Advice needed for New Zealand road trip

Bluepica

Hi. Just did a NZ south island trip last month. Rather on discussion on about driving over there which have been mentioned many times. I will share my experiences on other matters.

One thing I like driving in NZ is there are many free and clean public Toilets. As u know driving from point to point I can be very long distance . We tend to worry what if we need a toilet halfway during the long distance drive? Don't worry. Along the way. Toilet signs are clearly shown along the road and almost all of them are free. Unlike Iceland. I have to release it naturally. There is a good app "CamperMate" I highly recommended the app which shown all the free public Toilets throughout the island (not only toilets, also petrol station and other) . It is a Must have apps if u traveling there. So that U can plan ahead where is your toilet break check point.

Credit card is also widely accepted there. From groceries to petrol station. I just use paywave. So changing of NZ currencies can be at minimum.

For grocery items. pak and save has the most varieties and also the cheapest. However only avaliable at main cities such as Christchurch and Queenstown.

As u know. Parking need to pay in Queenstown. Actually U can park for free at the park street along the side of the road (make sure not at dotted line) or the botanic garden nearby. It is just a 5 to 10 mins walk to the city. Unfortunately for big campervan and motor home. U have to go for specific parking spot for that. In Christchurch. Go park at shopping mall or supermarket. It offer free parking to customers from 2 to 4 hours. Although sign mentioned enforcement will be taken to those who parked longer. I really not sure how they going to monitor. Those who abused will fine $60.

Lastly, just a bit on driving matters. There are many cross junctions without traffic lights to regulate the traffic. So make sure u look out for stop line and know who has the right of way and also NZ drivers will usually drive slightly above or close to the speed limit. They don't road hog. Those who road hog are usually rental cars driven by tourists. Don't be like them.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Hi All, I am planning a roadtrip to NZ South Island in early Dec, for 12days. Only 2 of us, both drivers who love to drive, we did a roadtrip to Tasmania before. Long distance driving isn't an issue for us. I recently drove from Terengganu to JB, over 500km, with only a half hr break in between, and I found it enjoyable.  

This would be our second trip to NZ, last one was 19years ago on package tour. We prefer to do easy walks/treks in scenic places hence have planned more of trekking this time. Have done White Water Rafting, Jetboating, Gondola, Luge in previous trip hence would skip these.

Planned itinerary (accommodation all pre-booked, train tickets booked, rental car booked):

Day 1 Reach Christchurch about 1pm. Drive to Kaikoura. Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway at least 3 hrs walk.

Day 2 Whalewatching at Kaikoura at 7am, for 3.5hrs. Depart Kaikoura by noon for 400km Drive to Lake Tekapo. [This would mean if weather condition not favourable for the whalewatching, we won't have time to reschedule it. Wondering if I should cancel the accommodation at Lake Tekapo and plan somewhere nearer to Kaikoura instead. Have done whalewatching in Taiwan and Tasmania before, so far have not experienced any seasickness even in choppy water, so hopefully driving after that won't pose a problem.]

Day 3 Lake Tekapo sightseeing for a short while. Drive to Mount Cook and do Hooker Valley Track. Drive to Queensberry to rest for the night.

Day 4-6 Queensberry to Te Anau, where we will spend 3 nights. Plan to do Doubtful Sound Day Cruise, Milford Sound Cruise with Milford Discovery Centre & Underwater Observatory, Te Anau Glow Worm Cave, Tutoko Valley River Hike, Key Summit Trail. [Hope to start driving by 7am and reach Milford Sound by 9am to take one of the earliest cruises, to avoid the busloads of tourists from QT. After that do the Tutoko Valley River Hike for 6hrs before heading back to Te Anau by nightfall. Possible?]

Day 7 Set off from Te Anau at 7am (check out time of our motel), drive to Queenstown. Probably reach QT by 11am. Sky Dive if weather permits. Squeeze in a 4hr LOTR Scenic Half Day Tour if possible.

Day 8 Depart QT for Rob Roy Glacier Track, Blue Pools Walk. Spend night at Makarora Mountainview.

Day 9-10 Drive from Makarora to Franz Josef. Spend 2 days in Franz Josef. Plan to do Heli Hike, short day walks (Lake Matheson Mirror Lake Walk, Roberts Point Walking Track).

Day 11 Drive from Franz Josef to Greymouth Railway Stn. Take TranzAlpine from Greymouth to Christchurch.

