Beware of scammers

Yewheng

Think this situation sxcks, and there really isn't much anyone can do about it once they have it listed in their terms and conditions... they might be dubious, but technically I think they're not considered "scamming" (think "Nigerian Prince", now that's scamming)...

To make things worse most websites has this little check box which you are required to click and tick (or perform some other action) to say you agree with all their terms and conditions before you can proceed... a lot of people just click out of blind faith or trust without even reading a word of what they're agreeing to and hence granting these websites the authority to do as they please (as long as they state it in their t&c)... a lot of these websites will just sell your particulars to some unknown third, fourth or fifth party, others will get the right to install some shxt on your computer without needing to ask for permission...

So... read (or at least browse through) before you click that tick...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

One of my friend had been scammed when she went to http://www.streetdeal.sg/ to make a purchase. Which have terms and conditions that they would charge a renewal premium of SGD88 once she make the purchase of the item.

She just want to buy a water bottle that cost SGD $18 bucks and was shocked to received a charge of SGD $88 bucks for membership in additional of SGD $18 bucks.

Below is the screenshots of the scam

attachicon.gifAutomatic renewal.jpg

attachicon.gifCharged SGD88.jpg

Its stated in the terms and conditions. However she did not read the terms and conditions as per her normal online purchase which so far no problem at all until this case surface.

I did an online search and found out many others was also tricked to make purchase for membership without their knowing as they also did not read the terms and conditions.

attachicon.gifScammed 1.jpg

attachicon.gifScammed 2.jpg

And want to cancel subscription have to contact them directly. Cannot cancel online. Worst still because the amount had been charged bank can't do anything.

attachicon.gifCannot cancel.jpg

Further search online reveal more details on the company.

attachicon.gifCompany 1.jpg

attachicon.gifCompany 2.jpg

so please beware of

http://www.streetdeal.sg/ and http://www.olaprice.com/ .

Summary, it already scammed more than 200 people.

http://blackilocks.hubpages.com/hub/Streetdeal-Scams-More-Than-200-People

Lesson learnt, if making any purchase online, better read the terms and conditions carefully before proceed with the payment.

Your friend just purchased the goods but did not agree to join the membership. Whether there is term and condition or not is not relevant. If the goods can only be purchased by member, then a person must first join as a member before can buy. By letting your friend buy and then charge a membership is not valid in law. Your friend should tell the Bank Credit company that she never join the membership and asked the bank to reverse the charge. Do not let the scam go away earning the money. The Credit card company must reverse the charge and if not, ask your friend write to MAS to complain.

• Praise 3

Out of stock still not so bad as compared to being charged membership fees without realizing it.

So are you charged with membership fee?

I mean out of stock sometimes maybe due to poor planning and oversight and delay in informing customer I still can close one eye and think nevermind. But if out to deceive people then this one cannot close one eye or even both eyes also cannot close.

Kana charge the stupid membership is the must go through process for this site. Just call them and f them left right centre to get the refund back. Been there done that. Ha ha.

My out of stock is for some time already and no one update us buyer. Damn it.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Your friend just purchased the goods but did not agree to join the membership. Whether there is term and condition or not is not relevant. If the goods can only be purchased by member, then a person must first join as a member before can buy. By letting your friend buy and then charge a membership is not valid in law. Your friend should tell the Bank Credit company that she never join the membership and asked the bank to reverse the charge. Do not let the scam go away earning the money. The Credit card company must reverse the charge and if not, ask your friend write to MAS to complain.

Reminds me of Reader Digest I encountered some years ago.

Joined their so called lucky draw, then out of nowhere they sent a huge book, then slap me a bill of $80.

Called then realized that lucky draw also meant agreeing to buy that damned book.

Scolded the cso and told them to come and take it back, since I didn't want to buy and certainly don't want to waste my time returning it to their partner, Singpost.

Few years now after a few of their threatening letters, the book is still not collected, and no further mail from them.

Too many scams nowadays.

But perhaps buyer should be aware and READ THE T&C !

As with all things, there is no free lunch, if the offer is too good to be true...it usually is.

But $18 for water bottle don't sound cheap to me...

• Praise 2

Joined their so called lucky draw, then out of nowhere they sent a huge book, then slap me a bill of $80.

Called then realized that lucky draw also meant agreeing to buy that damned book.

