Proper way to power down a car? (automatic transmission)

yrh0413

This is like worse dan a mating ritual. So many steps. My previous car I anyhow also boh tai ji. Maybe these ppl are driving vw. So must be very gentle to the gb. Kiss and sayang it....LoL...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

after parking:

1. put in P

2. off aircon

3. kill the engine.

4. lock car

5.walk off and enjoy the rest of my day.

Turbocharged

Aiyah so many different ways of doing it, I'm sure our cars are more sturdy than that. What's the point of doing so many nice steps when one neglect oil change, pressure checks and other whatnot.

For me it's simple, the standard way.

-Park

-Shift to P

-Handbrake

-Off engine

Other stuff like off A.C. Radio dust carpet Or other things I don't bother unless special case.

Car scrapping in 7mths, still no problem.

This is like worse dan a mating ritual. So many steps. My previous car I anyhow also boh tai ji. Maybe these ppl are driving vw. So must be very gentle to the gb. Kiss and sayang it....LoL...

No choice mah. People spend 100k on a car must take care of it like a diamond and gem. [laugh]

• Praise 1

I checked tyre pressure every 2 wks.

I do oil change every 5k km

I change tyre every 20k km as my car clocks about 10 - 15k a yr.

The reasons for the different sequences are basically quite a no-brainer if you ask me.

Have anyone ever experienced putting it to P on a slight incline when parked?

This will also mean when you move off, there seems to be a resistance when you want to shift gear out of P?

Basically, the logic of it is to allow the car to be completely stationary before you engage or dis-engage P as a gear lock.

Same goes for moving off, car should be completely stationary (means will not start to roll when you shift from P to N) before you disengage from P.

Therefore, even if you follow method 2 when parking and turning off the ignition, should you release all handbrake and footbrake (on an incline) before you disengage P, you are going to experience that shifting resistance. Which is basically what the concern is all about.

The sequence is just for those whom have totally non-situational awareness type.

So that they don't go too wrong handling their auto-transmission cars.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

Here, we have people who will warm up engine and conduct power down sequence to protect car and then we have people who dont service car for years because scrapping soon.

Blame Bill Gates lor for forcing us to shutdown Windows before switching off PC.

Now people also do shutdown car OS before power off.....

Otherwise ECU will be corrupted. Warranty void.

[:p]

Edited by Ben5266

Turbocharged

Here, we have people who will warm up engine and conduct power down sequence to protect car and then we have people who dont service car for years because scrapping soon.

I just believe in using the handbrake to hold the car instead of placing the stress on the transmission/parking prawl. It's called a parking brake for a reason. Also the handbrake is better at holding the car if it gets a sudden push... e.g. langgar

Car complete stop then straight away put to ' P ' and pull handbrake.

Off radio , aircon and light .

Doing this for the past 18years on all my previous ride.

(edited)

Does it really make a difference whether we engage handbrake or not? I mean, pulling the handbrake every time we park does not damage anything right, so just use it lor

It does not make a difference just don't see a real need to use it. when parking at slope I would full engage foot brake it and turn my wheel to face the kerb just in case the brake failure.

Edited by Rustyz

Supersonic

1) Park & positioned properly.

2) Step footbrake.

3) Push to P.

4) Pull handbrake.

5) Turn off lights

6) lower radio vol to zero. Off.

7) Aircon lower to min. Off.

8) Check all 4 windows fully closed.

9) fold in side mirrors.

10) Off Engine.

<REMOVE CASHCARD> Keep in wallet or in car where its out of sight...

wah sei.....u piloting a A380 ah?

Turbocharged

1. make sure car is not moving

2. turn key left to switch off engine. gearbox will auto P and parking brake auto activate

3. leave car...

what car you driving? you sure your allow you to switch off engine in "D" mode? :huh:

what car you driving? you sure your allow you to switch off engine in "D" mode? :huh:

Dual clutch.

So doing this is like switching off the engine in gear but with clutch disengaged which is OK.

Turbocharged

mine also lets me switch key to off when in D... but cannot start in D/R. But mine is old car.

Twincharged

Newer cars with Start/Stop system all can "Auto" off/on in "D".

Turbocharged

Newer cars with Start/Stop system all can "Auto" off/on in "D".

but this is start stop system.... when you say auto off in 'D', you mean with the parking brake on, the car sitting still for 10 mins shut down??

↡ Advertisement