Advice needed for New Zealand road trip

Bluepica

I think it's best to work it out with your family on how much will you do and your tolerance for the cold.

Short hops from the car may be fine without the warmest clothes, but most locals aren't used to the cold.. don't find out at 5pm when all the shops are closed or on a weekend in NZ.... then all those savings you tried to make will come to nought when you have to buy a sweater or glove at tourist prices..

You can try to borrow some if you don't think you'll ever need them again or rent..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

On 12/31/2021 at 1:56 PM, serenade said:

A down jacket is not good when being active outdoors and might get caught in the rain. Down when dry is bulky. If it rains, becomes soggy and takes a long time to dry.

I dress with 1 layer ski-type athletic undershirt. Then 1 merino wool shirt , then a Gore-tex wind-proof and rain-proof breathable jacket which is thin. Good enough for 5 degrees. If it gets even colder, I add gloves, scarf and a beanie. Can stand to zero. When go into a heated restaurant, I just remove the outer layer and I am comfortable.

Wind-proof is very important as heat is trapped within the jacket.

That's how I intend to dress after reading up quite a bit... was thinking of using Uniqlo Heat Tech... and then buy wool or synthetic long sleeved shirts from Decathlon, with scarf + neck gaiter and a beanie also from Decathlon... probably waterproof boots from there too... with woollen socks... the wind & water-proof jacket also from Decathlon... and perhaps a puffy jacket from Uniqlo for less cold places or when it's not raining... how about that? Would it do? No hiking, no tramping in the wild... 

On 12/31/2021 at 2:04 PM, inlinesix said:

I forget to mention that scarf is the most important.  Once you keep neck warm (be it 20 deg or -20 deg), you body will always be warm.

When I was living in Beijing, it is just down jacket & T-shirt.  All indoor places are heated.

When I went to Harbin in January, T-shirt, Wool Sweater & Down Jacket.

Sometimes, feet will be very cold even with woollen socks.  Put a heat pack in btw insole and foot.

Yes, I was told that must buy those slim heat packs... can buy easily in Japan... but not sure where to get in Singapore before flying over... I assume it will expensive in NZ...

22 hours ago, therock said:

Yep, layering for the win..

They make very good merino wool gear - Icebreakers, but since TS is on a budget he may baulk at the costs.

My advice is to invest in one good set of outer layer eg a Goretex jacket you can wear for wet weather alone, two sets of mid layers of Polar fleece (polartec 300 or 200 minimum) and two or three inner layers such as the Icebreaker 100 layer, or some synthetic quick dry ones. 

A pair of insulated ski pants or a thinner waterproof one plus long johns work too. 
Cotton is not so great for holidays as it takes a while to dry, but it's cheaper.

My Salomon quick dry, which costs around $70 has been with me since 2000 and is still going strong. 

Covering the peripherals is vital as mentioned. Polartec fleece keeps warm even when it's dry. If it's really cold, you'll also need two layers of gloves, one for warmth, the other is waterproof for playing in snow. 

Wear the layers Before you get out into the cold, so there's a chance for the heat to build up in your jacket. 

Kathmandu offers good prices on sale, and is the basic level you need for such cold adventures. As I said, invest in a good set, rather than basic stuff that won't do the job and you end up discarding them. It won't be your last trip unless you will never go out again right?

Now this is the Armani of Goretex jackets and keeps warm well and is suitable as a standalone jacket which I pack for most trips. Like Amex: Don't leave home without it:

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/alpha-sv-jacket

image.thumb.png.89fd0bdf7a261faa4546c618e46d528f.png

Wah... Arcteryx ah... I also heard of it before... prices make my eyes water... hahaha... already brands like North Face I find really too expensive... polar fleece is good... but hopefully to find budget type... I really don't need for sub-zero temperatures...

1 hour ago, therock said:

I think it's best to work it out with your family on how much will you do and your tolerance for the cold.

Short hops from the car may be fine without the warmest clothes, but most locals aren't used to the cold.. don't find out at 5pm when all the shops are closed or on a weekend in NZ.... then all those savings you tried to make will come to nought when you have to buy a sweater or glove at tourist prices..

You can try to borrow some if you don't think you'll ever need them again or rent..

Good advice bro! Have to source around... hahaha... clothing quite personal lar... so not sure if my family will mind... I guess will have to invest some money... but not prepared to blow a few $K for the whole family... probably will re-use again for Japan winter holiday lar... looking forward to powder snow... never seen it before... the 3 winter trips I most want to go are in order of desire: 1) Scandinavian winter, 2) Japan winter, 3) NZ winter... with NZ being the mildest comparatively, and I thought tht would be a good first try as it's not so extreme... besides being only able to travel mostly in Dec, winter in Scandinavia and Japan not so cold in the earlier part of that month... it's mostly colder in Jan + Feb, and also mostly colder in Jul in NZ from what I understand...

