Bus driver attempts to boot NSF off bus for not having money

Cerano

Supersonic

on a serious note....

i was talking to a youth who has entered NS and came to know that nowadays there is a 9 days leave for them.

walau....din know got such privilege sia, i really swagu.

No la. Last time when it was 2.5 years, we had 14 days per year. This one is confirm plus chop because I read the directive and HQ staff can take leave independently from others. Only those from coy line have to take as block leave.

When they changed it to 2 years NS, I think it is either 7 or 9 days per year.

What leave. Not as it we can suka suka go on leave. Go on leave must go on whole company level.

On sporting event. We won the inter division squash champion. Me too got few days leaves. The down side can't clear until the few months before rod.

Before ORD all go remove wisdom tooth. 2 weeks MC :XD:

↡ Advertisement

on a serious note....

i was talking to a youth who has entered NS and came to know that nowadays there is a 9 days leave for them.

walau....din know got such privilege sia, i really swagu.

i think you are a fogey....

old one.. :secret-laugh: :secret-laugh:

my time also got ns block leave leh..

are you a gen 1 soldier?? :confident:

Where got leave one ! ! ! My time signed 7 extra weekend duty have lah.. 7 days leave , wait long long....

(edited)

This isnt a life or death decision thing just letting a guy onboard or not. I dont think you need senior management to decide that

Talk is easy. Bus driver is to drive and make sure everyone board the bus pays. He is not in the senior management and he cannot and must not decide on such issues. The bus company consists of shareholders and objective is to make money and meet KPI. If driver kana caught giving free rides, an enquiry may be put up. Some may think how often has he been doing that and then is it a norm the rest of the drivers are doing that too. Not all senior management thinks like what you think if you are in that position. There are rules and system to follow. Bus driver is to drive only and not decide when and whose money he has to make for the company.

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 1

Talk is easy. Bus driver is to drive and make sure everyone board the bus pays. He is not in the senior management and he cannot and must not decide on such issues. The bus company consists of shareholders and objective is to make money and meet KPI. If driver kana caught giving free rides, an enquiry may be put up. Some may think how often has he been doing that and then is it a norm the rest of the drivers are doing that too. Not all senior management thinks like what you think if you are in that position. There are rules and system to follow. Bus driver is to drive only and not decide when and whose money he has to make for the company.

Excellent point, thats y i dont understand what is the fuss about

Its just a non paying passenger who happened to be an NS man

Just imagine what if everyone wants a free ride

• Praise 2

Many thoughts about this.

Last time when I was just a kid, I remembered that I dropped my 50 cent coin (which was to be my bus fare, and only cash available left) into the drain just before I board the bus. Bus driver saw already simply waved me on and told me never mind.

It's things like this that makes a gracious society. Not everything has to be about money and KPI. Human beings (like bus drivers) should be able to use discretion to make exceptions, and not just focus solely on keeping the company line and making profits.

I also agree that our NSFs should be given more benefits, especially since it's conscript and they're not getting paid a whole lot for what is quite a lot of work. Free public transport is one way to go to help them.

All in all, it just boils down to the type of society we want to have, and what we can do to achieve it. If we want a nicer, more gracious society, then things like these do help and go a long way. Otherwise we'll just all become money-churning robots who only think about the bottomline and survival of the fittest. No money then GTFO.

(edited)

I think if its a kid, the situation would be very different

A kid cant fend for himself yet, many will help one on the streets anytime

For adults, we need to plan our own transport route, mode and fare

A NS man is old enough to father a child

From this perspective, graciousness is taken out of context in the NS man case, because the bus driver is not operating a charity.

He can of coz let a non-paying passenger on board but today with people keep stomping about the tiniest things, what if he was praised for his kind act but ended up with trouble with his company for doing so?

Common sense would tell us that in their policy and procedure, they are not supposed to let non-paying passenger on board

A bus driver does not earn much,we cant expect them to risk their job.

& for the NS man, it's not difficult to find ways to find the fare needed to go home instead of asking for a free ride

Edited by Pinobii

He can of coz let a non-paying passenger on board but today with people keep stomping about the tiniest things, what if he was praised for his kind act but ended up with trouble with his company for doing so?

I think it's terrible to live life that way, to constantly worry about being nitpicked on Stomp and social media. It's like you just can't do the right thing no matter what.

For one, I really like to see this cancer of Stomp being shut down once and for all. It's breeding cynicism and nastiness in our society.

