How to move to public sector?

Blacksnow

I am contemplating a move into the public sector so I had a good look at careers@gov

All my friends are in the private sector so I have no one who can help me with the questions that I have.

Short summary about me:

- mid 30s

- so about 10 years working experience

- poor honors degree in engineering (NUS)

1) Is it easy to move to public sector (considering my degree is just 3rd class)? Do they usually reserve the vacancies for people who have previously worked in the public sector?

2) I am confused by the job titles. How do I know what is suitable for me? Manager, assistant manager, deputy director....I don't want to appear a fool to apply for a wrong position. There is so much variation in the title.

3) And salary. how do I know what salary does a manager or AM or DD get?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

1) I think should be easy to move to gov sector.

2) Should be Manager position.

3) Ask for something close to ur current pay, let them counter.

The above is what I observed happened to my bro who is in gov sector now. Same type of degree as u.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

The above is what I observed happened to my bro who is in gov sector now. Same type of degree as u.

they still value paper much over experience right?

they still value paper much over experience right?

When applying for the job and subsequent promotion, paper is still valuable. A poly grad(w/o a degree) will never be able to be promoted to director level despite what LHL presented in the National Day Rally.

I am contemplating a move into the public sector so I had a good look at careers@gov

All my friends are in the private sector so I have no one who can help me with the questions that I have.

Short summary about me:

- mid 30s

- so about 10 years working experience

- poor honors degree in engineering (NUS)

1) Is it easy to move to public sector (considering my degree is just 3rd class)? Do they usually reserve the vacancies for people who have previously worked in the public sector?

2) I am confused by the job titles. How do I know what is suitable for me? Manager, assistant manager, deputy director....I don't want to appear a fool to apply for a wrong position. There is so much variation in the title.

3) And salary. how do I know what salary does a manager or AM or DD get?

i explored a transistion to public sector before.

few points i can share.

1) hons will affect your CEP ( current estimated potential) which is your long term career ceiling.

2) titles are grossly over inflated in the public sector. AD/DD should be what you are looking at with your level of experience depending on which stat board or ministry.

3) salary. if you're looking at a up, you will be sorely disappointed. from what i know. how they do it is that they will base on your years of experience (e.g 10 yrs) and give a discount based on the relevance of experience. ( e.g. 20%) then benchmark on peers in the civil service to come up with an offer.

hence you would have to expect to take a paycut if you are a high flyer in the private sector i.e doing above the median. it's only worth it if you are doing below the median for your age in the private sector

2011 Civil Service Salary Range

Job grade: MX9 (Superscale)

Job title: Deputy Director, Director

Pay scale: S$10,580 – S$14,550 / S$14,551 – S$16,540

Job grade: MX10

Job title: Assistant Director, Deputy Director

Pay scale: S$6,350 – S$9,050 / S$9,051 – S$10,400

Job grade: MX11

Job title: Manager, Assistant Director

Pay scale: S$4,100 – S$6,160 / S$6,161 – S$7,190

Job grade: MX12

Job title: Assistant Manager, Manager

Pay scale: S$2,550 – S$5,130

Job grade: MX13

Job title: Management Executive

Pay scale: up to S$2,800 for fresh graduates

• Praise 1

easy to get in.

but at which level ?

go in too low, eventually you will get disatisfied and leave eventually.

and not to forget, private sector have a tendency to discount civil service experience.

so you end up LPPL

Turbocharged

Erm.. above $16,540 is what scale.. stellar scale?

Joke aside.. This kind need MBA from prestigious uni right? Zapalang degree wait long long despite experience correct?

few points i can share.

1) hons will affect your CEP ( current estimated potential) which is your long term career ceiling.

2) titles are grossly over inflated in the public sector. AD/DD should be what you are looking at with your level of experience depending on which stat board or ministry.

3) salary. if you're looking at a up, you will be sorely disappointed. from what i know. how they do it is that they will base on your years of experience (e.g 10 yrs) and give a discount based on the relevance of experience. ( e.g. 20%) then benchmark on peers in the civil service to come up with an offer.

hence you would have to expect to take a paycut if you are a high flyer in the private sector i.e doing above the median. it's only worth it if you are doing below the median for your age in the private sector

thanks. Your info is very useful.

I have just applied for 2 jobs, both "manager" positions as I was rather daunted by the title of Deputy Director.

Joke aside.. This kind need MBA from prestigious uni right? Zapalang degree wait long long despite experience correct?

actually not that impossible to get.

i dun know someone with 3rd class hons from ntu who is a full director at a stat board already with about 10 yrs experience.

not sure on his exact pay, but i would assume on the low side of the range.

maybe stat board and full ministries have different naming conventions for the MX levels

his mba is from ntu by the way

• Praise 1

few points i can share.

so did you make the jump eventually?

i would think that it would be better to be over ambitious than underambitious for CS. lol

http://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary-538.html#.Va4D26Sqqko

reading this thread might help. but take what you read with a huge shovel full of salt.

thanks. Your info is very useful.

I have just applied for 2 jobs, both "manager" positions as I was rather daunted by the title of Deputy Director.

Hypersonic

few points i can share.

got 2015 inflation adjusted figures bo?

otherwise many MCFers will muayhahahaha at superscale

:D

easy to get in.

but at which level ?

go in too low, eventually you will get disatisfied and leave eventually.

and not to forget, private sector have a tendency to discount civil service experience.

so you end up LPPL

Quite true.

My bro went in at Manager level. After many years and moved three different Sat Board, still stuck at Manager level. But its iron rice bowl lah.

got 2015 inflation adjusted figures bo?

otherwise many MCFers will muayhahahaha at superscale

:D

lol

dun have lah.. just happen to saw on the forum so share here for bro's reference.

limpei is not HR in CS leh.

where got updated numbers sia

From what i know/heard, these are for the scholars.

My friend who joined told me his career path is already planned before he even start work. Hard to climb beyond unless he do something extraordinary amazing.

so did you make the jump eventually?

nope.

i was doing better in the private sector and rather ahead of my peers.

just didn't see the need to regress in my career in search of a so called "iron rice bowl" . only reason i went for interview was that my current field is rather niche and abit unstable so i was looking to diversify as my wife and myself was in the same industry.

when i interviewed at a stat board few yrs ago, i was at about 6-7yr experience drawing abt 7k. their offer for AD was only 5.5k. how to accept? LOL

don't mind i ask what's your motivation for joining the civil service and what's your expected salary range in the CS?

• Praise 1

nope.

i was doing better in the private sector and rather ahead of my peers.

just didn't see the need to regress in my career in search of a so called "iron rice bowl" . only reason i went for interview was that my current field is rather niche and abit unstable so i was looking to diversify as my wife and myself was in the same industry.

when i interviewed at a stat board few yrs ago, i was at about 6-7yr experience drawing abt 7k. their offer for AD was only 5.5k. how to accept? LOL

don't mind i ask what's your motivation for joining the civil service and what's your expected salary range in the CS?

my company had already conducted the first wave of retrenchment.

now there is a strong possibility that it might just pack up and relocate.

↡ Advertisement