70-80km/hr on the expressway rightmost lane...

Zippaboy

(edited)

Was following a friend's car and I realize she was always travelling 10+ below the speed limit...

When we stopped, I asked her why. she said she was going 90+ Kmph all the way.

Then I took a car for a spin and check the speedometer against my phone app.

To hit 90km/hr, she have to go 102-105km/hr.....

My friend say she did not know her speedometer was off and always thought that those who overtook her from the left are speeding.....

Now I finally know why got so many people going 70-80km/hr on the rightmost lane of the expressway....

That is because their speedometer reading is off after they changed their rims/tyres.

[q

Edited by Zippaboy
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

GPS speed will never be the same as odo speed.. different apps also gives slight diff speed... Anyway, who the hell drive at 90kmh on 1st lane if traffic is low? 100-110 also quite safe lar unless near those new speed cam where should slow down slightly to around 90 ...Hehehe...

• Praise 6

Turbocharged
(edited)

My speedo is about 10km/h faster than my garmin GPS.

my GPS usually 7~15km/h lower than my speedo when accelerating... but once I keep stable regulated cruise speed, matches up, after about ten seconds.

Then again, don't have any aftermarket rims or whatever.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

Was following a friend's car and I realize she was always travelling 10+ below the speed limit...

When we stopped, I asked her why. she said she was going 90+ Kmph all the way.

Then I took a car for a spin and check the speedometer against my phone app.

To hit 90km/hr, she have to go 102-105km/hr.....

My friend say she did not know her speedometer was off and always thought that those who overtook her from the left are speeding.....

Now I finally know why got so many people going 70-80km/hr on the rightmost lane of the expressway....

That is because their speedometer reading is off after they changed their rims/tyres.

[q

It's important that you change your rim and tyres according to the given factory specification. If you change your rim, you need to compensate by using the correct profile tyres. The important thing is the OD of the tyres must match the OD of the tyres of the original factory specification.

Actually, the speed provide by the phone app / gps will depends on where you're travelling, normally will be +/- 1 to 2%. If you want to get more accurate result, make sure you chose a route whereby there are no tall buildings / trees.

Turbocharged

Just to remind, Lane 1 has got nothing to do with speed or speed limit. If someone behind the ass, move away from Lane 1 LOL

People going faster than you when you are in Lane 1? Means you must get out of Lane 1!

[dizzy]

Speedo meter is calibrated to the rpm & rolling radius of the tyre not the rim size. Bigger rim doesn't mean bigger tyre radius. eg, 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 are compatible tyre sizes but the former is slightly bigger by a few mm in diameter. Plus 2 upgrade recommends 215/45R17 and is actually some 10mm smaller. When plus 2 upgrade is applied the rim offset needs to be changed to align the tread width of the car as now the tyre width is wider.

A smaller overall diameter results in speedo reading to be on the higher side as it in fact rolls less distance with the same rpm. eg, if overall diameter is -2% then when speedo reads 100 it's actually 98 km/h. Let say a guy wrongly upgraded the tyre to 215/60R16, which is 4% bigger in diameter. When the speedo shows 100 it's already at 104 km/h.

Let say another guy changed the stock tyre to 195/60R15, which is some 4% smaller. He will be going at 96 km/h when speedo shows 100. Don't forget that manufacturers usually calibrate the speedo on the safe side of -1 to 2 %. So the actual speed would likely be 94 to 95 km/h only.

• Praise 3

People going faster than you when you are in Lane 1? Means you must get out of Lane 1!

[dizzy]

If I see a car coming up behind me fast, I'll move to Lane 2 if it's safe to do so. Let the car past and I move back to Lane 1 to continue overtaking those slow moving cars on Lane 2.

[sunny]

• Praise 7

Twincharged

Also some Tyre shop,when they don't have a certain size like 225/45-19[my Mazda size,it is a rare size,very little shop carry this size],they will 'offer' other size which they keep stock like 225/40-19.[common size],after fitting you will know your speedo,don't match the GPS reading.

In our city expressways, it is unlikely to have lane 1 solely for overtaking. For drivers who like to go faster by 30 km/h or more, please be patient when there's slower traffic in front of you. Their safe filtering to lane 2 might take some time. Please note that speeding is not an entitlement unless you are on official duties.

Gps speedometer is extremely accurate once you are travelling at a constant speed for at least 5-10s.

My point is some people might be thinking they are going at 90-100+plus km/hr , where in actual fact you are going 80km/hr and holding/slowing down the entire traffic behind you......

Gps speedometer is extremely accurate once you are travelling at a constant speed for at least 5-10s.

My point is some people might be thinking they are going at 90-100+plus km/hr , where in actual fact you are going 80km/hr and holding/slowing down the entire traffic behind you......

That's always the case. Also, some claimed to have reached 180km/h but in actual fact, much slower.

if in doubt and not overtaking, just keep left. i don't understand what's so difficult

i've ever driven at 100km/h along KJE towards PIE on lane 3 just cause traffic was so clear. and that was at 9+pm.

i really wonder why people like to keep right.

I go 80km. The max 89km on aye toward tuas on right lane. AM. Hahaha anyone dare to say I road hog?

Lornie I even Kia see. I go the max 60km.

Is not the speed that matter. Is our driving ethics. Singaporean generally got the worse driving ethics.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1