(edited)

This is MCF, we are all elites lah.

Dun rub it in la.

Strawberry gen cannot take it wan.

😆

Edited by Piyopico
↡ Advertisement

This is typical human nature.

If successful, is because of own talent and hard work. Upbringing, background and opportunity is like 10% of the equation.

If f*cke uped, is because background and opportunity crappy. Own talent and hard work is 10% of the equation.

We have to recognise that luck and what Enye said earlier plays the biggest role. And be thankful for that.

• Praise 1

(edited)

This is typical human nature.

If successful, is because of own talent and hard work. Upbringing, background and opportunity is like 10% of the equation.

If f*cke uped, is because background and opportunity crappy. Own talent and hard work is 10% of the equation.

Wrong,

only an idiot will deny that success is highly due to upbringing background and therefore opportunity.

But only an idiot will also think that that is that ONLY WAY and that he should be given what others were born with.

Are you saying that the people here are all idiots?

Typical human nature is thinking that one deserves what the other has, no matter whether he has worked for it or otherwise. That is typical human nature. We can choose to be typical or otherwise.

I am certainly not typical. Are you?

Muayhahahahahaha

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

I still waiting for someone to lend me the $ so that I can turn elite overnight

Maybe Singapore pools would be that fairy godmother?

😂

I said already lending you is not the issue .

The issue is whether you will pay back in good time or not?

Wahahahaa

Hypersonic

I said already lending you is not the issue .

The issue is whether you will pay back in good time or not?

Wahahahaa

Trust me lah

I have mcf honor

If I don't return, ask mod to ban me from mcf permanently

😂

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

life is what you make of it.

if you think life is unfair, you're not on a level playing field etc etc then it will all become a self-fulfilling prophecy and you will go through life miserable and with a terrible grudge and on your deathbed will probably still go on about how things could've been different if only life had given you a break etc etc

the author's seemingly low self-esteem is not helping either

• Praise 2

The reason life is unfair is simply

because we are unfair.

I really try to be fair to everyone

but I find that I am only attracted

to syt fem lesbians from Japan,

Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam and Thailand.

No matter how much I try to like a butch

I really just cannot do it.

:D

• Praise 8

Well, I'm not devilishly handsome nor am I built like a Greek god, but I'm happy with what I am bestowed with... Charisma and charm comes naturally with confidence so one generally doesn't have to work hard on that... Smart?? Nah!! I learn along the way.. Lol ... I must confess that my wife is the one who is born smart ... And kind hearted?? Well generally so, but I'm ashamed to say I can be very nasty at times when my feathers are ruffled.. Lol

It's a plate of Hor Fun right to the face... Haha, with cai xin dripping down your face... Well you get the picture!!! Not a very pleasant experience at all!! Lol

Please don't forget to add

modest and humble too. [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 10

life is what you make of it.

if you think life is unfair, you're not on a level playing field etc etc then it will all become a self-fulfilling prophecy and you will go through life miserable and with a terrible grudge and on your deathbed will probably still go on about how things could've been different if only life had given you a break etc etc

the author's seemingly low self-esteem is not helping either

Be thankful he is born in Singapore, where even the underdogs have a chance to make it big. Like T2, from humble HDB to big ass landed property in Serangoon Garden or is it CCK, all in a span of less than 20 years.

It would be interesting to see how some of our MCF elites will fare if they are born into a poor and uneducated family in Zambawee. Hardwork and intelligence won't be enough but will ensure you don't starve.

But I do agree Singapore society is getting more and more polarized and the gap between the elites and the heartlanders is widening. No doubt you can cross the divide with hardwork, some luck and a lot of networking, it is still a disadvantage, we just need to ensure the gap will not continue to widen (i thought Ho Kwan Ping makes a very good argument on this in below article which I have extracted).

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/keeping-the-singapore-dream-alive

The common element between the American and Singapore dreams is simply that both societies are audacious, brash and young enough to believe that whoever you are, and wherever you come from, this is your land of opportunity. This is where you can achieve your personal and family dreams, and pursue a life of meaning and purpose.

But this is more the immigrant's dream of Singapore than the Singaporean's dream, simply because many citizens do not now feel that they can achieve anything if only they just tried. Yet it is crucial to Singapore's continuing survival and well-being to maintain, nurture and polish this dream, both in terms of keeping its borders open to the outside world, as well as maintaining social mobility within.

Social mobility

SECOND, improving social mobility and the egalitarian ethos.

The path to success in Singapore has largely been through academic merit in transparent national examinations.

