KKH children emergency

Ysc3

Twincharged

last night brought my 6mth old to KKH at around 10pm + ... high fever 39.6 !!

anyway, he has got better this morning.

just in case, for everyone's info, KKH emergency center is flat fee of $100. including general medicine.

my son did a blood test and urine test and was seen by two different Drs for both tests. all tests came back ok and we were given 2 bottles of panadol solution.

btw, carpark is $2.20 per entry after 6pm ... was there until about 12:30am ... coz waiting for him to pass urine for tests.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

just in case, for everyone's info, KKH emergency center is flat fee of $100. including general medicine.

my son did a blood test and urine test and was seen by two different Drs for both tests. all tests came back ok and we were given 2 bottles of panadol solution.

btw, carpark is $2.20 per entry after 6pm ... was there until about 12:30am ... coz waiting for him to pass urine for tests.

i think all the hospital A&E collect flat fee $100 upfront.

Twincharged

i think all the hospital A&E collect flat fee $100 upfront.

the last time I visited CGH was $80 - 2 years ago ... walk-in .... but dunno any changes so far or not.

I believe they want to discourage most people from going to KKH A&E unless it is really emergency. There are other 24 hour clinics that are cheaper and available.

actually $100 for PD is normal liow ... I just checked some webpages of some private PDs ... about the same charges or even more - in daytime.

and $100 for KKH is more worth it.

I believe they want to discourage most people from going to KKH A&E unless it is really emergency. There are other 24 hour clinics that are cheaper and available.

last i know about 2 yrs ago those 24 hr clinic minimum cost $75, but lesser queue. However, they dun have the observation ward like hospital if you suspect the illness is more serious.

Turbocharged

Same scenario, 6mths old, fever always climb at night. Go KKH. Doc can only observe. Too young for ibuprofen or other med. No blood test for me cos it's not mysterious fever its due to coughing and flu. I remembered I paid 90+, about 1 year ago.

You are lucky. My daughter at 2 months old had fever, probably infected by me. Went into KKH, did sponging, admitted for 3 days to drip antibiotics as precaution, while blood tests were done to check for bacteria infection.

And the price? For 3 days' stay at B2+ ward, it was $1.9k after subsidies!

Not only KKH has children emergency. If you are staying in the west or you find that the queue is too long in KKH can always go to NUH children emergency. The entrance location is right next to the NUH main emergency. Price is the same. For us NUH will be nearer.

Parking for both emergencies usually no issue if late at night and rates are usually lower dan day. Just try to stock up medicine during long weekends and long PH when no clinics are open except emergencies.

its always reassuring knowing that they have the hardware there in case any serious sh!t happens to the child at night.

Went once only(touch wood) but it's not as jialat as i've imagined.

Wishing you son a speedy recovery!

Fever is common among young children. I had to make a couple of late night trips to KKH when my son was still a toddler, mostly for high fever and always have to stay back till 1-2am

It could be due to the hot weather, just make sure he gets enough water or fruit juice.

(edited)

hope TS son recovers soon!

btw, how does infants do urine test? cos obviously they cannot pee into the bottle..

Edited by oleandero

Turbocharged

Not only KKH has children emergency. If you are staying in the west or you find that the queue is too long in KKH can always go to NUH children emergency. The entrance location is right next to the NUH main emergency. Price is the same. For us NUH will be nearer.

Parking for both emergencies usually no issue if late at night and rates are usually lower dan day. Just try to stock up medicine during long weekends and long PH when no clinics are open except emergencies.

Last time we go Changi for emergency -

kid dropped a piano stool on her toe late at night....go for x-ray to make sure ok....

Hypersonic

Personally, for children, it might be wiser to go KK Children's emergency or Alvernia A&E at night if there's something.

24hr clinic for adults is perfectly fine most of the time. But children have to be more careful.

btw, how does infants do urine test? cos obviously they cannot pee into the bottle..

U have to clean the area well, then attach a urine bag with something like double sided tape on the edges.

Then wait ...

Can be tricky to collect especially for girls. Guys a bit easier.

• Praise 1

Dunno what they call it. Its like a pee bag which they attached to the organ and simply wait for them to urinate...

• Praise 1

A&E (in government/restructured hospitals) is always flat fee regardless of procedures/test conducted. That is, doctors' review, X-rays, blood test, any other procedures are all covered under 1 price.

Private hospitals are a different matter altogether.

Personally, for children, it might be wiser to go KK Children's emergency or Alvernia A&E at night if there's something.

24hr clinic for adults is perfectly fine most of the time. But children have to be more careful.

U have to clean the area well, then attach a urine bag with something like double sided tape on the edges.

Then wait ...

Can be tricky to collect especially for girls. Guys a bit easier.

The bag was attached to my girl from 4am to 8am... dunno if it leak or wat... din managed to collect any pee at all. :XD:

end up they only use blood test and release her...

I paid 103. How come yours is 100?

(edited)

While it shouldn't charge so high 'cos it's "government" hospital..... But then, ......

If you stop and think,.....

$100 is worth it....

'cos

1. it includes general and generous medicines.

2. at AOH, where to find cheap clinics?

3. even if you managed to find an opened clinic, what can the vegetable bird doctor manning the clinic do, especially if it's a common illness (but has far reaching consequences) like high fever? Remember, many sickness starts with high fever....

Last time, I gong gong ti ti tut tut, listen to gahment don't "abuse" emergency services, but after few experiences with clinics, the most viable solution for children's "emergency" AOH is to go direct to KKH.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

While it shouldn't charge so high 'cos it's "government" hospital..... But then, ......

If you stop and think,.....

$100 is worth it....

'cos

1. it includes general and generous medicines.

2. at AOH, where to find cheap clinics?

3. even if you managed to find an opened clinic, what can the vegetable bird doctor manning the clinic do, especially if it's a common illness (but has far reaching consequences) like high fever? Remember, many sickness starts with high fever....

Last time, I gong gong ti ti tut tut, listen to gahment don't "abuse" emergency services, but after few experiences with clinics, the most viable solution for children's "emergency" AOH is to go direct to KKH.

A&E fees are higher

1) To deter pple who come in for running nose, cough. A large bulk of the A&E visits are to do with things like this

2) To recoup fee for those who come in with severe things. Anyone can come in severely injured, need to be on ventilator, use all kinda drugs, 20 x-rays but only pay $100 at the end. So it's a subsidy for that person when people who come in for running nose comes in

Fevers have to be careful for children.

Likely the 24hour clinic night doctor is a young doctor who will also play safe and ask you go A&E if fever has been dragging on a few days.

↡ Advertisement