Better router or wifi extender

Stratovarius

Twincharged

borrow this thread abit ...

question : if my PC got both wired and wireless connection, which one will take precedence ?

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

borrow this thread abit ...

question : if my PC got both wired and wireless connection, which one will take precedence ?

If LAN cable connected, that will take precedent over wireless.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Actually none of the homeplug wireless extender works that well.

The only one which work flawlessly is homePNA.

It make use of our existing starhub coaxial cable to transmit signal to rooms which can then use lan to your PC or TV.

I have a pair of trendnet mid band coaxial cable. I hook from ground floor to 3rd floor via coaxial cable. My plan was fiber 200mpbs when i use the coaxial lanpoint on 3rd floor i get download speed of 192mpbs which is unseen from Powerline ( 48mpbs) or wireless AC1750 acting as repeater mode on 2nd floor ( 22mpbs). However when i connect the coxial cable i receive a call from starhub saying that my house have power irregularities and cause other neighbour signal to drop. they send their engineer over and say that i cannot connect anything using their point as it's done up by starhub and therefore we cant tab the source. In other countries it's completely legal and i went to check IDA website they claim its under experiment and singtel some user has already in testing phase.

If this is adapt we will soon be able to connect seamless via the starhub cable point provided singtel/m1/myrepublic/viewquest pay money to starhub for using their port to transmit signal. Home PNA is so popular in europe only our countries so called first world country but 3rd world tech implement by our ISP. This is such a simple solution to solve the stupid no signal problem for those who stay in bigger house but our ida is taking years to review such a solution.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=265_TPA-311

One thing to take note is that once this is implemented then all powerline will be rendered useless. Maybe thats why IDA still haven approve this.

Edited by Valx

Actually none of the homeplug wireless extender works that well.

The only one which work flawlessly is homePNA.

It make use of our existing starhub coaxial cable to transmit signal to rooms which can then use lan to your PC or TV.

I have a pair of trendnet mid band coaxial cable. I hook from ground floor to 3rd floor via coaxial cable. My plan was fiber 200mpbs when i use the coaxial lanpoint on 3rd floor i get download speed of 192mpbs which is unseen from Powerline ( 48mpbs) or wireless AC1750 acting as repeater mode on 2nd floor ( 22mpbs). However when i connect the coxial cable i receive a call from starhub saying that my house have power irregularities and cause other neighbour signal to drop. they send their engineer over and say that i cannot connect anything using their point as it's done up by starhub and therefore we cant tab the source. In other countries it's completely legal and i went to check IDA website they claim its under experiment and singtel some user has already in testing phase.

If this is adapt we will soon be able to connect seamless via the starhub cable point provided singtel/m1/myrepublic/viewquest pay money to starhub for using their port to transmit signal. Home PNA is so popular in europe only our countries so called first world country but 3rd world tech implement by our ISP. This is such a simple solution to solve the stupid no signal problem for those who stay in bigger house but our ida is taking years to review such a solution.

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=265_TPA-311

One thing to take note is that once this is implemented then all powerline will be rendered useless. Maybe thats why IDA still haven approve this.

Erm, this would be a solution for an existing problem. But most people only have like one or max 2 coaxial points (most i know only have one)/

Granted the situation of a landed home is different.

(edited)

Erm, this would be a solution for an existing problem. But most people only have like one or max 2 coaxial points (most i know only have one)/

Granted the situation of a landed home is different.

if you have a lan point on third floor u connect to a extender is much much much more stronger then u hook a extender from the 1st storey. I actually use the coaxial adapter to connect to a router acting as AP which in turn gives much better speed and signal than tapping on the first storey signal. nonetheless those thick wall could also benefit from this setup.

Coaxial cable i thought most room have. my old house have 3. One living room 2 on both rooms.

The white box by scv

Edited by Valx

All those wifi extender or electric plug or whatever related are totally wasting your time and money.

After spending that much, your wifi range will still be very small and connection can be intermittent. If you don't believe me, you can try.

If you have budget concern, the best is to put your router in the center of your house. That's the best you can get, but still with a poor wifi connectivity.

One house with the size of HDB 4rm flat (~90sqm) or smaller, you can try one router in the center of your house. This can improve your wifi range but still not good.

For bigger houses, you need to spend more via below suggestion. If $$$ is your main concern, you have to live with poor wifi connectivity.

1. Get an electrician to lay ethernet cables with sockets (Number of sockets will depend on your area size. Plan your setup first before executing), price is about $100-$150 per location/socket.

2. Get your 1st router as main route and 2nd router as access point (You might need 3 or even 4 routers, depending on your area size), price for a relatively good router is over $100. Best is to get high-end AC router which is above $200 and beyond, provided if you subscribe to fast fiber speed.

