2015 Mazda 2

enthucarowner

Hi all! Seeing as it has been a few months since the brand new Mazda 2 has been launched in Singapore and many have been collecting their new cars recently, those who have been driving for awhile or brand new owners can check in here! Feel free to share experiences driving or any upgrades you might be interested in doing or have already done, i'm pretty sure we'll see many new Mazda 2s zoom-zooming around Singapore soon! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Hi all! Seeing as it has been a few months since the brand new Mazda 2 has been launched in Singapore and many have been collecting their new cars recently, those who have been driving for awhile or brand new owners can check in here! Feel free to share experiences driving or any upgrades you might be interested in doing or have already done, i'm pretty sure we'll see many new Mazda 2s zoom-zooming around Singapore soon! [laugh]

Hi!

Saw ur question on the other thread...are u considering getting a mazda 2? :)

Currently the FC I am getting is about 13.5 km/l .. Have gone for first 1k servicing around 2 wks back. Just exceeded the 2k mileage mark this weekend. My driving pattern is mainly city driving and some short distances on highway. I turn off I-stop usually. Thinking my FC will improve with I-stop turned on and further running in. Car is used by me and my dad.

The drive of this car is superb! Having changed from a vios (with coil overs and strut bars), this car feels much more solid and planted on the highways. As one of the other bros mentioned, the feel is quite continental.

The car will handle even better with a grippier set of tires. Mine is the standard model (not deluxe) so the factory tyres could be better. I've changed my rims to a set of lightweight japan rims a week ago but kept the factory tyres on them for now.

I considered and test drove a variety of cars before deciding on the mazda 2.

Suzuki swift sport

Pros: available in manual transmission, has sports seats and suspension, real driver's car

Cons: high insurance, falls into cat b marginally, might only be able to run on 98 octane (I think!), boot space virtually non existent

Mazda 3 hatchback

Pros: beautiful shape, sunroof, independent rear suspension

Cons: lack of power

Kia forte k3

Pros: keenly priced, spacious, sporty outlook, daytime led lights, rear air con vents

Cons: thirsty, power not that great too

Honda jazz 1.5

Pros: spacious, powerful vtec engine, well equipped, lots of accessories in the market

Cons: this was almost my choice but the deal breaker is the transformer / robot like design which is not appealing to me considering that I will have to look at the car everyday for the next 7-8 years at least!

Hope this aids you in your consideration :)

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

Mazda 2 is not a good buy because the price difference with a mainstream like Mazda 3 or Altis is too small. The proof is the virtually non existence of this car on the road.

• Praise 4

Mazda 2 is not a good buy because the price difference with a mainstream like Mazda 3 or Altis is too small. The proof is the virtually non existence of this car on the road.

Agree that the car could be cheaper, but this is also due largely to high Coe prices. Mazda 2 is the japan car of the year 2014-2015 and has generally received good reviews from motoring journalists.

There are not many compact hatchbacks with good power to weight ratio in the market today besides the mazda 2, Honda jazz and perhaps ford fiesta? Suzuki swift sport is totally priced out due to 130hp cap in cat a. It was selling like hot cakes when it was priced at 60k many years ago.

The jazz has arguably better space and performance and might be a better buy but the new design is not appealing to some.

• Praise 1

Pay about 30k to 40k more and you'll get an A-class! [:p]

Okay but honestly for that price range and category of cars, I honestly think Mazda2 is one of the best. Perhaps the only gripe that I have will be that I would have more faith in a Honda engine as compared to a Mazda engine. It's a pity that the aesthetics of the Jazz really might not be suitable for a lot of people.

• Praise 3

Okay but honestly for that price range and category of cars, I honestly think Mazda2 is one of the best. Perhaps the only gripe that I have will be that I would have more faith in a Honda engine as compared to a Mazda engine. It's a pity that the aesthetics of the Jazz really might not be suitable for a lot of people.

Don't you find it strange that for Jap cars, Mazda make aesthetically beautiful cars, Honda makes cars with great engines whilst Toyota makes reliable cars!

How come they can't combine to make an all rounder? [:p]

Too be fair the new skyactiv engine is significantly improved over past Mazda engines and is the reigning Japan car of the year.

Jazz is the Sgcarmart car of the year whilst Fiesta won the engine of the year award with their ecoboost 1litre. Seems like we do have a good range of small hatchbacks to choose from!

• Praise 6

Hi!

Saw ur question on the other thread...are u considering getting a mazda 2? :)

Currently the FC I am getting is about 13.5 km/l .. Have gone for first 1k servicing around 2 wks back. Just exceeded the 2k mileage mark this weekend. My driving pattern is mainly city driving and some short distances on highway. I turn off I-stop usually. Thinking my FC will improve with I-stop turned on and further running in. Car is used by me and my dad.

The drive of this car is superb! Having changed from a vios (with coil overs and strut bars), this car feels much more solid and planted on the highways. As one of the other bros mentioned, the feel is quite continental.

The car will handle even better with a grippier set of tires. Mine is the standard model (not deluxe) so the factory tyres could be better. I've changed my rims to a set of lightweight japan rims a week ago but kept the factory tyres on them for now.

