IRoad In-Car Camera Recorder Users

Johny_walker

Will the workshop install the on/off switch for us if the installation wasn't done by them?

Any workshop recommendation?

Thanks much

↡ Advertisement

I have been using V9 since June.

1. Had it under hot sun with (parked, completely no shelter/shade except for sunshield on windscreen) for full day (8am till 6pm) every week day for a few months in new car. No overheating issue observed .. I did not care anyway but the device still working fine. The temperature in car can be extremely high most of the times during that period (July-Oct). Come to think of it, I would strongly recommend that you unplugged the power cable if you are going to park under hot sun for many hours.

2. My original voltage cut-off settings was around 12.x V. When I went for business trip for 6 days, battery did not died. I was not worry because the cut-off had always been happening after I parked for a few hours based on my observation during the first few weeks. I contribute that to my short drive each day (usually only 10+km drive before parking end of each day) so it could be battery not fully charged. Few days ago I was advised by a different installer to lower my voltage cut-off settings and it seems the camera can operating much longer now. I still need to check further the number of hours .. overnight from 5pm till next morning 7.30am seems to be no issue. Motion detect recording during parking has always been working fine.

3. Installing a on/off switch is definitely not common but make sense in view of iRoad limitation and protect the cable interface. Anyone got the on/off switch installed please share (result, photo, cost, workshop).

4. I did not remove the wifi dongle but may do that soon to reduce use of battery, and level of heat/radiation generated (all may be just assumption) since I hardly connect. Periodically I will remove the SD card and view the videos via the PC viewer, and save (selectively) a few of them to .avi files. The saved .avi files always play extremely smoothly. I replace the default 16GB with sandisk extreme 64GB to allow a few days of recording to be retained before overwriting occurs.

5. I turned off audio recording nowadays, not because it will take up additional memory space but for privacy of the recorded video if I ever need to share/publish it. The audio recordings can sometimes be quite annoying too with noisy kids. For the same privacy reason, I do not input details such as car number and my name to the camera settings otherwise they will be on the videos. Do you do the same or have different view on this?

6. Another realisation is that the wifi login does not require any password by default so potentially another person with the app installed on his mobile can actually connect/view/save your videos? I think the ID/password can be changed so will get that done. Both installers that I encountered so far never advise about ID/password. Imagine someone near your car connect to it and download your videos with all your private in-car conversations recorded as well!

Hope the above sharing will help some of the potential V9 buyers to make their decision.

Edited by Kawan
  • Praise 2

bro,i am on V7 for almost a year. and only recently encounter scenarios such as yours. and all i did is change a new micro sd instead of the IRoad one,which is a freebie when i bought from the Sitex last year. eversince i changed a new microsd, so far no more such issue.

i always set on parking mode.only once,i itchy hands,set to motion.and is a nightmare.cos that is the 1st time my unit kinda shut down and spoilt. then i realised that when u set to motion.the unit is damn sensitive to capture EVERY SINGLE MOVEMENT passed by it. and that time i parked in the front row at Airport T3. imagine how "busy" the unit worked until heated up max.

now my challenge is no sure,if i not driving for around 5 days,will it kill my car battery or not. dun really dare to try. so am thinking to go unplug the power source....much safer.but then, will mean i can't record any *touchwood* hit and run (if it happens). so a bit of dilemma....

Bro thanks for your advice. I will go and buy a new microsd and try. Now I'm using the original 16gb iroad card that came with the camera. I heard if u remove the SD card and plug into your laptop, u can change more detailed settings using laptop than over the WiFi app.

So bro u put parking mode without motion detection? Does it record non stop when car is parked?

1. Had it under hot sun with (parked, completely no shelter/shade except for sunshield on windscreen) for full day (8am till 6pm) every week day for a few months in new car. No overheating issue observed .. I did not care anyway but the device still working fine. The temperature in car can be extremely high most of the times during that period (July-Oct). Come to think of it, I would strongly recommend that you unplugged the power cable if you are going to park under hot sun for many hours.