Day 12 Last morning at Christchurch before flying back to SG.

We just booked a Ford Focus with Apex, at NZ49/day including zero excess. Think it was a special rate as a Yaris rental is NZ37 or so a day (excluding zero excess which cost about NZ20 a day). 

Qns:

1. I checked that Sunrise in Dec would be before 6am and Sunset after 9pm (9.11-9.27+-). Would there be enough daylight to drive between 7am and 8.30pm?

2. I believe shops and restaurants may not open till too late? Hence better to plan for early dinner say about 5pm?

Would appreciate some tips/advice/recommendations regarding the planned itinerary and questions above. Thank you!             [:)]

• Praise 2

I would add dinner at Green Dolphin Restaurant at Kaikoura (Book in advance).

Time permit you may want to consider the seal colony at Oahu just north of Kaikoura and walk to the little waterfall with juvenile seals.

You can consider Hammar Springs (hot spring pools) as a in-between overnight stop from Kaikoura to Tekapo (which is a long drive!).

For Milford Sound, I went on a smaller boat that could go closer to the rocks/seals etc. Can't remember the operator. 

Have fun!

PS - I did counter clockwise loop.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 3

1st of all, i would not want to rent Ford Focus for long drive in New Zealand.

Smelly smelly Toyota Camry or Holden Commodore.  It is more comfortable.

I rem NZ also got road train.

• Praise 3

Hi All, I am planning a roadtrip to NZ South Island in early Dec, for 12days. Only 2 of us, both drivers who love to drive, we did a roadtrip to Tasmania before. Long distance driving isn't an issue for us. I recently drove from Terengganu to JB, over 500km, with only a half hr break in between, and I found it enjoyable.  

This would be our second trip to NZ, last one was 19years ago on package tour. We prefer to do easy walks/treks in scenic places hence have planned more of trekking this time. Have done White Water Rafting, Jetboating, Gondola, Luge in previous trip hence would skip these.

Planned itinerary (accommodation all pre-booked, train tickets booked, rental car booked):

Day 1 Reach Christchurch about 1pm. Drive to Kaikoura. Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway at least 3 hrs walk.

Day 2 Whalewatching at Kaikoura at 7am, for 3.5hrs. Depart Kaikoura by noon for 400km Drive to Lake Tekapo. [This would mean if weather condition not favourable for the whalewatching, we won't have time to reschedule it. Wondering if I should cancel the accommodation at Lake Tekapo and plan somewhere nearer to Kaikoura instead. Have done whalewatching in Taiwan and Tasmania before, so far have not experienced any seasickness even in choppy water, so hopefully driving after that won't pose a problem.]

Day 3 Lake Tekapo sightseeing for a short while. Drive to Mount Cook and do Hooker Valley Track. Drive to Queensberry to rest for the night.

Day 4-6 Queensberry to Te Anau, where we will spend 3 nights. Plan to do Doubtful Sound Day Cruise, Milford Sound Cruise with Milford Discovery Centre & Underwater Observatory, Te Anau Glow Worm Cave, Tutoko Valley River Hike, Key Summit Trail. [Hope to start driving by 7am and reach Milford Sound by 9am to take one of the earliest cruises, to avoid the busloads of tourists from QT. After that do the Tutoko Valley River Hike for 6hrs before heading back to Te Anau by nightfall. Possible?]

Day 7 Set off from Te Anau at 7am (check out time of our motel), drive to Queenstown. Probably reach QT by 11am. Sky Dive if weather permits. Squeeze in a 4hr LOTR Scenic Half Day Tour if possible.

Day 8 Depart QT for Rob Roy Glacier Track, Blue Pools Walk. Spend night at Makarora Mountainview.

Day 9-10 Drive from Makarora to Franz Josef. Spend 2 days in Franz Josef. Plan to do Heli Hike, short day walks (Lake Matheson Mirror Lake Walk, Roberts Point Walking Track).

Day 11 Drive from Franz Josef to Greymouth Railway Stn. Take TranzAlpine from Greymouth to Christchurch.

We just booked a Ford Focus with Apex, at NZ49/day including zero excess. Think it was a special rate as a Yaris rental is NZ37 or so a day (excluding zero excess which cost about NZ20 a day). 

Qns:

1. I checked that Sunrise in Dec would be before 6am and Sunset after 9pm (9.11-9.27+-). Would there be enough daylight to drive between 7am and 8.30pm?

