Discussion for Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class

Dice

There is no error involved, there are only lies, damned lies and vehicle fuel efficiency specs.

My previous E-class was doing mostly 13.5L/100km and at best 12.5L/100km when I drive less aggressively. My engine was bigger at 2.5L but it was also 1.6+ tonnes, which is one of the main determining factor. With 4matic and higher drag coefficient, SUV should be less efficient compared to E-class.

So if I am getting 11L/100km for a GLC, I would be quite happy already. Since you are driving a Merc, don't think so much about the fuel efficiency already.

:a-m1212: 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Thanks for sharing. Yes, the kerb weight for the GLC250 is around 1.7x tonnes but an E class is also around 1.6x tonnes. Drag coefficient, wheel size, EO, driving behaviour aside.  I see no reason why a GLC250 (stock condition) is unable to achieve anything less than 10L / 100km based on the specifications given. So far, based on those I have asked, unfortunately none of them is able to achieve this figure on a single full tank. 

Specs provided by Mercedes = 

E200 4matic (1.6x tonnes) - Specs = 8.9 L / 100km worst case URBAN drive. 

GLC 4matic (1.7x tonnes) - Specs = 8.7 L / 100km worst case URBAN drive. 

Looking at above, even if we factor in 20% of error, i think most E200 4matic drivers will share that they are OK to achieve 10L / 100km or less on a single full tank. 

However, GLC 4matic drivers - most will struggle to even be close to 11L / 100km on a full tank. 

Wonder if any others can share their experience. 

Thanks

there is a group chat for Merc GLC owners - why dun you go there and check with them ?

Edited by TeamAMG69
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

There is no error involved, there are only lies, damned lies and vehicle fuel efficiency specs.

My previous E-class was doing mostly 13.5L/100km and at best 12.5L/100km when I drive less aggressively. My engine was bigger at 2.5L but it was also 1.6+ tonnes, which is one of the main determining factor. With 4matic and higher drag coefficient, SUV should be less efficient compared to E-class.

So if I am getting 11L/100km for a GLC, I would be quite happy already. Since you are driving a Merc, don't think so much about the fuel efficiency already.

Thanks Andrew. That's quite odd. I also drove an e250 and the FC was easily 9L/100km on comfort mode. So I think can achieve 8L/100km on eco.

there is a group chat for Merc GLC owners - why dun you go there and check with them ?

Thanks. Will do
  • Praise 1

I'm sure he can afford the FC.

It's about why the great disparity between paper specs and real world performance.

If FC was one of the differentiating factors between choosing GLC and another car, and GLC was chosen because of supposedly better FC.. and the owner has every reason to question why the FC is not as stated or even near.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Thanks Andrew. That's quite odd. I also drove an e250 and the FC was easily 9L/100km on comfort mode. So I think can achieve 8L/100km on eco.

Thanks. Will do ð

Are you in a stop go urban setting?

Neutral Newbie

Are you in a stop go urban setting?

Hi MKL. I would say yes urban environment in Comfort mode.  I drove 3 different cars in a span of 2 weeks along the same route with same settings. The E and the C have similar consumption in comparison to specs and maybe off by 10-20%. But somehow, the GLC is off by a lot (> 50%). There are drivers who shared of similar high FC but not in Singapore. Some even said the engine has not "broken in". Hmmm.

I'm sure he can afford the FC.

It's about why the great disparity between paper specs and real world performance.

If FC was one of the differentiating factors between choosing GLC and another car, and GLC was chosen because of supposedly better FC.. and the owner has every reason to question why the FC is not as stated or even near.

Yes!. You are spot on. I am just very curious why the GLCs have GREAT difficulties to achieve < 10L / 100km even on ECO mode and light footed driving. C / E / GLx in comparison, somehow the ride I am having now, just seemed way off the charts when it comes to FC comparison. Haha.. haven't test and compare the HP yet !

