2016 Audi A4 sedan & avant

Sunny

It really does undercut its competitors, probably by 20+k at this point. The 190bhp engine has 2 combustion cycles, one being the regular power producing Otto, and the other is the fuel saving Miller cycle. The Miller cycle opens the exhaust valve a little while the piston is compressing the air so that the compression ratio drops and fuel consumption is down as a result. They claim 150bhp 1.4L consumption in the 190bhp 2.0.

Apart from quattro, you’ll get Virtual cockpit, a larger MMI screen, heads up display and better brakes (I think it’s 4 piston on the front and 2 in the rear, might be single pots in the rear though).

Internally it looks exactly the same. Kinda wish in SG they would throw the B&O in at that price.

For sure you can tune the 190bhp engine. Many B8 1.8T owners have approached 300bhp.

B8 1.8T with 300bhp? sure or not? The engine and front-wheel drive can handle it? Even VAG ony claims 205bhp for their 1.8 tuning. If 1.8T can tune to 300bhp then still need S4 or RS4 for what? Don't just hearsay and take it as the truth. No wonder the other day on the TPE, one aggressive 1.8T try to be funny with me. Purposely tailgate me for no reason even after I turn into the middle lane. Maybe he looking down on my B9 2.0 Quattro and its 252 bhp or perhaps he thought that mine is a zhng 1.4 B9. Anyway, when i spotted an opening, I just changed to sports mode and away I went. Can see him trying hard to catch up.....hahahaha!

If you are the driver of the 1.8T and reading this, wake up your bloody idea.......you think your 1.8T can fly ah? 300bhp is it? Don't have the goods then don't disturb other people. I feel embarassed for you....especially when my car started zooming effortlessly away from you. And you even cut in and out of other people's lane to try to catch up with me.....so dangerous. Did you even think you have a chance? Want to be funny, make sure you're driving something that can match or you'll just be embarassing yourself.

Anyway, its all the same, after a while no matter how manny bhp you have, it will not be enough. Like me, at the beginning, the 252bhp feels great and responsive, but after a while, I became used to it and am starting to crave for more power. Power is never enough! :p 

The 190bhp engine is actually a good upgrade from the 1.4l and is quite worth it in terms of power and price. However, just don't expect it to have the performance of the 2.0 Quattro which cost an additional $80k (almost enough to buy another vios or mazda 3). Just test drive both and you'll see/feel the difference. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 7

B8 1.8T with 300bhp? sure or not? The engine and front-wheel drive can handle it? Even VAG ony claims 205bhp for their 1.8 tuning. If 1.8T can tune to 300bhp then still need S4 or RS4 for what? Don't just hearsay and take it as the truth. No wonder the other day on the TPE, one aggressive 1.8T try to be funny with me. Purposely tailgate me for no reason even after I turn into the middle lane. Maybe he looking down on my B9 2.0 Quattro and its 252 bhp or perhaps he thought that mine is a zhng 1.4 B9. Anyway, when i spotted an opening, I just changed to sports mode and away I went. Can see him trying hard to catch up.....hahahaha!

If you are the driver of the 1.8T and reading this, wake up your bloody idea.......you think your 1.8T can fly ah? 300bhp is it? Don't have the goods then don't disturb other people. I feel embarassed for you....especially when my car started zooming

effortlessly

away from you. And you even cut in and out of other people's lane to try to catch up with me.....so dangerous. Did you even think you have a chance? Want to be funny, make sure you're driving something that can match or you'll just be embarassing yourself.

Anyway, its all the same, after a while no matter how manny bhp you have, it will not be enough. Like me, at the beginning, the 252bhp feels great and responsive, but after a while, I became used to it and am starting to crave for more power. Power is never enough! :p

The 190bhp engine is actually a good upgrade from the 1.4l and is quite worth it in terms of power and price. However, just don't expect it to have the performance of the 2.0 Quattro which cost an additional $80k (almost enough to buy another vios or mazda 3). Just test drive both and you'll see/feel the difference.

The OP was asking if the engine can take it or not and the answer is yes. Of course if you want to push it past a regular tune, you’ll have to do the full works on the intake and exhaust. You pay more for an S4 or RS4 because of the way it’s designed, which inherently gives you more reliability over modding your own base model. It’s all about power linearity and longevity.

IMO the 190bhp is a better deal.

• Praise 2

The OP was asking if the engine can take it or not and the answer is yes. Of course if you want to push it past a regular tune, youâll have to do the full works on the intake and exhaust. You pay more for an S4 or RS4 because of the way itâs designed, which inherently gives you more reliability over modding your own base model. Itâs all about power linearity and longevity.

IMO the 190bhp is a better deal.

I agree. The Quattro doesn't justify the huge price difference.

But if the high price paid helps the owner with his ego boost by smoking others and then proudly declaring here, it's very worth it.

