Beware of scammers

Yewheng

So he actually cloned the card ; 

Very unsuspecting method indeed .... what people can really think of nowadays

thats why always link your CC to yor mobile phone even if the transaction is $1/- a little irritating but really worth the damage 

Dont know if they have images of the person at the ATM machines but all this will take time and most likely he would have worn a mask or cap to hide  

• Praise 2

Twincharged

i thought there is a 2 layer pin via sms? how they let a $5K transaction go through?

Withdraw money only need to insert ATM card and key in correct pin.

I guess is that the guy who take out credit card and swipe the card reader machine and then key in verification code ( maybe is asked to key in pin number for verification ).

So the card number is recorded due to it is swiped though the card reader and the pin number is also recorded due to he key in pin number for verification. 

So now just need to clone the card and then go any atm and insert the clone card and key in pin number and vola.

So dont get tricked by this and never to use the swipe method to make payment. Now all is using chip based and not magnetic stripe..

i thought there is a 2 layer pin via sms? how they let a $5K transaction go through?

it was multiple transactions over the weekend.

still, some banks do auto-send an sms whenever a credit card transaction is effected. 

Withdraw money only need to insert ATM card and key in correct pin.

I guess is that the guy who take out credit card and swipe the card reader machine and then key in verification code ( maybe is asked to key in pin number for verification ).

So the card number is recorded due to it is swiped though the card reader and the pin number is also recorded due to he key in pin number for verification. 

So now just need to clone the card and then go any atm and insert the clone card and key in pin number and vola.

So dont get tricked by this and never to use the swipe method to make payment. Now all is using chip based and not magnetic stripe..

could the husband's credit card actually be a debit card ? so once got the pin can just use like an ATM card for cash and credit card for transactions ?

Twincharged

could the husband's credit card actually be a debit card ? so once got the pin can just use like an ATM card for cash and credit card for transactions ?

Yup. just like my POSB everyday card.. I linked it to be able to withdraw money just like normal ATM card.

Yup. just like my POSB everyday card.. I linked it to be able to withdraw money just like normal ATM card.

thanks for posting for awareness.

this scamming pattern is something new to me.

Twincharged

thanks for posting for awareness.

this scamming pattern is something new to me.

Yup, that's what this topic is for, to spread awareness so that people would not get scammed by the same method that is posted here.

In anyway, be it local or overseas and if payment still need to go by swiping magnetic stripe, please quickly walk away and if already swiped, quickly call bank to cancel the credit card. Now all using chip and tap to pay, so if any stores or delivery still use magnetic stripe for payment = super high Chance is using it to read the card information. In fact could be close to 100% chance it is the case now.

post-131345-0-61530500-1555491485_thumb.jpg

Beware...kana scammed before

Previously had lots of coins so thought change with him

1 day after collecting the coins, the guy text back and said about 20 dollars short.

Didn't bother with the small change so just pass him the money

Kindly beware of this guy

If got excess coins, just go to bank and deposit

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 4

Screenshot_20190417-165637_WhatsApp.jpg

1 day after collecting the coins, the guy text back and said about 20 dollars short.

Wonder who would respond in the 1st place , coins ..... I just use the whole lot at NTUC supermarket machine or Prime also has too , usually mostly all the 5 cent ones
  • Praise 2

Screenshot_20190417-165637_WhatsApp.jpg

Wa...just got exact same msg 5 mins ago. Dunno who. Will not entertain. Besides, many places happy to accept coins, just not a mountain of it
  • Praise 3

Wa...just got exact same msg 5 mins ago. Dunno who. Will not entertain. Besides, many places happy to accept coins, just not a mountain of it

• Praise 2

Wonder who would respond in the 1st place , coins ..... I just use the whole lot at NTUC supermarket machine or Prime also has too , usually mostly all the 5 cent ones

Haha. 

Last time i take all the 1c and 5c coins to buy stamps!

About 25 scammed into getting loans when buying phones online

A scam that tricks people into taking out loans when buying a mobile phone on e-commerce platforms has ensnared about 25 people since November.

In some cases, victims were duped into providing their personal information, such as NRIC number, or SingPass or bank account details, on the pretext of applying for an instalment plan package for their phone purchase, said the police yesterday.

They later found a sum deposited into their bank account, with the scammers demanding that they pay the "loan amount" back with interest.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/about-25-scammed-into-getting-loans-when-buying-phones-online

• Praise 3