Beware of scammers

Yewheng

(edited)

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/resurgence-of-phishing-scams-targeting-dbs-bank-customers-via-sms-police?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=STFB&utm_source=Facebook#

Really hope police, telco and ISP could come out with solution fast to block spoofing numbers, fake Internet address and also scammers sending out phishing sms.

It's getting out of hand, the news on scammers hit people keep appearing in the news. Haiz

post-14834-0-14419200-1548199733_thumb.jpg

Another one..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/scammers-dupe-victims-into-buying-software-for-fake-virus-11151612

Edited by Yewheng

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/resurgence-of-phishing-scams-targeting-dbs-bank-customers-via-sms-police?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=STFB&utm_source=Facebook#

Really hope police, telco and ISP could come out with solution fast to block spoofing numbers, fake Internet address and also scammers sending out phishing sms.

It's getting out of hand, the news on scammers hit people keep appearing in the news. Haiz

Screenshot_20190123_072830_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Another one..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/scammers-dupe-victims-into-buying-software-for-fake-virus-11151612

I once kenna. I got a message that I was enrolled in a plan (it was those apps that came in through a sms message). If you reject, please click here to unsubscribe.

I clicked to unsubscribe and the message came on the phone "thank you for subscribing"

I made a hoo Haa with telco company and they keep saying I clicked to subscribe to it. Lucky it got reversed.

That is why I am cautious with any opt out scheme. Imagine if cpf does this. Please click here if you want cpf to be withdrawn at 65. If you don't, you will get your cpf at 70.

After clicking the button, the message says "thank you for choosing to collect your cpf at 70".

Maybe I over imagine but after it happen once I am cautious on this opt out schemes and I prefer to do things via letters as opposed to electronic.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

another real life encounter ...

my foreigner staff received a call from his mother last Saturday that his father required some urgent operations for his eyes and needed about $2k.

upon hearing this, he anticipated that after discharge and follow-up, might add up to $3k.

but he did not have the money ....then he remembered seeing fast loans on his FB and then he contacted the "company" called "Empire"

the guy who answered, asked for my staff's particulars and the "loan" was approved almost immediately.

then the problems came : he had to transfer the interests of $300 to the "company" first.

next he was asked to transfer a security deposit of $390.

after that they told him got to transfer yet another $700 for some other issue but my staff already no money so he told the company so and the guy told him to speak the manager. the manager said no problem and then told him to just transfer another $380 will do. so my staff went to borrow from his room mate and asked the room mate to transfer the money to the company again.

after transferring, my staff contacted the first guy again who demanded the $700 again and told him the $380 my staff transferred to the "manager" is not sufficient and he only had another 10mins to do it or else the loan will be cancelled. so my staff asked another for the help with the balance an then made the transfer again.

then the final straw came when yet again the company asked for another transfer for something again and then my staff told the company that he already transferred about $1.5k to them already but yet to receive his loan and the company threatened him saying he is wasting their time and trying to be funny.

so my staff felt not right and told them he wanted to cancel the loan and the company told him there is a cancellation fee of $300 !!

my staff just told them he got no more money and the company sent him warning messages and pics threatening him harm but my staff just ignored the message and blocked the number.

however, the company was so brazen that they actually called up my office in yesterday morning to look for my staff !!

that's when my staff finally opened up and told us what happened.

subsequently, i brought him to the police station to lodge a report.

* i may have remembered the smaller figures wrongly, but total he had transferred $1.5k to the scammers.

** knn ... spent 2.5 hours at the police station making the report some more ...

Update.... Half a year already and still no news... Police still investigating this billion dollar cheating case.

Elderly woman jailed for cheating church friends, cancer patient of about S$1 million

The court heard that Ng, a bankrupt with previous forgery and theft convictions, tricked her victims into handing over their money between 2011 and 2015 by asking them to invest in construction and government projects in Myanmar, Australia and Thailand that did not exist.