• Praise 3

If you are the driver of the 1.8T and reading this, wake up your bloody idea.......you think your 1.8T can fly ah? 300bhp is it? Don't have the goods then don't disturb other people. I feel embarassed for you....especially when my car started zooming effortlessly away from you. And you even cut in and out of other people's lane to try to catch up with me.....so dangerous. Did you even think you have a chance? Want to be funny, make sure you're driving something that can match or you'll just be embarassing yourself.

Bro chill... we get your point. You paid a lot of extra $$ for a lot of extra HP from factory.

Respect that your ride is FAST and can easily smoke other wannabes.

Do keep to speed limits and drive safe too.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

But if the high price paid helps the owner with his ego boost by smoking others and then proudly declaring here, it's very worth it.

Ouch. 

• Praise 1

With ref to the local lineup of a4 and their pricing, the 252hp a4 is priced awkwardly. In my own mind I describe it as a very bad deal even just within Audi lineup. At that price I might as well top up to get s4 yolo. Or get the 3.3 stinger with plenty spare change. Now that they offer the 2 liter 188 hp a4 at around the same price as the previous 1.4 a4 it feels like an incredible bargain. Just wonder are the 2 engines fundamentally the same since the generic description in sgcarmart says the same. Or at least with a custom tune to push it over 200hp, no need even any hardware change.

With ref to the local lineup of a4 and their pricing, the 252hp a4 is priced awkwardly. In my own mind I describe it as a very bad deal even just within Audi lineup. At that price I might as well top up to get s4 yolo. Or get the 3.3 stinger with plenty spare change. Now that they offer the 2 liter 188 hp a4 at around the same price as the previous 1.4 a4 it feels like an incredible bargain. Just wonder are the 2 engines fundamentally the same since the generic description in sgcarmart says the same. Or at least with a custom tune to push it over 200hp, no need even any hardware change.

Yup the 190bhp is a bargain because a simple stage 1 chip up and bring up the horses and it's not subject to a 20k VES.

So the 252bhp is mighty expensive and is better of course with more power, Quattro and VC but the premium is just not worth it simply because 20k goes to taxes and the price does not reflect any real value.

But to smoke others, yes 20k is worth it for bragging rights.

wah ... you out-think LTA scholars ar? [laugh]

the way PA price the 190bhp and 252bhp is to push 190bhp unit la

see no up ... people will buy 252bhp unless for petrol head with deep pocket

with deep pocket ... why not chop carrot the buyer ... if not chop who?

Yup the 190bhp is a bargain because a simple stage 1 chip up and bring up the horses and it's not subject to a 20k VES.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

So the 252bhp is mighty expensive and is better of course with more power, Quattro and VC but the premium is just not worth it simply because 20k goes to taxes and the price does not reflect any real value.

But to smoke others, yes 20k is worth it for bragging rights.

Audi is famed for their Quattro. Once driven it, u will not settle for less...

Horsepower is merely 1 side of the equation... FWD 250-300bhp... a 200bhp RWD/ AWD for me anytime ...

Yes, our insane car tax structure is simply out of this world...so can’t fault the buyers...

At price point: $220k range, 2.0 Quattro vs 530i (PI) , BMW does look like a sweet deal... at least for me, seriously weighting this option...

Or maybe just renew my Quattro... lol...

Rant finish... cheers

• Praise 2

Can only bully b&b cars, got what use?

Not here not there, nowhere near performance car league.

Even cheap and lower end performance cars like the Evo or STi half of its price is going to tear it like a piece of tissue paper in a few secs.

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

wah ... you out-think LTA scholars ar? [laugh]

the way PA price the 190bhp and 252bhp is to push 190bhp unit la

Interesting perspective...Thats so true.

Now, between the A4 quattro and A5 Quattro, A5 anyday for the styling...

Even cheap and lower end performance cars like the Evo or STi half of its price is going to tear it like a piece of tissue paper in a few sec

You don't even know anything but claim i bully b&B cars. Where you get the info from huh? The point here is that the 1.8T "bullied" me instead on me bullying it. I was happily driving along at about 100km/hr when he came out through one of the Punggol/Sengkang exit and started tailigating me. I even moved to the middle lane to let him pass but instead, he followed me to the middle lane and continued to tailgate me. Then after I sped up, why does he have to chase after me aggressively? So, who is the bully here?

I also know Evo and STI can easily makan my car. But do i go around tailgating them and trying to be funny? The answer is no. I only step on the gas when people like the 1.8T try to be funny. If you compare power v comfort level, the A4 wins hands down versue the Evo and STI. I should know cos i own both before. Anyway, I don't race on the road, just need the car to be comfortable as a daily drive yet have the power to drive off when people try to be funny. Like that wrong ah?

I also agreed that the 190hp A4 is a good buy, but i'm used to Quattro so I bought it. Wrong again ah? 

