Recycled engine oil or fake?

youpapalite

(edited)

these cheap thrill operate just like those beauty shop scams, that appear cheap on the front but its a trap later

snip avenue, those hair beijing..etc chains,those new york fat loss crap..etc

most likely u are just going to get mineral oil from an opened bottle (replaced contents) and more tweaks done to your car and then make u go back clear shit and they earn more from selling u more junk

look carefully at the spelling of the brand "B" engine oil u choose, its intentionally inexistent..change one letter allows them put crap in ur engine

Lol. I didnt even noticed that.

However, the barrel from the oil drum wrote Brand 'B' in the correct spelling. Also, before i bought the deal, i called the boss and asked him if it was Brand 'B' fully syn 5w40. He said yes.

So probably it's some typo.

Any bros want to try and share your experience? To be fair, the oil didn't make my engine rougher or noisier. Probably when a few bros tried, the result will be more clear as i am very new and paranoid to this. Who knows, i may be the one talking nonsense and many other bros manage to 'kio tio' this deal.

But Brand 'B' at $12/4 litre...hmmm.. $12 + $15 (labour) + $8 filter. Labour will most definitely be more than $15 but i am just trying to increase brand 'B' price.

Edited by youpapalite
↡ Advertisement

i only use genuine oil in unopen bottle and stick to one workshop not monkey mechanics that do this kind cheap thrill

A $35 lesson I have learnt. Haha. But the workshop is reputable. Still got don't know what top 100/200 sme or something like that. Tens of thousands likes on their fb page. Countless of 5 star rating. they also do not entertain walk in. Must book appt. making me think how is it possible...

However, U can see from their fb page etc. no word on this $35 promo.

Supercharged

A $35 lesson I have learnt. Haha. But the workshop is reputable. Still got don't know what top 100/200 sme or something like that. Tens of thousands likes on their fb page. Countless of 5 star rating. they also do not entertain walk in. Must book appt. making me think how is it possible...

However, U can see from their fb page etc. no word on this $35 promo.

Yes, the Brand B oil is in drums but with printed words not hand written (see from their fb yellow drums)... My guess is... [lipsrsealed]

Yes, the Brand B oil is in drums but with printed words not hand written (see from their fb yellow drums)... My guess is... [lipsrsealed]

It is in the yellow drums. However, there is no printed/label/sticker to state which series it is. There should be one as the distributor told me all their oil drums have the label/sticker to state which series is it. For example synpulsar-N.

So basically, it's just the yellow drum with brand 'B' name printed on it, with a hand written 5w40 on it. with a tube to pump out the oil onto many other empty bottles on the floor. My guess is the oil MAY not be Brand 'B' inside but some other oil. It is really quite impossible to be selling it that cheap. But it is also impossible for me to get an answer for sure. Also, with the mechanic words "Same oil but lousier quality" if that's the case he should be in some biochemical line since he know how to make the same oil with lousier quality. (The distributor told me no such thing btw. Oil A = Oil A = $xxx. No such thing as Oil A.1 at a cheaper price with lousier quality.)

The chain of command goes this way.

1) Brand 'B' Asia

2) Brand 'B' Distributor

3) Workshop

I called 1) and 1) referred me to 2).

2) claimed that it is not possible to be priced that way as his cost is even higher than what the workshop was selling at for a fully syn Brand 'B' oil. So 2) referred me to 'John' from 1) telling me he will be able to help me. 1) also told me is very unlikely it is Brand 'B' fully syn EO. But can't comment much. 'John' also jokingly told me "the workshop maybe strike lottery want to do charity"

So.. with the 2 higher-ups telling me is almost impossible, i think i can conclude myself without waiting for the investigator aka boss friend response.

Believe it or not, you guys can go ahead to try. Who knows you might 'kio tio' this good deal. [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

@Kippei Yep, I would have felt safer buying the $19.90 engine oil from Giant. At least theres a seal, date of manufacture and more information.

Anyway i think case close and i will stop replying here as i can't get an answer.. (The workshop business is very good. Must book appt and some days full house. Investigator no response and reply regarding the investigation (expected though). And i can't prove what the oil was).

Slightly off topic, i forgotten to mention what the mechanic found during his free 31 point check included in the $35. lol.

1) Brake fluid is turning black. (I went for a brake flush probably 2 months ago. Travelled less than 2000km. Car seldom driven)

2) Cabin air filter dirty. Charcoal type no good. Asked me to change to the ordinary white type. (This i did change as it was about time).

