Recycled engine oil or fake?

youpapalite

Just to share my personal experience. I did oil change (Japanese fully synthetic engine oil) at reputable workshop (shall not mention name). Same, they supply oil from drums. The performance of the car suffers. My wife complains a lot and I changed out the oil around 2000km. After a few service I was at a small workshop and the mechanic recommends the same oil as reputable workshop but from bottle. I said this oil is quite bad. Mechanic say cannot be, many customers he has repeatedly use this. This is a mechanic that have earned my trust so I took his advice. The oil performed wonderfully. I do not know why there is a big difference between oil from the drum and bottle. All I know is I will not go to that reputable workshop for oil change again.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Just to share my personal experience. I did oil change (Japanese fully synthetic engine oil) at reputable workshop (shall not mention name). Same, they supply oil from drums. The performance of the car suffers. My wife complains a lot and I changed out the oil around 2000km. After a few service I was at a small workshop and the mechanic recommends the same oil as reputable workshop but from bottle. I said this oil is quite bad. Mechanic say cannot be, many customers he has repeatedly use this. This is a mechanic that have earned my trust so I took his advice. The oil performed wonderfully. I do not know why there is a big difference between oil from the drum and bottle. All I know is I will not go to that reputable workshop for oil change again.

Could be the same workshop. Lol. The one I went to is also quite reputable. Problem is I can't tell the difference between engine oils. All feels the same to me as my current car has some engine mounting issues.

Are there any ways to prove my theory? Btw, the investigator called me up and asked to hear my story again. he sounded quite defensive of the workshop. Stating that the workshop was competiting with their rival workshop bla bla. So I told him why do they compete without openly advertising about this promotion? Also, how can a business be viable when they are operating at below supplier cost = way way below their cost. Of course, He had no reply. Only to say that he will investigate. I told him where the barrels were hidden in case he couldn't find it but he told me don't worry as he is friends with the workshop boss.

I told him that it doesn't matter what the outcome is as I have already replaced my engine oil. But for consumers to trust the brand and for me to even reconsider trying out their brand, something must be done and an answer will be appropriate. His reply? "Sure"

So what will happen in the end? What will be the result of their investigation? I think all of you already know the answer too.

So fast black?! Like how black? My car after running 10k also not very black. Still can see yellowish with black particles.

at 30-40km it was black with a hint of brown. Something like Kopi mix Kopi O. Can't really explain. I was expecting the new workshop to ask me how come my oil was so clean. But no questions was asked.

Turbocharged

No details leh, no work shop name, not even a brand of oil, just as good as saying be careful of drum dispensed cheap oil.

I always use my own oil n own oil filters.

• Praise 7

If you can see black particles in your oil, it may mean your filter needs to be replaced. Its not doing its job of catching and holding these contaminants.

Kopitiam use filter but the coffee come out black. Better they dont use filter. :grin:

some workshop like that la

so defensive...of cos got thing to hide

little bit wind blow threaten all the nonsense and try all way taiji

• Praise 1

Kopitiam use filter but the coffee come out black. Better they dont use filter. :grin:

Kopitiam use filter but the coffee come out black because the coffee beans are originally black and it is expected to be black. Sure, if you don't want them to use filter, drink slowly and make sure to leave a few milimetres of your coffee behind because there's some not-supposed-to-be-swallowed stuff in there.

Proper new lube oil is light brown (mix of clear Grp 3 basestock with brown adpack) with NO black "particles"/sediments. Even if there are sediments (and you can see it), its likely from the additive package and should be taken care of by the oil filter.

Going off to have a cup of filtered coffee now [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Could be the same workshop. Lol. The one I went to is also quite reputable. Problem is I can't tell the difference between engine oils. All feels the same to me as my current car has some engine mounting issues.

Are there any ways to prove my theory? Btw, the investigator called me up and asked to hear my story again. he sounded quite defensive of the workshop. Stating that the workshop was competiting with their rival workshop bla bla. So I told him why do they compete without openly advertising about this promotion? Also, how can a business be viable when they are operating at below supplier cost = way way below their cost. Of course, He had no reply. Only to say that he will investigate. I told him where the barrels were hidden in case he couldn't find it but he told me don't worry as he is friends with the workshop boss.

I told him that it doesn't matter what the outcome is as I have already replaced my engine oil. But for consumers to trust the brand and for me to even reconsider trying out their brand, something must be done and an answer will be appropriate. His reply? "Sure"

So what will happen in the end? What will be the result of their investigation? I think all of you already know the answer too.

I think we know what the outcome is going to be.

