Whats the driving protocol for Emergency vehicles?

Obey_my_dog

Does anyone know how & when should an ambulance, fire truck, police vehicle(bike or car), use its lights and sirens? Just lights? just sirens? Just sirens and lights at the same time?

If anyone knows where to get this information pls advise and post the link here.

It would help many motorist to have a clear idea of whether they should yield to the emergency vehicle or it is ok to proceed as per normal.

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

Does anyone know how & when should an ambulance, fire truck, police vehicle(bike or car), use its lights and sirens? Just lights? just sirens? Just sirens and lights at the same time?

If anyone knows where to get this information pls advise and post the link here.

It would help many motorist to have a clear idea of whether they should yield to the emergency vehicle or it is ok to proceed as per normal.

see ambulance behind bee poh bee poh

you still don't siam? [confused]

giphy.gif

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Dun care proper protocol ...Just make it easy

1. No Lights - treat like P plate lady driver - super polite, lots of space and let merge but no different rules

2. Lights but no siren - you should be able to see them coming from very far - give way at the earliest opportunity, plan ahead the merge so don't hold them up, don't wait until they are right behind you before merging - do whatever you can to make their life easy, even if you have the right of way

3. Lights plus siren - get out of the way right farking now!! Do absolutely everything you can to let them through as fast as fast can be.

• Praise 3

3. Lights plus siren - get out of the way right farking now!! Do absolutely everything you can to let them through as fast as fast can be.

If it boils down to 3. get out of way or you'll find yourself on the receiving end of a nice fine [laugh]

This usually motivates drivers in Singapore. :a-fun:

TS P Plate? Don't ask stupid question leh. On lights means emergency, got siren no siren just Siam. I never see a ambulance chiong fast with no light. Police I see only those express patrol unit come up fast and usually, just siam la. If have to wait until they on light, means they are stopping you. So be smart ok, don't ask stupid question again. Okay, next question pls.

• Praise 4

Hypersonic
(edited)

Just do what is right and use common sense. Move aside if the lights are on.

Not everything have to ask what is black and white.

Edited by Fcw75

Taken from

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT

(CHAPTER 276, SECTION 140)

ROAD TRAFFIC RULES

R 20

G.N. No. S 171/1981

REVISED EDITION 1999

(30th September 1999)

[25th May 1981]

Ambulance, fire engine, etc., to have right of way

12.—(1) Any vehicle used as an ambulance, or as a fire engine or for military, police, civil defence or customs purposes shall, when on an urgent duty call, have the right of way over all other traffic if such vehicle makes known its approach by means of some distinctive siren, bell or multi-toned horn, as the case may be.

(2) All traffic shall on the approach of any such vehicle, draw in as close to the left-hand or right-hand edge of the roadway as possible and all vehicles shall be brought to a standstill to allow a clear passage for such vehicle.

(3) Such action shall only be required of traffic when the vehicle is giving its recognised audible warning.

(4) Paragraph (1) shall not relieve the driver of any vehicle used for the purposes mentioned in that paragraph of his liability under the provisions of any law relating to dangerous, rash or negligent driving.

• Praise 1

I think its covered in another thread. U can search my posts.

Anyway, don't be so fixated on emergency vehicles. Any vehicle that is coming up fast behind you, just give way.

We have actually received cardiac arrest cases who come by cab, CPR being done at the back seat of the cab.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

I think TS knows to give way when an ambulance is coming up behind you. For me it's situations at traffic light junctions where the ambulance wants to turn right or go straight during a red light and you on the oncoming direction actually slows down or stop to let him go. But the ambulance just sits there and not move. So his reaction is unexpected. When I drove in the U.S. It's always give way and the ambulance will chiong thru

• Praise 1

In some situations (where patient inside is panic to Siren), Ambulances do not use Siren - This is well covered if you do any First Aider courses.

To me, if I see any Ambulance with or w/o Siren or Lights, I give way for a simple reason that if they reach their destination faster even in their normal trips, they can really go earlier to places where they are really required. May be I am too optimistic.

• Praise 2

Trust me, I'm familiar with this.

Blinker and siren, or just blinker, mean the same thing. Give way.

You know why sometimes no siren? Because some Singaporeans complain and say it disturbs their rest and not necessary if traffic conditions are good. And now the crew spooked by complaints.

What kind of society we want to create, is up to us.

• Praise 2

I guess the highlighted is not true. I have seen Ambulances using Siren in the nights too. Normally the Ambulances temporarily stop siren when there is no use of putting Siren. For example if they are struck behind a couple of cars in a traffic light.

I do not think sensible Singaporeans complain for noise made by Ambulances any time. If there are, they will know the importance of the siren when their close blood laying in an Ambulance!

Trust me, I'm familiar with this.

Blinker and siren, or just blinker, mean the same thing. Give way.

You know why sometimes no siren? Because some Singaporeans complain and say it disturbs their rest and not necessary if traffic conditions are good. And now the crew spooked by complaints.

What kind of society we want to create, is up to us.

Turbocharged

if i'm not wrong;

1. no siren: no emergency condition, vehicle is just going from point A to point B (typically RTB?), no emergency

2. lights but no siren sound: they have to get to where they are supposed to go quickly, but it may not be a serious emergency - i think sometimes ambulance drivers will just turn on lights when they want to get back to the hospital quickly even if no patient onboard, but sometimes it can be a non-emergency patient.

3. lights with siren: EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY. GET THERE ASAP. i.e. if you are in front of them let them past.

1 is correct

2 and 3 are same

if i'm not wrong;

1. no siren: no emergency condition, vehicle is just going from point A to point B (typically RTB?), no emergency

2. lights but no siren sound: they have to get to where they are supposed to go quickly, but it may not be a serious emergency - i think sometimes ambulance drivers will just turn on lights when they want to get back to the hospital quickly even if no patient onboard, but sometimes it can be a non-emergency patient.

3. lights with siren: EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY. GET THERE ASAP. i.e. if you are in front of them let them past.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2