Advice needed for New Zealand road trip

Bluepica

2 hours ago, teomingern said:

That sounds good cos that is what I would like to experience... Only issue is if right down south at Milford Sound, Homer's Pass, Dunedin, Invercargill, if the roads will ice and be impassable. Feb is totally impossible... it's school holidays for me only now that my number 1 is going to school next year... 

Wow! Kathmandu is nice stuff... But 50% off still expensive for me... Me, I'm a Decathlon guy... Cheap and good... Hahaha... My wife prefers Uniqlo... But we have never been for winter so want to ask if either is good enough for sub-zero...

If you want to save, borrow good gear from friends or just hang around town and the lower altitudes. Anyway, it's warmer year end because it's summer... seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere bro... 

↡ Advertisement

On 12/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, therock said:

I highly recommend this.. but do prepare...

It rained so much during my walk the river banks broke, we were heli-vac to the first pit stop and continued from there.

A really lovely walk and if you take the premium package, you get hot meals and a bunk at night. 
Don't bother bringing a lot of clothes. Essentially one set for sleeping, lots of socks, and wear the same shirt for the walks because you will sweat in it. Waterproof jacket, breathable shirts and a good camera that can resist water / rain will be good. 

bad weather there is really a different league compared to here. 

one tramp i took in Spring was just me and a kiwi chap. Supposed to be a medium difficulty 3D2N into the mountain forest trails, first day started in the late afternoon. Was supposed to reach the overnight hut in a couple of hours but due to heavy rain, the trail was waterlogged, with mud going up to my knees, lots of deadfall blocking the path and at 10pm or so we eventually had to turn back to the start point where we took shelter in the toilet hut. Slept on the concrete floor in our sleeping bags but mine was a summer one meant for sleeping in a proper camp hut with bunkbed. The other guy was better equipped, with a goosedown sleeping bag and camping foam mattress roll. I literally felt the heat draining from my body into the concrete floor. Zero sleep that night. Hypothermia was a real risk. Shivered so much i got up to start a fire and boil water for instant packet soup to keep warm.

Next day had to do a long detour to another trail to reach the 2nd night hut that was planned. Took us abt 15hrs instead of the original plan of 7hrs iirc. The kiwi dude was bouncing like a mountain goat while i had to draw deep on my reserves to keep up. He did most of the navigating while i simply gritted my teeth n pushed on. 

fortunately the 3rd day was an easy 4 or 5 hour trek to the exfil point. At the end of the trip, the kiwi dude was telling the rest of the tramping club (who had came to meet us at the exfil point) that this was one of the hardest he'd done. And he was surprised i didn't crack lol. 

such incidents really highlight the importance of good, lightweight gear for the climate. My gear (and backpack) were inferior and to add insult to injury, heavier!

• Praise 3

11 hours ago, therock said:

If you want to save, borrow good gear from friends or just hang around town and the lower altitudes. Anyway, it's warmer year end because it's summer... seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere bro... 

I was asking about going in June bro... that's winter there... cheers...

11 hours ago, Shibadog said:

bad weather there is really a different league compared to here. 

one tramp i took in Spring was just me and a kiwi chap. Supposed to be a medium difficulty 3D2N into the mountain forest trails, first day started in the late afternoon. Was supposed to reach the overnight hut in a couple of hours but due to heavy rain, the trail was waterlogged, with mud going up to my knees, lots of deadfall blocking the path and at 10pm or so we eventually had to turn back to the start point where we took shelter in the toilet hut. Slept on the concrete floor in our sleeping bags but mine was a summer one meant for sleeping in a proper camp hut with bunkbed. The other guy was better equipped, with a goosedown sleeping bag and camping foam mattress roll. I literally felt the heat draining from my body into the concrete floor. Zero sleep that night. Hypothermia was a real risk. Shivered so much i got up to start a fire and boil water for instant packet soup to keep warm.

Next day had to do a long detour to another trail to reach the 2nd night hut that was planned. Took us abt 15hrs instead of the original plan of 7hrs iirc. The kiwi dude was bouncing like a mountain goat while i had to draw deep on my reserves to keep up. He did most of the navigating while i simply gritted my teeth n pushed on. 

fortunately the 3rd day was an easy 4 or 5 hour trek to the exfil point. At the end of the trip, the kiwi dude was telling the rest of the tramping club (who had came to meet us at the exfil point) that this was one of the hardest he'd done. And he was surprised i didn't crack lol. 

such incidents really highlight the importance of good, lightweight gear for the climate. My gear (and backpack) were inferior and to add insult to injury, heavier!

Great anecdote bro... but with two small kids and wife, I do the touristy things lar... must adjust for them... you really very gungho yeah! Credit your NS training...

Edited by teomingern

20 minutes ago, teomingern said:

I was asking about going in June bro... that's winter there... cheers...

Bring warm clothes then

if you’re not used to it, cold miserable weather can ruin a trip 

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, therock said:

Bring warm clothes then

if you’re not used to it, cold miserable weather can ruin a trip 

Don't do that if you are moving in and out of indoor places.

It will be better to buy a really good down jacket, like Moncler.

It will end up not warm enough (outdoor) or too hot (indoor)

14 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Don't do that if you are moving in and out of indoor places.

It will be better to buy a really good down jacket, like Moncler.

It will end up not warm enough (outdoor) or too hot (indoor)

A down jacket is not good when being active outdoors and might get caught in the rain. Down when dry is bulky. If it rains, becomes soggy and takes a long time to dry.