Scolded the cso and told them to come and take it back, since I didn't want to buy and certainly don't want to waste my time returning it to their partner, Singpost.

Few years now after a few of their threatening letters, the book is still not collected, and no further mail from them.

But $18 for water bottle don't sound cheap to me...

Yes, me too. Ordered the first book and they sent another book one month later. They said is auto-subscription. I called them and said I did not agree and told them to cancel. They cancelled and also same, did not come and collect the book back.

• Praise 2

hahaha... Reader's Digest... according to them (on every letter they've ever sent me) I've already won, wonder how's that different from the other letters I've received telling me I've won some multi-million-dollar lottery in the UK or US and just need to send some money to claim my winnings.

Funny thing is, they've been around since my parent's days (and possibly even earlier) and still around today, selling books through mail in this internet age when so many bricks-and-mortar bookstores have closed down, gotta have a trick or two up their sleeves just to manage that.

• Praise 2

hahaha... Reader's Digest... according to them (on every letter they've ever sent me) I've already won, wonder how's that different from the other letters I've received telling me I've won some multi-million-dollar lottery in the UK or US and just need to send some money to claim my winnings.

Funny thing is, they've been around since my parent's days (and possibly even earlier) and still around today, selling books through mail in this internet age when so many bricks-and-mortar bookstores have closed down, gotta have a trick or two up their sleeves just to manage that.

yes agreed and everytime they sent with a key to a choice of my car too- intially i feel for its so called respond and subscribe but they were kind enough to cancel the subscription and i still continued to recieve a few of the magazines until almost after nearly 6 months finally it stopped

• Praise 3

Supersonic
(edited)

Anyway, it's good to hear about this streetdeal.sg website.

....and stay away.

Doing business with a membership thingy, often does not go well.

The sellers attempt to lock in buyers.

And as buyers, if you're locked in, you don't have much choice.

Personally, I'd rather take my chance with aliexpress.

So far, I've not been "scammed"

And of cuz, buying from Amazon is practically risk-free.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 2

(edited)
Singapore got Talent.
Scam victims from China who allegedly lost $1.6 billion look for clues in Singapore
PUBLISHED ON JUN 20, 2015 12:02 PM
7469 156 0 0PRINTEMAIL
scam200615e.jpg
The seven investors from China turned up at the flat of one of the alleged scammers, holding messages reading "Return our hard-earned money". -- ST PHOTO: LAU FOOK KONG

BY AW CHENG WEI AND TOH TING WEI

Ripples from a scam that has allegedly cost Chinese investors US$1.2 billion (S$1.6 billion) touched Singapore's shores yesterday.

A group of angry investors from China showed up at a flat in Sengkang yesterday afternoon to demand their money back from a Singaporean employee of the company that allegedly caused thousands of investors to get their fingers burnt.

The seven, who had flown in from Beijing on Sunday, knocked repeatedly on the door of a Singaporean's flat for two hours to no avail.

He purportedly worked for API Premiere Swiss Trust AG - a finance firm that has reportedly cost almost 30,000 investors from China US$1.2 billion of their savings.

In the five days here, the investors have engaged lawyer Chung Ting Fai and lodged a police report with the Commercial Affairs Department.

They left a note written in Chinese on the man's door. It read: "Return our hard-earned money."

Street protests were held in Beijing and Hong Kong earlier this year when investors realised they might have been duped.

In January, API sent out a message informing investors that its servers had been hacked.

Investors could not access their accounts and were told that their money was gone.

Mr Zhao Guangcai, the group's leader, said in Mandarin: "We went to Switzerland and found out that the company was a shell."

The police had sealed doors to its so-called headquarters.

The group in Singapore said they had invested through another Singaporean, who visited China and held seminars in Beijing.

Some investors were also invited to all-expenses-paid trips to Switzerland - where they met with traders - and Dubai.

They saw forex trading rooms, where traders worked and made deals online.

Most investors had started by investing about US$10,000 and could withdraw their money any time they wanted. They got back their principle sum - with 8 per cent interest - within a week.

Over time, they began to pump in more money. Mr Zhao and Ms Miao Lihua, 33, who owns a fashion company, put in more than US$1 million each.

Now, they want their money back.

The group, due to return to China yesterday, extended their stay after realising that one of the company's employees was in Singapore.

So far, they have spent about $10,000 each, flying around the world to look for leads.

