Cordless power tool system - which one ?

Kklee

I am looking for a cordless power tool system, most likely 18v, which I can grow with.

It would be for home and automotive use.

For a start, I am looking at a impact wrench to remove the wheel lug nuts.

I am also looking at a good impact drill for masonry work for the home.

There are numerous brands of these cordless power tool system e.g. Makita, Bosch, Ryobi, Milwukee, etc.

Do share your experience, please.

↡ Advertisement

I have not use them during my younger days ( they are not available yet ), but from my understanding interacting with overseas professional mechs , Makita & Milwukee are the most popular with them.

Supersonic

I am looking for a cordless power tool system, most likely 18v, which I can grow with.

It would be for home and automotive use.

For a start, I am looking at a impact wrench to remove the wheel lug nuts.

I am also looking at a good impact drill for masonry work for the home.

There are numerous brands of these cordless power tool system e.g. Makita, Bosch, Ryobi, Milwukee, etc.

Do share your experience, please.

For wheel nuts, I have a deWalt 18v, which does 300 ft-lb.

Max torque is extremely important, if you go lower than 300 ft-lb to 100 ft-lb, you might have trouble removing wheel nuts.

You would need 1/2" drive. At 3/8" or 1/4", there is loss of torque.

So if you stay at 1/2" drive, all your sockets and accessories must be 1/2" or you can get adaptors for 3/8" and 1/4"

For general home use, 1/4" hex impact driver is very useful. I have Makita and deWalt.

For making holes in concrete and masonry, I'd use a AC powered rotary hammer drill.

Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, they are all good, as long as you take care of them.

For tool selection, preferably go for those with lithium-ion battery. They usually last longer, if you keep them fully charged, most of the time. NiCd has "memory-effect" problem and last shorter.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

All the brands above are now Made in China,actually all is about the same,get one that got many service centres...

Just curious, can we use our cordless power tools as a make shift car polish equipment by attaching a polishing pad on its business end?

• Praise 1

I get my stuff here as it's near my workplace. They have a few branches. Now they have delivery on purchases above $100. Their prices are competitive compared to those DIY stores in shopping malls.

http://www.horme.com.sg/index.aspx

Their range is very wide and all sorts of prices to suit your budget. IMO it's better to go down to the store to have a better look.

Twincharged

Just curious, can we use our cordless power tools as a make shift car polish equipment by attaching a polishing pad on its business end?

Nooo...too fast...will damage the paint.

I get my stuff here as it's near my workplace. They have a few branches. Now they have delivery on purchases above $100. Their prices are competitive compared to those DIY stores in shopping malls.

Their range is very wide and all sorts of prices to suit your budget. IMO it's better to go down to the store to have a better look.

Horme got 80 workers & 3 very high paying Directors,all driving the S class,such high overhead,how can it be cheap.?

I have not use them during my younger days ( they are not available yet ), but from my understanding interacting with overseas professional mechs , Makita & Milwukee are the most popular with them.

Thank you for the info. I sort of have in mine Makita. I must do more research on Milwuakee. [cool]

For wheel nuts, I have a deWalt 18v, which does 300 ft-lb.

Max torque is extremely important, if you go lower than 300 ft-lb to 100 ft-lb, you might have trouble removing wheel nuts.

You would need 1/2" drive. At 3/8" or 1/4", there is loss of torque.

So if you stay at 1/2" drive, all your sockets and accessories must be 1/2" or you can get adaptors for 3/8" and 1/4"

For general home use, 1/4" hex impact driver is very useful. I have Makita and deWalt.

For making holes in concrete and masonry, I'd use a AC powered rotary hammer drill.

Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, they are all good, as long as you take care of them.

For tool selection, preferably go for those with lithium-ion battery. They usually last longer, if you keep them fully charged, most of the time. NiCd has "memory-effect" problem and last shorter.

I have not called the shops yet but the e-commerce local sites, the range doesn't seem to be extensive for Makita or deWalt.

I am eyeing on the Makita XWT02Z on Amazon. I am not sure if it is available locally and the prices seems higher.

Any recommendations on local stores ?

I did check them out but they don't have the one I wanted. I have to visit them again to look at the Milwuakee.

Really like to visit them at Ubi. [cool]

All the brands above are now Made in China,actually all is about the same,get one that got many service centres...

Eh... which one got the most service centres?

Twincharged

Thank you for the info. I sort of have in mine Makita. I must do more research on Milwuakee. [cool]

I have not called the shops yet but the e-commerce local sites, the range doesn't seem to be extensive for Makita or deWalt.

I am eyeing on the Makita XWT02Z on Amazon. I am not sure if it is available locally and the prices seems higher.

I did check them out but they don't have the one I wanted. I have to visit them again to look at the Milwuakee.