I dress with 1 layer ski-type athletic undershirt. Then 1 merino wool shirt , then a Gore-tex wind-proof and rain-proof breathable jacket which is thin. Good enough for 5 degrees. If it gets even colder, I add gloves, scarf and a beanie. Can stand to zero. When go into a heated restaurant, I just remove the outer layer and I am comfortable.

Wind-proof is very important as heat is trapped within the jacket.

• Praise 6

7 minutes ago, serenade said:

A down jacket is not good when being active outdoors and might get caught in the rain. Down when dry is bulky. If it rains, becomes soggy and takes a long time to dry.

I dress with 1 layer ski-type athletic undershirt. Then 1 merino wool shirt , then a Gore-tex wind-proof and rain-proof breathable jacket which is thin. Good enough for 5 degrees. If it gets even colder, I add gloves, scarf and a beanie. Can stand to zero. When go into a heated restaurant, I just remove the outer layer and I am comfortable.

I forget to mention that scarf is the most important.  Once you keep neck warm (be it 20 deg or -20 deg), you body will always be warm.

When I was living in Beijing, it is just down jacket & T-shirt.  All indoor places are heated.

When I went to Harbin in January, T-shirt, Wool Sweater & Down Jacket.

Sometimes, feet will be very cold even with woollen socks.  Put a heat pack in btw insole and foot.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 2

Scarf very ma fan one except to take nicer photos - more convenient to get a jacket with furry or woolly collar that can be zipped up. Minus 10 degree still nice and warm for the neck. Too hot then just zip down. 

One good jacket and inner wear is all you need. Especially NZ is mostly above freezing. 

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

Scarf very ma fan one except to take nicer photos - more convenient to get a jacket with furry or woolly collar that can be zipped up. Minus 10 degree still nice and warm for the neck. Too hot then just zip down. 

One good jacket and inner wear is all you need. Especially NZ is mostly above freezing. 

If mafan, get a down jacket that covers the neck as well.

A lot of times when we feel cold, it is because of the neck, hand or feet.

Never neglect these parts especially not young.

• Praise 2

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

If mafan, get a down jacket that covers the neck as well.

A lot of times when we feel cold, it is because of the neck, hand or feet.

Never neglect these parts especially not young.

And head too. Especially if botak or soon to be botak. Like me.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, serenade said:

Yep, layering for the win..

They make very good merino wool gear - Icebreakers, but since TS is on a budget he may baulk at the costs.

My advice is to invest in one good set of outer layer eg a Goretex jacket you can wear for wet weather alone, two sets of mid layers of Polar fleece (polartec 300 or 200 minimum) and two or three inner layers such as the Icebreaker 100 layer, or some synthetic quick dry ones. 

A pair of insulated ski pants or a thinner waterproof one plus long johns work too. 
Cotton is not so great for holidays as it takes a while to dry, but it's cheaper.

My Salomon quick dry, which costs around $70 has been with me since 2000 and is still going strong. 

Covering the peripherals is vital as mentioned. Polartec fleece keeps warm even when it's dry. If it's really cold, you'll also need two layers of gloves, one for warmth, the other is waterproof for playing in snow. 

Wear the layers Before you get out into the cold, so there's a chance for the heat to build up in your jacket. 

Kathmandu offers good prices on sale, and is the basic level you need for such cold adventures. As I said, invest in a good set, rather than basic stuff that won't do the job and you end up discarding them. It won't be your last trip unless you will never go out again right?

Now this is the Armani of Goretex jackets and keeps warm well and is suitable as a standalone jacket which I pack for most trips. Like Amex: Don't leave home without it:

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/alpha-sv-jacket

image.thumb.png.89fd0bdf7a261faa4546c618e46d528f.png

• Praise 4

9 hours ago, serenade said:

yes and avoid cotton like the plague 

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I forget to mention that scarf is the most important.  Once you keep neck warm (be it 20 deg or -20 deg), you body will always be warm.

When I was living in Beijing, it is just down jacket & T-shirt.  All indoor places are heated.

When I went to Harbin in January, T-shirt, Wool Sweater & Down Jacket.

Sometimes, feet will be very cold even with woollen socks.  Put a heat pack in btw insole and foot.

i wore a balaclava lol. Can also roll up into a beanie if not super cold/windy. 

but if just wanna protect the neck, i guess a neck warmer is easier to handle than a scarf, for the less fashion-conscious.😁

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

I used a Buff through sandstorms in Nepal, blizzards and -22C weather in China plus a whole host of challenging conditions. Get a Merino Wool version of it, and you're set for most trips.

I even had a green camo one when I was doing reservist duties.. 

• Praise 2

On 12/31/2021 at 1:22 AM, Shibadog said:

if u planning to go alpine areas (above tree line/snow line) in winter the decathlon stuff won't cut it. Esp so in south island. Even in north island, i was wearing low end gear (clothes + sleeping bag) and froze my butt off. Almost got hypothermia one night as i didn't have a sleeping mat to insulate my sleeping bag. No joke.

Thank you! Good advice! But I don't really think I'll be going past the snow line... mostly doing touristy stuff... I was watching this YouTube video channel where they travelled in winter:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lu6WU0N8x6o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It has 23 epsiodes... winter didn't seem too bad even in the South... but then again, this is a vlog... not sure how accurate and how much editing...

No tramping and hiking... more of walks with two young kids and wifey (who doesn't like the rough and tumble stuff)...

↡ Advertisement