Her biggest victim, Ms Alice Chua, whom she had met at St Joseph's Church, handed over sums ranging between S$10,000 and S$75,000 for multiple investments, in the hope of making enough profit to purchase a property. 

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/elderly-woman-jailed-cheating-church-friends-cancer-patient-mil-11183478

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/new-scam-alert-caller-pretends-be-your-bank-asks-otp-authenticate-account

Take note, scammers now also spoof Bank contact number and then called the innocent victim to ask them to reveal OTP to authenticate account.

Please do not get scammed when received this type of call. Hang up the call immediately and call back the bank to check to ensure if it is the real caller from bank or not.

Just received a call claiming from national heart foundation..

1st thank me for donating 10 dollars in last Yr August which I have no recallation of I did that.

Then after that ask me to donate 20 dollars to help those in need for the money for operation.

I sense something is not right and quickly hang up call.. These scammers, pattern really batminton.

So people do take note on this kind of scam.. National heart foundation will call people to ask for donation meh?

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

post-14834-0-64098900-1551409936_thumb.jpgpost-14834-0-71247300-1551409928_thumb.jpg

When received sms from bank and the message is to ask you to click on the link to confirm device, to activate account, or we are blocking your account.. Be very careful.. Call the bank to confirm is it legitimate 1st before doing anything..

See this scammer go one level up till even can fake bank number and sent out sms to bank users. So once the user clicked the link, that's it.. Money is gone..

So well, be very aware of all these scam..

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Screenshot_20190301_080205_com.facebook.katana.jpg Screenshot_20190301_080213_com.facebook.katana.jpg

When received sms from bank and the message is to ask you to click on the link to confirm device, to activate account, or we are blocking your account.. Be very careful.. Call the bank to confirm is it legitimate 1st before doing anything..

See this scammer go one level up till even can fake bank number and sent out sms to bank users. So once the user clicked the link, that's it.. Money is gone..

So well, be very aware of all these scam..

I wonder two things.

Can the banking app be hacked? Meaning let's say I am a hacker. I hack into your account. I make a purchase. The OTP goes to your registered phone number but because i hacked the account, the OTP goes to my phone also. So you receive an OTP not knowing what happened while I happily make the purchase.

Second

Let's say I hack into your account. Change your password and registered phone number. So I have effectively locked you out of your own account. Yes you can check and call the bank to disable it once you find out. Problem is if you don't check your Internet banking frequently, I could have cleared everything from your bank before you find out.

Wondering if these scenarios are possible.

Edited by Philipkee

Twincharged
(edited)

I wonder two things.

Can the banking app be hacked? Meaning let's say I am a hacker. I hack into your account. I make a purchase. The OTP goes to your registered phone number but because i hacked the account, the OTP goes to my phone also. So you receive an OTP not knowing what happened while I happily make the purchase.

Second

Let's say I hack into your account. Change your password and registered phone number. So I have effectively locked you out of your own account. Yes you can check and call the bank to disable it once you find out. Problem is if you don't check your Internet banking frequently, I could have cleared everything from your bank before you find out.

I think can be done, anything with technology sure can be hacked.

So I think the best we could do is that to call bank/ login ibanking to change settings to send sms and or email if there is more then $0 transaction taking place. When received such sms and or email that we did not make any transaction, can call bank immediately to prevent further more unauthorise transaction from taking place lor.

Edited by Yewheng

Twincharged

See scammers tactics is getting more and more sophisticated..

Watch for this YouTube above for one of the latest scam..

I wonder two things.

Second

imagine u got a spyware from dont-know-where.....then when u login in to bank apps, info and pw is stole....

we are farked !

Twincharged

imagine u got a spyware from dont-know-where.....then when u login in to bank apps, info and pw is stole....

we are farked !

There is still last line of defence.. Which is the dongle or using the app to approve or reject the transaction.. If that line of defence is also compromise, then it will be very serious..

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I feel having dongle is safer.. but some banks are slowly phasing out the dongles..

↡ Advertisement