They plan to stick around the Singaporean's registered address to demand an explanation from the employee.

Mr Zhao, 58, said: "He is the closest clue we have to getting our money back. We are not giving up so easily."

According to Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao, the Singaporean said he was also a victim and that the company owed him $30,000 in wages.

He blamed the other Singaporean, whose registered flat in Mei Ling Street is empty, for roping him into the business.

"I have been looking for him since the start of the year, but I can't find him. I don't want to talk about this incident any more. I just want the situation to be over," he said.

[email protected]

[email protected]

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/scam-victims-china-who-allegedly-lost-16-billion-look-cl#xtor=CS1-10

Edited by Bacteria83
  • Praise 2

Singapore got Talent.

Scam victims from China who allegedly lost $1.6 billion look for clues in Singapore

PUBLISHED ON JUN 20, 2015 12:02 PM

7469 156 0 0PRINTEMAIL

scam200615e.jpg

The seven investors from China turned up at the flat of one of the alleged scammers, holding messages reading "Return our hard-earned money". -- ST PHOTO: LAU FOOK KONG

BY AW CHENG WEI AND TOH TING WEI

Ripples from a scam that has allegedly cost Chinese investors US$1.2 billion (S$1.6 billion) touched Singapore's shores yesterday.

A group of angry investors from China showed up at a flat in Sengkang yesterday afternoon to demand their money back from a Singaporean employee of the company that allegedly caused thousands of investors to get their fingers burnt.

The seven, who had flown in from Beijing on Sunday, knocked repeatedly on the door of a Singaporean's flat for two hours to no avail.

He purportedly worked for API Premiere Swiss Trust AG - a finance firm that has reportedly cost almost 30,000 investors from China US$1.2 billion of their savings.

In the five days here, the investors have engaged lawyer Chung Ting Fai and lodged a police report with the Commercial Affairs Department.

They left a note written in Chinese on the man's door. It read: "Return our hard-earned money."

Street protests were held in Beijing and Hong Kong earlier this year when investors realised they might have been duped.

In January, API sent out a message informing investors that its servers had been hacked.

Investors could not access their accounts and were told that their money was gone.

Mr Zhao Guangcai, the group's leader, said in Mandarin: "We went to Switzerland and found out that the company was a shell."

The police had sealed doors to its so-called headquarters.

The group in Singapore said they had invested through another Singaporean, who visited China and held seminars in Beijing.

Some investors were also invited to all-expenses-paid trips to Switzerland - where they met with traders - and Dubai.

They saw forex trading rooms, where traders worked and made deals online.

Most investors had started by investing about US$10,000 and could withdraw their money any time they wanted. They got back their principle sum - with 8 per cent interest - within a week.

Over time, they began to pump in more money. Mr Zhao and Ms Miao Lihua, 33, who owns a fashion company, put in more than US$1 million each.

Now, they want their money back.

The group, due to return to China yesterday, extended their stay after realising that one of the company's employees was in Singapore.

So far, they have spent about $10,000 each, flying around the world to look for leads.

They plan to stick around the Singaporean's registered address to demand an explanation from the employee.

Mr Zhao, 58, said: "He is the closest clue we have to getting our money back. We are not giving up so easily."

According to Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao, the Singaporean said he was also a victim and that the company owed him $30,000 in wages.

He blamed the other Singaporean, whose registered flat in Mei Ling Street is empty, for roping him into the business.

"I have been looking for him since the start of the year, but I can't find him. I don't want to talk about this incident any more. I just want the situation to be over," he said.

[email protected]

[email protected]- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/scam-victims-china-who-allegedly-lost-16-billion-look-cl#xtor=CS1-10

Greed ah greed

• Praise 1

Seen quite a lot of these wechat scams popping up around... Profile pic are usually taiwan/prc-looking xmm. Long thread over at hwz/sbf [laugh]

• Praise 3

Singapore got Talent.

about time we con them back, why they fly here for? expect a free stay and free lunch? [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 3

about time we con them back, why they fly here for? expect a free stay and free lunch? [laugh][laugh]

Opening con shop con air con food con school con love con house now!!!!

• Praise 2

Seen quite a lot of these wechat scams popping up around... Profile pic are usually taiwan/prc-looking xmm. Long thread over at hwz/sbf [laugh]

must be my location, I hardly ever see such sexy gals ard me [:|]

• Praise 2