Better router or wifi extender

Stratovarius

4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I recontracted with StinkTel. supposed to get a Mesh extender, but they (stated in the agreement) gave me a WiFi 6 router instead. Counter staff told me contract stated router, could not change. Really WTF!

I replaced my old router (using same WiFi name and password) but many devices did not connect. I won't go through the trouble of reconnecting 20 plus devices. So the new router ended up back in the box. 

i got an old laptop cannot connect to wifi 6... mmmmm...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

10 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Use iPhone lo😂😂

• Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I recontracted with StinkTel. supposed to get a Mesh extender, but they (stated in the agreement) gave me a WiFi 6 router instead. Counter staff told me contract stated router, could not change. Really WTF!

I replaced my old router (using same WiFi name and password) but many devices did not connect. I won't go through the trouble of reconnecting 20 plus devices. So the new router ended up back in the box. 

Most simple smart home devices connect only on 2.4ghz channel. So maybe your router isn't broadcasting on both 2.4ghz and 5.0 ghz. 

I'm guessing that's what happened. But yeah lah, reconnecting everything individually is a time sink. 

13 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

You can connect most legacy devices onto Most AX routers. Or just buy a usb wireless-N dongle which should only cost like <6 dollars. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Got it locally Carousell. Those signed M1 got this router..

The AX5400 antenna oredi put the stock Singtel AC Plus router to shame! whahahahahahha.. so far i will say better.. 

ONT to AX5400.. the stock Singtel retired to cupboard.

Thanks for the info.

will keep a lookout on carousell then.

thanks

Edited... saw the price ranging from$110 to $150 in the carousell

Edited by Credor
Add the price range

10 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Thanks.. to save all trouble i recontracted with SinkTel at $39.90 per month for 2 years #1Gbps

Got the tp link ax5400 separately but facing issue.. why can't i connect to the ONT direct to the router? got no internet error.. 

I suspect you connected the modem to a wrong port of the router. 

thinking of switching to TP link M9 plus (pending for 12.12), although X20 is kinda better, I also scare many home devices cannot connect to wifi 6.

My Singtel broadband 1Gbps contract expired and was offer recontract with Mesh extender.

My AC plus router already 4yrs old so not sure it can connect to the extender.

(my kids complain sometimes slow & signal weak)

I also have Singtel TV box. Last time did try replace the AC plus router with other brand but the TV box somehow cannot connect to it(suppose to auto connect)

Called tech support hotline they reboot bla-bla-bla still cannot. Change new TV box also can't connect.

Any bro can advise or have face same issue??

3 minutes ago, Si4dr said:

My Singtel broadband 1Gbps contract expired and was offer recontract with Mesh extender.

I also have Singtel TV box. Last time did try replace the AC plus router with other brand but the TV box somehow cannot connect to it(suppose to auto connect)

Called tech support hotline they reboot bla-bla-bla still cannot. Change new TV box also can't connect.

Related to recontacting. I emailed Stinkhell to complain they gave me wrong item. The contract also stated wrongly, ie WiFi 6 Router instead of WiFi 6 Mesh Extender. Their customer service called me and kept insisting it is correct since WiFi 6 appeared in the description and what I collected was an extender! After a while of arguing (I asked her to see their own promotion page) , she then said it's WiFi 6, and my old network won't be able to use the WiFi 6 extender anyway even if they gave me. Really WTF!

Told them to email me if they insist both are the same thing so that I can post for the whole world to laugh. 

So take note if you want the router, no need to sign up for the more expensive package. Sign for the cheaper Mesh Extender package and you will get the router! 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Actually seems like singtel is quite cao kuan leh. 

Just change over lah. Not say singtel fibre is as tok gong as their 4G/5G service.

I move house, using non-m1 issued router cannot connect to the fibre, the CSO just help me as per normal. But if u got singtel tv box, then maybe another level of complexity...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Related to recontacting. I emailed Stinkhell to complain they gave me wrong item. The contract also stated wrongly, ie WiFi 6 Router instead of WiFi 6 Mesh Extender. Their customer service called me and kept insisting it is correct since WiFi 6 appeared in the description and what I collected was an extender! After a while of arguing (I asked her to see their own promotion page) , she then said it's WiFi 6, and my old network won't be able to use the WiFi 6 extender anyway even if they gave me. Really WTF!

Told them to email me if they insist both are the same thing so that I can post for the whole world to laugh. 

So take note if you want the router, no need to sign up for the more expensive package. Sign for the cheaper Mesh Extender package and you will get the router! 

Maybe no point now but i always recontract w/o and router tie in bs. Buy your own mesh router is the best since those they give are usually quite crappy. 

Just keep on complaining to the higher ups and it might help since this is technically a misleading advertisement. But make sure you read all the fine prints before you shoot. lol.

ST has disappointed me many years ago and i have no regrets going to SH and circles for home and mobile service.  

• Praise 5

34 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

That’s why I gave up on stinkytel 12 yrs ago

the worst telco imo

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

45 minutes ago, Si4dr said:

you can try to connect  the tv box to the optical network router instead of the wifi router (see tv box 1).

sf317681-041_en_v3c.png

• Praise 4

Despite being out of contract with SH, I still get reasonable service from SH.

Home ONT down.  I called SH numerous times to set an appointment for a service person.

The person came and change the bloody plug for free.

Next time, if ONT is down, go to Sim Lim and buy a new one plug.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Singtel and all the other ISPs are broadband and fibre service provider. This is their key products. The customer end equipment like routers, extenders etc are just add-on to provide convenience as a one stop shop for the non-IT savvy customers but is not their strength. If your set-up is a 'standard' setup then their promos will probably suit your needs. The standard configuration is probably 80 to 90% or more of their installations. If you have more complex network, switches, NAS, multiple rooms, then you are better off doing your doing it on your own research or seeking the advise of a good network consultant. I find the ISP support staff not very good and cannot help. They will give you standard response like switch on and off the devices, reconnect the cables, etc.

I configured my own home network and use my own routers and mesh extenders. Not the ones provided by ISPs because either what they give is no good or if good, more expensive that what from Sim Lim. 

• Praise 5

@Lala81 Yup thinking of switching but hesitate after try out other brand router can't connect Singtel TV box.

Will try out Jman method tonight, if it works will ask Singtel fly kite 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1