3. Software part: You need to teach you routers on which one to be the main and which ones to be the access points. Thereon, setup your routers' login password and wifi password. For advanced users, you can set higher frequency to further boost your wifi range. But higher frequency means shorter lifespan. You decide.

You will have a very strong wifi connectivity if you follow the above suggestion. Don't be penny wise, pound foolish. Want to setup for stronger wifi, do it once and done deal.

I am currently using asus rt-ac87u as main router and rt-ac66u as my access point. All-in-all, I have to spend $600+ for the whole setup, a very strong wifi connectivity in my whole house now.

End of the day, the stronger the wifi connectivity is equal to the amount of money spent on the overall setup. 2cents worth.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

If your router antenna connection is rp-sma or n type connector, you can try replacing stock antena to a higher gain antenna. I bought this outdoor antenna for use at home and now can receive signals where I previously cant. Mine is the 14dBi one and this is only for 2.4GHz band.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT2414A-Outdoor-Directional-connector/dp/B003CFATOC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436970878&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=asus+outdoor+antenna+14dbi

I dont think you can get this in Singapore as I dont see this product in their Singapore website. Hope this helps.

Edited by Sagibit
  • Praise 1

I have seen those TP-link multiple function router that can configure WAP that are mini in size. I think it's a good idea as you can also bring it for your travel.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR710N.html

Thanks man. Ordered from the qoo10 (which is just SLS's videopro online shop).

Got it yest, setup was very easy and totally painless. Can configure straight as access point.

Just change SSID and wireless password, choose which channel and it works great!

Good that it has a ethernet port as well. Just plug my tvbox into it. save buying a gigabit switch.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Thanks man. Ordered from the qoo10 (which is just SLS's videopro online shop).

Got it yest, setup was very easy and totally painless. Can configure straight as access point.

Just change SSID and wireless password, choose which channel and it works great!

Good that it has a ethernet port as well. Just plug my tvbox into it. save buying a gigabit switch.

this is esp good for travelling ... plug into the hotel room and create your own wifi (coz some hotels only wired connection).

but my last one spoiled becoz I left it plugged in all the way from the morning when I went out until I returned at night and the thing got no more lights !!

this is esp good for travelling ... plug into the hotel room and create your own wifi (coz some hotels only wired connection).

but my last one spoiled becoz I left it plugged in all the way from the morning when I went out until I returned at night and the thing got no more lights !!

Just realised something. That this WR710N, the 2 ports are only 10/100. Not a gigabit port.

Not a big deal for me, as i'm just using it for a tv box.

Just realised something. That this WR710N, the 2 ports are only 10/100. Not a gigabit port.

Not a big deal for me, as i'm just using it for a tv box.

bought this from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-1000Mbps-Gigabit-Capacity/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437548677&sr=1-2&keywords=tp+link+switch

guarantee our voltage can work

4 port, 8 port, no problem, my one is the 1000mbps one

just need to buy the $1.5 multi pin plug adaptor from hardware shop

• Praise 1

bought this from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-1000Mbps-Gigabit-Capacity/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437548677&sr=1-2&keywords=tp+link+switch

guarantee our voltage can work

4 port, 8 port, no problem, my one is the 1000mbps one

just need to buy the $1.5 multi pin plug adaptor from hardware shop

haha tp link stuff u also buy from amazon. Lol i always thought since it's taiwanese it's cheaper in SG.

I have this one actually. the 5 port one in my living room. Bought in SG.

It is cheaper than SG though.

Now in my MBR, i have LAN port -> this WR710N -> my android tvbox.

So just nice, don't have to buy a switch. And the 100mbps limit doesn't matter much for tvboxes cos the streams are definitely <100mbps.

haha tp link stuff u also buy from amazon. Lol i always thought since it's taiwanese it's cheaper in SG.

I have this one actually. the 5 port one in my living room. Bought in SG.

It is cheaper than SG though.

Now in my MBR, i have LAN port -> this WR710N -> my android tvbox.

So just nice, don't have to buy a switch. And the 100mbps limit doesn't matter much for tvboxes cos the streams are definitely <100mbps.

man, if 豆油, 酱青 cheaper in amazon, i will also buy!!! [laugh]

Currently using the router provided by SH. Coverage is not very good and unable to receive any signal in MBR. Planning to get an android TV in MBR so gonna do something about the router. Router is in the living rm so any recommendation for router that is able to cover MBR? Saw quite a few Asus in Challenger. I'm not really keen on wifi extender though.

From my experience, don't bother with wifi extender.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

anyone using this device ?

its a power adapter that plugs to your power socket and then you plug some other electrical device into it and then you can switch it on or off via wifi or 3g/4g.

anyone using this device ?

its a power adapter that plugs to your power socket and then you plug some other electrical device into it and then you can switch it on or off via wifi or 3g/4g.

have not used this before... but I think Samg has something like that via Internet . 

Similar concept. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2