Chevy Malibu 2016

Singxmm

Lol I guess that you guys will buying Malibu as your next ride right.

Hope i can see more new ones on the road.

So far my total count is 1.

I agree the current malibu 2016 in the USA looks good.

The one in SG looks nothing special.

Haha don't tell me you saw me on the road [wave]

Anyway, GM has not decided if the 2016 Malibu will be converted to RHD. Although Chevy brand president did hinted that the 2016 model was designed for easy conversion to RHD if required.

But I must congrat GM for doing such a wonderful RHD conversion to our Malibu, esp they know that RHD Malibu won't be a volume seller worldwide. Their RHD target was basically for the UK market, hence the on board WinCE system was presented in UK English rather than US Englisn. UK buyers are not keen in big sedans and the Malibu feel right into that cat... [laugh]

Compared to many Conti brands, esp the French, whose RHD conversion was laughable... eg, pop the hood from the passenger side?! And no left foot rest with all pedals crowded to the left...  Our RHD Malibu is every bit as well designed as any Japs cars.

The cruise control and audio buttons groups on the steering wheel needs to be swopped though... but that's more of getting used to it than a real design fault.

Am sure the Malibu will sell like hot Cakes if it wears a Mercedes or BMW badge, and retails at double its existing price.

Superb car in every aspect, but victimised for wearing the Chevy badge.

Yup yup

If there's one fault to nit pick, I would say the onboard WinCE powered system operates too slowly liao. Many times my fingers went faster than the system was able to respond. :XD:  The push button parking brake in particular, you need to wait for all existing jobs to clear first before WinCE allows you to release the brake. Else no response de.

↡ Advertisement

Cheefarn,

I saw the photos of your white Knight in your earlier post, and mistook it for a BMW 5 series at first glance.

Except its a lot more reliable and doesnt burn engine oil even when the engine is new [laugh]

And the modest 2.4L LE9 gets better fuel economy than those super high tech BMW engines :XD:

Except its a lot more reliable and doesnt burn engine oil even when the engine is new [laugh]

And the modest 2.4L LE9 gets better fuel economy than those super high tech BMW engines :XD:

Without doubt that the Malibu is superior to the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

" Ultimate" in Bringing More Worries (BMW)

;-)

Just curious, how good is good fuel consumption?

Just curious, how good is good fuel consumption?

U scroll up or go to earlier pages to see my photo on my trip computer.

Its ard 11-12km/L, 70% highway... 11 if I get stuck on reg roads more often.

Seriously its as good if not better than my ex FD1... and FD1 was a 1.8L and weighs <1.3 tons...

Malibu is 2.4L and weighs almost 1.6tons... And I am still on original factory engine oil. Havent gone for 10000km svcs yet

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

The rear resembles the Ford Mustang.

Fierce look.

Balderdash... but it resembles a Chevrolet Camaro!

Which is the intended effect.

Very nice look. If I were in the market for a mid-sized family sedan, this one would be one of the top choice.

I don't like Toyota Camry or Honda Accord  [smash]

The front lamps look like opel insignia.

You may wish to know that the current Opel Insignia shared the same Epsilon II chassis as the Malibu and many parts are shared too.

And although we can't get it in SG, Both Gen 8 and the 2016 Gen 9 Malibu can be ordered with the wonderful 250hp 2L Ecotec Turbo engine in the USA... That engine is also used in the Insignia and it was once offered in SG too.

Now you know why Chevy and Opel are sold together in SG? haha..

The rear resembles the Ford Mustang.

Fierce look.

Actually the 2016 rear mimics the current Corvette according to GM.

While the Gen 8 Malibu tailights we have in SG  mimics the preFL Camaro obviously. All are fully intentional efforts by GM to offer some family resemblence.

front and back design is unique and look fabulous. A class of its own.

cant say that for the side profile though....

The Gen 9 Malibu recieved flak from some auto journalists in the USA for trying to look too Korean. I mean, the rear end does look alot like the Sonata or the new Azera. Although the interior drew praises in general.

Our Gen 8 looks quite nice from the side imo... The classic coke bottle styling thats so in rage during the late 60s is evident in the Gen 8 Malibu... The 2016 model... sadly looses this styling element.

If want to buy the current Malibu better get it now while stocks last coz tiagong the distributor is going to focus more on the Opel brand, I think they are going to bring in more Opel models. The Chevy brand is gonna shrink to just 2 models, one 1.6L sedan and one mpv.

If want to buy the current Malibu better get it now while stocks last coz tiagong the distributor is going to focus more on the Opel brand, I think they are going to bring in more Opel models. The Chevy brand is gonna shrink to just 2 models, one 1.6L sedan and one mpv.

Sounds v unlikely. Chevy is the volume driver for Alpine in Singapore, not Opel.

Sounds v unlikely. Chevy is the volume driver for Alpine in Singapore, not Opel.

I agree. They sold more Chevies than Opel

Reliability of Opels is nowhere near Chevrolet despite sharing many parts... German workmanship cant compete with the Koreans and Americans lah.

My Chevy SE said they can keep the price low mainly becos they dont do much advertising. And the showroom and svcs center are kept simple and spartan...Unlike BM and KM, where the svc center felt like a well renovated house with expensive furniture

Alpine overheads are lower as a result

the trouble is Opel itself doesnt have alot of models to choose from anyway. Alpine already sells over 90% of RHD Opel lineup available in Europe.

Bringing in Astra convertble is not going to make more sales obviously. Opel Mokka is nothing more than a Cruze SUV. Which looked weird btw.

For Chevy, all GM needs to do is to convert the Impala or even the Camaro and Corvette to RHD, and theres 3 more brand new top quality models to choose from. From Thailand, theres the Chevy Trailblazer SUV too. The Colorado pickup is already on sale here.

↡ Advertisement