I considered and test drove a variety of cars before deciding on the mazda 2.

Suzuki swift sport

Pros: available in manual transmission, has sports seats and suspension, real driver's car

Cons: high insurance, falls into cat b marginally, might only be able to run on 98 octane (I think!), boot space virtually non existent

Mazda 3 hatchback

Pros: beautiful shape, sunroof, independent rear suspension

Cons: lack of power

Kia forte k3

Pros: keenly priced, spacious, sporty outlook, daytime led lights, rear air con vents

Cons: thirsty, power not that great too

Honda jazz 1.5

Pros: spacious, powerful vtec engine, well equipped, lots of accessories in the market

Cons: this was almost my choice but the deal breaker is the transformer / robot like design which is not appealing to me considering that I will have to look at the car everyday for the next 7-8 years at least!

Hope this aids you in your consideration :)

Yes I am! Wow FC of 13.5km/L is not too bad for mainly city driving! I imagine that with more highway driving and I-stop it could be way better. Anyway I already test drove it and agree with you about the driving dynamics and the upmarket feel of the car. It definitely gives off a more expensive feel as compared to it's other competitors as those you listed. I would say it's closest rival would be the Ford Fiesta(in terms of overall packaging although build quality in Mazda 2 is much better).

What rims(size, style) did you change to? And what is the stock tyres provided by Mazda? I forgot to check when test driving haha.

As for the servicing, what is your deal? 3 years free servicing or 1k, 5k and 10k?

Oh and with regards to the other replies I would say the reason you see many more M3 on the road as compared to M2(almost non-existent) is because the M3 has been on the market much longer while M2 was only launched beginning of this year, give it some more time!

As for price, agree that the M2 could be priced cheaper and it's a bit close to the M3. However, not everyone's needs are the same. When I look at the M2 and M3 I see space as main differentiator between the two. The engine output is almost identical, (M3: 118bhp,150 NM VS M2: 114 bhp, 148 NM) and the design of both(I feel) is fantastic, however the M3 is nearly 300kg heavier. That roughly translates to carrying 3-4 extra people around. This will significantly affect real world FC especially in start-stop traffic like Singapore. If your daily drive involves ferrying a family around go for the M3, the space WILL be a real issue when your kids get bigger. However I will only have 1 other passenger most of the time as such the extra space is only a bonus.

When you purchase something you have to see the overall value and what is right for you. People tend to fall into the trap of 'why buy X when you can buy Y for not much more?' Agree, however, what if X is satisfies my needs better AND is cheaper than Y? I still spend less eventually and am happier for it. Cost VS Value is two different concepts. The reason we all see so many M3 on the road is because it presents great value for families with a fantastic design. Simple as that.

Anyway thanks Shawn 207 for the sharing!

• Praise 2

I have seen one.. Purple colour.. But there are more mazda 3 on the road because the price is not that big

maybe its mine?.. lol

really 30K only?.. which means 142K or so??.. C n C have ahh..

btw i really like the latest A class as well.. the lines i love.. i just prefer hatches..

Agree that the car could be cheaper, but this is also due largely to high Coe prices. Mazda 2 is the japan car of the year 2014-2015 and has generally received good reviews from motoring journalists.

There are not many compact hatchbacks with good power to weight ratio in the market today besides the mazda 2, Honda jazz and perhaps ford fiesta? Suzuki swift sport is totally priced out due to 130hp cap in cat a. It was selling like hot cakes when it was priced at 60k many years ago.

The jazz has arguably better space and performance and might be a better buy but the new design is not appealing to some.

thanks for sharing.. during this running in engine period..

slwoly driving the car and enjoying everything..

1st 300+km.. still got more than half tank left.. i really hope it can achieve 18km/l in real figures.. will save alot on the cost of fuel eventually..

• Praise 2

maybe its mine?.. lol

btw i really like the latest A class as well.. the lines i love.. i just prefer hatches..

1st 300+km.. still got more than half tank left.. i really hope it can achieve 18km/l in real figures.. will save alot on the cost of fuel eventually..

LOL try and bargain for a higher discount la! Their list price is $148,888 I think which was 2 weeks ago. Shouldn't have deviated much I guess.

Honestly 18km/l is very challenging to achieve even for 70% highway driving. It's like more or less Diesel engines equivalent liao :slow:

Turbocharged

LOL try and bargain for a higher discount la! Their list price is $148,888 I think which was 2 weeks ago. Shouldn't have deviated much I guess.

Honestly 18km/l is very challenging to achieve even for 70% highway driving. It's like more or less Diesel engines equivalent liao :slow:

But that one I think, is the Style model, don't even have bi-xenon...

• Praise 2

(edited)

2015 Jazz or Fit (PI) looks nicer and more powerful than Mazda 2

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Cannot buy more ex car than my boss leh..

Lol

Have to say to each their own..

The designs between the jazz, m2 are very radical..

Haven comparethe safety features and gadgets provided as well..

Have to disagree on this. It's the latest 2015 m2 so none on road previously...

Also due to cost, many people prefer bigger car capacity..

Depends on buyer wants n likes n budget ultimately..

Can friendly horn next time if you spot one. Lol..