3) Power steering fluid is turning black also. (I repaired my power steering pump 3 months ago and replaced the entire fluid) He the went on to use a metal thingy to show me the fluid. It was the normal yellowish/light browish colour. He mentioned it should be red. [grin] After that told him the fluids were all flushed and replace recently and that red should be the gearbox oil not the power steering fluid. He then told me "na li ke neng? and walk off"

He stopped at 3 as he realised he was making a fool out of himself.

Also, I told my friend to try calling the boss to enquire regarding the 'promotion' and what oil and series is that. Series as in.. example: Mobil 1 Gold, Mobil 1 Green, motul 300v, motul h tech etc etc

Friend told me the boss sounded very impatient and rude. Telling him "what series? what series? Brand 'X' 5w40 la"

End of the day don't take oil from oil drum in workshops other than AD and if its too cheap it's best to just avoid to prevent worrying like me for the entire afternoon.

Anyone that really want to know the workshop can pm me and i will let u know somehow. [wave]

My brake fluid is blue so wrong colour? hahahaaa Brake fluid and power steering is supposed to use conductivity tester to test not by the colour.

Charcoal is indeed very air flow restricting.

Supersonic

It is really quite impossible to be selling it that cheap.

Some workshops don't make profit from the servicing.

The cheap servicing package is just to sucker you there so they can perform their "checks" and tell you to change everything inside your car and that is where they make their money. You mentioned they tried this on you but failed so actually, it is possible to be selling genuine EO that cheaply.

Anyway, only one way to tell for sure - someone needs to run some tests on the EO.

Turbocharged

It is in the yellow drums. However, there is no printed/label/sticker to state which series it is. There should be one as the distributor told me all their oil drums have the label/sticker to state which series is it. For example synpulsar-N.

So basically, it's just the yellow drum with brand 'B' name printed on it, with a hand written 5w40 on it. with a tube to pump out the oil onto many other empty bottles on the floor. My guess is the oil MAY not be Brand 'B' inside but some other oil. It is really quite impossible to be selling it that cheap. But it is also impossible for me to get an answer for sure. Also, with the mechanic words "Same oil but lousier quality" if that's the case he should be in some biochemical line since he know how to make the same oil with lousier quality. (The distributor told me no such thing btw. Oil A = Oil A = $xxx. No such thing as Oil A.1 at a cheaper price with lousier quality.)

The chain of command goes this way.

1) Brand 'B' Asia

2) Brand 'B' Distributor

3) Workshop

I called 1) and 1) referred me to 2).

2) claimed that it is not possible to be priced that way as his cost is even higher than what the workshop was selling at for a fully syn Brand 'B' oil. So 2) referred me to 'John' from 1) telling me he will be able to help me. 1) also told me is very unlikely it is Brand 'B' fully syn EO. But can't comment much. 'John' also jokingly told me "the workshop maybe strike lottery want to do charity"

So.. with the 2 higher-ups telling me is almost impossible, i think i can conclude myself without waiting for the investigator aka boss friend response.

Believe it or not, you guys can go ahead to try. Who knows you might 'kio tio' this good deal. [lipsrsealed]

I admire your tenacity and perseverance in search for the truth. It is sometimes not about money but principle.

• Praise 5

Supersonic
(edited)

Also, with the mechanic words "Same oil but lousier quality" if that's the case he should be in some biochemical line since he know how to make the same oil with lousier quality.

I don't think there's such thing as a "lousier" quality.

Mechanics like to talk on things they don't understand.

Example, you can buy 1 qt bottle of Mobil 1.

You can also buy the same Mobil 1, but in 55 gallon drum.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-94001-5W-30-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B000COX0JM

Please tell me the drum quality is lousier.

The only reason why a workshop will buy in drum quantity is bcuz it's cheaper by volume, nothing to do with the quality.

It is also required to have a drum oil dispenser.

For plastic bottle, it's easier to pour out. It doesn't mean it's quality is higher.

Edited by Kb27

Some workshops don't make profit from the servicing.

The cheap servicing package is just to sucker you there so they can perform their "checks" and tell you to change everything inside your car and that is where they make their money. You mentioned they tried this on you but failed so actually, it is possible to be selling genuine EO that cheaply.

