News reporting also like half half. Maybe no news worthy stuff or maybe CPF wanna give people wake up call to do up a nomination and save their own admin work. Either way, ST news really flexible. Report half also can have a reason behind.......... Yet people say they suck.......

IMHO only.

who on earth want to incur more cost to get back less?

extra $7k for 2016 budget ... lol

No leh. There was an update in ST today saying that this family gave up on getting the CPF because it would cost them more than the residual CPF (estimated at 7k) to get the money back.

So it does look like the govt gets to keep the money.

Edited by Wt_know

No leh. There was an update in ST today saying that this family gave up on getting the CPF because it would cost them more than the residual CPF (estimated at 7k) to get the money back.

So it does look like the govt gets to keep the money.

if the relationship is straight forward that necessary document is readily available, then there should not be any cost to satisfy the POA.  

if the relationship is too far distant and the necessary document cannot be provided, then who are these people who just drop by to claim they know the decease and seek to get the money? 

to be honest, even with straight forward relationship ... who keeping who birth certs ...

i don't have my brother birth certs too leh but i'm very close with my brother ... how?

ok ... tonight better ask my bro to give me a copy ... and i say ... just in case

sekali ... he scare i hire people to whack him ... lol

if the relationship is straight forward that necessary document is readily available, then there should not be any cost to satisfy the POA.  

if the relationship is too far distant and the necessary document cannot be provided, then who are these people who just drop by to claim they know the decease and seek to get the money? 

Edited by Wt_know

i thought people all saying property so expensive....after buying a home cpf is 0 even at retirement age

no need to be so concerned about getting nothing back lah

-_-

• Praise 2

wonder how many other cases are there where CPF did not pay out due to technicality.  what CPF do with these unpaid amount?

• Praise 1

Recently, the CPF e service website is damn slow and sometime even down.....are we in 1st world country? 

Have you even logged in recently?

Half the data is not even accessible (they have removed the links entirely).

wonder how many other cases are there where CPF did not pay out due to technicality.  what CPF do with these unpaid amount?

Belongs to govt.

• Praise 3

Recently, the CPF e service website is damn slow and sometime even down.....are we in 1st world country? 

yeah man, . . . . tried logging in the whole of Monday and unable to . . . whole day you know! [grin]

• Praise 3

yeah man, . . . . tried logging in the whole of Monday and unable to . . . whole day you know! [grin]

Though they have maintenance until 6 dec???

who on earth want to incur more cost to get back less?

extra $7k for 2016 budget ... lol

They only need to get a lawyer to certify the statement. Don't think need more the. 1k bah.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1