2. I believe shops and restaurants may not open till too late? Hence better to plan for early dinner say about 5pm?

Would appreciate some tips/advice/recommendations regarding the planned itinerary and questions above. Thank you!             [:)]

We were there in South Island last December!

However, we went anti-clockwise from Christchurch-Greymouth-Frank Josef-Queenstown-Wanaka-Lake Tekapo-Christchurch. I think most vistors do the clockwise like what you intend to do. We didn't cover the south-eastern part of the island.

The first half of the trip was on train and tour buses and the second half self-drive on a Corolla (for its reliability). The reason was we were in NZ for the first time and wanted to experience the road conditions and traffic first. We did rent a Yaris for one day while at Greymouth just to visit Punakaiki to see the Pancake Rocks and to listen to the Blowholes.

We went in December because daylight was the longest from 5am to 9pm. We wanted to avoid driving at night.

Some of the meals were settled in our hotel rooms. There are plenty of supermarkets that we bought bread, spreads, noodles, milk, etc.; cooked food at eateries were a little more expensive than in Singapore. Restaurants in Qtn and Chc do open into the night as these are big cities.

Hope you have booked your air tickets too. I suppose you know closer to year-end prices will go up.

Enjoy your trip!

• Praise 2

1st of all, i would not want to rent Ford Focus for long drive in New Zealand.

Smelly smelly Toyota Camry or Holden Commodore. It is more comfortable.

I rem NZ also got road train.

Yup get at least a 4 wheel drive.
  • Praise 1

My path was Christchurch/Tekapo/Wanaka/Queenstown/Milford Track/Dunedin/Kaikoura/Picton/Nelson.

I rented a Ford Falcon XR6 and Commodore to traverse South Island. Many uphill climbs where the extra power comes in handy. Also the power made it easy to overtake trailers safely on dual-carriageway roads. Reminder that the speed limits are very strict, especially in town limits. 1 MPH over also get pulled over. Every corner is preceded with a recommended speed to take. Can exceed by a bit if conditions are good.

Best place to rent and return car is at the airport. When accept and return car, go through the dents carefully with the staff. Do not do a key drop-off return. Apex cars are older, and so they are not so sticky when it comes to scratches and nicks. Budget is very sticky on scratches and dents and will bill you for all cosmetic repairs.  

Kaikoura was devastated by a massive earthquake. Not sure what is left. The waterfall where the juvenile seals plays is permanently closed. Eat the crayfish is Kaikoura.

Check the weather forecast every night, and be prepared to change itinerary to follow the sun. If your accommodation is pre-booked way in advance, then you are a prisoner to your itinerary. Since it is adults only drive, then you can look for lodgings in the place you are comfortable to stay the night at. Walk in motels and B&B cost about $100 to $120 for a twin. You need not follow your itinerary, but chop and change for the best experience. Night driving is not so safe as the roads are winding, narrow and pitch dark. 

If weather is bad, skip Franz Josef. I planned to go there, but weather was so bad that I went south east to Dunedin instead on a whim. Never regretted that decision as next night saw on news that tourists at Franz Josef had to be air rescued. Could have been me.

No plans to do Nelson/Picton for the wine and mussels?

• Praise 5

Qns:

Would appreciate some tips/advice/recommendations regarding the planned itinerary and questions above. Thank you! [:)]

I also rented from apex. Got a Toyota collora sedan although I wanted a hatch. Did a anti clock wise direction from CC - Hotikita - wanaka - Queenstown - twizel - CC

The road on NZ are well paved and I don't recall there was any attractions that required to drive on unpaved gravel Road or off road driving. Don't really feel 4WD is a must to drive in the NZ summer. I drove in May which was in autumn and longest drive was from Hotikita to wanaka. Took more than 5 hours including a few breaks in between to reach.

U mentioned going to Rob Roy. Do check with the rental clause from apex as I recalled the route might be prohibited by the rental company.

As for hooker Valley. Couldn't do the hike as it was closed before the 1st bridge due to some damages. Not so sure whether any repairs being done. Probably should be good to go by coming Dec. Quite disappointed to skip this as I was looking forward this easy hike after doing Roy peak.

• Praise 1

Qns:

I was there early last Dec. 

I would say the choice of vehicle is important and dependent on your routes as they may includes winding roads. 

