SSD upgrades other PC/laptop issues interest thread

RadX

Why not just get a 250gb ssd, replace the os drive. Reformat the 125gb Ssd to function as a secondary back up.

Set up synology nas to back up wirelessly weekly.

Yeah I will get her to back up to the nas.

Haha these capacities very small. She plays some games though they can take up q a bit of os space.

↡ Advertisement

Qoo10 having promotion now. $60 and $12 off. $200 and $30 off.

I bought a 1Tb Samsung portable SSD. Mainly for its speed and small form factir. Sandisk much cheaper.

Quick go and look. Coupons end tomorrow.

what is a economical good brand/model of +-500gb ssd you would recommend ?

my first 240gb from "Phison" was very good ... but as i needed more storage i bought another "Tammuz" 480gb SSD ... but this time, it seems that the SSD is not as good as the first one ... it seems to be kinda slower and takes a long time to load multiple tabs.

2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

what is a economical good brand/model of +-500gb ssd you would recommend ?

my first 240gb from "Phison" was very good ... but as i needed more storage i bought another "Tammuz" 480gb SSD ... but this time, it seems that the SSD is not as good as the first one ... it seems to be kinda slower and takes a long time to load multiple tabs.

I only use Samsung SSDs so far no problem at all.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Adrianli said:

I only use Samsung SSDs so far no problem at all.

Now when I have YouTube on one tab playing songs, the song will hang when I open another Webpage on another tab.... Then continue playing after the second page has finished loading. 

6 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

Now when I have YouTube on one tab playing songs, the song will hang when I open another Webpage on another tab.... Then continue playing after the second page has finished loading. 

i dun think ssd will affect speed of web content,  most likely is the network.

So far I have used Samsung Evo, SanDisk, WD Blue, Silicon Power SSDs to upgrade my PCs n laptops.. all are ok. Samsung should be the fastest but I can't really tell in daily use and they're all in different machines. 

SSD has come a long way, a few years ago vs today, there are many types of technology and form factor.

You need to decide what you need. Generally, Samsung brand seems to be a safe bet.

But read ON

• Praise 1

Revived this thread to share my recent experience in upgrading HDD in my old desktop and laptop to SSD.

The desktop and old laptop has been with the family for a few years and still working fine but opening jpg file and office software has been painfully slow taking 30seconds at times. Tried increasing the RAM to 16GB also not much improvement. Finally bought 2 sets of 512GB Sata SSD cards at about $8x - a Crucial one for desktop and Transcend 370 for laptop. The outcome is really better than my expectation. Now both devices can open files in less than 2 seconds and everything very fast.

What I want to share is the upgrading process. For desktop is easier as you can used any spare Sata cables available in the computer if available. If you have a CD drive then can use that also. Just need to connect the new SSD drive into the Sata cable and download a cloning software where things might get a little complicated. Almost all Youtube videos on cloning point to Aomei Partition Assistant until you downloaded it and realised the scam - the free edition cannot do cloning but only partitioning, and need to pay US$50 to get the edition that can. After some time I found a working free software from Macrium that allows effortless transfer of data. After successful cloning, you will see 2 drives of identical property. Then just power down the desktop and connect the SSD to the original HDD Sata cable. Done.

The laptop is more complicated as there is no spare Sata cable lying inside the chassis. You will need a  Sata enclosure to connect the new SSD drive through USB port. Then repeat the same process as above for desktop.

I encountered another glitch which is that the laptop refuse to recognise the USB-connected SSD drive as a drive. So I used the Aomei Partition Assistant to create a partition in the new SSD drive since the software can recognise it. After that step, the Macrium software can recognise the drive and the rest is easy to do.

Hope above is useful for those with older laptop and desktop who think they are slow and thinking to get rid of them. Also if your newer laptop is not of SSD drive, can also consider to upgrade them to SSD drive as so much faster and now very cheap. Those 512GB that are good enough for school or work use almost all cost less than S$100.

It is not true that desktop and laptop are dead nowadays. Schools still sue them as primary tool for school work, and same for most companies. This SSD upgrade is truly the cheapest and most effective upgrade for performance gain.

↡ Advertisement