Telcos to cease 2G service from April 2017

Yamapi

SINGAPORE — M1, Singtel and Starhub here will cease 2G services from April 1, 2017, announced the three mobile network operators today (June 15).
The Information Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) will also cease registration of 2G-only mobile communication equipment with effect from Sept 15 this year.
To cater to increased demand for mobile data and faster access speeds, the spectrum currently used for 2G voice, messaging and data services will make way for 3G and 4G services.
To facilitate the transition, the three mobile operators have agreed for their 2G-only subscribers to continue with their existing mobile plans at no additional cost after they have migrated to the more advanced networks, if they choose not to subscribe to new service plans.
“Mobile networks have evolved since the launch of the 2G service in 1994, and Singapore’s extensive modern 3G and 4G mobile networks has led to high smartphone ownership and usage rates...only a small percentage of customers remain on 2G-only mobile devices (today),” said the three mobile operators in a press release.
According to the IDA, 2G pre- and post-paid subscriptions have been declining steadily, from more than 2 million subscribers in June 2011 to about 250,000 today.
IDA had approved the operators’ request to close the network after considering “the evolving technology landscape and migration of consumers 3G and 4G technologies, which offer more service features and higher broadband speeds”.
Mobile operators in countries like Japan, Korea, Australia and the United States have also either closed or announced plans to cease their 2G networks, the IDA noted.
The operators will keep affected 2G users informed of the upcoming network closure through text messages, calls and posters at their retail outlets.
A wide range of 3G and 4G handsets will be available at difference price points. Customers currently on 2G handsets need only to place their SIM cards in the 3G or 4G device to use the network immediately.

i still have functional old nokia & sony ericsson phones leh. meaning these phones will not work from apr 2017?
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

I still have at times, no 3G available, it auto-switch to 2G.

So now no 2G, means no service ?

• Praise 1

All the maids, banglas, etc how? All got to buy smartphones?

All the telcos huat ah !

cos they all can sell smartphones at jacked up prices !

• Praise 1

(edited)

All the maids, banglas, etc how? All got to buy smartphones?

2 weeks ago, I just helped my maid to buy a new Samsung Galaxy E5.

now a days, SG maids can afford smartphones liao.

Edited by lausai88
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

2 weeks ago, I just helped my maid to buy a new Samsung Galaxy E5.

now a days, SG maids can afford smartphones liao.

Keep your old smartphones for your maid when the time comes...

• Praise 1

Twincharged

i still have functional old nokia & sony ericsson phones leh. meaning these phones will not work from apr 2017?

My mother still old school using 2G phone. She only use it for phone call and after hearing the news that 2G service to be cease by April 2017. I quickly go online search for a old school phone but with 3G service as she only used to non touch screen phone with keypad to press one.

In the end found Nokia C5 fits what she will be comfortable using. So just bought it online in ebay ( lucky still got sell in new condition ) .

i dunno, this will take place 2 years later, but in my office area, something can only go 2g. Hopefully, reception will improve by then

Hypersonic

My mother still old school using 2G phone. She only use it for phone call and after hearing the news that 2G service to be cease by April 2017. I quickly go online search for a old school phone but with 3G service as she only used to non touch screen phone with keypad to press one.

In the end found Nokia C5 fits what she will be comfortable using. So just bought it online in ebay ( lucky still got sell in new condition ) .

Errr... Apr 2017 lah. No need so kan cheong and buy now [sweatdrop]

[laugh] [laugh]

Already switched off nong nong time ago. How I know?

I got 2 SIMs - one SingTel and one M1 on dual SIM phone.

When toggle between network for data, one will go to 2G, but will have no signal at all. Both behaved the same way since Dec 2016.

Edited by Kangadrool

Already switched off nong nong time ago. How I know?

I got 2 SIMs - one SingTel and one M1 on dual SIM phone.

When toggle between network for data, one will go to 2G, but will have no signal at all. Both behaved the same way since Dec 2016.

your phone karput lah. :grin:

Big bro IDA watching the Telcos, they cannot suka suka shutdown 2G  [scholar]

Turbocharged

we got to move with technology. there are cheap smart phone if it is just for making calls.

what i canot accept is telco company changing the rules for their existing plans. when they want you, they entice you. now they dump you and ask you to upgrade your plan.

your phone karput lah. :grin:

Big bro IDA watching the Telcos, they cannot suka suka shutdown 2G  [scholar]

Dont think so can say "watching" ......maybe more like hand in glove operation..... will always say old tech cannot maintain, upkeep..... macham macham story to cry mother and cry father one and we the children of them "pledge ourselves as one united people regardless of race language or religion"  ...... suck thumb

........ so as to achieve peace progress and prosperity......... for them  ............

not my 2 cents worth but 5 cents worth....... ooops ...... that one also going going gone soon from circulation too.... 

• Praise 1

Twincharged

there is nothing we can do, i totally forget about this matter, just the other day, i give the cleaner auntie in my office my old 2g phone (hardly used, bought for reservist last time)... now, she got to get another phone again...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2