• Praise 1

I think it's terrible to live life that way, to constantly worry about being nitpicked on Stomp and social media. It's like you just can't do the right thing no matter what.

For one, I really like to see this cancer of Stomp being shut down once and for all. It's breeding cynicism and nastiness in our society.

I totally agree with you, I hate the way it has become too. Sometimes, the news are really one sided too.

To become a gracious society, the mindset of catching people's mistake and shaming them must be a well thought process and the stomper must understand the full extend of the circumstances before sending a post in.

These days, even the tiniest things are published.

I believe that any posts should be a constructive post with a purpose of improving the society intended.

I live by the principle, live and let live. Sometimes, people do make mistakes...

• Praise 1

(edited)

For sure it's something wrong if the bus driver consistently gives everyone free rides but im sure it is within his discretion for exceptional circumstances as such for the uniformed personnel defending our land.

If any senior management takes it up as an issue I think they would face a barrage of public derision just like Kallang Leisure Mall. An enquiry for supporting our country's soldiers with acts of tangible kindness? Don't forget too SMRT/SBS are owned in part by the state. Is this the kind of image that they would want to portray?

That's too much of a slippery slope argument just because you let one guy aboard means you let everyone aboard without paying.

Likewise another example given by bro Beehive, if the driver's role is just to drive if he encounters a life or death should he also wait for senior management's approval to decide?

I totally agree with you, I hate the way it has become too. Sometimes, the news are really one sided too.

To become a gracious society, the mindset of catching people's mistake and shaming them must be a well thought process and the stomper must understand the full extend of the circumstances before sending a post in.

These days, even the tiniest things are published.

I believe that any posts should be a constructive post with a purpose of improving the society intended.

I live by the principle, live and let live. Sometimes, people do make mistakes...

Do the right thing and you'll never be wrong

I think if its a kid, the situation would be very different

A kid cant fend for himself yet, many will help one on the streets anytime

For adults, we need to plan our own transport route, mode and fare

A NS man is old enough to father a child

From this perspective, graciousness is taken out of context in the NS man case, because the bus driver is not operating a charity.

Common sense would tell us that in their policy and procedure, they are not supposed to let non-paying passenger on board

A bus driver does not earn much,we cant expect them to risk their job.

& for the NS man, it's not difficult to find ways to find the fare needed to go home instead of asking for a free ride

It is true that the NSF has the ability to arrange for other transport however I am taking issue with the driver's handling of the situation. Furthermore you will note that the NSF did not board with the intention of obtaining a free ride but rather he just ran out of enough money in his ezlink. Since the guy is already onboard, asking him to debus is excessive. In fact, I can't say I support timid people who follow rules blindly without considering the context

Edited by Cerano
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Already nobody here wants to be a bus driver, stop making the bus driver look bad.

Actually I want to be a bus driver. One of these days I will go for the walk-in interview at SMRT bus. 😊

That aside, I tend to side with @Cerano on this issue. That is the bus driver should have excercised descretion based on what is presented.

How many times we are frustrated by ground staffs when they hide behind the "I am ONLY working" excuse for their incompetence? Do I have to talk to the management on every single small issue? If the rule doesn't make sense (in the context of the problem), I don't mind talking to the CEO, CFO or C3PO, if they can be bothered.

While I understand that rules are made by the management in the interest of the company, it is equally important that the ground staff, who are probably the only face we will meet when dealing with the company, to understand the problem and make the necessary call. While it might contravene with the rule, it just might further the interest of the company. That is why we have service staffs on the ground to add the human touch.

When a rule is broken once too many, it is then the management's responsibilty to review and set new guidelines on the said rule with effective communication coupled with good sense. Ultimately, all 3 parties will improve the level of service and the ultimate winner are the stakeholders.

• Praise 4

can only say 1 thing.....ziploc plastic bags......hahaha! But i always wonder why must bring pt kit.......training exercise where got time wear pt kit! Our standby always given notice in advance wan.....no last minute standby! We always prepare a few days before we standby.....during that time the fullpacks items wont see the light of day except for pt shoes and slippers! Some buy extra slippers but wtgat the heck......can borrow from them when needed.....😂😂😂😂.

yes.. at first use black trash bag and wrap with tape.

then upgrade to ziplock bag.

but ziplock always leak and lao hong.

the PT kit is for admin purpose which I don't think I will understand.. maybe out field camp can wear?

anyway shoe keep so long not used will also spoil.. TMD

(edited)

For sure it's something wrong if the bus driver consistently gives everyone free rides but im sure it is within his discretion for exceptional circumstances as such for the uniformed personnel defending our land.

