Pluto flyby

eXacTo

Turbocharged

The distance between the outer planets and the sun is just staggering. And yet is insignificant compared to the vastness of space.

Based on current data, our solar system is an anomaly, because many of the discovered star system has gas giants (Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune) orbiting their star at a distance eve closer than Mercury.

↡ Advertisement

Based on current data, our solar system is an anomaly, because many of the discovered star system has gas giants (Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune) orbiting their star at a distance eve closer than Mercury.

Any theories about why that is?

Turbocharged

Any theories about why that is?

No definite theory yet. But we have to take into account that many of the system discovered are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of light years away, what we see via our telescopes now is actually the past.

There's a theory that early in our solar system's formation, the 3 gas giants are actually very close to the earth, but for some reason, it got pushed out to the orbit we see now.

So, i can only assume that those star system that we discovered are still early in the formation or are in the process of pushing the gas giants further out from the star.

But again, there are many factors which determine all these.

here's a good site to follow the Pluto New Horizons spacecraft as it travels on its journey:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/

lor_0298996694_0x630_sci_2.jpg

Size of Pluto and Charon when compared to earth.

_84256164_untitled.jpg

Lol... not that big, sia. Can go for a hike around Pluto ... maybe like walking across USA coast to coast. [laugh]

here's a good site to follow the Pluto New Horizons spacecraft as it travels on its journey:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/

lor_0298996694_0x630_sci_2.jpg

Lol... not that big, sia. Can go for a hike around Pluto ... maybe like walking across USA coast to coast. [laugh]

hopefully they do a documentary like machiam tour of the solar system from those footages

maybe 10000 years from now, humans freely tour the cosmos, machiam:

winter sonata @ Europa's frozen lakes (vs Hokkaido winter tour)

ring skatting @ Saturn

see the nebulas (vs see the aura in finland)

I try to explain to you:

1) wu jit liap jio tao

2) jin hng

3) beekok soot rocket kee ker

4) buay ah buay...jin zhuay nee

5) kuah dio jio tao

6) hip siong

7) jikop

8) bai sa ka to tng heng li

Brudder, Alright bo?

very chim man (or bear)...i got everything except no.7 ...liak bo giew .... :a-confused:

Turbocharged

News say that images may take 16 months to completely come in. So to say that today is the flyby means what? Means by calculation they guess it is flying by today? Or today start getting picture? If today start getting picture means started sending maybe days/weeks/months ago, which means flew by days/weeks/months ago? I am confused.

Turbocharged

very chim man (or bear)...i got everything except no.7 ...liak bo giew .... :a-confused:

Take foto... 1...2....3...Jikop. 😂😂😂

News say that images may take 16 months to completely come in. So to say that today is the flyby means what? Means by calculation they guess it is flying by today? Or today start getting picture? If today start getting picture means started sending maybe days/weeks/months ago, which means flew by days/weeks/months ago? I am confused.

Electrons & radio waves travels faster than the space craft (New Horizon). Space craft took 9.5 years to reach Pluto but the images will reach earth within 20 hours.

:yeah-im-not-drunk:

• Praise 1

(edited)

Google lor. Sho simper.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-it-takes-so-long-for-new-horizons-to-send-images-2015-7

Now imagine sending a deluge of data — high resolution photos, measurements of atmosphere and temperature, ultraviolet images, etc. — from that distance at just 600 to 1,200 bits per second, or about 50 to 100 times slower than the speed of a modern cable modem.

"At the data rate we have ... it takes over 2 hours to downlink a standard picture from your cell phone! That means we will spend the next 16 months transmitting all the data down to Earth,"

If a standard picture takes 0.6-1.2Kb/s to download, an album of pictures and other info will take...in their words 16 months lor.
Slower dan our ancient 56K dial up modem siol.
Edited by Watwheels

Hypersonic

Google lor. Sho simper.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-it-takes-so-long-for-new-horizons-to-send-images-2015-7

Now imagine sending a deluge of data — high resolution photos, measurements of atmosphere and temperature, ultraviolet images, etc. — from that distance at just 600 to 1,200 bits per second, or about 50 to 100 times slower than the speed of a modern cable modem.

"At the data rate we have ... it takes over 2 hours to downlink a standard picture from your cell phone! That means we will spend the next 16 months transmitting all the data down to Earth,"

If a standard picture takes 0.6-1.2Kb/s to download, an album of pictures and other info will take...in their words 16 months lor.
Slower dan our ancient 56K dial up modem siol.

That time they haven't have 4G yet... Now they should shoot another rocket with 4G data plan.

Turbocharged

Flyby happens yesterday.

The data transfer rate between the probe and earth is quite slow (think dialup 56k speed), plus the 4hrs it takes for one-way communication, means to completely download the data from the probe will take 1yr+.

Turbocharged

Can't believe humans are doing this...

I still believe man landing on the moon is fake... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

All those rocket launches from Florida can't be fake right?