An example would be from Queenstown towards Arrow Junction Lookout Point - Crown Range Rd.  it is winding and uphill. 

As most of the roads are single lane,  the challenges are the big transport truck and tour coaches. 

Also,  do have some contingency as it was flooding the week before I was there. 

P.S.  If have a choice, don't take the Hyundai iMax.   [laugh]

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 2

Qns:

You sound experienced with such trips.

We also went to South Island last Dec. But we had 6 (teen kids and elderly parents) so we planned it less ambitious - less packed, less rushed, less daring...

and we also did the counter-clockwise route.

The 2 highlights of our trip was the heli ride up the Glacier at Franz Josef and Milford Sound. Heli ride was v expensive for 6 of us, but it was experience of a life-time for us, probably.

There are trekkers trekking up the glacier too, and since you're interested in trekking, is that an option? But i have zero knowledge of what it entails, and would suggest you find out whether it's safe/easy to do so.

Dec is like you said, long day time. 6 am to 8.30 pm would be safe to assume got sunlight, so as not to push the 9 pm limit too close. Shopping centres only stay open longer on one day, I think is Thur, else they close around 5/6 pm. restaurants and eateries stay open later. For us we bought groceries and cooked in our AirBnB for quite a few nights, and one night ta-bao'ed pizza and finger food. And also went to restaurants for proper dinner twice, as well as ate at food courts.

Few things to take note of for NZ driving:

1) NZ got lots of no-signal land. Make sure you download off-line maps before your trip. Else you might panic if you're using Google Map on your local NZ SIM card (i'm assuming you will be getting one), and discover that you got no signal in all those outskirt areas.

2) NZ got lots of narrow bridges, and these are good for only one-way traffic. So traffic from one direction will stop and allow the opposing direction traffic to cross first, before this side cross when clear. And it is NOT up to discretion. There are signs on the road approaching the bridges, that show whether you have the right of way, or does that belong to the opposing direction.

3) Flashing of headlight is meant to tell the vehicle in front that you are giving way to let him go. This is unlike here when flashing headlight is a warning to ask him to be careful/give way, etc.

4) The long long long roads there are usually single-lane each direction. The lane markings clearly indicate:

- which stretch strictly no overtaking from either direction

- which stretch only the traffic direction you're on, can overtake slower vehicle in front of you (and not the opposing direction's traffic)

- which stretch the opposing direction's traffic can overtake, but not your direction

- which stretch both directions can overtake

5) When got no indications, the speed limit is 100 km/h on those long long roads. Often no other vehicles around, so drive is v (too) peaceful. Then out of the blue, the road might have some sharp turns if it's nearing some mountainous areas, and there should be speed warning signs before. If the signs show, eg. 40 km/h after a long straight stretch, there is a good reason for it. Must slow down, cos it's almost certainly approaching a sharp turn or up/down slope, or a combination. But at least Dec is usually dry so road is not slippery; still, dun take risk.

6) Parking in the cities: unlike the outskirts where parking is free, and free for all, city or town areas, either pay $$ or must follow guidelines. Initially i was blur and just played safe and parked far far away in unmarked zones (means free) and walked. Then l learnt that when there are parking lots marked out, and there are signs there/nearby with a P and some numbers below, that shows you how long (minutes) you can park there without paying. I've no idea how they keep track of whether you're obeying or not, but better don't take chances. The signs look like this:

post-17508-0-59018500-1565667536.jpg

Hope these are helpful, and pardon me if you already know these. I didn't, before i went there... [sweatdrop]

• Praise 6

Few things to take note of for NZ driving:

1) NZ got lots of no-signal land. Make sure you download off-line maps before your trip. Else you might panic if you're using Google Map on your local NZ SIM card (i'm assuming you will be getting one), and discover that you got no signal in all those outskirt areas.

2) NZ got lots of narrow bridges, and these are good for only one-way traffic. So traffic from one direction will stop and allow the opposing direction traffic to cross first, before this side cross when clear. And it is NOT up to discretion. There are signs on the road approaching the bridges, that show whether you have the right of way, or does that belong to the opposing direction.

3) Flashing of headlight is meant to tell the vehicle in front that you are giving way to let him go. This is unlike here when flashing headlight is a warning to ask him to be careful/give way, etc.