1000 kms in 66 litres = 15kmpl, wow impressive

My bro's GLC250D no problem achieve 1,000km per tank. [:p] If FC is a concern, should  have gone for a diesel. [grin] 

Hi MKL. I would say yes urban environment in Comfort mode.  I drove 3 different cars in a span of 2 weeks along the same route with same settings. The E and the C have similar consumption in comparison to specs and maybe off by 10-20%. But somehow, the GLC is off by a lot (> 50%). There are drivers who shared of similar high FC but not in Singapore. Some even said the engine has not "broken in". Hmmm.

Yes!. You are spot on. I am just very curious why the GLCs have GREAT difficulties to achieve < 10L / 100km even on ECO mode and light footed driving. C / E / GLx in comparison, somehow the ride I am having now, just seemed way off the charts when it comes to FC comparison. Haha.. haven't test and compare the HP yet !

Mercedes Germany shows 8.9 - 9.6L/100km for urban cycle

My bro's GLC250D no problem achieve 1,000km per tank. [:p] If FC is a concern, should  have gone for a diesel. [grin] 

GLC Diesel - very rare, your bro made a very good choice,

was it a AD or PI car?

Supercharged

Would like to find out the fuel consumption for most GLC250 drivers here. The specs given for GLC250 is around 7L per 100km and maybe for urban driving about 8.5L per 100km. Factor in heavy footed driving probably 9.5L per 100km. So far most of the time I am only able to achieve on average 13L to 14L per 100km and that is light footed driving in ECO mode. My car is stock with no mods to the ECU and less than 5000km mileage.

I use shell 98 fuel and 19 inch wheels.

Having driven C and E class, the specs and actual fuel consumption doesn't differ that much.

Appreciate some thoughts why actual fuel consumption is so much difference compared to on paper.

Thanks

The main factor is urban city driving versus highway driving. I drive a turbo SUV (non-Merc) myself.

City driving is probably around 14l/100km. pure highway driving is around 7l/100km.

If you drive mainly short trips or in urban traffic then you will kena bad consumption regardless.

The 2nd important factor is your right foot, if you do hyper-milling approach - rev up to speed then cruise with no throttle, cruise to stop with minimum brake etc, then your FC will also increase.

Neutral Newbie

Mercedes Germany shows 8.9 - 9.6L/100km for urban cycle

Yes. Its about right. GLCs if properly tuned should be < 10L / 100km for urban drive.

The main factor is urban city driving versus highway driving. I drive a turbo SUV (non-Merc) myself.

City driving is probably around 14l/100km. pure highway driving is around 7l/100km.

If you drive mainly short trips or in urban traffic then you will kena bad consumption regardless.

The 2nd important factor is your right foot, if you do hyper-milling approach - rev up to speed then cruise with no throttle, cruise to stop with minimum brake etc, then your FC will also increase.

Thanks yes agree on the points you made. Am aware on the the right foot factor. Anyway, the whole point of bringing this up as mentioned, is why the disparity between specifications and actual experience from the stock car received. The difference is > 4L / 100km which I think is way too far.  

got this error message after parked my car for whole day at the office, 

(similar picture I took off the internet, not exactly mine)

hqdefault.jpg

Weird, never happened to me before even when I left my car untouched for 2 weeks when I was overseas.

after driving it home and this morning restart the engine, the message is gone.

Anyone else have similar encounter?

Now my turn to hit this dreaded message just 13 months on the road :-(

Did a quick check using ODB II, battery about 12.5V when switched off, and hit around 13.3V when running.

Mine is a 800A Exide battery.

Is the battery gone case?  Is there a way to reset the warning and monitor again?

On 9/1/2019 at 11:43 PM, lancer6238 said:

Anyone knows if the GLC facelift is available in Singapore now? Does the facelift include GLC200, and does it have the MBUX and larger touchscreen?

I don't think C&C brought in face-lifted GLC yet... but the face-lifted GLC comes with MBUX with larger touchscreen and digital instrument cluster though.

↡ Advertisement