Did get 1 from a new cx5 on road. Haha..

But that one I think, is the Style model, don't even have bi-xenon...

Didn't do a feature comparison with the Mazda 2 and A class, I guess it's all about image and badge buying mainly. [:p]

• Praise 1

Cannot buy more ex car than my boss leh..

Lol

LOL tell your boss now Merc, Volvo, BMW, Audi reaching out to the japanese car owners market liao. Launching Cat A cars and at competitive prices also, with the SEs at C&C preaching about "pay a bit more can own a conti car liao". This kind of pitching sure make people "gian" one la. [laugh]

But honestly bro, caring about what car your boss drives to me is not important la cos car is you own and is your own money too. Only you yourself is answerable to your own pocket and whether or not you can pay for a more expensive car. Boss don't buy car for you so don't really have to bother about what he/she thinks but more importantly whether you and your family like or not. [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

(edited)

Don't you find it strange that for Jap cars, Mazda make aesthetically beautiful cars, Honda makes cars with great engines whilst Toyota makes reliable cars!

How come they can't combine to make an all rounder? [:p]

Too be fair the new skyactiv engine is significantly improved over past Mazda engines and is the reigning Japan car of the year.

Jazz is the Sgcarmart car of the year whilst Fiesta won the engine of the year award with their ecoboost 1litre. Seems like we do have a good range of small hatchbacks to choose from!

Your wish may come true soon as there is a tie up between Toyota and Mazda.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-13/toyota-expands-tie-up-with-mazda-to-share-car-technology

Edited by Huge
  • Praise 1

Yes I am! Wow FC of 13.5km/L is not too bad for mainly city driving! I imagine that with more highway driving and I-stop it could be way better. Anyway I already test drove it and agree with you about the driving dynamics and the upmarket feel of the car. It definitely gives off a more expensive feel as compared to it's other competitors as those you listed. I would say it's closest rival would be the Ford Fiesta(in terms of overall packaging although build quality in Mazda 2 is much better).

What rims(size, style) did you change to? And what is the stock tyres provided by Mazda? I forgot to check when test driving haha.

As for the servicing, what is your deal? 3 years free servicing or 1k, 5k and 10k?

Oh and with regards to the other replies I would say the reason you see many more M3 on the road as compared to M2(almost non-existent) is because the M3 has been on the market much longer while M2 was only launched beginning of this year, give it some more time!

As for price, agree that the M2 could be priced cheaper and it's a bit close to the M3. However, not everyone's needs are the same. When I look at the M2 and M3 I see space as main differentiator between the two. The engine output is almost identical, (M3: 118bhp,150 NM VS M2: 114 bhp, 148 NM) and the design of both(I feel) is fantastic, however the M3 is nearly 300kg heavier. That roughly translates to carrying 3-4 extra people around. This will significantly affect real world FC especially in start-stop traffic like Singapore. If your daily drive involves ferrying a family around go for the M3, the space WILL be a real issue when your kids get bigger. However I will only have 1 other passenger most of the time as such the extra space is only a bonus.

When you purchase something you have to see the overall value and what is right for you. People tend to fall into the trap of 'why buy X when you can buy Y for not much more?' Agree, however, what if X is satisfies my needs better AND is cheaper than Y? I still spend less eventually and am happier for it. Cost VS Value is two different concepts. The reason we all see so many M3 on the road is because it presents great value for families with a fantastic design. Simple as that.

Anyway thanks Shawn 207 for the sharing!

Exactly! summed up my sentiments. i really really liked the mazda 3 but the 2.0 version is way out of my budget. most overseas motoring magazines have reviewed the 2.0 mazda 3 and its as good as the VW Golf and Ford Focus (in Europe). in fact there's even an option of the 2.5 engine in USA and Australia and a hybrid version in japan. if you look at the 1.5 mazda 3 the engine bay has a lot of extra space.

btw the mazda 2 and mazda 3 1.5 engine is the same, just different exhaust and manifold used on the 2 resulting in a deficit of 4 hp.

i've changed to a set of WedsSport TC105N 15 inch. light and rigid, and used on the japan super GT cars. the stock tyres for the standard model are dunlop enasave. the toyo proxes on the deluxe model should be much better.

i've started to see a couple of 2015 mazda 2s on the road. mainly SKT plate, seen white, red, silver and grey so far.

my servicing should be 3 years free servicing (though i think still have to pay for certain parts). i didnt elect for the 5 year servicing as mazda should be reliable.

you're welcome! enjoy the car shopping period and test drive more cars! you can also test drive the jazz as a comparison. :)

jazz 1.5 is indeed more powerful.... but running on CVT transmission, prefer the traditional torque converter gearbox.

the new GK-series jazz is an acquired taste but i must say it looks better with an aftermarket set of wheels and bodykit (google the spoon sports / mugen jazz)

maybe its mine?.. lol

hey bro you chose the smoky rose metallic? havent see one in that colour yet in singapore. mine is aluminium..

my one tank range is about 600km on the lcd display.

also like the A-class but can only admire from distance... the audi A3 sportback also very nice but the DQ200 gearbox reliability questionable.

↡ Advertisement