Beware of scammers

Yewheng

(edited)

Received this SMS, believed to be a scam. Has anyone received similar SMSes?

It is a scam. Site is under <SGPOSTEN.ONLINE>, site design looks kinda legit and may scam those not so tech-savvy folks. Dodgy site addresses is always a dead giveaway.

Edited by Holdenutessv
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)

Received this SMS, believed to be a scam. Has anyone received similar SMSes?

i simply ignore any messages without proper information or identification that tells me to click it.

Just received a call from 98801411

I answered it, got background music, something like DHL

then a chinese lady voice came on.

Yeah...yeah..yeah..I know. Click.

i'll simply hang up once i hear voice recordings or bots talking.

but best is i 99% of the time i will not pick up a number i don't know.

Edited by Ysc3

Fake Lazada campaign on Instagram cheats victims of at least $14,000
PUBLISHED 5 HOURS AGO UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO
Timothy Goh

SINGAPORE - The police issued a warning on Tuesday (May 14) about a series of scams involving fake Lazada campaigns taking place on Instagram.

At least 14 such scams have been reported since January this year, with victims being cheated of at least $14,000.

Scammers would pretend to be friends or followers of the victims on Instagram, and would message victims claiming they would help them sign up for a Lazada campaign to win money.

However, the campaigns, which scammers often named "Lazada Campaign", "Lazada Raffle", "Lazada Gift Money" and "Lazada Lucky Draw", were actually fakes.

The scammers would ask victims for their contact numbers and photos of their credit or debit cards, as well as the one-time passwords of their bank accounts.

The victims eventually realised they had been cheated after discovering unauthorised card transactions on their accounts.

A Lazada spokesman said on Wednesday that customer safety is the company's top priority, and emphasised that Lazada is in no way associated with the scams.

All of Lazada's campaigns and contests are held only on its website, app, and official social media accounts, he added. 

He said: "We would like to remind customers to only conduct transactions on our platforms; never via third-party channels."

The police advised the public to be wary of claims that they have won a prize, especially if they have not participated in any campaign or lucky draw.

They should beware of unusual requests from strangers, as well as from contacts on social media, the warning said.

Members of the public should always verify such requests by contacting their friends using a method other than the social media platform they received the request on, as their friend's account may have been taken over by scammers.

Finally, individuals should not transfer money or give out personal information or credit and debit card and bank account details to strangers.

Those who wish to provide information on such scams can call the police hotline on 1800-255-0000, or submit it online at www.police.gov.sg/iwitness.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Phone no 1411.

That's must die one.

:D

Supersonic

Since now is a online world, online shopping and delivery, scammers are attracted to this new technology.

So beware everyone.

the biggest problem is apple using dhl

then I got the call from dhl just hang up

so dhl call again

ask me why I hang up

I said scam call is dhl delivery

finally I remember that am expecting a delivery from them  :a-confused:

• Praise 3

Woman gets 14 years' jail for 'unprecedented' ponzi scheme involving S$35 million

The investments were supposedly for the purchase of distressed properties or properties whose owners are in default on the mortgage, which she claimed she would sell for profit.

Another lie she told the investors was that she would use the funds for a scheme to fund start-ups that would purportedly reap lucrative monthly returns.

In this way, she took sums ranging from S$150,000 and S$800,000 from the victims between 2010 and 2015.

She did not carry out any of the investments she had promised, but instead took money from other victims to give to previous victims as "returns".

The undischarged bankrupt also used the money for her own expenses such as mortgage loan repayments, car loan repayments, bills and family expenses.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/woman-gets-14-years-jail-for-unprecedented-ponzi-scheme-11542700

• Praise 2

Jail for director over scheme in which investors lost $700k

A Singaporean director of two companies ran a fly-by-night operation in which 29 people invested more than $1 million to buy properties in the United States.

Doris Tan Stephenson, who used to be known as Clara Tan Lisin, made the investment decisions alone and there was no indication of whether she met the minimum competency requirements, a district court heard yesterday.

The investors later lost more than $700,000, said Deputy Public Prosecutor Magdalene Huang.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/jail-for-director-over-scheme-in-which-investors-lost-700k

Twincharged

A Taiwanese man working in Singapore went on a date with a woman whom he got to know online -- and ended up feeling 'ripped off' after paying $263 for her glass of wine.

Xie Jiayou, 25, told Shin Min Daily News that he had been using WeChat last Friday (June 7) when a woman with the alias 'Invisible Wings' befriended him. The two then started chatting.

The woman first made small talk by asking questions such as, 'Have you had lunch?' and 'How's work?' before mentioning that she was feeling down from a breakup.

Xie tried to console her and the woman replied: "I have no friends since I just came to Singapore. Actually I planned to sit down for a drink and chat today, but have no one to accompany me."

As such, the pair agreed to meet at a shopping centre along Selegie Road at 7pm that night.

Xie recounted: "We had dinner at McDonald's and she suggested going for drinks at a bar on the same floor.

"She ordered something after looking at the menu. Not long later, the service staff asked me to settle the bill first. Who knows it came up to $263!"

According to Xie, the woman ordered a glass of red wine, though it did not taste of alcohol at all.

She also asked if he would like a glass, but he said that he had something on and quickly left.

Xie said he did an Internet search after the incident and learnt about a popular scam in China, where bars would get its staff to chat people up online.

Under the guise of friendship, the staff would apparently then lure people into consuming expensive drinks at the bars.

Xie felt that this sounded similar to his own experience and hopes that other people wil not fall prey to similar encounters.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1