2. My original voltage cut-off settings was around 12.x V. When I went for business trip for 6 days, battery did not died. I was not worry because the cut-off had always been happening after I parked for a few hours based on my observation during the first few weeks. I contribute that to my short drive each day (usually only 10+km drive before parking end of each day) so it could be battery not fully charged. Few days ago I was advised by a different installer to lower my voltage cut-off settings and it seems the camera can operating much longer now. I still need to check further the number of hours .. overnight from 5pm till next morning 7.30am seems to be no issue. Motion detect recording during parking has always been working fine.

3. Installing a on/off switch is definitely not common but make sense in view of iRoad limitation and protect the cable interface. Anyone got the on/off switch installed please share (result, photo, cost, workshop).

4. I did not remove the wifi dongle but may do that soon to reduce use of battery, and level of heat/radiation generated (all may be just assumption) since I hardly connect. Periodically I will remove the SD card and view the videos via the PC viewer, and save (selectively) a few of them to .avi files. The saved .avi files always play extremely smoothly. I replace the default 16GB with sandisk extreme 64GB to allow a few days of recording to be retained before overwriting occurs.

5. I turned off audio recording nowadays, not because it will take up additional memory space but for privacy of the recorded video if I ever need to share/publish it. The audio recordings can sometimes be quite annoying too with noisy kids. For the same privacy reason, I do not input details such as car number and my name to the camera settings otherwise they will be on the videos. Do you do the same or have different view on this?

6. Another realisation is that the wifi login does not require any password by default so potentially another person with the app installed on his mobile can actually connect/view/save your videos? I think the ID/password can be changed so will get that done. Both installers that I encountered so far never advise about ID/password. Imagine someone near your car connect to it and download your videos with all your private in-car conversations recorded as well!

Hope the above sharing will help some of the potential V9 buyers to make their decision.

For point 6, you need to press the button on the cam to register your phone for the first time before you can access it subsequently. So outsider cannot register with your CAM since they have no access to that button. 

• Praise 1

Bro thanks for your advice. I will go and buy a new microsd and try. Now I'm using the original 16gb iroad card that came with the camera. I heard if u remove the SD card and plug into your laptop, u can change more detailed settings using laptop than over the WiFi app.

So bro u put parking mode without motion detection? Does it record non stop when car is parked?

yup. when parked will record non-stop.

but with the shock mode on.

For point 6, you need to press the button on the cam to register your phone for the first time before you can access it subsequently. So outsider cannot register with your CAM since they have no access to that button. 

yup. need to register de.

It seems to be so. Disabling parking mode turns into continuous recording.

I am thinking of buying a barrel jack switch to turn off the cam when I want to stop recording after the car is parked. I tried to search on the net but delivery charges is 10x more than the switch itself. Anyone know of any hardware shop selling this? 

post-163884-0-90345300-1449497191_thumb.jpg

Haha .. I actually forgot about that. Thanks for reminding. I recall seeing the ID/password in the settings - any idea what would be the application for that?

Haha .. I actually forgot about that. Thanks for reminding. I recall seeing the ID/password in the settings - any idea what would be the application for that?

That is to look at the video via V9 app. Only user name and no password. It is similar to Router SSID. If this ID is only know to you then no one can access to your video.

It seems to be so. Disabling parking mode turns into continuous recording.

I am thinking of buying a barrel jack switch to turn off the cam when I want to stop recording after the car is parked. I tried to search on the net but delivery charges is 10x more than the switch itself. Anyone know of any hardware shop selling this? 

You can go to Car Beauty at Kaki Bukit to fix an on/off switch on your dash. Cost is $10.

just asking... how much did you lower your voltage cut-off to?

I just retired my Iroad AEV after 1 year 5 months of use. I replaced it as it is now starting to reboot intermittently when driving.

