Advice needed for New Zealand road trip

Bluepica

8 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

AAS sure say need because they want to earn your money ma. 😁

They cannot say don't need cos if you really need it sure blame them...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, therock said:

Just booked tickets for a quick trip to Queenstown in Feb... any good places for makan?

Cheers

Fergburgers ... but overrated .... 

instagram check in hot spot ... LOL

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, therock said:

Just booked tickets for a quick trip to Queenstown in Feb... any good places for makan?

Cheers

maybe lamb chop, lamb stew n lamb kebab [laugh]

1 minute ago, Jman888 said:

maybe lamb chop, lamb stew n lamb kebab [laugh]

Do you have a place in mind bro?

I gotta buy dinner for my old teacher when I met him there plus a couple of other students.. thanks

It's like my colleague he went to France.

The local Frenchman asked him what he wanted to eat.

He said he wanted to go to Macdonalds.

The Frenchman asked him of all places why Mac's?

He said he wanted to try the original French fries from the country that invented it.

It must be the best.

:D

Edited by Jamesc

I was looking for food when I was in NZ.

Being in a small town there was only 8 restaurants.

Being a Sunday 4 was closed because white people don't like to work on a Sunday.

The other 4 restaurants was operated by Asian people.

Wanting to eat western food my colleague and I went into the only western restaurant opened.

They had roast beef, roast pork and roast chicken operated by very nice Cambodian people.

The roast pork was fantastic with the crunchiest pork cracking.

We enjoyed it so much my colleague order 20 pieces to take back to the hotel and munch while watching TV.

For dinner went to the Chinese restaurant cooked by mainland people and that too was exactly same as how they cook it in China.

So western or asian food cooked by Asian people is very good in NZ.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

hi everyone, trying to plan a campervan trip for 4 to Christchurch this November.

arrival

will arrive on a Sunday at 3pm and thinking of collecting the campervan on Mon morning. the campervan rental will be close to the airport.

any suggestions on location to stay for 1 night close the airport and things to do for 1 evening?

departure

intend to return the campervan on a Tue and fly off on Thur morning. 

i feel it will be to hasty to return and return the campervan on the same day of departure

thinking of changing to a small rental car for 2 days for ease of transport and logistic purpose and for exploring the areas near christchurch. is this a good idea?

any tips on the campervan trip is welcome too!

TIA!

• Praise 2

Small campervans are cramped, sanitation could be tricky and when someone moves, everyone can feel it. 
you can o ku park for the night in certain places and may find it hard to navigate round tight places 

assess the weather for strong cross wings 

good luck

• Praise 2

On 3/26/2023 at 9:54 AM, Wildfaye29 said:

TIA!

This is the most important tip.

Don't eat baked beans in a small cramped campervan

and open the window big big if carrying MIL.

• Haha! 2

On 3/26/2023 at 10:47 AM, Jamesc said:

This is the most important tip.

Don't eat baked beans in a small cramped campervan

and open the window big big if carrying MIL.

i never! travel w my mil

wahaha

• Haha! 1

Campervans are not as romantic as made out to be in the movies when you have to clear the porta-loo. They are also hard to navigate with on narrow and hilly roads with cross-winds. 

If you have young kids with you, you are better off with a RAV4 and spending nights are AirBnB, motels and lodges. After a tiring drive, it is nice to not have to cook and clean up by eating at a restaurant. Then you have a long hot bath and settle in to a warm spacious room with proper beds.

Even the most remote kiwi locations will have lodges nearby that are not too costly. 

IMHO, campervan holidays are for broke university students. Or retired couples who have their own very luxurious camper and just want a peaceful easy holiday. They park at scenic caravan parks for days, and not overnight. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 3/26/2023 at 9:54 AM, Wildfaye29 said:

hi everyone, trying to plan a campervan trip for 4 to Christchurch this November.

arrival

will arrive on a Sunday at 3pm and thinking of collecting the campervan on Mon morning. the campervan rental will be close to the airport.

any suggestions on location to stay for 1 night close the airport and things to do for 1 evening?

departure

intend to return the campervan on a Tue and fly off on Thur morning. 

i feel it will be to hasty to return and return the campervan on the same day of departure

thinking of changing to a small rental car for 2 days for ease of transport and logistic purpose and for exploring the areas near christchurch. is this a good idea?

TIA!

It's a good idea to return the van early especially if you are around cc. It's quite built up and many shops have awnings that extend over the road. I scraped one with my camper and got into a police chase. 

It's also good if you break the monotony of campervan with a 1 night farm/hotel stay, then continue on. After the first few nights you would welcome not having to crawl into bed.  

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2