Really like to visit them at Ubi. [cool]

Eh... which one got the most service centres?

Milwuakee sole distributor is Chee Fatt,tel 62942066...

Milwuakee sole distributor is Chee Fatt,tel 62942066...

I think I come across that.

I will check out the range and pricing at Horme first before calling.

Hope not too ex.

Twincharged

I think I come across that.

I will check out the range and pricing at Horme first before calling.

Hope not too ex.

Give me the model number,i knew Chee Fatt's Poh family,can get dealer price for you.

Supersonic
(edited)

Bought a dewalt bcuz it's cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-Tool-DW059HB-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B00545PHI6/

But need to add another battery and charger.

For dewalt, you can wait for sale, sometimes you get extra 10% ~ 25% off at Amazon.

Local store, you can visit Horme at Ubi Crescent, but the price is a bit on the high side.

I've look at their Milwaukee right-angle drill, cost almost $500. I bought it off ebay, about $300 delivered to SG.

Check their price here:

http://www.horme.com.sg/

Edited by Kb27

Twincharged

Using makita 18v for the last 4years. Have the following.

Vacuum cleaner

Impact wrench btw251

Impact wrench btw450

Angle grinder

Rotary impact drill.

Very pleased with them so far. All were bought from the USA including the battery and charger. Except the vacuum cleaner. Had to use a transformer as the charger is 120v.

Local prices for makita are crazy for most of the items. Thus everything bought from the U.S.

I would go for makita due to their wide range of tools. Wanted to buy the multitool as well but can't really think of how I'm going to use it.

Bought a dewalt bcuz it's cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-Tool-DW059HB-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B00545PHI6/

But need to add another battery and charger.

For dewalt, you can wait for sale, sometimes you get extra 10% ~ 25% off at Amazon.

Local store, you can visit Horme at Ubi Crescent, but the price is a bit on the high side.

I've look at their Milwaukee right-angle drill, cost almost $500. I bought it off ebay, about $300 delivered to SG.

Check their price here:

http://www.horme.com.sg/

Hmm... haven't explore eBay to buy stuffs - will also check it out.

It is getting tough to support local with that kind of pricing.

For the battery, Amazon don't send right ?

Supersonic

Hmm... haven't explore eBay to buy stuffs - will also check it out.

It is getting tough to support local with that kind of pricing.

For the battery, Amazon don't send right ?

Lithium battery, sadly Amazon don't ship.

I only ordered the NiCd/charger combo.

If I want lithium battery, need to buy from ebay.

Some ebay seller can ship from USA, but Amazon is too strict.

If you want to built from a 18V cordless base, I agree you should stick to one brand.

So the same battery/charger can be reused.

Check out the tools you might or would need to use, whether that brand has most or all your requirements.

Generally, I find Makita, deWalt or Milwaukee will have what you're looking for.

Lithium battery, sadly Amazon don't ship.

I only ordered the NiCd/charger combo.

If I want lithium battery, need to buy from ebay.

Some ebay seller can ship from USA, but Amazon is too strict.

If you want to built from a 18V cordless base, I agree you should stick to one brand.

So the same battery/charger can be reused.

Check out the tools you might or would need to use, whether that brand has most or all your requirements.

Generally, I find Makita, deWalt or Milwaukee will have what you're looking for.

Looks like it is very likely my collection will be from overseas. [laugh]

Thanks.

Supersonic

One more thing is that the drive size makes a difference in torque.

Example, I use the same impact tool with a 3/8" extension to lock in a bolt.

I'm able to use the same setup to unbolt.

However, if now I switched to 1/4" extension, I'm not able to unbolt that which is driven in by 3/8" extension.

There is loss of torque when you use a smaller extension, even though the tool remains the same.

Using makita 18v for the last 4years. Have the following.

Vacuum cleaner

Impact wrench btw251

Impact wrench btw450

Angle grinder

Rotary impact drill.

Very pleased with them so far. All were bought from the USA including the battery and charger. Except the vacuum cleaner. Had to use a transformer as the charger is 120v.

Local prices for makita are crazy for most of the items. Thus everything bought from the U.S.

I would go for makita due to their wide range of tools. Wanted to buy the multitool as well but can't really think of how I'm going to use it.

Do you use it regularly? 4 years is rather good testimonial.

One more thing is that the drive size makes a difference in torque.

Example, I use the same impact tool with a 3/8" extension to lock in a bolt.

I'm able to use the same setup to unbolt.

However, if now I switched to 1/4" extension, I'm not able to unbolt that which is driven in by 3/8" extension.

There is loss of torque when you use a smaller extension, even though the tool remains the same.

That is an important point to note. Likely going for 1/2". Also found some adaptor to convert to hex !

↡ Advertisement