Worst new trend in car interior design

SeriousGuy

I totally agree!

I first saw this "floating" display on the CLA and I thought it a bit odd that the screen was not integrated and like the author thought that this was a local add on.

Soon thereafter I saw more and more models with the same design!

I am a little bit of a clean freak and my immediate thoughts was how to clean adequately in the nooks and crannys ... -_--_-

100% agree , Mercedes CLA and C Class look so gorgeous , the exterior and interior too , but the floating screen really look horrible , maybe it's just me tho

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-worst-new-trend-in-car-interior-design-1564314503

(edited)

i am skeptical how to read whatever its on the screen given the reflection in broad day light.

Not much reflections with all the new screens' coatings. No issues at all.

Which is also a reason for the new floating screens, because with the new anti-glare coatings, there is no longer a need to cover the screens with a cowl like on earlier gen screens.

I guess the best way would be for the floating screens to actually fold away.

Edited by Mockngbrd

Not much reflections with all the new screens' coatings. No issues at all.

Which is also a reason for the new floating screens, because with the new anti-glare coatings, there is no longer a need to cover the screens with a cowl like on earlier gen screens.

I guess the best way would be for the floating screens to actually fold away.

that goes to show i outdated liao.... :sick:

if it fold away mechanically like a saab cup holder or simply sink into the dash, that would be cool :chilling:

(edited)

The number pad for the Mercedes Benz interior for what de? Until now I haven't gotten to use mine. Think it adds to some clutter and should be removed to save space for other things more meaningful.

Edited by Nissan833

Turbocharged

I don't mind raised screens that are near eye height... but I prefer them to be shrouded/cowled, I agree that the "floating look" just seems too tacked on.

Or be like Audi's that fold in.

I was wondering whether Mazda copy Benz... imo the MZD connect system the screen standing up look like Benz, but the controller is like iDrive!

The number pad for the Mercedes Benz interior for what de? Until now I haven't gotten to use mine. Think it adds to some clutter and should be removed to save space for other things more meaningful.

I think for dialing phone numbers. They removed it in the new C-class... good riddance.

(edited)

i find the floating screen design is like taking a backward step too. Integrated dash was the way to go.

it does lower the classy feel with the "add-on" display and the only saving grace is no ugly wires dangling and suction holders to add to the "cheap" feel.

Somehow feel this kind of design may be inspired by the taxi dash with nagivation screen.

Edited by Alfc

Supercharged

The floating panel works for me. I do not look at my panel when I drive. It makes no difference whether it floats or can be withdrawn into a slot.

The floating panel is used only when I am stationary and wants to meddle around with it. Most changes can be made with the switches on the steering wheel in any case.

99% of the time it is used by my wife and I must say it is a good fit for your front passenger, position wise and elevation wise.

There is no glare issue for the new screens and no issue of it being stuck inside the slots but dust do settle at places where the sun dun shine........... A good strong vacuum cleaner like Dyson is a life saver.

(edited)

The floating panel works for me. I do not look at my panel when I drive. It makes no difference whether it floats or can be withdrawn into a slot.

The floating panel is used only when I am stationary and wants to meddle around with it. Most changes can be made with the switches on the steering wheel in any case.

99% of the time it is used by my wife and I must say it is a good fit for your front passenger, position wise and elevation wise.

There is no glare issue for the new screens and no issue of it being stuck inside the slots but dust do settle at places where the sun dun shine........... A good strong vacuum cleaner like Dyson is a life saver.

i use these

1284777367594_hz-myalibaba-web-temp1_113

Edited by Mockngbrd

New volvo XC90 ?

I think it's great.

Yeah not a fan of popup or displays that stand up.

this best, no?

100% agree , Mercedes CLA and C Class look so gorgeous , the exterior and interior too , but the floating screen really look horrible , maybe it's just me tho

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-worst-new-trend-in-car-interior-design-1564314503

Same here ... I don't like the floating design panel too. Looks like a "after thought" additional item to the dash.

I prefer the foldable design from Audi followed by the BMW.

Floating screen also allows a better designed dash as new safety regulations that require these screens to be at almost eye-level.

Supersonic

Another horrible trend - automatic wipers.

Drizzle - doesn't come on.

Rain slows down - still wiping at frantic speed.

Still prefer the old skool type wif manual intermittent adjustment.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2