Better router or wifi extender

Stratovarius

I do not have problem surfing the internet in my home anyway I do not do gaming and also do not video streaming so no issue for me. However wife subscribe to Japanese program box programs always stall I watch internet Taiwanese news in bedroom and occasionally also stuck. Maid also told me when she close her bedroom door internet slowed. Suffered for a year.

Early this month came back to Singapore came across a new product known as MESH WiFi. Went to search and finally bought a box containing 3 of this at Challenger.

LRdnIqx.jpg

mWhNhiV.jpg

Came back to Bangkok install all problem solved. I must say its extremely easy to install. Now upstairs downstairs, outside home all very good. I love the phone app too its so easy to use and control

EeH8dQk.jpg

iS1bS6Y.jpg

I highly recommend. Now enjoying my Taiwan news

post-235536-0-62022700-1561742417_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic

Yes mesh WiFi is the way to go. Be it google, TP-link, etc.

I like TP-link product too.

I have always have problem inside the toilet. pages take ages to load. eventually switch pm my mobile data. weekend unlimited in m1.ð

U need mesh WiFi bro..haha.
  • Praise 1

In need of a wire mesh wifi..

Am tempted by the huawei price. 

As this is a 3 year old thread, can chime in what to get. Current router is an old ASUS router dual band.

Is it worth considering to upgrade to the latest tri band wifi6 and use the dual band as a repeater ?

2 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

As this is a 3 year old thread, can chime in what to get. Current router is an old ASUS router dual band.

Is it worth considering to upgrade to the latest tri band wifi6 and use the dual band as a repeater ?

For mesh wifi,

2 pack

https://www.linksys.com/sg/whole-home-mesh-wifi/linksys-mx10-velop-ax-whole-home-wifi-6-system/p/p-mx10600/

or

3 pack

https://www.linksys.com/sg/whole-home-mesh-wifi/linksys-velop-intelligent-mesh-wifi-system-tri-band-3-pack-white-ac6600/p/p-whw0303/

Linksys explanation

https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-center/whole-home-mesh-wifi/

The new DLink mesh router Covr-X1870 uses wifi-6 standard is good. Just a pair and it covers the whole house. I changed at the beginning of the year and no regrets. I connect it directly to my ONT. Price is good at about $170 after lazada discount. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

I have had some issues with using Asus  AImesh 2* AX92 since I got it few months back. The reliability isn't rock solid. I had to reboot the routers a few times though it seems to be relatively stable for the last 1.5 months or so. Haven't used my old ac68 as a 3rd node yet. 

I would be careful of using AIMESH cos there can be issues. And asus seems to be have some qc issues with routers nowadays. 

If u want to go for mesh system, u can't really use a dual band node as that may mess up your network.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I have had some issues with using Asus  AImesh 2* AX92 since I got it few months back. The reliability isn't rock solid. I had to reboot the routers a few times though it seems to be relatively stable for the last 1.5 months or so. Haven't used my old ac68 as a 3rd node yet. 

I would be careful of using AIMESH cos there can be issues. And asus seems to be have some qc issues with routers nowadays. 

If u want to go for mesh system, u can't really use a dual band node as that may mess up your network.

Heng I do old fashion method

wired access point 

but actually I stingy lah :XD:

Edited by Mustank
  • Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Mustank said:

wired access point 

Hmm no need to manually switch SSID is also good lah. It's quite annoying. When it works, it works well. 

• Praise 1

Recently, I bought a cheapo extender.

It worked so I didn't bother much. Although it forced me to change the IP range.

Main router is upstairs in master bedroom and I installed the extender near the stairwell for downstairs tv.

Mesh would have been nice, but it costs a lot more. So I would buy mesh if it was a new installation or you wish to upgrade the existing router at the same time, and not something you can just "add on"

Edited by Kb27

30 minutes ago, Mustank said:

wired access point 

How you handphone wire to router ,arrr??? 😂

• Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm no need to manually switch SSID is also good lah. It's quite annoying. When it works, it works well. 

it seems I am the minority lucky ones with one Asus router, can wifi the whole house.

• Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Recently, I bought a cheapo extender.

It worked so I didn't bother much. Although it forced me to change the IP range.

Main router is upstairs in master bedroom and I installed the extender near the stairwell for downstairs tv.

Mesh would have been nice, but it costs a lot more. So I would buy mesh if it was a new installation or you wish to upgrade the existing router at the same time, and not something you can just "add on"

Mesh right now are not that expensive. Mine works great even though one recently up lorry when I moved house. The remaining 2 still can cover pretty much the whole house.

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Set up with 2.5g should be ok but buying triband n using 2.5 g is like a step backwards

52 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Mesh right now are not that expensive. Mine works great even though one recently up lorry when I moved house. The remaining 2 still can cover pretty much the whole house.

Where do u place your mesh if u buy 3 packs .. must it. E triangulated?

2 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Where do u place your mesh if u buy 3 packs .. must it. E triangulated?

The most important is the main unit, which is the one connected to the modem. Depending where the modem is but location is not a main issue as long as it’s in the living room. I placed mine along the aisle that leads to the bedrooms. Then I placed the 2nd one in one of the bedrooms. Again I placed in the one beside the mbr as I don’t like placing such stuffs in mbr itself. 
No need any formation. Just place it evenly throughout the house. 3 units is overkill for a single storey apartment. 2 will be more than enough to cover a typical 1000 to 1200 sqft flat. My experience is based on the newer Bto and condos. Hearsay older HDB have more solids walls and signal harder to pass through but I can’t vet that. Lol.

mine is the older deco model and I’m sure the newer ones are better than mine. Oh and mine tends to get quite warm. So I do not recommend putting inside a tv console or the db cabinet.

• Praise 3

10 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

The most important is the main unit, which is the one connected to the modem. Depending where the modem is but location is not a main issue as long as it’s in the living room. I placed mine along the aisle that leads to the bedrooms. Then I placed the 2nd one in one of the bedrooms. Again I placed in the one beside the mbr as I don’t like placing such stuffs in mbr itself. 
No need any formation. Just place it evenly throughout the house. 3 units is overkill for a single storey apartment. 2 will be more than enough to cover a typical 1000 to 1200 sqft flat. My experience is based on the newer Bto and condos. Hearsay older HDB have more solids walls and signal harder to pass through but I can’t vet that. Lol.

mine is the older deco model and I’m sure the newer ones are better than mine. Oh and mine tends to get quite warm. So I do not recommend putting inside a tv console or the db cabinet.

I suppose u r limited by choice as it need to be tap near a power plug.

I am leaning towards the D link as its a complete replacement of my dual band router 

Edited by Sdf4786k