Advice needed for New Zealand road trip

Bluepica

I have read on some of tips given by forumers here but those posting are quite old (a few years back) already.

Am planning for a road trip early November. Will be having 12 days (including touching down and flying off days). Will be landing in Christchurch and flying off from Auckland. My friend told me that AKL is very boring so I intend to leave only one full day for Auckland. Will be spending most of the days in South Island.

hence, I have only having 9 or 10 days in South Island. I am trying to cover everything that was recommended (eg. Sky diving, Milford cruise, Penguin watching, baby seal watching, whale watching...etc etc....)

At first, I thought of getting a campervan, but after reading some review, better switch back to normal car. I will be traveling with one friend and I am the sole driver.

Some questions: (my first trip to NZ)

1. Looking at the distance given by google map, from one place to another (eg. ChC to Lake terapo) seems very far, like around 220km, going through winding road. Does these road same as those in Msia old trunk roads? I wonder how far can I cover in one day.

2. Is it possible to cover from ChC to Dunedin, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Mt Cook, Arthur's pass, Kaikoura in just 9 days??

3. Must I book the lodging place/motel in advance or can I book upon arriving? Without advance booking, I can determine when I'm tired, then can find a place to lodge and do not need to pressing on till reaching certain pre-booked lodging place.

4. Will there be ample stop/ lay-by areas for toilet break and rest or petrol top up?

5. Does parking in town area need parking payment?

Thank you for any advice.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

On phone now. So no detail.

1. Yes AA NZ travel planner. Timings are much better.

2. November should be ok for accommodation. But still good to book ahead.

3. Check on strait crossing. Drop car in Picton then pick up in new one in Wellington or take car across? The ferry is pretty to take. Other option maybe fly on puddle jumper Nelson to Wellington.

4. Given short time in North island is rather packed. You won't have much time. Rotorua alone would need a FULL day. So that means two nights. Maybe consider SI only. That would mean drive up coast, come back through the pass....

Turbocharged

Will see if can think n plan a bit later.

CHCH to queenstown is full day travel.

Then full day queenstown. Bungay, jet, gondola. Then rest in hotel. This is typical pattern.

CHCH to kaikoura 2-3 hour. Lunch, whale watch is 3 hour. Then may drive to Hanmer...maybe two hour, arrive evening. Rest. Full day Hanmer. ..hot pools etc.

Supercharged

1. Looking at the distance given by google map, from one place to another (eg. ChC to Lake terapo) seems very far, like around 220km, going through winding road. Does these road same as those in Msia old trunk roads? I wonder how far can I cover in one day.
NZ roads are of better quality than in Malaysia. Usually traffic is light but everyone stays within the speed limit.

2. Is it possible to cover from ChC to Dunedin, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Mt Cook, Arthur's pass, Kaikoura in just 9 days??
Can be done.

3. Must I book the lodging place/motel in advance or can I book upon arriving? Without advance booking, I can determine when I'm tired, then can find a place to lodge and do not need to pressing on till reaching certain pre-booked lodging place.

NZ has a lot of tourist info centres where you can get maps, etc and even book accommodation.

4. Will there be ample stop/ lay-by areas for toilet break and rest or petrol top up?
Yup, esp in towns.

Depending on where you park, you can park for free for up to 2 hours. The further from commercial area, the longer the duration.

On phone now. So no detail.

1. Yes AA NZ travel planner. Timings are much better.

2. November should be ok for accommodation. But still good to book ahead.

3. Check on strait crossing. Drop car in Picton then pick up in new one in Wellington or take car across? The ferry is pretty to take. Other option maybe fly on puddle jumper Nelson to Wellington.

4. Given short time in North island is rather packed. You won't have much time. Rotorua alone would need a FULL day. So that means two nights. Maybe consider SI only. That would mean drive up coast, come back through the pass....

For this trip, I'll be concentrating on South island only.

Oh yeah, One more question, is it true that get car rental on the day of arrival is cheaper then pre booked online?

Thanks!

NZ roads are of better quality than in Malaysia. Usually traffic is light but everyone stays within the speed limit.

Can be done.

NZ has a lot of tourist info centres where you can get maps, etc and even book accommodation.

Yup, esp in towns.

Depending on where you park, you can park for free for up to 2 hours. The further from commercial area, the longer the duration.

thanks for the infos!

Turbocharged

For this trip, I'll be concentrating on South island only.

Oh yeah, One more question, is it true that get car rental on the day of arrival is cheaper then pre booked online?

Thanks!

Dunno...

Have never compared -

Last time I went we rented a campervan....

Turbocharged

regarding driving time, do factor in lots of buffer time esp if u wanna stop to take photos along the way. Many nice vantage points as u pass through the countryside.

fm my experience, the nz roads are well sign-posted, with speed limits on each bend. Even the forest trails (dirt/gravel tracks) are decent. Rental cars may require u to stay on tarmac. So do check this.

imo 9 days for SI is kinda short. I took 2 wks in SI - not including 1 wk in Stewart island - and still felt it was too short.

