Advice needed for New Zealand road trip

Bluepica

2 hours ago, serenade said:

If not for the damm Covid closing the borders, this year I would have tramped Hooker Valley, Roy's Peak, Mt Aspiring Park and Abel Tasman. 

go once the borders open

i told myself i won't go back to NZ unless i can stay for at least 3-4 mths.

↡ Advertisement

NZ is really a beautiful place..

Great place for a relaxing trip..

Really a place where you can forget all the worldly problems and soak in the natural & positive vibes..

The water there is really very pure..better than flower water ..

Can really feel damn refreshing after every shower..unlike here with Newater 😂

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

13 hours ago, Shibadog said:

tongairo crossing is a semi alpine track which is not recommended for people who are not used to alpine conditions. 

i spent quite a bit of time on the mountain/volcano. Different slopes have different landscapes. I kena a hailstorm once when i was alone on the desert side in the southern side during summer lol. Also kena whiteout conditions when tramping near the ski field in spring. it's one of those places where u often encounter 4 seasons in a day.

Looks like I missed a lot ……. But I guess safety comes first when the local weather bureau does not recommend …… BTW which month did you go there ??

17 hours ago, Shibadog said:

go once the borders open

i told myself i won't go back to NZ unless i can stay for at least 3-4 mths.

Stay in NZ for 3-months to tramp was my plan for 2021. Then the Covid hit in 2020 ....................

Hint : If you cannot spare 3 months, you can do mini-NZ in Tasmania for a month. Over 60 beautiful short walks scattered all over the island. Most of which are within 3 hours drive from the 2 largest cities of Hobart and Launceston. Snow (Cradle Mountains and Central Highlands), forests (Franklin-Gordon), beaches (Wineglass Bay) and water (Tasman island).

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, serenade said:

Stay in NZ for 3-months to tramp was my plan for 2021. Then the Covid hit in 2020 ....................

Hint : If you cannot spare 3 months, you can do mini-NZ in Tasmania for a month. Over 60 beautiful short walks scattered all over the island. Most of which are within 3 hours drive from the 2 largest cities of Hobart and Launceston. Snow (Cradle Mountains and Central Highlands), forests (Franklin-Gordon), beaches (Wineglass Bay) and water (Tasman island).

For Tas, can you elaborate more…

TIA🙏🏻🙇‍♀

@Freeder  Too much to say. What do you want to know? I have done two month long trips there, and I still want to go back again. I will not get tired of the place. Spoiler alert : Besides for Hobart, city lovers will not like Tasmania.  

3 hours ago, Freeder said:

Any sample itinerary for a 2-3 weeks tour of Tas? Like best time to visit ? Cold and warm seasons? TIA

1.There are no international flights to TAS. The easiest way in is via Melbourne, then take a 1/1.5 hr domestic flight. Flight is short, but time is wasted in the connection

2. Can go anytime. The character changes. If go in winter, be prepared for a very cold time. Concentrate on Hobart as it transforms into an arts centre in winter with mainly indoor attractions. Can make a trip to Cradle Mountain in winter to play with ice and see snow-scapes.

3. Spring, summer, autumn are much the same. The must visits are Tasman Island, Cradle Mountain and Wineglass Bay. If you like trekking, then add Mount Fields, Bruny Island, Maria Island day trips. If have time to go to the wild west, Franklin Gordon River is a nice change. If you are a hard-core trekker, then do the mulit-day Three-Capes Walk and/or the Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair hikes.

4. Best way to see Tasmania is self-drive. Little traffic but the roads are narrow, windy and pitch dark at nights. Drive with caution. Rent the car direct from Hobart or Launceston airport. In small towns, petrol stations do not open on weekends. 

5. If you are motor sports fan, The historic Symmons Plains Raceway hosts the Australian Super V8 series in early part of the year. The track is very accessible from Launceston

6. Chinese food is barely passable and expensive. Best to eat steaks, lamb and fish & chips which are all excellent. Not cheap, but the portions are big

7. Hotels and Inns are reasonable priced. Air BnB are also available in towns and cities and beach areas  

• Praise 3

On 11/17/2021 at 11:00 AM, serenade said:

If you are fit and love natural scenery, the 5-day Milford Track is highly recommended. You will be walking through regions that are pristine and untouched. To the extent that hikers and operators carry out all their rubbish. Even sweet wrapper and cig butts consumed on the track are not to be left behind, but kept and brought out. Hikers leave behind footprints. Plus pee and poo in long drop natural composting toilets.

I highly recommend this.. but do prepare...

It rained so much during my walk the river banks broke, we were heli-vac to the first pit stop and continued from there.

A really lovely walk and if you take the premium package, you get hot meals and a bunk at night. 
Don't bother bringing a lot of clothes. Essentially one set for sleeping, lots of socks, and wear the same shirt for the walks because you will sweat in it. Waterproof jacket, breathable shirts and a good camera that can resist water / rain will be good. 

On 11/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, Freeder said:

Any sample itinerary for a 2-3 weeks tour of Tas? Like best time to visit ? Cold and warm seasons? TIA

That's a totally different country bro, but I've been there many times.

1 week might be ok unless you really like walking and such.

You can spend the other week in Mel or Syd. Apart from the two main cities, do the Overland Walk or just walk around lake St Claire. The weather is unpredictable, so come prepared for rain and even snow. 

Also bring a good camera and lots of water. There is a nice lodge, if you have some spare $$, but the bunks are fine too. Do note they do get cold at night.

In Hobart, enjoy the fish and chips right at the pier, the real way to do it with the wind in your hair. There are a few boutique hotels near the piers which are really nice. 
Ride a bike down Mt Wellington, a fast ride but exhilarating. Drink some beer on the way down at their brewery. 

• Praise 4

Was thinking of doing NZ in winter... advisable? Or it really just rains a lot? Cos I think it's low season and cheaper to spend a month there... plan is to drive from North Island - Auckland to Wellington, return car, and cross to South Island by ferry and pick up car and drive... return from Christchurch...

26 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Was thinking of doing NZ in winter... advisable? Or it really just rains a lot? Cos I think it's low season and cheaper to spend a month there... plan is to drive from North Island - Auckland to Wellington, return car, and cross to South Island by ferry and pick up car and drive... return from Christchurch...

Can your family stand cold?

In addition, sunlight is shorter.  Need to buffer more travelling time.

52 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Winter if rain is sibeiiiiiiiii sian.

Went to Lake Tekapo hoping to see magnificent scenery. Then it rained the whole day I was there…DLLM. 😒

I think that day one can probably hear the loudest KNN across lake tekapo.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Haha! 2

Winter less people

rates cheaper

days shorter and colder- driving distances can be pretty far and you may not be comfortable driving in the dark

rain can be like London. An annoying and persistent rain 

see if that bothers you. 

16 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Can your family stand cold?

In addition, sunlight is shorter.  Need to buffer more travelling time.

Actually I don't know... I can take it... but my wife not sure... it will be her first winter... also my kids... ha ha... but as a coupe we've been to the Alps in Switzerland right up to Jungfrau, etc... I think she was ok... but that wasn't long... just half a day or so... kids not tested... all COVID babies...

Just now, teomingern said:

Actually I don't know... I can take it... but my wife not sure... it will be her first winter... also my kids... ha ha... but as a coupe we've been to the Alps in Switzerland right up to Jungfrau, etc... I think she was ok... but that wasn't long... just half a day or so... kids not tested... all COVID babies...

I will advise going on late winter or early spring 

August to September,

I went to NZ in September.  There is still some snow.

In Queenstown, there are a lot of activities we can't do due to rain.

↡ Advertisement