Aynyway, I was just ranting in my previous post cos I was angry. You like it when people purposely tailgate you for no reason even after you move to another lane to let them pass is it? Get the full picture before you shoot your mouth off lah!

• Dislike 3

Same thing for you too. I was not the one who started it. It was the 1.8T who started the nonsense, so what's wrong with giving him a reality check? You people go check my previous post again lah before shooting your mouths off. If you like people to purposely tailgate you and try to be funny even after you turn to the middle lane to let him pass, then good for you. For me, i just step on the gas and zoom off. Wrong ah? Like I said, I was ranting in my previous post cos i was angry. Wrong ah? 

Same thing for you too. I was not the one who started it. It was the 1.8T who started the nonsense, so what's wrong with giving him a reality check? You people go check my previous post again lah before shooting your mouths off. If you like people to purposely tailgate you and try to be funny even after you turn to the middle lane to let him pass, then good for you. For me, i just step on the gas and zoom off. Wrong ah? Like I said, I was ranting in my previous post cos i was angry. Wrong ah?

Erm, even if I said you're wrong you'd still feel you're not wrong right.. so asking for my opinion is immaterial.

You have your right to rant, I have my right to comment, no?

Next time I see a B9 Quattro, I'd keep a clear distance least I get my bonnet dirty by smoke.

Have a good day.

Erm, even if I said you're wrong you'd still feel you're not wrong right.. so asking for my opinion is immaterial.

You have your right to rant, I have my right to comment, no?

Next time I see a B9 Quattro, I'd keep a clear distance least I get my bonnet dirty by smoke.

Have a good day.

Ok, you said I'm wrong, so tell me which part I was wrong? The part where i was driving happily at around 100km/hr or the part where i turned to the middle lane to allow him to pass? When I saw him approaching so fast, I already decided to turn to the middle lane to let him pass but he followed me to the middle lane to contiune to tailgate me. By the way, the road was clear on the fast lane and there's no reason for him to turn to the middle lane to continue to tailgate me. I already did my part to move out of his way, so what exactly had I done wrong? Or is it the part where i switched to sports mode and drove away from him? Wrong is it? Then how about his action of trying to chase after me? Come on lah, everything i do is wrong and everything the other driver did was right? Right to speed up and tailgate someone? Right to follow me to the middle lane to continue to tailgate me for no reason even though his lane was clear? Right to chase after me although I did nothing wrong? This is obviously a case of someone trying to be funny yet you say I am wrong. 

If you say that I am wrong, please share so that I can see exactly where I have gone wrong. Don't just happily comment about something and when asked to explain, just say something irrelevant.

I'm open to your opinions/comments. So do share so that I can learn. If you are able to justify your comments, then I am gentleman enough to admit if its my fault. Let's have an open discussion. 

Edited by Audi1980

Ok, you said I'm wrong, so tell me which part I was wrong? The part where i was driving happily at around 100km/hr or the part where i turned to the middle lane to allow him to pass? When I saw him approaching so fast, I already decided to turn to the middle lane to let him pass but he followed me to the middle lane to contiune to tailgate me. By the way, the road was clear on the fast lane and there's no reason for him to turn to the middle lane to continue to tailgate me. I already did my part to move out of his way, so what exactly had I done wrong? Or is it the part where i switched to sports mode and drove away from him? Wrong is it? Then how about his action of trying to chase after me? Come on lah, everything i do is wrong and everything the other driver did was right? Right to speed up and tailgate someone? Right to follow me to the middle lane to continue to tailgate me for no reason even though his lane was clear? Right to chase after me although I did nothing wrong? This is obviously a case of someone trying to be funny yet you say I am wrong.

If you say that I am wrong, please share so that I can see exactly where I have gone wrong. Don't just happily comment about something and when asked to explain, just say something irrelevant.

I'm open to your opinions/comments. So do share so that I can learn. If you are able to justify your comments, then I am gentleman enough to admit if its my fault. Let's have an open discussion.

In the first place I never said you're wrong.

Then you asked me if you're wrong.

Which I then replied with even if I said you're wrong you'd still think you're not wrong - and that by the way was a hypothetical premise.. the word IF that I used.

It turned out that my hypothetical premise was right, going by the long essay you've written to justify yourself, which I admit that I did not fully read (because I don't see a need to)

So if you'd realised by now, I have never said you're wrong, nor implied in any way you're wrong.

I just made a (casual) comment about what you did, but you keep thinking I'm saying you're wrong and asking me to prove your conjecture right.. and that doesn't make sense to me.

Still fashionable to tell tales of how they smoke others on public roads nowadays?

Thot the days of that Driftking clown are long over....

• Praise 1

Even cheap and lower end performance cars like the Evo or STi half of its price is going to tear it like a piece of tissue paper in a few secs.

Ya. No 450hp no talk.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2