Quality over quantity 

get good ones on sale

synthetic down fill will still keep work in the rain

but you can layer two fleeces with a waterproof goretex jacket as an alternative 

I used a water resistant 800 fill down for my other layer plus a 300 fleece and my inner layer for my -22c trip. 
I use my acteryx jacket with a down 650 fill for my sub zero trips to Iceland for night photo shoots 

they also have a nice local brand which is good value. 
NZ has macpac which will be cheaper but shop in less touristy places for it. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, therock said:

Quality over quantity 

get good ones on sale

synthetic down fill will still keep work in the rain

but you can layer two fleeces with a waterproof goretex jacket as an alternative 

I used a water resistant 800 fill down for my other layer plus a 300 fleece and my inner layer for my -22c trip. 
I use my acteryx jacket with a down 650 fill for my sub zero trips to Iceland for night photo shoots 

they also have a nice local brand which is good value. 
NZ has macpac which will be cheaper but shop in less touristy places for it. 

Sorry bro... but you've got me confused here... what's the 300, 200 650 mean?

Thanks for the tip about MacPac... looks very nice and pricing seems more palatable especially the clearence section... probably have to go to some small town outside of Auckland to get good stuff or just get the clearence stuff in Auckland maybe... 

EDIT: my wife probably fits into kids sizes... hahaha...

Edited by teomingern

4 hours ago, teomingern said:

Good advice bro! Have to source around... hahaha... clothing quite personal lar... so not sure if my family will mind... I guess will have to invest some money... but not prepared to blow a few $K for the whole family... probably will re-use again for Japan winter holiday lar... looking forward to powder snow... never seen it before... the 3 winter trips I most want to go are in order of desire: 1) Scandinavian winter, 2) Japan winter, 3) NZ winter... with NZ being the mildest comparatively, and I thought tht would be a good first try as it's not so extreme... besides being only able to travel mostly in Dec, winter in Scandinavia and Japan not so cold in the earlier part of that month... it's mostly colder in Jan + Feb, and also mostly colder in Jul in NZ from what I understand...

Carouhell got good buys if u search hard enough...

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, teomingern said:

That's how I intend to dress after reading up quite a bit... was thinking of using Uniqlo Heat Tech... and then buy wool or synthetic long sleeved shirts from Decathlon, with scarf + neck gaiter and a beanie also from Decathlon... probably waterproof boots from there too... with woollen socks... the wind & water-proof jacket also from Decathlon... and perhaps a puffy jacket from Uniqlo for less cold places or when it's not raining... how about that? Would it do? No hiking, no tramping in the wild... 

Uniqlo heat tech not bad - whole family use them for Hokkaido winter. Warm enough for us. 

Woollen socks are important. Just one good thick pair is enough. Also got from Uniqlo. No need 2 layers. Boots tend to get too warm. Very uncomfortable with sweaty feet. 

Decathlon is good place to get all you need and reasonably priced. Usually (not sure for Singapore outlets) they indicate what temperature range the gear are good for. 

NZ is not that cold even for winter. 

PS. No vacations 2 years already. Can only talk about it...damn sian! 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

14 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Uniqlo heat tech not bad - whole family use them for Hokkaido winter. Warm enough for us. 

Woollen socks are important. Just one good thick pair is enough. Also got from Uniqlo. No need 2 layers. Boots tend to get too warm. Very uncomfortable with sweaty feet. 

Decathlon is good place to get all you need and reasonably priced. Usually (not sure for Singapore outlets) they indicate what temperature range the gear are good for. 

NZ is not that cold even for winter. 

PS. No vacations 2 years already. Can only talk about it...damn sian! 

Wah thanks! Yeah lor... I don't ask for much... can drive up to Malaysia for a break is good enough lor...

• Haha! 1

14 hours ago, therock said:

For socks

this will be good for trips and reservists too 

https://www.amazon.sg/gp/aw/d/B000V59CX0/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=ARPIJN329XQ0D&psc=1

Wow! Looks like good stuff... but I stand down almost a decade already... ha ha... but still good for trips... the ribbing looks very comfortable...

EDIT: Oops... never read carefully... didn't see it's Thorlos... I owned one pair before... almost indestructible... ha ha...

Edited by teomingern

18 hours ago, therock said:

Downfill

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/blog/demystifying-down-fill-power

Just look it up bro...

bigger number, more warmth

Wah so cheem... ha ha... I think Decathlon's ratings easier to understand... a few questions then:

1. So the Uniqlo puffy jacket is a down jacket?

2. How do you wash your down jacket in Singapore?

3. Can just hang out to dry in the sun? Or must be shaded and in wind only?

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Freeder said:

Carouhell got good buys if u search hard enough...

Oh thanks! Didn't think of that place even... will take a look once we can fly...

10 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Wah so cheem... ha ha... I think Decathlon's ratings easier to understand... a few questions then:

1. So the Uniqlo puffy jacket is a down jacket?

2. How do you wash your down jacket in Singapore?

3. Can just hang out to dry in the sun? Or must be shaded and in wind only?

Thanks!

Check with them bro

I’m not familiar with their jackets. Most likely they use synthetic fill, then just a simple soak and air dry will work if it’s not too dirty 

Bear in mind many washes can remove the waterproof coating eventually 

nikki makes a spray on re coat. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1