BMW flees from Tuas Check Point

Camrysfa

Turbocharged

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/man-110-boxes-arrested-not-stopping-tuas-checkpoint

Despite being directed to another area for further checks, he continued driving his luxury car past Tuas Checkpoint, sparking a manhunt by the police.

They found the man and his 7-series BMW sedan almost two hours later at Pioneer North Road and arrested him.The police officers found more 100 boxes and plastic bags packed in the boot and on the passenger seats.

But instead of contraband such as cigarettes or drugs, they contained foodstuff like curry puff and kueh (local pastries).An Immigration & Checkpoints Authority spokesman said yesterday that a 47-year-old Singaporean had arrived at the Tuas Checkpoint from Malaysia at 12.15pm on Tuesday.

"The driver was accorded immigration clearance and proceeded to Customs Red Channel to declare the food products he had brought in from Malaysia.

Checks were conducted on his vehicle and there were some discrepancies in the quantities declared," the spokesman added.

"He was directed to a designated inspection bay for further checks. However, the driver drove off instead."

Under the law, those who wish to bring in processed food such as traditional kueh from Malaysia need to apply for a permit with the Agri-food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore.

The New Paper understands that the suspect had produced a valid import permit, but the quantity of food found in his car did not tally with that stated in the permit.

He is suspected to have driven off because he misunderstood the instructions for further checks, TNP has learnt. It is believed he was directed to another area for the checks because the inspection bay was full, but he apparently misread the signal and drove off.

Not long after the police tracked down the BMW to Pioneer Road North just after 2pm, a 28-year-old man saw the car surrounded by three police vehicles near Nanyang Technological University.

He told Chinese evening daily Shin Min Daily News that the officers were seen carrying boxes of food from the car.

A police dog was seen sniffing at about 110 boxes of various shapes and sizes and about 20 bags containing food stacked by the side of the road. Curry puff, packets of nasi lemak and kueh lapis were seen among the stash of food.

It was only until three hours later that the boxes of food were loaded back into the car, Shin Min reported.

Investigations are ongoing.

Kueh distributors here told TNP that it is common to bring in the food items from Malaysia to sell because of the price difference.

"In Singapore, most places sell 50 pieces of kueh for $20. In Malaysia, they may sell the same quantity for RM15 (S$5.30) to RM18," said a local distributor who declined to be named.

He was surprised that a BMW was used to transport the food items as he had never heard of people using saloon cars for this purpose. "Usually, people use vans because cars are too small to contain all the goods," he said.

20152506_bagillegal_shinmin.jpg?itok=jTO

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Even if he mistake the signal or not or an innocent misunderstanding, it still shows that the causeway can be breached easily.

• Praise 6

Supercharged

Part of 3-for-$1 curry puff syndicate? Thot ICA upgraded the cat's claws thingy? New one also don't work or nobody pressed the button to activate them?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Looks like this guy is innocent or maybe he threw the drugs away but left his kuah as a smoke screen.

Either way, ICA head and minister of home affairs going to have to commit seppuku now.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

it sound so easy to chiong thru immigration.

somemore, two hrs later then found.

no stand-by police unit at immigration?

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Looks like this guy is innocent or maybe he threw the drugs away but left his kuah as a smoke screen.

Either way, ICA head and minister of home affairs going to have to commit seppuku now.

a lot could have happened in the two hours ... esp when it only takes about half an hour to get from one end to another end of SG.

two security breach cases in a row ....

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Seriously, whose fault is it ? Inspection bay was full and directed to another area for inspection. If the other area is an inspection bay then it is understood he needs to stop for an inspection. But if the other area which he was directed to is not an inspection bay, then to fault him for driving off makes no sense. Anybody could have driven off. If that was what happen for the latter, and thereafter being treated like a hunted criminal again makes no sense. Hope the investigation process will be thorough, not only on the number of food products exceed the permit allowable but ought to look into the system as well. [flowerface]

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 1

Mercedes owners happy now - Traditionally Merc cars are used as Taxi's-so i always tell my friend (whom owns a white merc) that if I wave at you on road - [wave] (i might be hailing a taxi)

BMW - now I can tell my friend driving BMW - can i order curry puff from you??

...... just jesting folks.....

Calling @throttle2, use your 911 to carry kueh also. Good biz

Bro needless to say

What do you think i buy a 911 for???

To throw money? To pay $4k road tax?

I started using a MazdaRX7 to bring chicken wings in the late 90s

And then tried using honda civic, rover cabrio, new Volvo, 5er 6er, CLS

But nothing beats a 911 full of chicken wings in the front bonnet.

Becos they never check my front, they think the front is the engine.

Muayhahahahhah

• Praise 6

Supersonic

it sound so easy to chiong thru immigration.

somemore, two hrs later then found.

no stand-by police unit at immigration?

Not the first time the immigration got chiong thru?!

Twincharged

Seriously, whose fault is it ? Inspection bay was full and directed to another area for inspection. If the other area is an inspection bay then it is understood he needs to stop for an inspection. But if the other area which he was directed to is not an inspection bay, then to fault him for driving off makes no sense. Anybody could have driven off.

in Today, it was reported that he "drove off" at 142 kph !!!!!!?????

Bro needless to say

What do you think i buy a 911 for???

To throw money? To pay $4k road tax?

I started using a MazdaRX7 to bring chicken wings in the late 90s

And then tried using honda civic, rover cabrio, new Volvo, 5er 6er, CLS

But nothing beats a 911 full of chicken wings in the front bonnet.

Becos they never check my front, they think the front is the engine.

Muayhahahahhah

why carry chicken wings only?

must carry whole chicken. [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2