Anyway, only one way to tell for sure - someone needs to run some tests on the EO.

That is a likely reason which I had thought about too. However, it's not just a minor loss they are incurring it's likely a huge loss should the EO be real. As the it's lower than the distributor cost. And the disturbutors are the one who sell to workshop. :/ and yes I agree on running some test. Unfortunately (fortunately) I have replaced the EO already. Anyone else willing to try the offer? Haha.

charcoal filter is better to remove odours especially behind lorry

the difference is

1) most high end conti come with charcoal filter as a default, and there are kosong filter for cheapo..folks

2) jap car come with kosong filter as standard, and their blower airflow can only handle pumping thru kosong filter, thicker layer charcoal they less effective

The only reason why a workshop will buy in drum quantity is bcuz it's cheaper by volume, nothing to do with the quality.

For plastic bottle, it's easier to pour out. It doesn't mean it's quality is higher.

yes and no

if both are sealed, the quality is same

but u have 2 scenarios other than that

1) open up drum is exposed to moisture and contamination...its still an honest mistake

2) u can fill a drum with mineral oil which costs 30 for 4 Lit, and mineral oil is better at cleaning thats why his oil is rougher and turn black faster (common properties/feel...etc of mineral)...this is cheating, which most of these workshops do

PBM award cost 1.5K , top merchant / top 100 sme...etc cost around there too

That is true too as he may not know what he is talking. However he is confident that it is not the same oil as those sold in the bottle with seal and that those oil in the bottle are of a better grade and that they are not the same. Also, there is no label, markings etc on the oil drum to state the grade or any other information other than a hand written 5w40. So if it's not that series, what is it then? Haha. Only they or the investigator can answer this.

Perhaps you would like to read carefully. Also, not once did i complain about not being fair. Cheers.

Anyway, any bros would like to try out the promotion and let me know what you think?

http://www.groupon.sg/deals/singapore/one-zone-automotive-2/719638222

Here is the deal i bought. Option 1 Brand 'B'

I m the one who always find this type of deal.

After 60k/3 yrs from agent service,I always buy this type of groupon.

A lot of workshops have this type of promotion.So far i visit at least 5 different workshops around singapore who have this type of promotion.

Some of the workshop i even visit them twice.

To be frank,i dont know what type of oil they use but some of their oil i feel is even better than oil from agent in tems of engine smoothness,pick-up etc.But some wont last till 10K.After around 8K,will start to feel engine sluggishness,noisy etc.

My mileage now is around 125k.So far so good.

Dont worry,singapore car life span just 10yrs only.U wont spoil the engine so easily with such low mileage.

• Praise 1

I m the one who always find this type of deal.

After 60k/3 yrs from agent service,I always buy this type of groupon.

A lot of workshops have this type of promotion.So far i visit at least 5 different workshops around singapore who have this type of promotion.

Some of the workshop i even visit them twice.

To be frank,i dont know what type of oil they use but some of their oil i feel is even better than oil from agent in tems of engine smoothness,pick-up etc.But some wont last till 10K.After around 8K,will start to feel engine sluggishness,noisy etc.

My mileage now is around 125k.So far so good.

Dont worry,singapore car life span just 10yrs only.U wont spoil the engine so easily with such low mileage.

Not sure about oil from agent so i can't give any comment. And yes i agree, i can't feel the difference between engine oil. The car did not felt any different. But i do feel worried about not knowing what i put inside the engine. To each his own. My mileage is around 200k though. I changed out the engine oil as i wanted a peace of mind (reason stated in all my previous post) not because it was giving me any problems (in that 30-40km drive).

Thanks for sharing

Cheers :a-m1212:

I do know of a workshop that also used oil frm drum, so as to save costs. Their service package is abt $80-90. This was 3-4 years ago. Not sure about now. They had two types to choose from, 40 weight and 50.

Err, that brand, bluE coLour one From drum izzit?

Those Top 100 SME awards are bulls**t, by the way. How it works is that a "promoter" will call you and ask if you want to be included in their list, just need to pay $xxxx amount and you will be invited to their award ceremony and given a prize.

Those Top 100 SME awards are bulls**t, by the way. How it works is that a "promoter" will call you and ask if you want to be included in their list, just need to pay $xxxx amount and you will be invited to their award ceremony and given a prize.

Didn't know about this. Thanks for sharing.

Prize = receipt of payment? [laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement