Car maintenance in hot weather

Kklee

Just a suggestion for peace of mind.

As higher temperatures are expected, one may wish to consider to do their normal 10k servicing sooner by maybe 1k km.

I would think this would especially apply to major servicing as the coolant is near the end of its useful life and the hot weather is so unkind.

Same goes for ATF change as well.

Prevention is better than cure.

↡ Advertisement

10k imo is already pampered liao. So i guess no need. :chilling:

Unless like my previous ride, suppose to change about 7500km, since using good quality synthetic, drag to above 10k km. [laugh]

i guess best to avoid zhng the car too much and cause overheating

Some inherently runs hot.

Pop up your bonnet and Check your engine - engine oil, coolant (if water need to top up) etc once every two weeks. Make it a good habit and give tlc to your car and it will love you back:)

I have a friend who doesn't pop up the bonnet at all and e only time he will look at his engine is when he goes for servicing which is 6-8mths later. :/

Pop up your bonnet and Check your engine - engine oil, coolant (if water need to top up) etc once every two weeks. Make it a good habit and give tlc to your car and it will love you back:)

I have a friend who doesn't pop up the bonnet at all and e only time he will look at his engine is when he goes for servicing which is 6-8mths later. :/

jialat, I don't know how many months didn't open the bonnet.

come to think of it, I don't know where to find the coolant :a-bang:

• Praise 4

Why would replacing engine oil help? I thought the main job is to lubricate the moving parts. However the ensure sufficient radiator water level is more important as it reduce the overall temperature. But it is a good habit to glance at your temperature indicator once in a while. I manage to catch the temp indicator swing up suddenly once, stop the car and check, there was some leakage near the plastic part on the radiator.

Supersonic

I don't see the need for "extra" maintenance in hot weather.

If in fact, hot, but drier weather is better for a car...less corrosion, less acid formation.

Hot weather is good for the engine coz most engine wear occurs in cold startups. So in our kind of weather we have no worries. Engine gets warmed up pretty quickly.

But other wear and tear parts that are not from the engine may wear faster dan usual under higher temperature.

• Praise 1

Hot weather mostly affects plastic and rubber parts, makes the interior rubberised buttons of some marques sticky in no time.... think Maserati, B...

Check owner's manual.

Mine stated a shorter change interval based on severe usage conditions.

Temperature is one of them.

Why would replacing engine oil help? I thought the main job is to lubricate the moving parts. However the ensure sufficient radiator water level is more important as it reduce the overall temperature. But it is a good habit to glance at your temperature indicator once in a while. I manage to catch the temp indicator swing up suddenly once, stop the car and check, there was some leakage near the plastic part on the radiator.

A function of the engine oil is to cool or remove heat from the engine.

In my observation of my previous car (using Scangauge), when the engine oil is "exhausted" the heat remove is less efficient i.e. slightly higher coolant temperature.

The Scangauge is quite useful, it can indirectly monitor the crank voltage and, in a way, if the cooling system is healthy.

Does the thread starter in the first place know the average temperatures in an NA engine, and in a TC engine?

Hot weather ? :)

I referenced my previous NA from the coolant temperature.

I don't see the need for "extra" maintenance in hot weather.

If in fact, hot, but drier weather is better for a car...less corrosion, less acid formation.

Number one enemy for ATF is heat.

↡ Advertisement