• Praise 1

No details leh, no work shop name, not even a brand of oil, just as good as saying be careful of drum dispensed cheap oil.

I always use my own oil n own oil filters.

No ah. Checking with the people here if anyone encountered similar situation or can shed some light onto what the oil may be. Also, to be wary of cheap promotion even from a reputable workshop. If i want to post details i would likely post it in the complaint section.

Would very much like to share but this is based on my account and is not fair if i were to post their workshop out. Like i say, maybe the boss really doing charity. It is also not fair to the brand of oil as people MAY boycott that brand regardless of reason.

Of course if the investigator aka boss friend tells me that what i claim is true, i will not hesitate to post out the name of the workshop. But likely this case will be just swept under the carpet with no conclusion or no findings. Oh well. [:|]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I'd rather just stick to a trusted workshop/mechanics instead of going to other places because of special deals on servicing or parts.

• Praise 3

Buy 19.90 Engine oil from Giant also better than the drum oil.

I think now giant have permanently fix the pricing at 19.90

@Kippei Yep, I would have felt safer buying the $19.90 engine oil from Giant. At least theres a seal, date of manufacture and more information.

Anyway i think case close and i will stop replying here as i can't get an answer.. (The workshop business is very good. Must book appt and some days full house. Investigator no response and reply regarding the investigation (expected though). And i can't prove what the oil was).

Slightly off topic, i forgotten to mention what the mechanic found during his free 31 point check included in the $35. lol.

1) Brake fluid is turning black. (I went for a brake flush probably 2 months ago. Travelled less than 2000km. Car seldom driven)
2) Cabin air filter dirty. Charcoal type no good. Asked me to change to the ordinary white type. (This i did change as it was about time).

3) Power steering fluid is turning black also. (I repaired my power steering pump 3 months ago and replaced the entire fluid) He the went on to use a metal thingy to show me the fluid. It was the normal yellowish/light browish colour. He mentioned it should be red. [grin] After that told him the fluids were all flushed and replace recently and that red should be the gearbox oil not the power steering fluid. He then told me "na li ke neng? and walk off"

He stopped at 3 as he realised he was making a fool out of himself.

Also, I told my friend to try calling the boss to enquire regarding the 'promotion' and what oil and series is that. Series as in.. example: Mobil 1 Gold, Mobil 1 Green, motul 300v, motul h tech etc etc

Friend told me the boss sounded very impatient and rude. Telling him "what series? what series? Brand 'X' 5w40 la"

End of the day don't take oil from oil drum in workshops other than AD and if its too cheap it's best to just avoid to prevent worrying like me for the entire afternoon.

Anyone that really want to know the workshop can pm me and i will let u know somehow. [wave]

• Praise 2

basically, singapore ver of

actually red power steering fluid is possible...cos they use ATF instead for it..quite common...its ok but not recommended still

No ah. Checking with the people here if anyone encountered similar situation or can shed some light onto what the oil may be. Also, to be wary of cheap promotion even from a reputable workshop. If i want to post details i would likely post it in the complaint section.

Would very much like to share but this is based on my account and is not fair if i were to post their workshop out. Like i say, maybe the boss really doing charity. It is also not fair to the brand of oil as people MAY boycott that brand regardless of reason.

Of course if the investigator aka boss friend tells me that what i claim is true, i will not hesitate to post out the name of the workshop. But likely this case will be just swept under the carpet with no conclusion or no findings. Oh well. [:|]

This not fair, that not fair. And also dun wanna tell us names. If engine needs overhaul, how?

This not fair, that not fair. And also dun wanna tell us names. If engine needs overhaul, how?

aiya morale of the story, cheap may not be good and good will come with a price. so believe in yourself and dont go for those greedy cheapo stuffs. everything comes with a price. nothing is free also in this world. you pay for what you get. you pay peanuts you get monkey, simple as that.

• Praise 2

Perhaps you would like to read carefully. Also, not once did i complain about not being fair. Cheers.

Anyway, any bros would like to try out the promotion and let me know what you think?

http://www.groupon.sg/deals/singapore/one-zone-automotive-2/719638222

Here is the deal i bought. Option 1 Brand 'B'

(edited)

these cheap thrill operate just like those beauty shop scams, that appear cheap on the front but its a trap later

snip avenue, those hair beijing..etc chains,those new york fat loss crap..etc

most likely u are just going to get mineral oil from an opened bottle (replaced contents) and more tweaks done to your car and then make u go back clear shit and they earn more from selling u more junk

look carefully at the spelling of the brand "B" engine oil u choose, its intentionally inexistent..change one letter allows them put crap in ur engine

Edited by Furrynadz
↡ Advertisement