4) The long long long roads there are usually single-lane each direction. The lane markings clearly indicate:

- which stretch strictly no overtaking from either direction

- which stretch only the traffic direction you're on, can overtake slower vehicle in front of you (and not the opposing direction's traffic)

- which stretch the opposing direction's traffic can overtake, but not your direction

- which stretch both directions can overtake

5) When got no indications, the speed limit is 100 km/h on those long long roads. Often no other vehicles around, so drive is v (too) peaceful. Then out of the blue, the road might have some sharp turns if it's nearing some mountainous areas, and there should be speed warning signs before. If the signs show, eg. 40 km/h after a long straight stretch, there is a good reason for it. Must slow down, cos it's almost certainly approaching a sharp turn or up/down slope, or a combination. But at least Dec is usually dry so road is not slippery; still, dun take risk.

6) Parking in the cities: unlike the outskirts where parking is free, and free for all, city or town areas, either pay $$ or must follow guidelines. Initially i was blur and just played safe and parked far far away in unmarked zones (means free) and walked. Then l learnt that when there are parking lots marked out, and there are signs there/nearby with a P and some numbers below, that shows you how long (minutes) you can park there without paying. I've no idea how they keep track of whether you're obeying or not, but better don't take chances. The signs look like this:

attachicon.gifparking.jpg

Hope these are helpful, and pardon me if you already know these. I didn't, before i went there... [sweatdrop]

Awesome tips - Really useful stuff for people planning to drive on NZ Roads. 

Just to add on to some of the points: 

1) Maps - You'll never go round relying on the good old-fashioned paper maps. You should be able to get them free from those Tourist Centres. If not, pop by some gas station or a bookstore (e.g. Whitcoulls etc.) and buy one, they don't cost much but they're a great help, especially when there is no GPS or signal in the countryside. 

2) One-Lane Bridges - To be safe, whether you see a car coming down the opposite side or not, just come to a stop to check, or give way and let them pass. Sometimes, it is possible both of you might assume that each other will give way, or sometimes even, there might be a chance you might encounter that split-second blind spot where you miss seeing the opposite car head up the bridge. I personally encountered the second scenario; And suddenly it was both cars on the bridge on a collision course, just narrowly avoiding each other but at the expense of a knock on my left side front fender against the bridge. 

3) Flashing of Headlight - As in Australia, flashing of headlights also denotes a warning that there's an upcoming speed trap, so drive with caution. NZ Police are very adept at positioning themselves at points where you will invariably be accelerating fast (Example, over a hill leading to a down slope, or off-ramps of small branch roads along State Highway One). And yes, they do have a presence in urban centres as well, along most main roads leading in/out of the city. 

Road Manners - Anytime people give way to you, always return the gesture with appreciation - Wind down your windows and give a wave of acknowledgement or thumbs up. The power of positive hand gestures is pretty much a way of life; And unlike in SG, most people would actually slow down to give way to you rather than speed up to block you. 

4) Speed Limits - In the city / town areas, keep to below 60km/h. 

5) Parking in Cities - The Parking Wardens are always on the ball and don't think that since there is no indication of what time you park, they won't know how long you've parked there. Some parking lots will have the ticketing machines nearby, so you're expected to put in the money and print out the ticket and display it. Others also have the old fashion coin machine which will slowly count down and indicate how much time you've left. Note that you are expected to vacate the lot after the stipulated time and you will still be fined even if you extend the time through the coin or ticket machine. 

Their old-fashioned way of keeping track is usually to mark a certain spot on one of your tyres with a chalk-line mark. They will go back to the location frequently to check so if the chalk mark is still there, you have obviously exceeded the time and they will fine you.

Overall, NZ is a really great place to drive - Friendly drivers, pretty decent roads and wonderful scenery too! Hope this helps too!

• Praise 3

Awesome tips - Really useful stuff for people planning to drive on NZ Roads. 

Just to add on to some of the points: 

1) Maps - You'll never go round relying on the good old-fashioned paper maps. You should be able to get them free from those Tourist Centres. If not, pop by some gas station or a bookstore (e.g. Whitcoulls etc.) and buy one, they don't cost much but they're a great help, especially when there is no GPS or signal in the countryside. 

2) One-Lane Bridges - To be safe, whether you see a car coming down the opposite side or not, just come to a stop to check, or give way and let them pass. Sometimes, it is possible both of you might assume that each other will give way, or sometimes even, there might be a chance you might encounter that split-second blind spot where you miss seeing the opposite car head up the bridge. I personally encountered the second scenario; And suddenly it was both cars on the bridge on a collision course, just narrowly avoiding each other but at the expense of a knock on my left side front fender against the bridge. 