But having already achieved 50 years of continuous growth from Third World to First, over time the Singapore model is in danger of being a static meritocracy, which sieves people based on only a narrow measure of capability in single snapshots of time - examination results basically - and from there on creates a self-perpetuating elite class. Ironically, the original social leveller and purest form of Singapore-style meritocracy - our education system - may perpetuate inter-generational class stratification rather than level the playing field. The warning signs are clear:

Only 40 per cent of pupils in the most prestigious primary schools live in HDB flats, in contrast with 80 per cent of all primary school pupils residing in HDB flats.

More than half of Public Service Commission (PSC) scholarship recipients live in private housing, compared with only 15 per cent of the general population. And 60 per cent of PSC scholarship holders come from only two schools - Raffles and Hwa Chong.

Sixty-three per cent of university-educated fathers, 37 per cent of those with secondary school qualifications, and only 12 per cent of fathers with primary education or less, had children with university degrees.

No doubt, the index for social mobility is still higher in Singapore than in many other countries, including some of the famously egalitarian Nordic countries. This is comforting but no reason for complacency, especially against a background of worsening income inequality globally.

• Praise 1

too negative la. I know so many pple who grew up in blue collar parents environment with many siblings but stil made it good.

its the drive and will of the person not the surroundings.

Agreed. What is wrong with neighbourhood school? In the end me and my wife still fare better than our uni classmates from top jcs. In fact, most of my friends who are rich now were those boh tak cek kind and from poor background.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

the internet age is suposed to reduce polarity.

if knowledge is power, anyone with broadband will have access to the massive universe of well-structured, free knowledge from even the most elite universities, FOC.

you also don't need to have a rich dad or have a powerful network to show off your unique talent on youtube, etc etc

in short, if you have talent, its easier to be successful today than in the past, regardless of background.

Only 40 per cent of pupils in the most prestigious primary schools live in HDB flats, in contrast with 80 per cent of all primary school pupils residing in HDB flats.
More than half of Public Service Commission (PSC) scholarship recipients live in private housing, compared with only 15 per cent of the general population. And 60 per cent of PSC scholarship holders come from only two schools - Raffles and Hwa Chong.
Sixty-three per cent of university-educated fathers, 37 per cent of those with secondary school qualifications, and only 12 per cent of fathers with primary education or less, had children with university degrees.

No doubt, the index for social mobility is still higher in Singapore than in many other countries, including some of the famously egalitarian Nordic countries. This is comforting but no reason for complacency, especially against a background of worsening income inequality globally.

Scholar kids living in better, 'unequal' conditions are a natural product of the parents' positive values. Their parents are smart, hardworking, talented, put it to good use and end up living in the nicer houses, and pass on those good values to their kids. No mysteries there.

What bugs me is that they hog the scholarships at the expense of those needy ones.

A scholarship is supposed to be a financial aid. I'd be happy to see a bank president's son turn away the financial part of a scholarship and the company in turn offers it to a needy one on the list.

Edited by Karoon

Agreed. What is wrong with neighbourhood school? In the end me and my wife still fare better than our uni classmates from top jcs. In fact, most of my friends who are rich now were those boh tak cek kind and from poor background.

It is a matter of statistics. There are more neighborhoodsschools thus more people from these schools will try starting businesses. A small percentage will succeed. In absolute numbers, This small percentage is still much more than a bigger percentage from the few elite schools.

Also the fact that those with better grades have options of good paying, safe jobs in govt or MNC, no need to risk by starting businesses. Others don't have this safe career option, forcing some of them to cheong! And some will make it good.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Life is never fair; but that's the job of the garmen i.e. to take care of the less fortunate and bridge the widening income gap.....

Edited by chooyaochuen

Turbocharged

the internet age is suposed to reduce polarity.

if knowledge is power, anyone with broadband will have access to the massive universe of well-structured, free knowledge from even the most elite universities, FOC.

you also don't need to have a rich dad or have a powerful network to show off your unique talent on youtube, etc etc

in short, if you have talent, its easier to be successful today than in the past, regardless of background.

Scholar kids living in better, 'unequal' conditions are a natural product of the parents' positive values. Their parents are smart, hardworking, talented, put it to good use and end up living in the nicer houses, and pass on those good values to their kids. No mysteries there.

What bugs me is that they hog the scholarships at the expense of those needy ones.

A scholarship is supposed to be a financial aid. I'd be happy to see a bank president's son turn away the financial part of a scholarship and the company in turn offers it to a needy one on the list.

Is a scholarship a financial aid? Aren't those classified under bursary?

• Praise 3

I am fine if the author of this article wants to rant.

But beyond his rant, what is he trying to achieve? Does he have an alternative proposal?

↡ Advertisement