Further, if u r going to rush through NI just to catch a flight, it may not be worth it. I loved mt ruapehu. Went up many sections/trails fm my base in Wellington. And yes, Auckland city is not much... just like a regular city. I spent more time in the suburbs and surrounding national parks. I went Auckland city center only for the WRC event.

good luck n hv loads of fun

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

regarding driving time, do factor in lots of buffer time esp if u wanna stop to take photos along the way. Many nice vantage points as u pass through the countryside.

fm my experience, the nz roads are well sign-posted, with speed limits on each bend. Even the forest trails (dirt/gravel tracks) are decent. Rental cars may require u to stay on tarmac. So do check this.

imo 9 days for SI is kinda short. I took 2 wks in SI - not including 1 wk in Stewart island - and still felt it was too short.

Further, if u r going to rush through NI just to catch a flight, it may not be worth it. I loved mt ruapehu. Went up many sections/trails fm my base in Wellington. And yes, Auckland city is not much... just like a regular city. I spent more time in the suburbs and surrounding national parks. I went Auckland city center only for the WRC event.

good luck n hv loads of fun

Regarding "buffer time" - the AA road planner buffers in photo taking and rest stops - is more recommended than Google.

As to speed advisory signs (they're not speed limits) - these provide a really good guide - particularly when you're not familiar with the road, and also not used to driving on NZ roads.

Concur on the North Island tip - Wellington to Auckland is already more than a full day's driving - without stopping anywhere in between...

Sounds like a lot of driving.

300-400km in New Zealand takes about 6-7 hours of normal driving. Most of their highways are just dual carriageway with 1 lane on each side.

U have to take into account that some towns are just not worth the rest stops in between, so u do get shack after a while. It maybe like 2 hrs before the next decent rest stop.

I think cut out some places from your trip, and really go walk some easy trails to admire the beauty of the place. My trip was pretty rushed. only 7-8 days.

Fly where possible. One full day on the road is no joke especially if u are a single driver.

Turbocharged

One thing you may not have considered -

Akaroa has "swim with the dolphins" - a nice harbour cruise and has a really nice fush n chups store (that has been burnt down and rebuilt - was where I used to buy school lunch)

This by itself is a full day trip from CHCH - or if you travel light, can spend the night there

Also - go to the Cookie time factory in Rolleston - cookies that make even cookie monster happy

Christchurch used to have parapunting / paragliding from the port hills (tandem ride) - that would be really fun.

Your trip also don't seem to accomodate how u want to go Arthur's pass.

Tekapo-Mt Cook are all on the east side of the mountains.
Arthur's pass is the pass north of christchurch.

Turbocharged

I think cut out some places from your trip, and really go walk some easy trails to admire the beauty of the place. My trip was pretty rushed. only 7-8 days.

Fly where possible. One full day on the road is no joke especially if u are a single driver.

Hmmm...

I dunno - for me, CHCH to Nelson for example is not a problem - is a nice drive (whichever way you go). I would however STONGLY recommend that time is taken - don't plan "full day driving" - it's simply not worth it - you will miss too much.

For example - I would say that CHCH to Hanmer, then stay Hanmer is just nice - then Hanmer to Nelson is also pleasant

Alternatively - CHCH to Athurs Pass - then spend a day there doing the nature walks is also good.

If into wine - there are full day Winery tours from Nelson,

Founders park is fun (olden days mock-up) in Nelson. There's also something similar in Christchurch called Ferrymead - I haven't been there in yonks, but should be fun.

Can go gold panning in Arrowtown if you like that sort of thing as well.

Turbocharged

Your trip also don't seem to accomodate how u want to go Arthur's pass.

Tekapo-Mt Cook are all on the east side of the mountains.

Arthur's pass is the pass north of christchurch.

You could go Christchurch to Queenstown, come up the Westcoast to Greymouth then through the Lewis Pass which will hook you back up to Arthurs Pass - up to Nelson then back down the East Coast via Kaikoura

Up in Nelson take the Whangamoas through to Collingwood - a very pretty drive -

Lol for short trips it's hard to enjoy.

I did CHC->Fly to queenstown -> Te Anau -> Milford sound -> Te Anau to rest -> Wanaka (stop by arrowtown) -> Fox Glacier -> Arthur's pass on way back to CHC in 8 days. Just nice thereabouts.

Didn't really see much of Arthur's as it was raining and i just wanted to get back to CHC to rest.

Next time i want to go to the other spots i missed.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

One other thing - I'm not sure what sorts of activities you like - but one of the Hydro dams offers tours - that might be a lot of fun...

If you like History - the Airforce Museum at Wigram (close to the Cookie time factory) I really enjoyed - part of the reason was a really good tour guide.

Also - there is a FANTASTIC car museum somewhere down south - I can't remember exactly where, but it has one of the best collections in the WORLD.

One tip

If you love lamb chops like me don't plan to eat it in NZ.

Apparently all the best chops are for Export only.

You should have seen the disappointment on my face.

The only time I was more disappointed about food was when I was in Sri Lanka

an my host asked me what I wanted to eat and said Sri Lanka crab. My host told me

he loves it too and its not available in Sri Lanka and he has to eat it when he comes to Singapore.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12