3) Flashing of Headlight - As in Australia, flashing of headlights also denotes a warning that there's an upcoming speed trap, so drive with caution. NZ Police are very adept at positioning themselves at points where you will invariably be accelerating fast (Example, over a hill leading to a down slope, or off-ramps of small branch roads along State Highway One). And yes, they do have a presence in urban centres as well, along most main roads leading in/out of the city. 

Road Manners - Anytime people give way to you, always return the gesture with appreciation - Wind down your windows and give a wave of acknowledgement or thumbs up. The power of positive hand gestures is pretty much a way of life; And unlike in SG, most people would actually slow down to give way to you rather than speed up to block you. 

4) Speed Limits - In the city / town areas, keep to below 60km/h. 

5) Parking in Cities - The Parking Wardens are always on the ball and don't think that since there is no indication of what time you park, they won't know how long you've parked there. Some parking lots will have the ticketing machines nearby, so you're expected to put in the money and print out the ticket and display it. Others also have the old fashion coin machine which will slowly count down and indicate how much time you've left. Note that you are expected to vacate the lot after the stipulated time and you will still be fined even if you extend the time through the coin or ticket machine. 

Their old-fashioned way of keeping track is usually to mark a certain spot on one of your tyres with a chalk-line mark. They will go back to the location frequently to check so if the chalk mark is still there, you have obviously exceeded the time and they will fine you.

Overall, NZ is a really great place to drive - Friendly drivers, pretty decent roads and wonderful scenery too! Hope this helps too!

Hope these can benefit whoever is going there for the first time, and don't know anything about driving there.

Tourists are likely to go there max about 2 weeks, and maybe once in many years, or once in their life, so might not likely be familiar, or have friends who might tell them. So they are likely to learn it the hard way when actually there.

If there are useful tips that they can easily pick up, should make it a more pleasant experience for them when there.

• Praise 1

Hope these can benefit whoever is going there for the first time, and don't know anything about driving there.

Tourists are likely to go there max about 2 weeks, and maybe once in many years, or once in their life, so might not likely be familiar, or have friends who might tell them. So they are likely to learn it the hard way when actually there.

If there are useful tips that they can easily pick up, should make it a more pleasant experience for them when there.

Yes, driving there would certainly be a welcome break from the grind of daily driving in Singapore for sure, so any further tips to enjoy the experience will hopefully go a long way in making it a more positive experience. I can only hope that no Singaporeans bring their bad driving habits over there. I can assure you it will not be well-received and these bad apples will end up spoiling the market for the rest.

Just to add on another point: 

6) Roundabouts (Or what we call 'Circus') - NZ is full of roundabouts, within the city area, country towns or at major exits of highways that lead to different suburbs. It is always essential to familiarise oneself on how to navigate and filter through the roundabout without cutting into someone's path to get to your respective exit point. Signals are very important to let people know which direction/path you're taking as the kiwi drivers will take their cues from there so any mis-signalling could potentially put you on a collision course. There is no controlled junction within the roundabout like in Newton Circus. 

• Praise 1

Driving in nz South Island is very easy. Cos not many cars even in city. Manageable plus same side as us. Just to take note, driving in winter and without light. Plus petrol station in winter on small town close at 5pm. So if u go in summer, likely no issue.

In NZ it is rude to honk at slow moving traffic, or to overtake dangerously. When you encounter slow moving campers and Winniebago (locally they are called RV or recreational vehicles) , just follow at their speed until come to overtaking lane. They will automatically pull to the left to let faster traffic through. 

Overtake at dual-carriageways when it is safe to do so i.e can see very far in front and it is clear of on-coming cars.

The cars there tend to drive with lights on even during the day on the highways for visibility to oncoming. You should do the same.  

• Praise 1

ok ok my turn

planning a 12 day trip to south island (excluding fly in/out) in end Nov 2020

8 pax - so will be renting 2 6-berth RVs for the trip (for space/comfort and of course the RV feel)

have not decided on the finer itinerary details but will try to keep driving to a max of 3-4hrs max a day

will have young kids in the group so will spend on luxuries of powered campsites with hot showers and gas BBQ for cooking

any tips on RV camping for a 12 day south island trip will be much appreciated!

Edited by Wildfaye29
add info
↡ Advertisement