SSD upgrades other PC/laptop issues interest thread

RadX

(edited)

to continue to use, just plug in; use as a table top computer. More worrying is when the battery bloat.

Been using my 10-year old Apple laptop this way. [:p]

I have a laptop about 6 yrs old sitting around somewhere collecting dust, I replaced RAM and change a new bigger OEM battery.

Last I check the battery was not charging, what could be the problem? I think they stop producing the battery.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Supersonic
(edited)

Does this Samsung EVA SSD fits my Acer V5-573G model?

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-V5-573G-9491-15-6-inch-i7-4500U-Processor/dp/B00DDFEX9S

im thinking of buying the Samsung SSD 500GB.

Thks.

Most notebooks are installed with a 2.5" HDD.

2.5" SSD is a direct replacement.

The only thing to watch out for is the thickness.

Some are 7mm, some 9.5mm.

Since the Samsung is 7mm, it's not a problem.

Crucial is 7mm and comes with a 9.5mm adaptor

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100-2-5-Inch-Internal-CT256MX100SSD1/dp/B00KFAGCWK/

The only problem is using a 9.5mm SSD as a 7mm HDD replacement, the casing may not be able to close.

Edited by Kb27

to continue to use, just plug in; use as a table top computer. More worrying is when the battery bloat.

Been using my 10-year old Apple laptop this way. [:p]

Power!

Max I've gone with a Windows laptop is 3 years. Currently using mid-2012 rMBP on 4th year now... though I fobbed off my late-2008 MB to my wife and she is still using it [;]

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Power!

Max I've gone with a Windows laptop is 3 years. Currently using mid-2012 rMBP on 4th year now... though I fobbed off my late-2008 MB to my wife and she is still using it [;]

Windows laptop must see what brand. My Fujitsu ones still running. One is at least 10 years old passed down from my mum and the other is 9 years old. Recently updated the 9 year old one to windows 8.1 and it still works. Lol.

Edited by Nzy

Turbocharged

Windows laptop must see what brand. My Fujitsu ones still running. One is at least 10 years old passed down from my mum and the other is 9 years old. Recently updated the 9 year old one to windows 8.1 and it still works. Lol.

Fujitsu ftw...Hehe..

(edited)

Fujitsu huh... good for you...

But for me, only Acer (lasted 2 week and had to change 2 logic boards in that time... I threw it back at their face) can claim to have given me an even more shittier experience than the Fujitsu I unfortunately got... here's an excerpt of an email I sent to my bro in 2004...

- It uses a desktop processor - 3.2Ghz with an 800 Mhz FSB - so it runs hot. Can't keep it on your lap

- It uses a really fast GPU - an ATI Mobility 9600 Pro that runs at 350 Mhz and a DDR RAM at 250 Mhz, so thats pretty hot also.
- Its system RAM of 1 GB runs at a fast DDR 333 Mhz...
- Because of all the Mhz above, it needs a pretty noisy fan to keep this cool... it tries to keep things cool!!
- The biggest point against it being a mobility is unfortunately the power adapter that Fujitsu supplies... its a big-arse, heavy brick that looks like it can power a small city...

A friend and I, both bought a laptop each cos we were all into gaming and stuff those days. Our regret was immediate... I called mine Smeagol and he named his Gollum. Both unloved monsters [:p]

testiruem_noutbuki_fujitsu_siemens_compu

Edited by ins1dious

Turbocharged

Fujitsu huh... good for you...

But for me, only Acer (lasted 2 week and had to change 2 logic boards in that time... I threw it back at their face) can claim to have given me an even more shittier experience than the Fujitsu I unfortunately got... here's an excerpt of an email I sent to my bro in 2004...

A friend and I, both bought a laptop each cos we were all into gaming and stuff those days. Our regret was immediate... I called mine Smeagol and he named his Gollum. Both unloved monsters [:p]

testiruem_noutbuki_fujitsu_siemens_compu

Not sure how big is that power adapter , I know the hp z-book power adapter is huge....

Check your bios ?

Is there a AHCI setting ?

Try to change that setting around to test whether the SSD can be detected.

The Laptop's bios, cannot change any HDD settings :

post-2654-0-69405200-1434810958_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-88883300-1434810970_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-68131900-1434810981_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-11891900-1434810994_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-95275900-1434811005_thumb.jpg

(edited)

Is there a firmware/BIOS update from the laptop manufacturer?

What happens when you put the old HDD back in? If it's recognised and you can go into the BIOS with that... do you than have any option to change?

Here's a forum thread with the same SSD...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1543318/ssd-not-detected-in-bios-with-samsung-850-evo

Edited by ins1dious

Supersonic

attachicon.gifY300 BIOS 002.jpg

ATA control mode = compatible...

Can this be changed to AHCI or some other value and try ?.

Hypersonic

HELP

After reading this thread, I went to get me self a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G and tried to upgrade my Intel Celeron Duo laptop. But it failed. After using the provided Samsung clone software to clone the original 120G HDD, I replaced with the SSD. It failed o boot up at all. I went in to look at the bios, there was no HDD detected.

I replaced with the original and it worked again. I connect the SSD as a USB drive and read it. All the files are there. Tried everything again. The bios still cannot detect the SSD.

What now???

BTW, my laptop is a Lenovo Y300.

See if you can update the BIOS. Download the update utility at http://www.hpdriversupdateutility.com/drivers_Lenovo_3000-Y300_Bios_Windows-XP.html

Is there a firmware/BIOS update from the laptop manufacturer?

What happens when you put the old HDD back in? If it's recognised and you can go into the BIOS with that... do you than have any option to change?

Here's a forum thread with the same SSD...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1543318/ssd-not-detected-in-bios-with-samsung-850-evo

Laptop manufacturer no updates. 2007 laptop.

When I put back original HDD, it is recognised. No option to change too.

ATA control mode = compatible...

Can this be changed to AHCI or some other value and try ?.

It is greyed out, cannot change. Even original HDD also cannot change.

See if you can update the BIOS. Download the update utility at http://www.hpdriversupdateutility.com/drivers_Lenovo_3000-Y300_Bios_Windows-XP.html

Downloaded. It does not detect the bios needs update. And must pay to update other drivers.

I tried Phoenix's BIOSAgentPlus and it detected bios needs update. Also must pay USD40+ to update the bios. Any free sites to update the bios???

Supersonic

Try to find and update bios at Acer first.

Then SATA controller must be set to AHCI mode for SSD.

Hypersonic

Downloaded. It does not detect the bios needs update. And must pay to update other drivers.

I tried Phoenix's BIOSAgentPlus and it detected bios needs update. Also must pay USD40+ to update the bios. Any free sites to update the bios???

Worse come to worse... then buy a USB cable and boot from USB... does your BIOS support that?

• Praise 2

Laptop manufacturer no updates. 2007 laptop.

When I put back original HDD, it is recognised. No option to change too.

I don't know if the IdeaPad Y330 is the same... but Lenovo do have a fix for AHCI for this... also read in another forum that issues with the Intel Matrix Storage screws up the SSD.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y330

But if yours is the Lenovo 3000 Y300... don't know how...

After downloading this and that to try and upgrade the BIOS, now I cannot log in liao. I think my laptop kena hacked and password was changed. How to reset password for Windows Vista.

Now what???

A simple upgrade has turned into a nightmare now. :lll._.:

↡ Advertisement