The biggest issue I had with it is that it has no real parking mode function - it records constantly 24x7. "Parking mode" just means it records at a lower FPS which is plain silly as it fills up the memory card needlessly.

When I bought the unit, Corvit told me that they were working on a firmware to resolve this issue - nothing heard of this since then. Apart from that the unit has been quite reliable, even though it usually needs several tries to connect to the phone app. With the Iroad power cable, it powers off after 24-36 hours of parking with the cut off set at 11.8v, and so far no dead battery.

Would I buy another Iroad model ? Not if parking mode remains an issue for their camera models. Also, I didn't find the local agent helpful or proactive at all - so much for local support. I dislike being asked to go down to Bukit Batok for any query, when a simple answer over email would have solved the problem.

Hi, V9 user here. As V9 doesn't have a LCD display, what happened if the Wi Fi Dongle is faulty or if I were to purchase the V9 without Wi Fi Dongle, how am I going to adjust the camera viewing angle then?

I just retired my Iroad AEV after 1 year 5 months of use. I replaced it as it is now starting to reboot intermittently when driving.

The biggest issue I had with it is that it has no real parking mode function - it records constantly 24x7. "Parking mode" just means it records at a lower FPS which is plain silly as it fills up the memory card needlessly.

When I bought the unit, Corvit told me that they were working on a firmware to resolve this issue - nothing heard of this since then. Apart from that the unit has been quite reliable, even though it usually needs several tries to connect to the phone app. With the Iroad power cable, it powers off after 24-36 hours of parking with the cut off set at 11.8v, and so far no dead battery.

Would I buy another Iroad model ? Not if parking mode remains an issue for their camera models. Also, I didn't find the local agent helpful or proactive at all - so much for local support. I dislike being asked to go down to Bukit Batok for any query, when a simple answer over email would have solved the problem.

My experience tells me the reboot intermittently issue may be due to loose cable connection either at the front/back camera. I had this problem before but disappear after I make some adjustments to the cables for the back camera. 

Yes, I heard about the V7 problem before V9 purchase so wrote to Corvit who immediately reply me that they V7 motion detect is "too sensitive" and they have taken care of the issue for V9. They also advise that V7 users should set the sensitivity to low which should help. It is bad that they did not follow up on the firmware or fix the V7 issue. Fortunately, V9 indeed do not have the same problem after I install.

Hi, V9 user here. As V9 doesn't have a LCD display, what happened if the Wi Fi Dongle is faulty or if I were to purchase the V9 without Wi Fi Dongle, how am I going to adjust the camera viewing angle then?

I am not aware that the wifi dongle is an optional item during the initial purchase. If lost/faulty, I hope we can just buy the dongle alone.

just asking... how much did you lower your voltage cut-off to?

Sorry can't check now but I believe the lowest allowed by the settings screen on the iRoad app on my iPhone. Could be 11.8V.

bro, can take a pic of the switch?

thanks.

h

You can go sim lim and choose any switch you like(the supply to the camera isn't high in voltage or current) and cut the cable to install the switch. Installation wise can be anywhere along the cable.

At least u get to choose the switch u like.

• Praise 1

bro, can take a pic of the switch?

thanks.

Alamak, it was installed in my old car (scrapped liao).

It is those switch you find on some lamps but much smaller (about 2 cm by 1 cm). I got it fixed at the workshop I mentioned together with my ITB100 because I find the ITB taps on my car batt and the small little on off switch on the camera gave me problem after on and off several times.

My car was an SUV then so the dash is huge and therefore can put the switch on it (eg. there was a spare space for flood lamp switch but if flood lamps wasn't installed, they will use that space). For saloon, I think they will hide it near the bonnet release (under the steering).

But like what the other bro suggested...if you are tech/elect savvy, you can actually buy the switch from Sim Lim and DIY.

Edited by Chickenfarm
  • Praise 1