If any senior management takes it up as an issue I think they would face a barrage of public derision just like Kallang Leisure Mall. An enquiry for supporting our country's soldiers with acts of tangible kindness? Don't forget too SMRT/SBS are owned in part by the state. Is this the kind of image that they would want to portray?

That's too much of a slippery slope argument just because you let one guy aboard means you let everyone aboard without paying.

Likewise another example given by bro Beehive, if the driver's role is just to drive if he encounters a life or death should he also wait for senior management's approval to decide?

I really do not understand you when you compared this situation with life and death issue. Common sense. Miles apart in making a decision. There are rules and regulations, red tapes in big organisation. You just cannot do things at your own whim and fancy. Someone can get fired. We do not know what the driver is expected from him and what is the expectation of the senior management. If every driver can do this or thinks he can do this or that, then you find a lot of uniform staff with no or little value SMRT/bus card taking public transport without the need to pay. Then should we extend to kids, students, pioneers etc if all have their own reasons. Slowly and surely, it becomes weakness in the system. There is certain discipline in life and in our work. Don't be quick to push the blame.

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 1

No la. Last time when it was 2.5 years, we had 14 days per year. This one is confirm plus chop because I read the directive and HQ staff can take leave independently from others. Only those from coy line have to take as block leave.

When they changed it to 2 years NS, I think it is either 7 or 9 days per year.

Before ORD all go remove wisdom tooth. 2 weeks MC :XD:

NB.. I take wisdom tooth out one day Att C and one Att B

yes.. at first use black trash bag and wrap with tape.

then upgrade to ziplock bag.

but ziplock always leak and lao hong.

the PT kit is for admin purpose which I don't think I will understand.. maybe out field camp can wear?

anyway shoe keep so long not used will also spoil.. TMD

my pt shoes was those ahpek type of shoes initially.....then changed to those nameless type of sport shoes that didnt even last 3 month......😡😡😡😡
  • Praise 1

my pt shoes was those ahpek type of shoes initially.....then changed to those nameless type of sport shoes that didnt even last 3 month......😡😡😡😡

yes I recall it was a black shoe with beige sole.

no sole support, really bad for running.

that's what we get for getting the lowest bidder to supply stuff.

these suppliers do a roaring trade..

I really do not understand you when you compared this situation with life and death issue. Common sense. Miles apart in making a decision. There are rules and regulations, red tapes in big organisation. You just cannot do things at your own whim and fancy. Someone can get fired. We do not know what the driver is expected from him and what is the expectation of the senior management. If every driver can do this or thinks he can do this or that, then you find a lot of uniform staff with no or little value SMRT/bus card taking public transport without the need to pay. Then should we extend to kids, students, pioneers etc if all have their own reasons. Slowly and surely, it becomes weakness in the system. There is certain discipline in life and in our work. Don't be quick to push the blame.

I agree with you in that you should not do things at your whim and fancy. But simple acts of compassion and kindness should be universal to every single thinking adult out there.

Bavarian is right, we have humans at the front line vs robots for a reason, to provide the human touch.

While I can't agree to let everyone onboard for free, i dont think that exceptional cases like this will cause a slippery slope in that direction.

In fact, many of us here will no doubt be happy to pay that $2 just to make someone's day be it an NSF, Elderly person or child.

SBS/SMRT prides itself only service standards. This is an exact example of what service can be.

Think to yourself honestly, would any public company fire you for doing something utterly commendable and the right thing to do?

Just commenting from my experience. I was once flexible to someone also in the hospital. Then the next person demanded the same flexibility but I rejected cos even exercising that 1 flexibility already cause a strain in resources.

I ended up facing accusations that I allowed because of skin colour.

My point here is that if people want to accuse the driver of being biased towards the ns men, they will not say why the ns man can take bus for free but my grandparent cannot. They will find other things to accuse the driver of.

Yea, I know frontliners should be compassionate also but before we accuse front liners of following rules and behave like robots, we need to realise that not all passengers are nice. Only the ones that supported the ns man appeared in this forum but u never know how many others were on the bus, ready to make complaint if the bus driver had been flexible.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3